Mild to medium flue-cured Virginias from Zimbabwe and the Carolina's blended with sweet Black Cavendish and a hint of toasted white Burley. Tobacco cut: Loose cut and Cavendish. Tobacco Flavor/Aroma: Generously laced with aged whiskey from the Scottish highlands for flavor.

BrandPeter Stokkebye
FlavoringWhisky
Strength
Taste
aadelma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aadelma (55)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Here is a well blended aromatic which even dedicated smokers of English mixtures seem to enjoy. It has a wonderful whiskey aroma in the pouch and is shipped quite wet. Unfortunately, once I dried it out to the proper humidity, much of the whiskey aroma was gone, leaving mainly a chocolate aroma. That caveat aside, it packs and burns very nicely once dried. Both the room note and flavor are a tasteful blend of base tobaccos and the chocolate/whiskey essences. The first half of the smoke has a nice coolness which I have noted in other liquor flavored tobaccos such as Esoterica Pembroke (flavored with cognac) and Cornell and Diehl Apricots and Cream (flavored with apricot brandy). There is some light burley in the blend which adds a nice bit of strength, favor, and piquancy. Towards the bottom of the bowl, the flavor is predominated by straight tobacco rather than the blandness of many aromatics. This has become a favorite of mine to smoke while telecommuting due to it's medium strength, flavor, and ease of keeping lit.

Update: After torturing myself with a number of awful blends in the ALTADIS sampler, I'm revisiting some of my favorite aromatics. I haven't smoked this in quite some time and forgot just how good it is. It stays lit and burns slowly, never overheating. There is natural tobacco flavor which the additives complement very well. There is a bit of bite which I could do without, but nothing compared to the ALTADIS garbage. Yes, there are good aromatics out there, and this is one of them.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 9

After Taste = 9

Raw Score = 54

Rated Percentage = 90%

Comment = Smooth, Mild, very slight After Taste, PS-38 Highland Whiskey is much better than PS-2 Whiskey. This is one of the best Whiskey Aromatics that I have ever tried.

RyeWhiskey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyeWhiskey (43)

This was my first venture into bulk PS and I bought two ounces. Great looking tobacco, and it has a nice aroma. You can just get the whiskey scent on top, with some nice Cavendish. This mixture smoked great. This was one of those very nice, ahh that's why I smoke pipes blend. I've tried it in my Peterson, and my cobs and it's great everytime. I went back to buy more and will always have this on hand. One of my go-to blends.

I notice a very, very slight hint of cocoa, but the whiskey flavor is why you buy it. All the flavors noted are there, tastes fine, and once you dry it a bit, burns decently. If you're looking for an aro with the whiskey taste, this is as good as any. I ought to give it 2 and a half stars, but I settle for two because I just don't rate it as a three for my personal taste. However, for tobaccos in this genre, it does rate three stars. Inexpensive, consistent, and for what it's meant to be, worth the money.

downeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
downeck (2)

This blend received some below average reviews, but I found it to be sweet and tasty. It leaves a pleasant aroma in the room and it burns well. I recommend it as a nice smoke late in the evening.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Peter Stokkebye Highland Whiskey . The unlit mixture is of a brilliant appearance , a perfect visual treat of all the different colours of the Tobaccos , right from Jet Black up to light Brown . Considering that this is an Aromatic the aroma is very light with only a slight "Whiskey" note to it but the moisture level is perfect , where you are just certain it will light with ease and sustain the burn well , which it does . Now , the smoke ..... again , like the unlit aroma the Whiskey is lighter than expected in an Aromatic , still noticeable with ease , it's just not too strong . The Black Cavendish is the least prominent flavour , you only pick it out if you look for it decidedly but the Burley and Virginia share the lead in quite an equal fashion . As I mentioned earlier it burns well and it is incredibly steady but on the negative side the burn and smoke are a touch too hot , necessitating a cool drink on the side . Nicotine level is just about right for me (about Peterson Old Dublin level) and if I inhale the smoke it causes no discomfort . If it wasn't for the hotter smoke and my mouth feeling slightly languished afterwards it would get 4 stars , alas due to this it only scores 3 !

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: Smoke King

Mateo Torgy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mateo Torgy (7)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I purchased four ounces of this tobacco from my B&M (Stogies On Grand) when I returned to pipe smoking after a long hiatus. This evening I smoked a bowl and, surprisingly, it blew me away. It was very smooth, flavorful, complex for an aromatic, and just enjoyable to smoke in that it stayed lit and smoked cool. The room note is pleasant -- cask whiskey barrel. This is a great bulk option that I'll likely add to my next online purchase. It won't make my starting rotation. The only aro that has is a 50/50 mix of Lane 1Q and BCA. But this will make for a good middle reliever due to its distinctive taste and smell. Recommended.

DavidP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DavidP (24)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I was impressed with this blend. As it is my first whiskey flavored aromatic I expected a punch in the face of strong booze character but instead I was greeted with a delicate yet noticeable whiskey note on top of a bready-sweet, woody base. Very nice stuff and a good value to boot. It seems to smoke on the hot side though.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

This was one of my two first "go to" blends, the other of course being 1-Q. Although I haven't had this one in some time, I can still remember the pleasant peaty taste, I actually ended up aging some of this for two years and it held it's flavor. I felt that the tobacco and flavoring married nicely over that time and it was an excellent smoke when I came back to it, even though it was very one dimensional, it was still quite enjoyable around the campfire with the guys, I would pass out some cobs and then pass around a baggie of HW and we would all have a brew. Good memories! I would recommend this to anyone as a first smoke or to those who prefer aromatics! Has a nice smell and a decent room note!

Thorre Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thorre (27)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I found this blend to be a very pleasant surprise. Far superior to Stokkebye's other whiskey blend. This blend smokes much cooler, and has more tobacco flavor than the other. It has a very nice scotch aroma and taste. I have had nothing but compliments on the room note. When I packed my pipe with the Frank method, it burned down to a white ash, with no goop. I wish I had ordered more.

Uncle Arthur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uncle Arthur (15)

I tried this as a sample early last spring and found it tasty but didn't order it in bulk until later when I found that about all my favorite online sellers were out of English Luxury. Grabbed five pounds and have about three cellered. For me it is a very nice flavorful tobacco with a nice room note. No gurgle no tongue bite. In short I like it a lot and would recommend it.

Shadow Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shadow (3)

If this tobacco is too dry then you will be given a serious tongue bite. I purchased this in 5 pound bulk, and when I received the tobacco, it was so dry that it would burn to hot. My solution was sprinkling a little water into the tobacco and mixing the tobacco up. That has seemed to reduce the tongue bite, and increased the flavor quite a bit.

Kunsan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kunsan (42)

Nice genuine tobacco tastes and smells, accompanied by a slight sweet whiskey casing. There's also some sweetness and hay from the Virginias and a little bit of nuttiness presumably from some Burley. Smoked easily with a good amount of smoke, no relights needed all the way to the bottom. Left a clean white ash. No dottle or wetness.

This is a pleasant, everyday tobacco, available at a bargain price.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (89)

For the money and the genre this is 4 stars.

Not overly strong but not weak either. Middle of the road i guess. Body builds as you smoke down. The nicotine is mild to lower medium, but it's there, which is more than i can say for most aro's (they seem to be nicotine free to me). Most importantly, this is not gloopey city. The additives have been lightly done which makes this smokable for those who don't love excessive PG and the like. Finally, tongue bite is not a problem if you smoke at a slow or moderate pace. Smoked hard (as i occasionally do when not concentrating) will cause some mild bite but nothing terrible. Did i mention the great value for money on this stuff - $27 per lb.

I only smoke aromatics occasionally and when i do they need to be good for me to enjoy them. This is.

Pipe Used: My Aro Briar

Purchased From: 4Noggins

bob323 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bob323 (44)

Bit the hell out of me...But, then again a lot of Aro's will do that if your not careful...Yes, Boys and Girls, this is an Aro and not a Scottish blend...However, that does not make this a bad blend, you just have to be careful while smoking...Don't puff like the proverbial steam engine...For those of you like me who tend to forget and puff too quickly, after you finish wrapping your tongue in bandages for the rest of the day you might try this: mix one part Highland Whisky to three parts Lane Limited 1-Q...You won't be disappointed...The 1-Q takes the edge off the Highland Whisky and the Highland Whisky wakes up the monochromatic 1-Q.

BlacksmithTim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BlacksmithTim (7)

My first few bowls of this I was unimpressed. But a friend gave me a few ounces to sample and as I worked through the bag it has begun to grow on me. A fairly straightforward whiskey Cavendish in my book, packs easy and burns well.

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (68)

I love P.S. tobaccos, almost the only brand I smoke but this one smokes a bit hot if you're not careful. Puffed slowly, it's not too bad, but the whisky flavor ain't what I'd pour over the rocks. Burns clean. I packed this a little more loosely than normal, as it was a bit moist. Once this two ounce pouch is gone, I don't think I'll be buying any more. My B&M has a lot of the P.S. offerings, and I've been trying them out, with a few that are definitely keepers. But for me this one could use something in the blend that's just not there for me...

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

PS always comes through with good tobacco and this is no different. I can taste virginia from start to finish with a hint of whisky to keep it interesting. Room note is soft and not and not real smokey( I like smokey though) Nice change of pace, but won't be in the rotation.

Fellow traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fellow traveler (64)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The sweet black cavendish takes over right from the start, to me it seemed just like Nougat ( PS-24 ).

After the topping burns off the flavor is a mild tasty virginia with the chocó cavendish in the forefront. It is a nice blend but does not remind me of whiskey at all, and I prefer Nougat for my chocó sweet fix.

One suggestion for dry tobacco is to breath gently into the bowl 5 or 6 times before lighting, the moisture in your breath will rehydrate it. I have not tried it, but it sounded good.

Past Master Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Past Master (17)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

First of all, there is no "e" in the word "whisky" when speaking of Scottish whisky or "Highland whisky". The "e" only appears on the left side of the Atlantic, in the "whiskeys" of North America: Bourbon, Rye, Tennessee, Canadian, etc. That having been said, I don't who is guilty of this spelling error. Does Peter Stokkebye actually advertise this blend as "Highland Whiskey" with an "e"? Or is this grievous error one that only appears here on this page?

Anyway, I have a basic problem with tobaccos that claim to be "flavored" with whisk(e)y, either with or without the "e". Either a blend is flavored with something else that really isn't whisk(e)y, or it really IS flavored with whisk(e)y. If it IS flavored with whisk(e)y then its a waste, because whisk(e)y is about 99 percent alcohol and water which, by themselves, are both tasteless, and most of it will evaporate long before you smoke whatever tobacco you've put it on.

That leaves something less than 1 percent of the whisk(e)y which comprise the natural impurities transferred from the mash during the distilling process as well as the actual oak essence from the inside of the charred barrel in which the whisk(e)y was aged. It's these impurities that give whisk(e)y its caramel color and characteristic flavor. And this is what might flavor any tobacco.

We can argue about the finer points of where whisk(e)y gets its flavors, but the real point is that its a damn poor waste of any whisk(e)y to go pouring it on pipe tobacco thinking that will improve the flavor of either. It won't. Keep the whisk(e)y in your glass and put the tobacco in your pipe.

Of course, the other possibility is that it is actually flavored by something else that the manufacturer imagines tastes something like whisk(e)y. I shudder to think.

Not surprisingly, this blend has only received six reviews prior to mine over a two- year period. Of those six reviews, only two give it a 3-star rating, three reviewers give it a 2-star rating, and one gives it a 1-star. I've tried it and will give it two- stars, but only because the tobacco is from Peter Stokkebye. I would have probably given it a good solid 3-star rating if it didn't have the "flavoring."

Jeremy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jeremy (19)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

COMMENTS: Whiskey flavor is mild but enjoyable. Allow to dry for many hours prior to smoking it. Once dry it is a fine smoke, although not one I'd write home about. (Instead, I'm writing you about it.) If I were given more I would not throw it out. I might mix it with a little more VA to increase its strength slightly.

CONS: Exceedingly wet. Difficult to light, impossible to keep lit until dried out more. Lacks nicotine kick.

PROS: Mild, with virtually no bite whatsoever. Room note is pretty good. For those who enjoy light aromatics this is probably a 3-star blend due to decent taste (when smoked slowly and dried out) and nice room note.

1968Billy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
1968Billy (13)

I was at Rupp Arena and passed a Straus tobacconist store before entering. I knew I was going to stop in after the game and did so. Suprised to find three Peter Stokkebye blends in bulk jars. Bought two ounces. Out of the bag the aroma was strong and the tobacco was moist. I had no idea it would smoke so well. With 2 matches I smoked it 2/3 through the bowl. Suprising because it was so moist. The flavor gives way half way through to more tobacco taste. Upon smoking it tasted like it might have the complexity of three tobaccos. Was glad to note above that indeed it did contain some Virginia, from Zimbabwe of all places. The price, ease of staying lit, and the happiness of an unexpected "find" rate the blend high with me. I've smoked it in two other pipes and it was consistant in all. With time, and the mellowing of the flavoring, could this tobacco get even better toward the bottom of the bag? I think I did well for my first Stokkebye bulk blend. Initally it was a 4 star blend, but to compare it with my other ratings, it's recommended, but not a highly my other 4 star picks. This tobacco had been a 3 and 4 star performer for me, but to be fair to the other tobaccos I've tried and smoked, it drops to 2 stars.

fatherDougal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fatherDougal (28)

A good friend gave me a sample of this fine blend from a tobacconist in Carbondale, Illinois ("Yesteryear"). I always find the range of aromas available in the pipe-game amazing; this tobak smells sweet and toasty, as most Cavendish's do, but with a warm breath of whiskey barrel at the bottom. At first light, there is nothing too special, and throughout the bowl(s)I only got wiffs from the dram that comes through the smoke like mellow drops of whiskey on your tongue. It comes and goes. The tobacco seems top notch, and smokes clean to the bottom. What astounds me is the price; between $1-$2 a bulk-ounce makes this a sweet deal. A mild aromatic for those who don't do..."aromatic".

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (76)

I tried this tobacco some time ago, as to my recollection, here it goes... Overall, this blend failed for me due to the whiskey casing but the base tobaccos have merit. It is a light to medium in strength, cool enough on the palette blend that smokes on the drier side for aromatics. The dry, semi sweet black cavendish provides much of the backbone and successfully ties the other leaf ingredients together. The ample virginias provide enough body to make the base blend a satisfying smoke with the burly component offsetting the otherwise virginia heat, broadening the character and of coarse, the black cav obliges in this regard also. The Black cave has a nice "dry sweetness" with what may be a discrete note of vanilla producing a semi sweet and darker character. But, the whiskey casing seemed to clash for me. It has a bitter aftertaste that I just didn't appreciate to the point it ruined the blend for me. I noticed a similar bitter character in Gawith's whisky aromatic blend so, It must be the whiskey. The leaf blend is good and would provide an excellent platform for other straight forward mild casings but this concoction in total fails for me.