The cherry blend combines sweet-smoking cavendish leaf with a sound kick of cherry casing, for a very flavorful smoke. Exceptionally mild, delightfully aromatic.

BrandLane Limited
Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste

1.8
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

The cherry taste is too chemical-like, and is the dominant flavor. There's a light vanilla note or two here from the black cavendish that lurks throughout the smoke. The gold cavendish can be tasted, though it's toned down from the topping by design. Hardly has any nicotine. Burns too hot, and can bite if you are puffing beyond a moderate pace, which is the burn rate. Leaves too much moisture in the bowl, and needs some relights. An all day smoke.

Zappa2112 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zappa2112 (8)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

Tastes and smells like a cheap stale cherry chap-stick. Sort of plastic smelling. Cherry cough syrup maybe too. Very thick, sweet and syrupy pouch note. A tad bit dry. Overall, an unpleasant experience.

Update 1-30-2017: I'll up it one star. My original review might be a bit harsh, but still not as harsh as this blend can be haha. Far better cherry blends out there for sure, but this is tolerable if I'm in the mood for it.

hubup Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hubup (14)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Not a good choice for a real pipe smoker. This is the worst cherry i've ever smoked. No taste, smells like linctus. Hot burning tobacco.

jvnshr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jvnshr (23)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Pleasant

Smoking Captain Black Cherry is like struggling to train a wet angry biting but nice smelling dog that you managed to buy for a small price. Not Recommended.

Haebar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Haebar (52)

I wanted to try this blend because I like cherry aromatic blends and Captain Black is a very popular commercial blend. It is made of a mixture of Cavendish and Black Cavendish with a cherry casing. The appearance is of mostly reddish brown color ribbon cut with a very few black pieces. The tobacco is not overly moist or goopy at all. The aroma is a pleasant cherry smell, as one would expect. It lights easily right out of the pouch, no additional drying time is necessary. The flavor is a pleasant sweet cherry taste, nothing complex or of great depth here. This is a light/medium tobacco in terms of smoke intensity and light in terms of nicotine strength. The high point of the bowl is the first ten minutes after lighting when the cherry flavor is at its peak. Thereafter the cherry flavor wanes progressively as the bowl burns down. I smoked it in a Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipe and it burned cool and dry.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Washington

Age When Smoked: 1 year

captainbismo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
captainbismo (1)
Strong Strong Overwhelming Unnoticeable

ABSOLUTELY THE MOST LOATHSOME PIPE TOBACCO I'VE HAD THE MISPLEASURE OF SMOKING. I WOULD HAVE THROWN IT OUT IMMEDIATELY AFTER OPENING THE PACKAGE, BUT MY WIFE, IN AN EPISODE OF LUNACY BOUGHT ME THIS TRASH, AND FOR MARITAL HARMONEY I SMOKED VERY FEW BOWLS BEFORE FLUSHING IT DOWN THE TOILET. I'D RATHER SMOKE DRIED OAK/PINE LEAVES AS ME AND MY FRIENDS DID IN OUR EARLY ADOLESCENCE. ABSOLUTELY/POSITIVELY REVOLTING (AND THAT'S AN INSULT TO THE TERM REVOLTING)!!!!

Pipe Used: Canadian; meerschaum

Age When Smoked: ????

Purchased From: Smokin' Joes

Der Pfeifenraucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Der Pfeifenraucher (63)
Very Mild Extra Strong Full Extra Strong

I like to do a review of a tobacco once I've smoked a tin/pouch to get a fair assessment based on a couple dozen bowls. I can't do that with CBCherry. I can't bring myself to load another bowl with it. This stuff is nasty. Overpowering sickly sweet pouch note that you can smell across the room and permeates all tobacco it is stored with. Burns hot, terrible flavor, no appreciable nicotine, and for your trouble it ghosts your pipe like Halloween night. The saving grace is room note but by the time you get that far into it you are overpowered by the scent already and just want to be done with it. Got the pouch for $1 and I get the feeling I've been taken. Unfortunately I'm too cheap to discard it and I don't know any other pipe smokers to "gift" it to so I guess I'll use it to make an insecticide in the garden or chicken house.

Pipe Used: Dr Grabow grand duke

Purchased From: local yokel

Pappy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pappy (4)
Overwhelming Extra Strong Overwhelming Overwhelming

I thought this would at least be tolerable but after giving it a good try (a full pack), I have to say that it was complete disappointment.

It smelled like a very strong chemical topping, smoked hot with an extreme tongue bite and had the flavor of hot ash.

One of Captain Blacks extreme disappointments.

Greekpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greekpipesmoker (153)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

A really disappointing blend.like other C.Black blends i tried the philosophy is the same.full cavendish blends with chemical smell and not a hint of tobacco flavour.the smell when you beeak the seal is somewhat pleasant,the moisture is really high and even if i left it several hours to dry out it just didn't.while smoking the taste is bad and not natural.seems to me like chewing a cherry gum.no tobacco taste at all.burns really hot and ghosts the pipe very easy.one bowl was enough to destroy a 9mm carbon filter.even when i went hard on that i got no nicotine but only tongue bite wich is weird..the aftertaste is bad.the room note was pleasant but very tense.for someone who likes the C. Black's blends it can be an all day smoke.not recommended

Age When Smoked: Dried out for 2 hours.

von Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
von (1)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Has no tongue bite last I recall. I'm a little overwhelmed by the highly negative reviews of this product. Personally I do like this Captain Black Cherry. I enjoy the taste of cherry even if it's not the highest of quality or the balance with the tobacco. It's obviously not for everyone, but it's good for me.

Pipe Used: Ylyycc tobaco pipe

Age When Smoked: 20

AroBear Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AroBear (1)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I think that some reviewers are not aro smokers and others have different tastes. I smoke English oriental blends, but definitely have a very sweet tooth and always have. If you want CHERRY you get Cherry with Captain Black. I also like Gawith's Top Black, and Lane's Very Cherry, and have blended them together to experiment and with BCA also. Funny how when you go to P&C website, how different the rating of the toby is ... they rate it much higher than here.

Pipe Used: Dedicated pipes for Cherry

Age When Smoked: Weeks to Months

Purchased From: Latest from PipesandCigars.com

Similar Blends: I think Capt Black Cherry is unique with its own character.

Kiyle A Winborne Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kiyle A Winborne (4)
Medium Extra Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Overwhelming

Putrid, and smells bad.

Tastes bad, smells bad, is bad.

I cannot stress this enough, but if you do not believe me, I implore you to just take my word on it, and do not waste your money on this.

It tastes like cigarette tobacco with cherry flavoring put in.

Pipe Used: Terrible in all pipes.

Age When Smoked: ??

Purchased From: Gas Station

Artyom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Artyom (8)
Very Mild Very Strong Mild Pleasant

Its horrible! It's funny that this was my first tobacco. Chemical aroma without deep notes. Not a tobacco but garbage. There are so many cool aromatics in the word. Guys, never buy it.

Ahmad Othman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ahmad Othman (46)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Well, this is one of the first blends I have smoked and it was what my father smoked exclusively. So, it had some nostalgic value for me, which made me pick it up in the first place. But aside from nostalgia, it isn't a good blend whatsoever. The taste is quite chemical and it aches my tongue, even if it doesn't bite. It just gives it some ache. The cut is okay, but with a noticeable amount of twigs and stems within the pouch. It is quite moist out of the pouch..And it stays like this for a long long time. the only good thing about it is the aroma out of the pouch and the room note which people complement

Pipe Used: Falcon Apple, Algiers

Age When Smoked: Fresh pouch

Purchased From: Local B&M

Similar Blends: Borkum Riff - Cherry Cavendish.

pipesmoker33 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipesmoker33 (18)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

First of all, I've never been a big fan of cherry tobaccos, but every once in a while the mood will strike me. Usually keep a few ounces of Boswell Cherry Smash around for such an occation.

But I had a coupon for 5 dollars off a pouch of any Captain Black. And since I already have almost 2 pounds of Lane 1Q, and 3 unopened pouches of Captain Black Royal , I decided to give the Cherry a try. It only cost me $1.69. It wasn't the worst tobacco I ever had, but it was darn close. Sickening taste. Like robitussn cough syrup.

I wouldn't recommend using a good briar. It will ghost the hell out of it

Pipe Used: Mm cob

Age When Smoked: Fresh from pouch

Purchased From: Seneca smoke shop

Nwpipesmker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nwpipesmker (27)
Very Mild Very Strong Mild Pleasant

Against better judgement and wisdom. I broke down and bought a pouch. First cherry from CB in years. Opening up the pouch the strong vicks cherry cough syrup hit me, and I thought oh boy wasted my money. But I packed my pipe lit it. And guess what it was a pleasant smoke. Light on the cherry flavor. And no goopy in the bowl. So it's not my every day choice. But I will finish the pouch. It also stayed lit no bite. CB must have changed their formula. Still only getting two stars.

Pipe Used: Cob

Purchased From: The tobacco depot

Similar Blends: Borkum riff cherry cavendish.

Appalachian Scholar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Appalachian Scholar (34)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Cherry flavored e-cig. Same low nicotine count. Same low smoke. Are you really smoking tobacco? Tune in next week. Final warning - most ghostinst blend ever made.

Pipe Used: Basket Pipe

Similar Blends: Admiral's choice cherry blend..

wintermute Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wintermute (59)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Strong

Normally, I am kinder to these drugstore blends than some, but not this time. I do have a different take, however. My wife does not like the aroma and I first thought that the tobacco taste was not too bad. The pouch aroma is sort of like cherry, but there is a chemical smell. It burns nicely and the chemical flavor stays the same all the way to the bottom of the bowl. The best I can come up with is the smell of burning baby wipes! And, the bowl tastes like that even when putting something else. After two bowls I threw the rest away. This stuff is truly awful. If you want a good Cherry, try Peter Stokkebye Cherry instead.

Pipe Used: corn cob

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (150)
Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

This blend features a combination of cheap tasting cherry flavoring agent and the goopy, sweet mess that one comes to expect from the Captain Black brand. For those who really, truly do not want to taste tobacco when they smoke a pipe, this is for you. Next step from here would be an 'e-pipe'. But like all Captain Black products, those around you will enjoy the aroma. Small consolation.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Well, I like it. I bought this on a whim and was scared when I opened the pouch; the cherry aroma was strong. The first light and first quarter of the bowl taste like chemical cherry, but after that it dissipates and you are left with a sweet and pleasant Cavendish. The cherry flavor is present throughout the bowl but it becomes less and less pronounced as you progress thru the bowl.

As far as bite: I experienced none.

Another big surprise is that my pouch was not overly moist or sticky. I don't know if Lane just changed the blend or what, but the tobacco was dry.

I think this is the only Cherry blend that I have actually enjoyed and will keep around.

Sunday Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sunday (25)

Because I only smoke OTC aromatic & burley blends and because I have tried countless cherry pipe tobaccos I feel compelled to stick up for Captain Black's Cherry blend. It's not near as bad as reviewers state. I think the overall quality of the tobacco is good, the taste and aftertaste is much better than others and the room note is very good. Yes, the pouch note is slightly overwhelming but once lit and enjoyed it delivers a very satisfying pipe smoke. No bite if sipped, no extra re-lights needed and tons of mild smoke and flavor, after (only) six years of pipe smoking I'm not afraid to say that this is great, just as good as their Red Sky if not the exact same.

Pipe Used: Stanwell, MM Diplomat

Age When Smoked: Less than old

Purchased From: wvsmokeshop.com

Similar Blends: Most all other cherry blends.

Quincy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Quincy (6)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

One word: Yuck.

I picked up a pouch with a pipe when I first returned to pipes. I didn't mind it at first. Now, after being back into pipes for awhile, I know why people don't smoke this crap. It tastes like cough syrup. I didn't notice it at first but maybe because my palate refined more or this just ages horridly, I can't take it. Awful.

HabaneroHardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HabaneroHardy (46)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

I always get a laugh when I read a review that starts out something like this. “I normally do not smoke cherry blends….” and then they go and describe how nasty it is and trash it. Maybe my tastes buds are not as good as they use to be or I simply have bad taste but I found this cherry blend to be mild and did not bite like some others I have tried. I got what I expected with it being a Captain Black blend and it really wasn’t bad at all. I wouldn’t throw it away like some reviewers have. 3 stars in my book.

Pipe Used: Meershaum

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Pazuzu93 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pazuzu93 (3)
Very Mild Very Strong Mild Tolerable to Strong

I already reviewed CB Grape, so if you're interested in what I thought of that monstrosity, check it out. While my pouch of CB Grape came bone dry, this one was a goopy mess. Smells like Cherry Kool Aid powder and that's exactly what it tastes like when you smoke it. The artificial cherry smell is so strong I could smell it through the shrink wrap the pouch came in, and all my other pouches that came in the same box reeked like it. This has approximately no real tobacco flavor. I was hoping that the cherry flavor would be more natural and subtle, but this is not the case. If you want to smoke something that tastes nothing like actual tobacco, this is it.

Pipe Used: MM Eaton, handmade pear wood pipe

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the warehouse

Similar Blends: Cherry Kool Aid, Cherry chapstick, cherry cough drops, cherry car air fresheners, NOT similar to actual cherries.

Lazarus77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lazarus77 (87)
Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Very big dissatisfaction.Bland and horrible tobacco.From pouch coming strange chemical flavouring. No cherry smell at all. Burns hot, gives tongue bite, huge harshness. Completely tasteless stuff. Very bad aftertaste. Skip away, not recommending at all..... Lazarus77

Pipe Used: Various

Purchased From: Local shop

Mild Strong Mild Pleasant

Lane Limited - Captain Black Cherry.

O.K., this isn't perfect, but I don't find it as abhorrent as the higher proportion of reviewers do!

It's a coarse cut mix that has a far greater amount of brown/golden Cavendish compared to any black. The smell is strong, and yes, also exceedingly false (like the smoke).

A good level of hydration enabled my first bowl to be smoked straight away. As I said, the smoke has a very false taste of cherries to it, being sweet and strongly aromatic, but I see it a bit like making a comparison between a cup of Kopi Luwak coffee, and one from McDonalds; sometimes you want something eminent and expensive to savour and enjoy, but on other occasions you require something for a quick fix! If you want a high end cherry blend go visit Sam Gawith's Black Cherry, but for some cheap thrills this'll do nicely! I get very little from the tobaccos, the cherry has been included in far to strong a fashion. On a low note, something that would deter cheap thrill seekers and connoisseurs alike is the speed: very fast.

The nicotine's mild, and the room-note's pleasing.

Sure, it isn't the best cherry blend, but nor is it the worst.

Two and a half stars.

Pipe Used: Cob

DC MacBean Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DC MacBean (29)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I can't understand the negative reviews. What's wrong with Cherry cough drops? I like them. My Grandfather smoked this and loved it. I buy it because he did and the smell reminds me of him. I found an open pouch of it down in the cushions of a couch that I inherited from him and it was still good after several years. I don't think that it had as much PG in it back then as it does now because I don't recall him complaining of a headache after smoking it which is something that I experience. It does bite if you're not careful but most Cherry aromatics do. It's an American Classic.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob, Briarwood, Pear wood, Cherry wood

Age When Smoked: fresh to several years old.

Purchased From: Cup O' Joe's, Pipes&Cigars, West Virginia Smokeshop, Keller's Farm Supply, Weatherwax Drug Store

Similar Blends: Lane Limited Very Cherry.

Cowboy johnny Joe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cowboy johnny Joe (1)

Trying to find the perfect pipe tobacco is like trying to find the perfect woman impossible but you keep trying. Captain Black Cherry is an attempt by me to find the perfect cherry flavered tobacco. Lane made a splinded cherry in the 60's and I smoked it in the Navy. I forget the name they had but it was tinned.

Captain Black Cherry is is blended by Lane as was the Cherry I loved so much back then. Great flaver and aroma. Room note pleasant not overpowering.

Smokes well but relights often needed. To me it left a pleasant after taste a little syrup that I find very nice unlike many who do not like it.

I recommend this to beginers and medium advanced pipe smokers. I am neither but a seasoned one. I will keep using this brand till I find my lost cherry blend from the old Navy days.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob

Purchased From: Mission Pipe Shop San Jose CA

Similar Blends: Cherry Blend.

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (166)
Mild Very Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

I did not think it as bad as the other reviewers. It does have a very strong cherry flavor. It's a cherry bomb! Maybe a little too much like cherry cough syrup though. As usual, I mixed it with some cube cut burley which gave it the needed body and nic hit. 2.5 stars

Biter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Biter (5)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

This is another otc tobacco that is over the top in cherry flavor. The rest is the same as most otc tobaccos , a fill in before the real stufff arives. The use of more steamed cavendish would smooth this blend out and make it more enjoyable.

Pipe Used: Corns and Medico's

Age When Smoked: 65

Purchased From: local smoke shop

Similar Blends: Middletons.

Giovanni Palomino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Giovanni Palomino (21)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

The pouch aroma is quite desepcionante seems a remedy for cough cherry or a pedialite's Cherry is more the character of a drug that of a good mixture of tobacco, but smoking it its aroma in the room is very nice Burns pretty well and not very warm which helps care for the language gives you fumadas very peaceful and relaxing.

Pipe Used: Mark Twain Corn Cob Pipe

Purchased From: Centro de Bogota

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (184)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This stuff is very Mild, the cherry flavour and taste also. not bad, but it is not the best Captain Black's tobacco, neither the best Cherry.

juvat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
juvat (36)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I don't dislike CB Cherry per se, but as others have mentioned there are better cherry blends out there. This stuff isnt all bad though and it seems to taste a little better with some age on it (I've had some in mason jar for about a year now) which is nice considering that aromatics usually dont age well. And of course the room note is great.

Having said that, if cherry aromatics are your thing then obviously it would behoove you to seek out some of the better ones. However, as a cheap, once in awhile smoke, its ok.

mnadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mnadz (66)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

You either like Cherry flavoring or you do not. I use to use "Dip" back in my day. All I could think about when I smelled and smoked this is it should be tucked in my lower lip. Not sure if I will smoke any Cherry blend due to my experience with this.

manxman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manxman (57)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

No tongue bite. A pretty fair deal at $5.99 a pouch here in Connecticut. More cherry flavor than Middletons.

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

On its own I do not care for this blend. Its a bit too medicine like for my tastes. I found that if I blend one package of Cherry with four packages of Capt Black Royal, it becomes a very nice smoke and gives the Royal a nice cherry kick.

Update: Again on its own, this blend is not very good, where it shines is blending with other tobaccos. I find that one package of Cherry will flavor one pound of tobacco. Very excellent tobacco for blending but on its own, not any fun.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (117)
Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Tolerable

Still the best part of the Cherry to land into your mouth. Through your pipe that is. This Cherry blends has Balls. Good heavy smoke not even bad with an occasional Inhale. NOT Your usual Cherry.

OK this blend is not for the smoker looking for a soft smoke aromatic cherry blend or room pleaser. This is a fully loaded cavendish with a good amount of nicotine. You have to smoke it slow or it will bite. For a cherry blend I love this stuff smokes better in a larger bowl.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (102)
Very Mild Very Strong Mild Pleasant

This is a good, inexpensive (cheap) cherry aromatic blend that is ideal for someone starting out(with a cherry sweet-tooth). A solid prforming drugstore blend. If you don't like cherry or aromatics then don't expect to like it, obviously. A few things...

Right off you might want to try this in a corn cob pipe or other non-expensive pipe. The first few bowls definitely left my aromatic briar reeking of cherry so I switched to my trusty cobs. The flavor reeked (that word again) so strongly out of the pouch I kept the pouch in a sandwich bag so the flavor didn't infuse my other bagged aromatics.

Smoking: CB smoked smooth, cool and had a pleasant cherry taste. Cherry blend definitely got more tolerable half-way through the bag when the casing/flavorings wore off a bit. The last half of the bag I could smoke in my briar. And the wearing off casing/flavoring is of course common with aromatics. Still, a smooth, cool, pleasant smoke.

Outdoor smoking is probably best with this pungent blend. I smoked it in my home office and while the room note is very pleasant the after smell the next day reminded me of a urinal cake! Still, I walked home smoking it on a moonlit, November Boston evening last night and it was a thoroughly enjoyable smoke.

This is not a high class blend etc.. it's a drugstore blend. I usually smoke all the oo-la-la upscale English/orientals and ocaasionally the big name aromatics. I certainly have smoked better cherry blends but this blend is a good cheap smoke and fun. And pipe smoking is suppose to be fun.

Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe (18)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Had to try it, it was on the shelf at the smoke shop,

Absolutely BAD.

Why would the MFG continue to make this blend?

not even worth a 2nd bowl. I just hope I can save this pipe.

Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

My feelings on this blend mirror those below, so no need to get into them in detail.

My review is to share a nice discovery that worked really well with this blend. I added about 75% Cornell & Diehl Kelly's Coin (any dark, strong burley would probably work) to 25% of this and got a very decent and robust tobacco flavor with a hint of cherry. I made this in small batches so the burley wouldn't just soak up the cherry syrup if stored too long. The nicotine was seriously elevated and the flavor was also amped up considerably.

Don't throw this away if you have it! Try this recipe, or add more or less of the Kelly's Coin to your taste. It's not something I'll smoke again unless I'm gifted another pouch of this from a well-meaning but unsuspecting colleague, but it saved me having to toss this mess into the nearest trash receptacle.

BigNick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigNick (58)
Mild Medium Overwhelming Very Pleasant

Smoking this is like slowly killing your pipe,smoke after smoke and it dies of a heart attack. Even though that sounds poetic its true. This artificial crap just clogged my pipe. It was all syrup, tasted like cherry cough syrup, and bit my tongue. There are pros to it of course; like all candy aromatics it smells awesome in the bag and smells just as nice when smoked. Cherry flavoring is so much like vanilla, there's good ways to make em' and bad ways to make em'. This is a bad way. Ohh for those who do want to try and brave this baccy, I would advise to smoke only in a cob, for the exact reason I aforementioned.

KahveDelisi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KahveDelisi (52)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Overwhelming

Hi, my name is Pollyanna and this is a foul bodied, cave n' dish cherry chapstick. too bad I don't have a cowhide-tongue.

ribbon cut is a plus for easy gifting.

Hiram Briar 23 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hiram Briar 23 (12)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

a decent alternative to prince albert. it smells pretty so your mom wont complain about the smell coming from your bedroom. I recommend getting a job and treating yourself to something better, you deserve better things man, dont let anyone tell you youll be a captain black man forever! Aspire to greater things! I believe in you! and you should too!

paulw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulw (52)
Overwhelming Extra Strong Overwhelming Extra Strong

I love capt black white, gold, and royal, but cherry was a major let down. The pouch smelled of rancid chemicals, the tobacco was nasty. and smoking yuck you get the point, Again I love capt black but not this one!

ynrozturk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ynrozturk (60)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Tolerable

gross? ?[grohs]

Show IPA adjective,-er, -est, noun,pluralgross

–adjective

1. without deductions; total, as the amount of sales, salary, profit, etc., before taking deductions for expenses, taxes, or the like (opposed to net): gross earnings; gross sales.

2. unqualified; complete; rank: a gross scoundrel.

3. flagrant and extreme: gross injustice.

4. indelicate, indecent, obscene, or vulgar: gross remarks.

5. lacking in refinement, good manners, education, etc.; unrefined.

6. large, big, or bulky.

7. extremely or excessively fat.

8. thick; dense; heavy: gross vegetation.

9. of or concerning only the broadest or most general considerations, aspects, etc.

10. Slang. extremely objectionable, offensive, or disgusting: He wore an outfit that was absolutely gross.

Please see numbers 2, 4 and 5.

Piper4ever Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper4ever (11)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

After more than twenty years without a cherry tobacco in my rotation in a holiday's trip, I tried Captain Black Cherry and liked it, out of the bag its aroma is good, although after a couple of weeks on C.B. Cherry, I tried Pipeworks & Wilke's Cherry Cavendish and the difference is noticeable in Aroma, Flavor and Taste, C.B. Cherry is weak in flavor and taste, aroma is not too bad although at the end of your bowl the tobacco becomes a Pit Bull, let's say, full of bite, even in slow pace. I do recommend Captain Black Cherry only in that case that you cannot reach your favorite blend from your tobacconist, but from the Captain Black's line-up, White and Royal seem to be better options.

muntajab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
muntajab (11)
Medium to Strong Very Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I've tried Captain Black Cherry twice. Once using a pipe with a carbon filter, and it didn't taste so bad. The other time was when I quit carbon filters pipes; with steel filter pipes it tasted terrible; it was so strong and you feel you are smoking anything except tobacco.

If you want cherry flavor, go get some flavored juice, biscuits or gums, but if you want to smoke pipe, I wouldn't recommend fruity flavors.

pipe pirate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe pirate (6)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

=== ==========very tasty========== I can,t find it in any store in the town I live in.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Mild to Medium Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

strongly cased tobacco yet it impress people like no other tobacco i have ever smoked ,,ppl just love it(which happens to be a key point in choosing my tobacco),,however on this occasion its ur choice(your pleasure or peoples complement) which i dont mind to be honest!! hold the fire well if left to dry and or smoked very slowly, a pipe should be dedicated as the taste will be there for quite sometime ,, you can barely find the cavendish among the casing added. try it if you like a very sweet taste to your smoke.

Dov of the Galilee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dov of the Galilee (31)
Very Mild Very Strong Full Pleasant

I love it and sadly miss it being imported to Israel. In a few weeks time I will be in America where I can buy the share of everyone who doesn't like it. I'm always open to gifts being sent to me of unwanted portions!

Pkloop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pkloop (52)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

This smells good when you can get it to burn..and as an added bonus..It smokes wet & hot for those of you who may seek such an experience!

There must be better cherry tobac's out there..and I'll leave that up to other pipesters to find out. I haven't had any luck so far.

Very Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

A strongly synthetic tasting blend. It is not particularly inexpensive either. There are many cherry blends that are much better than this. I'm not even sure this has tobacco in it...

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (180)
Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Upon opening the pouch I smelled cherry bubble gum, very sweet smelling and I started to have reservations about what was in store. It packed well and lit very easily. The taste was similar to Middletons Cherry Blend, it hit me as overwhemling and quickly faded into blandness. After about 30 seconds all I could detect was a slight hint of casing. As most flavored tobaccos do, it produced a fair amount of tounge bite, but that was to be expected.

It took me a while to track this down, as it is not readily available in my neck of the woods. After going through the effort to find it I can report that it was a wasted effort. It tasted flat and sweet. Try Macbarens Cherry Ambrosia if cherry tobacco really interests you.