PipesAndCigars

A blend of ripe Virginia tobacco spiced with pure Louisiana Perique. The distinctive aroma of Perique combined with the natural sweetness of Virginia tobaccos provides a wonderful characteristic taste. The center of mellow, fermented Black Cavendish serves to smoothen the general impression and rounding the taste. It is all a handcrafted process from selecting the best tobacco, blending, rolling, cutting, and packing. The result is an unparalleled smoking experience.

Notes: This replaced "Luxury Curly Cut" in the P.S. lineup in 2006, and is now one of their best sellers in the American market.

BrandPeter Stokkebye
Taste

RickPiatt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RickPiatt (16)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Up front, what you need to know about the reviewer:

I'm a lover of VAs, Burleys, Englishes - this tobacco should be right up my alley.

I'm a very slow smoker - typical bowl takes 1hr45min. I sip my pipes, I don't guzzle the smoke.

I'm a complete nicotine whimp. Yup, when it comes to nicotine, I'm a girly man.

The pipe I tested this in was my oldest. Its not a high priced pipe but its well seasoned with a strong cake buildup and it always smokes like dream. The last tobacco smoked in it was Wessex Burley Slice - there shouldn't be any noticeable cross over after the first few minutes.

I'm typically bad at folding flakes and stuffing them into pipes - takes me too many relights for my liking ...

ok, lets get to it:

Even though I'm bad at folding and stuffing flakes (heck, the coins are big enough to be treated like flakes in this tobacco folks) I took two coins, folded them and stuffed them into my Bjarne Viking Classic Bent Bulldog. The pipe is a good group 4+ size. I rubbed a little of the tobacco out fully to top the bowl with to make lighting easier.

This tobacco is a no nonsense half dollar sized coin of VA with (apparently) a 1/4" spot in the center of uncased Cavendish. It smells of a hay field on a dewy morning - quite inviting to a VA smoker.

Initial char, tamp, and relight: This tobacco is perfect moisture-wise! It lit with ease and there was absolutely NO tongue bite whatsoever. The flavor is kind of bland at initial lite up. The room note seems to be as expected just a pure VA tobacco so it is not likely to be a wife pleaser, but its not bad at all to my senses.

First 1/3 bowl: the tobacco kept up a nice, pleasant, yet unremarkable VA flavor for the first 1/3 of the bowl. Its nothing to write home about so far, but not bad for a VA. I'm sure this is the same VA component used in Luxury Navy Flake so if you like LNF, you're going to love this tobacco as well. There is NO tongue bite at all so far.

2nd 1/3 bowl: the flavors are blossoming nicely now. The VA tobacco is filling out and getting much sweeter than in the beginning. Somewhere in the middle of this third of the bowl something noticeably sweet crossed my palate. I know this sounds weird, but I think the ember just reached one of the Cavendish bullseyes. The flavor lasted for only a minute or so, but it was a wonderful explosion of sweetness that was totally unexpected. There is still no tongue bite at all, this stuff is as smooth as silk but the nicotine levels are rising and my head is starting to spin. I put the pipe aside for about 15 minutes to stop the spinning ... lets see how this tobacco does DGTd (albiet, a short DGT).

Final 1/3 bowl: This tobacco just keeps on delivering. No ashy flavor, just sweet, mellow fields of hay and again, another blast of that something sweet (the 2nd bullseye dot from the 2nd coin????). Its such a surprise when it comes that I absolutely enjoy it. The bowl is starting to need numerous relights - this is my fault! Remember, I told you at the start that I'm not very good at folding and stuffing flakes into a pipe ... but even now, after about 3-4 relights there is no tongue bite at all. Oh, by the way, the room is spinning, my temples are pounding, I'm fairly loopey - the nicotine has made me slow down even slower than my usual, I'm just barely sipping on the pipe now. The flavor is wonderful.

Dottle: Well, I have nothing but a dark grey ash left. Again as I said at the outset, the moisture level was perfect for this tobacco. My pipe never gurgled once and it's a bent pipe!

Overall perceptions: If you're a Stokkebye fan, you're sure to love this tobacco. The appearance is stunning in a DSK kind of way with the bullseye being a different colored tobacco center dot in the middle of the coin. If you're a VA fan, this should hit a home run as well. When it comes to VAs I'm a lakeland fan smoking predominantly Samuel Gawith tobaccos (BBF / FVF) and find the VAs here are tasty but not as sweet and fulfilling as the lakeland tobac. Those little dots of cavendish - if that is what I tasted - are worth a test drive even if you don't like this kind of tobacco. Its probably just a slight bit stronger than "medium" on the nicotine side ... but enough that it made my head swim. Stronger than Wessex Burley Slices, weaker than Escudo if that helps you. Soooo, do I recommend this tobacco? Heck yes. On a scale of 1-10 I'd rate it a good 6 - would have been a 7.5 if the nicotine level were more managable. Will I buy it again? Maybe. I really like my lakeland tobaccos so maybe not. But, I'm sure glad I had the chance to test drive this tobac.

Total smoking time: 2hr15min - minus 15min needed to recover from nicotine overload.

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (84)

An excellent tobacco and a fanastic value, let me start by saying this is nothing at all like Escudo in tin note, taste or aroma. Should not be approached as a bulk substitute for Escudo as, from this perspective, the Escudo smoker will be disappointed. The coins are far more loosely pressed than Escudo coins and some crumbling will occur in bulk packages during shipping. Does not effect the flavor and, if anything, makes the coin easier to rub out. From the first puff I was impressed with this blend. Very smooth-smoking with the sweetness in the background - there just enough to balance out the blend and, as the description reads "round the taste". That description is apt.

The Perique is very mild in this tobacco, the Virginias smooth and non-biting, and there is a subtle sweetness from the Cavendish core. Not an aromatic, by any stretch. Not a true VaPer. Certainly not a Virginia flake. This is a wonderful combination of the best of all three worlds and I would highly recommend this tobacco, destined to become one of my favorite all-day, everyday smokes. Definitely one to stock up on and cellar.

Similar Blends: Davidoff - Flake Medallions.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (76)

There are several Stokkebye offerings that I enjoy, but none as much as this one. With so many good Va/pers available, I'm a little surprised that I enjoy LBF almost to the exclusion of others. The 1.5 lb box looks like a tray of poker chips. The coins rub out easily and the smoke is sublime...more natural than Luxury Twist Flake, less harsh that Luxury Navy Flake and stronger than the now defunct Luxury Curly Cut. LBF and I have become fast friends........

lisztman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lisztman (15)

I almost didn't try this because of the "center of cavendish" -- which isn't my cup of tea. I like the Virginias, the vapers. Serendipitously I ignored my prejudices and ordered 4oz. of this beauty. It gets points just for presentation -- swirled disks that look like, well, yes, bull's-eyes. The cavendish center is exactly enough to give a flavor tint without it becoming a cavendish -- just a slight modulation to the normal vaper taste. What a beauty. Careful -- its light flavor disguises a healthy nicotine kick if you're not ready for it.

I've already developed a working technique for it -- fold a disk in half and rub it into the bowl. Okay, two of them if it's a big bowl. Lights exceptionally well, doesn't require huffing to keep it puffing, and gives a satisfying, tasty, clean, and dry smoke to the bottom. Well done, Mr. Stokkeybye!

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Puff Daddy nailed it for me. Not much to add except to reiterate that the virginias tasted and smoked "youthful". This tobacco has the makings of a very good blend but it needs some aging. I've cellared a couple of pounds and I'm going to sample a bit in a year, two years, 3 years, until I think it's matured.

I did take out a small batch and added a dash of perique, which improved the taste slightly. I honestly think this just needs some time to simmer.

As it is, it's a decent smoke - not objectionable. Reminds me of a somewhat spicier MacBaren's Virginia Flake. Nothing offputting, just no "zing" if that makes any sense. If you like a nice mild VaPer with no bite, try this one. It's "good enough" but I think it might get better with age.

birdseye Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
birdseye (15)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I have tried countless Virginia flake tobaccos, many of which were excellent, in search of a tobacco that might approach the original, noble Escudo. While Luxury Bullseye seems a tad sweeter, probably because it has a little less Perique than Escudo, it fits the bill and, in fact, were the original Escudo still available, I think I would stick with the Bullseye. It is deliciously smooth yet maintains a satisfying fullness throughout the smoke, and never sours toward the end of the bowlful. The more I smoke it, the better I like it although I trade off with Penzance during the smoking day which makes each blend taste better, given the difference. After first trying Luxury Bullseye, I then tried Peter Stokebbye's Luxury Navy Flake, which I liked a lot, but not as much as the Bullseye. I have found my Virginia flake!

imago Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
imago (63)

This is an excellent tobacco which reminds me of dusky fruits (figs, prunes, raisins, etc.) and of freshly-mown hay. Both flavour and aroma are best described as being warm, fragrant, and substantial without being overwhelming.

It isn't going to replace Escudo Navy Deluxe as my preferred VaPer, but I have nothing but praises for this marvellous addition to the already outstanding selection of tobaccos from Peter Stokkebye.

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (54)

I have been looking forward to this blend since I began my pipe dream two years ago, based primarily on your reviews.

So the baggie note is fresh, hayish, and sweet, as in black Cav sweet. Its appearance is more....natural if you will then say Escudo. Rough spun edges, less density in construction. Kind of akin to comparing a machine made Petit Corona to a Backwoods Twist.

These descriptives aren't meant to deter from this review, as the flavor profile correlates to these 'raw' descriptives. What it may lack in refinement LBF more than makes up for in bright, fresh flavor.

The Vas gave absolutely no bite at all, albeit at the expense of the vitamin nicotine.

The perique, which is to me unusually spicy even for a perique, benefits from the smooth interaction of the black cavendish. I tried these coins shredded, but that density of sweet smoothness was lost to me when not stuffed whole.

Cobs and billiards did best for me, nice slow burn. Now take into account the value of LBF, and it makes it that much more desirable.

So for me this is a 4 star blend: I will begin cellaring jars of this, not being concerned that it would overtake Escudo's role, rather it will provide me with a different taste in VaPer coins.

Highly Recommended..to everyone, including aro lovers, as an all day smoke. Wish I would have tried this sooner.

Pipe Used: Billiard, Cobs

Similar Blends: Davidoff Flake Medallions, Escudo.....

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (63)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Purchased in bulk form, this blend smokes like a proper VAPER. It is presented in coin-shaped flakes approximately the size of a silver dollar or an old English penny and its appearance closely resembles that of Comoy Cask #7. But appearances aside, Bullseye Flake displays smoking qualities that bear only a passing resemblance to #7. The Virginias and the Perique are the dominant players with the Black Cavendish used sparingly to mitigate the body of the smoke. In other words, the tobaccos are blended in about the proper proportions.

I admit to holding a somewhat jaded opinion of blends that incorporate Black Cavendish because I almost automatically assume that the Black Cavendish is introduced to hold down the production costs and render the blend more profitable. Often Black Cavendish has a negative impact on the tobacco flavor and the quality of the blend. In the case of Bullseye Flake the impact of the Black Cavendish is actually positive—it makes for a better blend.

I believe that there is more than adequate real VAPER flavor here to satisfy the average strength crowd and it might prove to be a good introduction to VAPERs for the newcomers. At 2/3’s the cost of the premium blends it represents a pretty decent value.

3-stars.

Similar Blends: There is a passing resemblance with Comoy Cask #7.

balkan_boy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
balkan_boy (31)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I'll give this tobacco 2 stars, although it's well crafted, and is of good quality. I like VAs a lot, I like Perique also. What I don't like in this blend, it's black Cavendish. Black Cavendish puts some darkness in the smoke, that reminds of the danish style aromatic junk. Especially the artificial flavor in them. Spiciness of the Perique is mitigated and darkened by the Black Cavendish. It's balanced, with the Cavendish, but in a way ruined. Vapers are to be wild and unbalanced, and that's the beauty of them. This one didn't achieve my expectations. About packing and burning quality, it's awesome. Burns perfectly and doesn't require any effort. I've had over a friend who never smoked a pipe in his life, and tried some of this, his first bowl of tobacco ever. He tried a full bowl of this, no relights, no heat at all, he liked it a lot. It was a revelation for him. We drank scotch, and Periquish spicy note really supplemented the drink. I smoke it now with black coffee, (smoked it with tea also) and it fails to astonish, moreover you don't get rid of the artificial cheapness that is present all the way. This is an excellent smoke for beginners, but not my cup of tea. If you are a beginner, this is top recommended. If you are experienced smoker, don't go for it, you'll stay disappointed.

This is a great blend for a great price to boot. The presentation is wonderful and proves to be a nice conversation piece whenever anyone sees you playing with the discs to prepare to smoke. As for how I smoke it. I simply rub it out and enjoy.

I actually prefer this to Escudo, but I like my tobaccos a little sweet. This is by no means an aromatic, but it is smoother to my tastes than most VaPers.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)

I love this stuff, in fact I love most of the Stokkebye VA offerings.

This is the type of stuff that real experienced pipe smokers enjoy. There are no fancy packages here, just great quality at a great price. These little round beauties offer the same quality as their counterparts that come in nice tins, for a greatly reduced price.

I am a Virginia lover at heart and so I really like this blend. It kind of reminds me of Orlik Golden sliced with the high citrus notes toned down a little. There is a nice balance of perique here too, just enough to give a good flavor and a little tingle in the nose. I am not really sure if the black Cavendish adds much to this blend in terms of flavor, but it sure does make those little round coins look very handsome.

One of the real advantages of these Stokkebye blends is their superior agebility. This blend is nice fresh, but it is outstanding with a couple years on it, and the bulk pricing allows you to stock up and wait for the magic to happen. Get some, it is good.

Highly recommended.

Puff Daddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puff Daddy (43)

May I revisit this review? I just cracked open some LBE that has two years of age on it now. Using a large Ruthenberg billiard, I carefully pressed one coin of LBE down near the bottom, which also curled up around the bottom sides. I tore another coin into several pieces, carefully, and fitted them around, then finally filled the bowl with shreds for combustion. It took a while to light well, but then I settled in for what can only be called a long, cool smoke with no bite whatsoever. Many of my preferred VA's and VaPers have a citrusy note, but this remains decidedly grassy. It isn't off-putting at all, just different. The years in a Mason jar have smoothed the blend and allowed some nice marrying, softening, and maturing. If you take the time to read my original review below, this still isn't Escudo, but it is a lovely, mild, somewhat complex blend, and could easily be an all-day blend for some. Stokkebye's quality leaves are well known, and this is no exception. In bulk, it's reasonable and good quality. I give it 3.25 stars. -----------------------------------------------------------------

The best thing that I can say about Bulls-Eye is that a pound of it is a bargain. It's isn't a bad VaPer at all; it's just not exactly stellar. I feel that the tobaccos are in their infancy in this blend, and having smoked some that has aged for a year or so, there is definitely some improvement with maturation. It can easily be considered an all-day blend; no bite to speak of, easy to pack as coins (in larger bowls) or can be easily rubbed out if desired. Burns well, not overly-hot. This has more Perique than their Luxury Navy flake, and the Black Cav just whispers in and out at times. Very tasty, and very reasonable. Adding a little bit of more matured VA's really picks this blend up, and for Perique lovers, a bit of blending Perique added would definitely raise the flavor profile for you. For every pound of this that I buy, I'll purchase at least ten tins of Escudo to cellar. This is certainly no Escudo or Solani 633, but it's good for every day. Not bad, and the price is definitely a bargain.

jimbcac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jimbcac (3)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I bought this because it looks cool. After the first bowl I was a believer. Smooth flavor. I smoke my pipe while walking our dog in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains..This tobacco is wonderful for walking and reflecting. Has become a favorite. Usually I stick to mild Virginias but this blend smokes great. Not being much of a purist I usually just break one in half and push it into the bowl..well maybe two and push them into the bowl. As has been mentioned, this smokes cool and mellow right down to the bottom of the bowl. No hot aftertaste, and I do not rush right to the sink when I get home to wash the bitterness out of my mouth....An excellent value as even a 4 oz package will last me for a month or so..

"Try it you'l like it..".

Jim in Gold Bar.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)

This stuff is nice. Fair price and high quality. The taste is natural tobacco taste, nice and sweet without being overwheelming. The ratio of each leaf is perfect, you can taste the grassy virginia without being overwheelmed by it, while the perique adds a touch of natural sweetness that reminds me of an aromatic (although it is very clear that this isn't an aromatic). The cavendish is there but barely, it does't make the smoke overly sweet; it only rounds it up.

I highly recomend this blend. If you are new to pipe smoking and are still stuck smoking very sweet aromatic blends then don't try this just yet because you might find it boring. If you are ready to move to more natural tobacco taste then go right ahead, it won't let you down.

These nicely formed discs have the darker cavendish rolled into the center and are easy to fold and pack without rubout. The moisture content is ideal and results in an effortless smoke. I didn't taste much influence from the Perique but a smooth, sweet and cool smoke was enjoyed in multiple bowl sizes and pipe styles. I've been a big Stokkebye fan for years and usually have Luxury Twist Flake on hand. Their consistency and overall quality of tobaccos from lot to lot is outstanding. With this great new addition, Stokkebye has another winner.

H Gillman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
H Gillman (32)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is a very nice blend. I got 16oz of it based on the brethren reviews here. I am glad I did. It came in a large zip lock so the "bag" note is nice. Subtle sweetness and spicy side notes from the perique. The medallions are nice to look at and make portioning a snap. I fold two and lightly stuff into the bowl. Char .....light...tamp...and go.

I found the initial draws to be filled with the blended leaf. I tasted the perique and hints of the cavendish. That wisp of sweetness from the cavendish really goes well with the perique and virginia. From top to bottom bowl, this was a delight to smoke. Roll it around your tongue and exhale through your nose and you will get the depth of the flavour. French inhaling is a joy since this is so mellow and mild.

note I tried several bowls by hand rubbing two medallions then smoking. They smoke beautifully however the flavours blend too much and meld. To truly enjoy each flavour layer try folding and lightly stuffing.

I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys a good smoke with no bite. I'm glad I bought a pound.

Pipe Used: Several Pete's

Age When Smoked: New - Bulk

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (126)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

A very natural smelling tobacco that is pleasing to the eye. Not a lot of strength and a mild flavor during the smoke, a light Va/Per with a Black Cavendish center. It reminds me of Davidoff Flake Medallions like a twin brother but way cheaper.

After trying four Va/Per coins, my favorite remains Escudo.

King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (40)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Its clear in my review of this blend's reviews that the majority of reviewers have not smoked the blend that is most directly in competion with Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake - Davidoff Flake Medallions. If they had, they would not compare LBF to Escudo nor to Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls, as neither has a black cavendish content. I have had the pleasure of smoking all four and, by far, prefer the Davidoff blend to the rest. Don't get me wrong, they are all good. However, my experience is that the Stokkebye blend smokes the roughest of the four.

At the time I acquired a two ounce bag of LBF I also had open a fifty gram tin of FM, making for a natural comparison. Here is how they stack up. There are three things I found different about the two blends. Number one is the very big difference in presentation: FM comes in fifty gram tins and LBF comes only in bulk. When you open a tin of FM you are greeted by a number of uniform spun cut disks beautifully arranged in a spiral. The presentation of LBF in my two ounce bag was very different; a disheveled and raggity conglomeration of whole disks, partial disks, arcs of the virginia/perique outer disk portions and dismembered cavendish cores. Number two difference: I retrieved the whole disks of LBF and laid them out next to the same number of FM disks and compared them. I think the overall size of the disks is the same - it was hard to tell on the LBF disks as they had very ragged edges and appeared bigger than the FM disks. I also noticed a difference in the cavendish cores. On the average, the cores seemed somewhat smaller in the LBF disks and they were different in color and texture. The FM cores were uniformly and solidly black; the LBF cores were varigated in black and various shades of brown with some kind of inclusions in them. Difference number three: although both are cavendish-containing vapers, they smoke somewhat differently. The FM blend smoked smooth and uniformly down the bowl. LBF, on the other hand, was more spicey and tongue-testing. Now, they both have perique in them, so some spiceyness is to be expected and, indeed, was present in both of them. However, I found LBF to be consistently tongue-tingling and, if smoked too hard and fast, would yield tongue bite. I was forced to adjust my smoking rate and style to make up for this characteristic in LBF - something that didn't happen with FM.

So, although I prefer Flake Medallions to Luxurey Bullseye Flake, I still can recommend LBF as a substitute if, and this is a big if, you understand that there is a more refined version of the same type blend out there. The only drawback is that FM costs more, but I think it is worth it.

Pipe Used: Ashton Pebble Grain Dublin

Similar Blends: Davidoff Flake Medallions.

Tplumm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tplumm (21)

I'll try not to be to way over the top with this. This is a meat and potatoes type blend for me. Pretty basic, but it's just complex enough to be interesting. The sweet hay taste of VAs is prevalent and then the little bit of Cavendish adds a little more sweetness for a slightly sweet rather basic, straightforward smoke. Highly affordable. Highly enjoyable.

Pipe Used: Small chambered briar billiards

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Similar Blends: Escudo.

Darby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darby (15)

Peter Stokkebye - Luxury Bullseye Flake

As with many who are used to more fulsome offerings like dark fired Kentucky and matured Virginias, it’s easy to see how a silky, peppery and delicately sweet VaPr like this one can seem a bit hollow and monochromatic at first brush ... but with a little patience, and slow sipping, the graceful qualities and inner beauty emerges.

As with a wonderfully prepared meal, a good tobacco blend that perfectly fits your tastes is one that soothes and resonates with pleasant memories. For me, smoking this VaPr reminded me of my home brewing days, and the smell of malted barley ... lightly kilned pilsner and biscuit malts in particular. For those who’ve never had the pleasure of sticking their head into a large pail of freshly cracked brewing malt, the closest I can get you with words is a combination of fresh bales of sun-dried hay, buttermilk biscuits and sweet light malt extract (similar flavor to the interior of a malted milk ball). A good quality VaPr, smoked slowly, can evoke some of those nuances. The perique is a perfect pairing for the Virginias, and gives their delicate grassy sweetness a long and gently malty/peppery/milky finish that lingers, and leaves you wanting more. To me, it’s like mothers milk.

Another thing I found remarkable about this particular VaPr is its outstanding value - as of this writing, PipesandCigars.com is offering the PS-LBF (normally sold in 1.5 lb. bulk) in 1 oz. increments for a mere $2.50, which is an excellent value. Another standout is its easy rubbing qualities, and blendability. The small eye of dark Cavendish in this blend is barely detectable, so anytime I want to add a little nuance of something else, I just rub out a coin or two, add a pinch of something a little stronger, let it stand for a few minutes, and it’s good to go.

Highly recommended (3.5 of 4 stars, rounded up to 4 due to its compactness, easy preparation, blendability, and excellent value).

Pipe Used: Grabow Freehand (Group 4) & Royalton (Group 3)

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

Similar Blends: Escudo.

bigterr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigterr (9)

I am very satified with this PS offering, especially considering the price. The coins are exceedingly attractive although the bulk packaging does seem to cause them to be a bit roughed up around the edges. Prep: These coins are very much like a flake so I initially tried the fold and stuff approach, next bowl I rubbed out 1 coin completely and used the other folded as the bottom of the bowl portion. The third bowl I rubbed out the little centers of Cavendish into a pile of crumbs which I strategically sprinkled in between layers consisting of 1/2 of each of the VaPer portion of the coins lightly rubbed out. The smoke: Fold and stuff required frequent relights yet the weed was never harsh - drawback was the sweetness of the cavendish was suddenly almost overwhelming while lasting only briefly. I do not reccommend the Fold N Stuff for this reason and also because the majority of the bowl seemed as a straight VaPer. In addition the perique must be very judicisouly applied as it never stung once. The 1/2 rubbed out 1/2 fold and stuff bowl was better tasting for the first 1/2 and much like the 1st bowl for the last 1/2. The rub out completely and strategic sprinkling of the cavendish was the most enjoyable smoke as the sweetness of the cavendish never was intense, never predictable in its appearance and seemed to go very well with the bursts of perique. This will certainly be my preferred preparation for this fine blend. In all methods of preparation the tobacco burned to a dark grey ash, no dottle present at the bottom of the bowl, no gurgling throughout the bowl. I have purposely refrained from making any direct comparisons to those blends I have stated as similar. The list is presented only so that if you know you like one of those you should give this a try as you will probably like it as well. With the money you will save smoking this after you consume 6oz (and especially if you buy a 1/2 or full pound) you can go ahead and essentially get one of the other blends I've listed as a free treat (only of course if you decide you still prefer one of them over PSLBF). THIS ONE IS FOR SURE GOING INTO MY REGULAR ROTATION AND COULD REPLACE MAC'S V#1 AS MY GOTO DAILY PUFF.

Pipe Used: Brigham 2Dot WO Larson 1/4 bent MM cob

Age When Smoked: 2year 3 months

Purchased From: Tobbaco Barn 2oz 9.25

Similar Blends: Solani 633, Dunbar, Royal Jersey, Irish Oak, Escudo.

matthieuduquette Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
matthieuduquette (12)
Mild None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

In the pouch. Luxury Bullseye Flake smells like fresh cut hay that is still green. There is also a slight note reminiscent of bell pepper. At least that is how it translates to my senses. The rounds are a beautiful presentation and the moisture content couldn't be more perfect.

In the pipe. Luxury Bullseye is very light but extremely pleasant. It is so far the only "all day smoke" that I would keep around in the regular rotation. As I tend toward bolder latakia mixtures and aromatics. This blend also has a very special quality to it. At least to my palate. Whereas it is the only tobacco I have had that actually makes my mouth salivate while smoking it. My palate seems to have some subconscious affinity towards this blend which I don't mind one bit. It may be because I occasionally get the impression of an almost salty note while smoking it. Which is another aspect I have not yet found in any other pipe tobacco.

The room not of LBF is also very pleasant. Lightly sweet and I get the salty note as well. Smells like hay but this time after it has yellowed.

With Luxury Bullseye Flake, Peter Stokkebye didn't only hit the target dead center. The second arrow split the first in two. This is absolutely one of the best overall valued pipe tobaccos out there. Smokes better than many premium blends. Yet can be purchased for a fraction of the price. Well done!

Indian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Indian (13)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Are you kidding me? This tobacco is the value of the century! It has the citrus hay characteristics of Virginia, spice of perique, and is creamy smooth! Ok it's not GLPease or C&D but it is up there and for the price it can't be beat! I smoke this on a regular basis and go to my Fillmore and key largo for a change of pace and a treat. If it was priced like the rest I would only give it 3 stars but because of the value I highly recommend this-4 stars.

Hemlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hemlock (57)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Make no mistake, this is a natural blend. The cavendish is non-existent in the taste. This is a VA blend with a dash of perique. The presentation is excellent with its round, mottled medallions and it is worth keeping in the cellar for this alone. It tastes like semi-sweet VA with perique building only when you hit the zone. Smoke this is your VA pipe, not your multi-use or aromatic pipe, and you will be rewarded with a full tobacco taste and no more than a usual virginia nippiness.

You can use a single medallion for a small bowl and it smokes fine. A couple or more medallions in a larger bowl is just as well, and will build wonderfully. It has its share of nicotine, so it satisfies. This is an everyday, all day sort of blend that burns to a grey-white ash with little more than a single light.

Given the lovely presentation and it's level of satisfaction, this is my VaPer for now. All the tins in my cellar remain sealed as I enjoy this superb bulk. I am leaving several ounces to cellar in masons-- I am sure it will properly ripen further.

The recommendation is only for advanced smokers with a penchant for true tobacco flavour and body. Get some and enjoy it. I sure do.

Update 02-08-08

After aging for some time, here's my update. For those that like Escudo or Three Nuns or Capstan, this is comparable after some settling in a jar for a while. Defitinitely an all day VaPer blend with lovely prensentation. Rub the rounds and stuff into the bowl with air-pocket technique for the reward. Yes, it is not a deep VA blend, but most pleasant for those who like brighter, tangy VA flavours-- not hot, but certainly spicy & citrusy. Confirming my 4 star rating.

Phonomet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phonomet (41)

I was immediately attracted to the flavor of this one: grassy, sweet with a satisfying medium strength. It isn't a tobacco that sends me into ecstasies or anything, but it's one of those blends that I found myself going to consistently till the jar's empty. A trusty smoke. I have about half a pound aging and I'm looking forward to editing this in a year or so when time does it's magic.

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

My first Impression was very positive, however, I now find this a "Dark & Bitter" blend. The cut burns fast and can turn even bitterer if pushed. Take some extra time to properly rub out the "Bull's-eye" and disperse into the rest of the tobacco before packing. I find this blend to be very mild and lacking in big flavor and I find myself pushing the bowl to get more flavor. Fast puffing will result in a hot ashy smoke.

I have to agree with reviewers, "DrT999 05/19/2013", & "DK 02/19/2009"

This was a great smoke. I bought some to try and liked it right away. It has the sweet Virginia with some help from the cavendish. The perique is a spicy thing going on. It is a very pleasant combination of tastes. I rolled and stuffed most of the time. I rubbed it out sometimes too, and I did not notice much difference in the smoking experience. I have smoked about a pound of this so far.

This is a friendly flake for new folks to smoke - sweet, tasty, and not picky about drying or processing the flake. I met another guy smoking it one time who said he went to a tobacconist with a pipe his grandfather gave him, and they sold him LBF. He had never seen the need to look for anything else.

I have had this aged, and found it more mellow and a slightly different smoke. I don't know that it was better aged - just more mellow. I don't smoke this everyday, but I suspect I will always have some around. The price per ounce is very good considering the quality. In terms of rating, I am torn between a 3 and a 4. Everyone should try this at some point, but I don't think it rises to a 4 for me.

Thbg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thbg (25)

I have been smoking Escudo fairly regularly for the last number of months and wanted to try this. 4 ounces of this cost the same as a tin of Escudo which was appealing to me given my intake.

This is a quality smoke, not as quality as some, but a fine, fine smoke.

Where the flavors of Escudo are more defined the flavors of LBF are creamier and sweeter. The room note is also not as tough.

I would reccomend this as an everyday smoke. I plan on smoking it everyday. Cheers. Thbg

carolina kid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
carolina kid (17)

If you know your Virginias and VaPers, here's the deal:

Sweet, fruity, ripe and mellow, but with complex undercurrents of cedar and spice. Well behaved, not too fussy. The black cavendish center adds a sweet, smooth bass note that adds a little surprise now and again as you make your way down the bowl.

Overall, this is very high quality tobacco and visually the "bullseye flakes" are cool as all get-out. Highly recommended. If you're comparing this tobacco with Davidoff Flake Medallions, this one is fruitier and a little sweeter (in a Virginia sort of way), and definitely a better deal.

DavidP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DavidP (24)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Stewed apples, bread crust with Perique spicing all around. I have better luck with these guys if I rub them out instead of folding and stuffing them. Inexpensive and well worth trying an ounce or two!

Barling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Barling (19)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I really like this tobacco. The bullseye of Cavendish gives the blend just enough sweetness to complement the Virginia and Perique. It reminds me of a bowl of shell cut oats with some brown sugar mixed into it. For the money, this really cannot be beat. I have smoked rolled flakes like this that cost twice as much that I cannot honestly say tasted any better. It is currently out of stock at my favorite online tobacconist, but when it comes back I am going to order a full 24oz. box of it and cellar it, because I cannot find a reason not to.

Avens Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Avens (1)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I just picked up pipe smoking about 3 months ago. This was my first after reading the review here and I I've loved every bowel of it.

Some times it bites me a little but nothing so bad as to ruin the experience. Burns smooth, even as a total novice I dont have to relight this very much.

I've smoke this out of a short sort of pocket pipe and a long clay tavern pipe. Out of the two I like this in the tavern pipe. It seems to get a little gurgle in the short pipe.

I dont know if its just because of the clay pipe but this smokes cool and very sweet. Compliments a good thick ale or a sip of whiskey perfectly. Great any time of day, loved it in the morning with coffee. Not at all big nic hit.

After trying out filling my pipes several ways I found this works best for me when rubbed out a little. Just to the point where its like ribbon taking extra care to break up that cavendish (which will want to stay in one piece) then loading the pipe by hold the tobacco in the palm of your hand then rolling the bowel in a circle over it then tamping it gently. This keeps it from packing to tight and opens the taste of it up a lot compared to the 3 step method. I used about 2 and a half flakes in my tavern pipe.

* Final Verdict: I will smoke this for the rest of my life.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)

A cheaper alternative, but not replacement, to Escudo. I like to carefully pull the cavendish center out and rub the rest out. I will add a bit to the heel of the pipe, and add a whole "cavendisk". Add some more rub, and another "cavendisk" I add the leftover on top and light. I enjoy the sudden sweetness when the cavendisk begins to burn. try this method, you may enjoy it.

Solid 4 stars!

jazzyguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzyguy (15)

I have been smoking Escudo and Davidoff's Flake Medallions for years. I thought I would try this blend and although it is not like the above mentioned two it is a great smoke and I will order it again. I purchased a 16oz. supply and so far it burns well and it does bite if smoked too quickly.however,it is a very enjoyable smoke. It is not at all like the Davidoff's or Escudo but it has its own character.

Kerdy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerdy (43)

Tin Note: Nice tobacco smell. Clean.

Packing: Coin broke easily. One coin was not enough for my Peterson System 303 and two coins was just a bit too much. Was forced to pack it a little tight.

First Impression: Once I got it charred enough to tamp into the bowl it happily took to the flame. Nice light flavor. Not sure what it is but there an interesting taste here I am not familiar with.

EDIT: I recognize the flavor now. Its a PS thing. I remember it from another blend I tried long ago.

Halfway Through Bowl: Nothing has changed. Still going strong. Wondering when the bite will kick in. Had a couple of relights, but I'm sure its due to the packing.

End of Bowl: Remained consistant throughout the entire bowl. Could be boring if you smoked it a lot, but a good quality smoke in its own right. No goopy dottle at the end in a pipe that is notorious for such a thing.

Room Note: Smells like a good tobacco. Actually put this in a stinky pipe and it almost seems to sanitize the stench.

Likes: Quality tobac. Good taste. Took the foul smell from a horrid pipe. I smoked very slowly and barely had any bite. Happy about that.

Dislikes: Not an English

Additional Edit:

As of now, this is become my regular non-English smoke! When I stray from English (which seems to happen more often than it once did) this is usually the first tobacco I reach for. A good solid smoke!

haredawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
haredawg (46)

I bought a box, the 24 ounce box, of this stuff right before the SCHIP kicked and certain retailers were trying not to be sitting on inventory. There are a few reasons I bought that much untasted other than price. One is I like the way Peter Stokkebyes treats tobacco, I?m always willing to try a blend from a name I don?t know or haven?t liked past offerings from, but I prefer sticking Brands I know and have respect for. The other is I like that cut of tobacco. My experiences with the cut have been Escudo, of course, and Davidoff Flake Medallions.

Comparing Escudo to LBF seems inevitable, I?m going to say it?s like comparing apples to apples, Granny Smiths to McIntosh, like em both, one?s sweeter, the other tarter. The closer comparison would be Flake Medallions as they both have that Cavendish in the center. Flake medallions taste a bit more refined, I don?t know how to translate flavor into money, but, at least where I shop, the Davidoff is considerably more expensive. For comparison purposes, I can?t imagine anyone enjoying any one of these and not the others. It?s not like the Cavendish is cased, though I can understand someone preferring Escudo for a lack of sweetness.

The presentation in the box of LBF is beautiful, rows of coins lined up like in a large change maker. The coins themselves darker flake spun with some lighter flake and rolled around a black center. Mine came almost at a perfect moisture level, ready to smoke with only a little bit of drying out. I have no idea if this is a fluke or not. It?s stupid to mention this, but you have to like a VA/PER to like this, if you?ve tried other VA/PER?s, good ones, honest ones, and didn?t like them, this fancy coin is not going to change your mind. There?s nothing more complex than good Virginian a nice pinch of perique and a dash of unsweetened Cavendish. I?ve said that twice, unsweetened Cavendish, I?m going by my taste buds, if someone wants to challenge this I?ll defer.

There?s no reason not to recommend this as highly as Flake Medallions or Escudo, it?s a fine, well behaved, good tasting, good looking flake, solid smoke with occasional bursts of a little sweetness and a little pepper. Burns to a fine white ash with no dottle. I?ve had this for a few days, cellared about half, and have smoked it in a very large Castello sea rock, a group three (or single x) Ashton Canadian, a knock about meerschaum, a midsized radices egg, very consistent in all shapes and sizes.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (76)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Addendum: They Stokkebye website recommends rubbing out this flake and packing it lightly in the pipe. I have tried a variety of pipes and packing methods, and I have to agree that their recommendation provides the best result. As some have alluded to; this tobacco really hits it's stride about 1/3 down the bowl.

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)

oooops, isn't this Luxury bulleye flake?? are there two? thought I had seen this reviewed before. . . oh well, blame it on jet-lag

ok I'll give a premature review of this, just because I want to be first. I've only smoked about two ounces of this, bought in bulk from Tinderbox during my recent (got back today) trip to the States. I find this to be a good middle strength blend. At first light it reminds me of Esoterica Dorchester, which I like quite a bit. The Perique is present, but not dominant. Um, i'll update this as I smoke more.. so far it's like Dark twist meets Dorchester. . . . good stuff, good moisture level, lights easily rubbed out or whole, good nic content. try it

Old Nate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Nate (11)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

This is a nice straight forward sweet smoke. It delivers from the go and is a no fuss all day smoke. Any time of day this weed hits the spot for me. It has a nice aroma that doesnt linger or stay w you in a bad way. The cavendish lends a beautiful delicacy to the blend and though it is cut into coins like Escudo it is very different and holds its own quite nicely.

This is a light to medium bodied smoke imho and delivers consistent savory sweet smokes with just the faintest hint of a grassy earthiness. I would maybe recommend this to someone trying to make the leap from aromatics to natural virginia tobacco flavor. Very good and affordable.

Pipe Used: cobs

Purchased From: Local shop

ddmholst Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ddmholst (17)
Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I haven't had very good luck with Stokkebye offerings. I have tried this blend with differing amounts of age on it and it still just doesn't do it for me.

It smokes very bland from beginning to end. I don't get any tounge bite so it's got that going for it. Overall it just seems young but most of all it's devoid of any flavor. I believe if I smoked one of my wife's cigarette butts it would probably taste better.

I know I'm in the minority here but I would not reccomend it nor would I consider buying it again.

Pipe Used: Neerup

Age When Smoked: New and 2 years

Stutter818 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stutter818 (45)
Extremely Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Really enjoyed smoking this once I figured out how to load my pipe and get it going. It was my first flake/coin type tobacco. At first I only kind of crumbled 1 coin into my pipe, but then I would keep sucking in bits and pieces of the tobacco. So I grabbed a second coin, and broke it up more and packed it on top of the first one, and it was perfect. Lovely mild hay tastes, sweet, and mild perique. I got to taste the sweet black cavindish as well, which I personally do enjoy. The bowl lasted for nearly 2 hours for me. At first I was happily puffing away, no bite, very cool smoke. Then I started to feel really really woozy, and sick. Realized that it has a very strong nicotine kick. I was a non-smoker before pipes, and mostly smokes aromatics. So my tolerance is just weak. BUT - I do recommend this tobacco. Other than feeling dizzy and drunk at the end, it was such a good smoke. It's a very rich tobacco. And as many have said, it's a great value and quality tobacco even in bulk!

-- UPDATE -- knowing my limits, I used a smaller dr Grabow and only 1 coin with a smidge left over, smoked for about an hour, and I don't feel the woozyness from last time. Perfect this time around.

Pipe Used: Dunhill estate billiard

Purchased From: Smoking pipes online

PC Plod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PC Plod (39)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

We pipe smokers are well served. Among the finer things of life: to saturate one's palate and nose with the exquisite flavours and aromas of Luxury Bullseye Flake. A sublime experience available to us all, given the fair price of this masterful offering.

Darby's evocations of "fresh bales of sun-dried hay, buttermilk biscuits and sweet light malt extract" do indeed hit the proverbial b. At least a dozen other nuances emerge during a slowly sipped bowl, my favourite being that of a delicate, caramelised cream sauce containing ground pepper and other more indefinable spices found in Flemish roast pork dishes.

But flavours can be somewhat subjective. Whereas technique is more sharable and perhaps of greater utility. So I'll say a few words about how I best enjoy Luxury Bullseye, bearing in mind other reviewers' excellent advice to experiment with different preparation and loading methods.

LBF is the one and only exception I make to simple fold-and-stuff when it comes to compressed tobacco. Initially I used FAS even for Bullseye, but found an unevenness in the resulting smoke: it was heavenly when the dark cavendish core kicked in, but less so once it burned out. So I break up the discs very slightly, just enough to distribute the core evenly throughout.

This works brilliantly. I've learned that the cavendish insert is key to this tobacco's divine fragrance and creamy mouth feel. And it perfectly balances the astringent and peppery qualities of the Virginia and perique. Without the cavendish, LBF would resemble a somewhat milder version of Escudo. Which is not bad at all. But with the cavendish, LBF enters a different realm.

For me a loose pack is absolutely essential. The compressed strands require room to expand. And the more plentiful supply of air allows the tobacco to smoulder slowly with no effort, releasing its optimal flavour and aroma. Rapid or deep puffing I avoid at all costs, especially when lighting. As tempting as it might be to chase after the flavour with deeper puffing, it's a mistake to do so. Be patient. The charms will emerge on their own in due course.

Is LBF identical to Davidoff Flake Medallions? I believe so, but the difference in packaging might lead to marginally different smoking characteristics. The Medallions I find to be a tad crisper and brighter, whereas the LBF is ever so slightly creamier and smoother. I adore them both, but would be hard pressed to tell them apart in a blind tasting.

Luxury Bullseye Flake has earned top marks in my books. A connoisseur's tobacco, in the very best sense of that term.

Pipe Used: Dunhill Prince (4407)

Age When Smoked: 2 years old

Purchased From: online vendor

Similar Blends: Davidoff - Flake Medallions.

SpeedyPete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SpeedyPete (16)
Very Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Received my first 4oz today, immediately ordered another 16oz! Need I say more? This is the VaPer I've been looking for. Sweet, sweet virginia with just the right amount of perique to balance the virginias. I'm in smoker's heaven!

Pipe Used: Brebbia Golden Extra

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: 4noggins

Similar Blends: Reminds me of Orlik Golden Sliced but with more flavour.

Kyohan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kyohan (8)

I put some of this on my last order from SmokingPipes.com based on the fact that the description sounded like the kind of thing I gravitate toward. I mean, how can you go wrong with a Virginia, Perique blend, right? I was not disappointed. I have smoked several bowls of this over the past week in several different pipes (I like it best in a small, full bent pipe, but that may just be me) and have enjoyed each and every one.This will be a staple in my rotation from here on out - I just wish I had ordered more.

Pipe Used: Peterson (05)

Age When Smoked: New Purchase

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

stinky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stinky (3)

I'm not one for long drawn out reviews, but do enjoy reading them. All I can say is just try it! If you don't like it, please send it to me...

Pipe Used: briar

Age When Smoked: as soon as I got home

Purchased From: The Wharf

BigCasino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigCasino (27)

Very nice aroma, I like to rub this one out, haven't tried the fold and stuff method, There is a nice Virginia flavor and just the right amount of Perique to give it the spicey taste to make a nice Va/Per blend

Pipe Used: Butz-Choiquin D'accord apple

Age When Smoked: unknown

Purchased From: gift

Flying Tea Pot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flying Tea Pot (3)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

An excellent Virginia/Perique in the style of Escudo. Not quite as spicy as Escudo but a great quality bulk blend that doesn't bite (if you dry your tobacco !) and is, I think, rather full-bodied. Great with Strong tea!

Mike Munday Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Munday (3)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I FIRST TRIED THIS AT MY LOCAL SMOKE SHOP AND THEN ORDERED 24 OUNCES OVER THE INTERNET - THIS IS NOW ONE OF MY FAVORITES - IT HAS JUST THE CORRECT AMOUNT OF PERIQUE - AND THE COMBINATION OF THE VIRGINIA AND B CAVENDISH DOES PROVIDE A SMOOTH SMOKE AND VERY NICE OVERALL TASTE. MY WIFE LIKES THE ROOM NOTE - I HAVE A COUPLE OF CLOSE FRIENDS - A NEWS CHOPPER PILOT AND A TRUCK DRIVER WHO WILL GIVE IT A SHOT - CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR THEIR REACTION. IF YOU HAVE NOT EXPERIENCED BULLSEYE - YOU SHOULD TRY A PIPE OR THREE - I FIRMLY BELIEVE YOU WILL ADD IT TO YOUR LIST OF KILLER FAVORITES! GOD BLESS AMERICA AND ALL OUR AMERICAN MILITARY - LONG LIVE OUR FREEDOM TO SMOKE!

Down to the Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Down to the Dottle (3)

Alternates between sweet and spicy. Burns cool, no bite at all. Lights easy with few relights.

An everyday smoke and easy on the wallet.

Really, there is not much else to add from the other reviews. Just load up a mason jar with this stuff and enjoy!

BTGreenwald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BTGreenwald (6)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Can't gonwrong with this one... And this coming from a fellow countryman on a budget. I got this one bulk so I don't know how it does out of the tin but was it ever ready right out of the zip-lock baggy. Make a half moon out of one of them coins, plugged one of my legendary "legend" corn cobs and relaxation punctuated with cool smoke, gentle sweetness and relaxation followed. Me and the bulls eye will share many a tender moment together. This is a 3 star blend for me but only because I've yet to experience more flakes before I can review with that kind of objectivity.

Kleidophoros Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kleidophoros (12)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I usually smoke latakia blends; I guess coming from cigarette smoking I just like the ON YOUR FACE effect and full flavour/taste. I was hesitant to try Luxury Bullseye Flake because 1. I am not a fan of perique 2. Not a fan of flakes 3. Not used to the fabled refined/delicate/subtle flavour/taste of Virginias.

Love the coins, played with them for a good 10 minutes before loading a pipe. Smells great too.

2 coins, folded, loose pieces on top, lights easy, needs a few relights. Upon lighting LBF I get hit with hay. And a moment later musty, peppery perique. During the smoke the two of them just takes turns one after another. Occasionally I get a faint sweetness which either comes from the Virginia or the cavendish. All in all a pleasant smoke I guess; good nicotine, good tobacco taste; bites a bit though. Either me smoking fast or some tobacco in it not liking me; time will tell I guess.

I hear this needs a bit of time to shine so I got about 30gr out of a 1.5 lbs box and tossed the rest into the cellar; will revisit at a later time.

And yes, it's cheap just like every other PS offering.

spidermonkey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
spidermonkey (7)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I love the presentation, smell, and even taste of the tobacco. One extremely large issue... It bites my tongue like a rabid wolverine. Has a wonderful soft sweetness to it that I love on both the pre-light draw, and throughout the smoke. Something about it lights my tongue on fire - and not in a good way. Maybe it is the perique? I have smoked other blends with a "dash" or a "touch" with only a delightful spicy sensation at most. I tried to soften it with some latakia - but to no avail. Maybe it's too wet? I have tried drying for various lengths of time. Maybe it's too young? I won't dump it just yet and will come back to it to see what happens after a while. For now... It is not something that I'll reach for anytime soon.

Mike0831 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike0831 (10)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This is a great tobak. My batch got a little too dried out but it doesn't make a difference seeing as it get moist in the bowl when it needs to. It has a slight nip to it but as with any other tobak I smoke, I take it real s...l...o...w. that's why I smoke a pipe (to slow down). This tobak has a lot of depth. I'm told the price is good...but again I smoke a bowl or do a day so that's not really an issue. This would probably be good to stock up on and age. Great stuff.

Weisenheimer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Weisenheimer (17)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a tobacco out of the clone comprising Orlik Bull's Eye Flake, Stokkebye Luxury Bulls Eye Flake and Davidoff Flake Medallions. I tried them all, and they are all the same, only difference is price and country of availability.

Excellent VAPer, with a core of Cavendish. Not as bold as Escudo or Dunhill DLNR would be (w/o the Cavendish core), but more “subtle”. A treat which has earned its own pipe, and showing its full performance after a couple of bowls.

piedpipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
piedpipester (19)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I've been smoking Escudo for some time, always have several tins in the drawer.To me, this tobacco is as "Escudoish" as your going to get. In fact, I may like it a little more. Same great quality tobacco, well made, and the taste seems to be a little rounder. Give me A couple of scotch and sodas as a head start, and I seriously doubt that I could you the difference if you loaded my pipe behind my back and handed it to me. Daily smoke for me now, and highly recommended, especially if you are watching the budget.

II Stormy II Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
II Stormy II (14)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

Very good smoking experience. The taste is dependent on preparation. I prefer it semi rubbed out and pack it enough to leave room for expansion. I don't enjoy flakes completely rubbed out for the most part. This is a very nice blend, good smoke.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (163)
Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

A good tobacco.

All the components can be scented: The Virginias, Perique and the nucleos of Black Cavendish. Four Stars for People that enjoy pure Virginias and Virginia with Perique blends.

I'm not a specialist in VAPERs or in pure Virginias, but i enjoy this.

Observation: In this Tobacco Reviews Database, this is the same stuff as the blends called: Orlik's "Bull's Eye Flake" and Orlik's Bull's Eye" because it was produced by Orlik's prior.

A7Guitar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A7Guitar (5)

This is my first time with a blend with perique in it and as such should be taken with quite a bit of salt. But after having a few bowls of this blend I must say either perique is not for me or this blend is not as good as I had hoped. As for taste it is very pleasurable. But there is a certain bite that is on the tongue as well as the throat for me that I did not like at all. I have noticed that after smoking it the evening before in the morning i wake up with a bad sore throat that is however quickly cured by quite a bit of water. I wish it didnt have this feeling because if not for that I would gladly order plenty more. I have tried it dry as well as good rh and overly saturated rh but still that throat and tongue burning is still there. I do like this feeling while eating hot peppers but not in my smoking.

Short and sweet if you are a fan of perique I dont think you will be dissapointed. But if you arent then i would suggest stay away or at least order a 1 0z bulk bag to try it out. I hope this helps.

NA Morrison Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NA Morrison (32)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

tried this after smoking davidoff flake medallion and found this to be quite plesant although I find the davidoff blend to be better and smoother than the stokkebye blend I still recomend this as a good smoke

jhigh58 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jhigh58 (13)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

The Virginias provide that delicious citrusy, earthy sweetness,light and bright. the perique adds some depth, and the cavendish mellows the whole blend out quite a bit Smokes great to the end of the bowl no goopy dottle at the end even though the packing was a bit moist, loosely packed bowl seems to burn better and the price that Stokkebye's sell this stuff foR, fantastic. If I had the time and correct setting to rub this out and prepare a bowl I would smoke this all the time.

Petersons&Virginias Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Petersons&Virginias (4)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I've never tried Escudo so I can't compare. I do really like this though, as a bit of a change in pace from my normally preferred straight VAs and burleys. The perique adds a spice and zestiness, that makes this baccy very pleasantly hearty. The first time I partook of this, I was drinking a Jack and Coke. I'll be darned if the cola's sweet flavor didn't yang to this blends peppery yin very well. I smoke it in a MM Gentleman Corncob pipe, and it doesn't seem bitey. Maybe if I pushed it though.

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (49)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Update The more I smoke this the more I love it! I would say it's more on par with Escudo...and cheaper.

This was a good Va/Per and beautiful in disc. form. The Cavendish adds a note of sweetness, but can also bite. It reminds of me of Escudo, but misses it just by a tad (Thus the 3 stars instead of 4). Still wonderful blends, smells of plums, hay, and a bit'o'rum. Love it!

Bucky19 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bucky19 (13)

this is the best blend Peter Stokkebye has put out in my thinking its a normal coin cut virginia but then it is sweeten up with a little bit of cavendish if you like any of those virginia flakes try this it is a good twist to an original flake tobacco

kiowapipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kiowapipe (17)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I find this to a pretty good VA/Per. It's closer in flavor (and presentation, obviously) to Escudo than to Luxury Navy Flake. More rich warmth, less grassy brightness. I had expected the cavendish to play more of a role than it does. It sort of conditions everything and I think helps to keep things interesting. It's not all that noticeable, really. This is a pretty good VA/Per flake and a great value for the price.

Katharsis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Katharsis (39)

Smoking first sample right now, and instantly I thought I was smoking Escudo. Basically, this IS Escudo for all intents and purposes, except with Black Cavendish makiing it smoother and slightly more mellow. There isn't much Cavendish, which is good in my opinion. I personally like this more than Escudo, because Escudo can be a bit over the top with it's Perique content for me.

Rivermont Rebel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rivermont Rebel (5)

This was my first smoke of a Peter Stokkebye offering. Spicy Perique is balanced with the fermented Cavendish, and filled in with Virginias, making for a very satisfying weed. I throughly enjoy the coin format too, unravel about three disc, pack the pipe, and you are good to go.

beardedhermit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beardedhermit (30)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Peppery, and sweet with a little extra from the Cavendish. Sometimes i pop out the centers to be smoked by them selves just so I get my cav fix when i crave it. Fun smoke! Recommended.

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This was my first experience with Bullseye and "coin" tobacco. I enjoy aromatics and dark cavendish tobaccos and the reviews for this were good. Got it stuffed into my pipe and lit it up. I actually enjoy the taste of this blend HOWEVER it is quite strong for my tastes. Definitely one not to be inhaled, I cough every single time I try to inhale the smoke. It is quite flavorful though, a bit of a bite if smoked too quickly. It does take a bit of work to keep it burning all the way down but is worth it. Bullseye reminds me a bit of MacBaren's Scottish mix taste wise and is a bit stronger. Not one for an all day smoke for me, just a bit much for my tastes. Worth trying, get a sample (I did) and makes for a nice change of pace.

flakey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flakey (43)

Is this actually a va/p? The percentage of perique must be low, I have trouble locating it in either taste or mouthfeel. No matter. Good virginia taste and sweet... a little too sweet to be a regular of mine. Good quality tobacc and very reasonably priced. I do keep a bottomless jar of this on hand and occasionally spend a day on it. I don't really get the flavor shift that one might expect from a va/p (it's shiftless... lol) but for a flake it's quite the bargain.

nitekrawlr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nitekrawlr (26)

There's really not much more I can add, that wasn't said by the previous reviewer. This is a great tasting, and very balanced tobacco blend of Va., Perique, and a core of Black Cavendish. And for the price that Stokkebye's sell this stuff for, I should be buying it by the pound. Do yourself a favor if you haven't tried Bullseye Flake, and pick up an ounce or two.

Brown Pipeman 1940 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brown Pipeman 1940 (40)

I cannot comment on how this flake compares with Escudo or some of the flake medallions that others have compared it to. I will say this: I don't know of another tobacco brand that can beat Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Flakes when it comes to value for your money. This blend was and is simply excellent! The Virginias provide that delicious citrusy, earthy sweetness, the Perique gives it a touch of spice, and the Black Cavendish adds just a touch of mildness and sweetness that prevents either the Virginias or Perique from becoming dominant. It is a pleasant to the eye, delicious in the mouth, tantalizing to your nostrils, and inexpensive to your wallet! Once again, thank you Stokkebyes for making such good quality, affordable blends!

marosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marosi (47)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Lets get this out of the way right out of the gate. Some have said this is basically the same thing as Davidoff Flake Medallions at much better price. It is not. You may like this more or less than Flake Medallions, and yes, they have the same basic components, but they are dissimilar in taste to a significant degree. The virginias in this blend are much brighter with more lemon and citrus. Flake Medallions, conversely, is smoother and more well rounded. They are both good, but to my palate Flake Medallions is a much smoother, more complex and sophisticated smoke. This tastes like it looks. It is rougher and less refined in appearance than the Davidoff blend, and that is exactly how I would describe the differences between how they smoke.

Similarly, while I hate to compare this directly to Escudo, which lacks the cavendish center, Escudo kicks this blend all over the place in terms of flavor and complexity. If you are buying this as a cheap substitute to Escudo, you are cheating yourself.

With that said, Escudo and Flake Medallions are simply the best of this type of blend that is presently available in my estimation. They are four star blends that stand head and shoulders above what is generally available, so LBF not reaching their lofty heights is not really any strike against it, as a bulk blend.

Taken on its own merits, LBF is very tasty, and, given the brightness of the virginias coupled with the cavendish and spice from the perique, offers a unique taste experience. It is spicy, and that spice remains throughout the bowl. The foundation offered by the virginias reminds me of Orlik Golden Sliced. I find the perique component to be very forward and noticeable here. The impact of the cavendish is minimal.

The flakes themselves are rather shaggy, like a cow midwinter, and have a tendency to come apart in the bag. It, like most flakes, needs to be dried until it is dry to the touch before packing, for the best, coolest, and most flavorful smoke. I have never had much luck folding and packing, but I respect those who can do it, so give that a try, as it is supposed to produce an even cooler smoke. It burns well, and remains cool when puffed with common sense.

Overall this is a pretty fine blend. Had I not tried Flake Medallions or Escudo, I would probably be trying to convince my buddies that this was "the" va/per blend that they had to try. It deserves a solid three stars, and really can be enjoyed for its own unique flavor. This seems like one which would change a little given the size and shape of the bowl, but I have not taken the time to experiment in that regard, as there are so many tasty things to stick in my pipe and set on fire!

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)

I discovered this blend shortly after Mac Baren's Dark Twist and for me it was a perfect follow up for such a nice smoke as DT. I really like this blend, it has entered my top ten list I think. I can smoke it almost any time, and enjoy it just the same, but for me it really brings back memories of the Fall of 09 sitting next to the open sliding glass door in my old apartment and smelling the fresh fall air as it came into the room on a breeze, the taste of LBF and the smell of fall mingled so well for me during that time. The dryer this blend got the better it tasted to me, it was a pity I only had a small baggie of it. It is smooth and satisfying and stands all on it's own, but also goes great with a hoppy IPA or a nice cold lager IMO. So nice how the VA's are softened by the cavendish and then you get that occasional peak of perique lapping at your tongue, just enough to keep you interested, but not present through the entire blend. For such a good price it is an extremely well constructed smoke. Sip this one, not because it will bite, but because that's how it should be enjoyed!

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

P.S. Bullseye Flake.. This tobacco has what it takes to be very satisfying. Just a tad over mild in strength and flavor, with a pleasant aroma. Normally I can do without Perique, but its fits here, and is subdued to a tolerable level. My bulk pack needed only minor drying, and rubbed out nicely. No bite and only a slight Perique tongue tingle. Not my all day smoke, but there are days I will smoke it a lot more than once. Personal rating 3 out of 5

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (68)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Of all the Luxury Blends by P.S. this one is my go-to all day smoke. I buy this in bulk, and it never lets me down. Love this stuff with strong coffee, or a good whiskey. Burns clean leaving very little dottle. I pinch off small pieces of the rings, and pack them a bit loose. The bulk I buy is always a bit moist, and the loosely packed bowl seems to burn better, with fewer relights. I put the little cavendish piece about halfway inside the bowl, then cover it up with the remainder of the outer ring. It's a parfait thing, I guess. Over all, if you're not a fan of perique, this one might change your mind, as the perique is very subtle in this blend.

Uncle Arthur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uncle Arthur (15)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

You can't seem to go wrong with the PS blends and this one is excellent. Lovely aroma when you pop the box open. The flakes rub out well or fold and stuff easily. I buy this a full box at a time.At the price I don't think it can be beat.

The Commoner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Commoner (30)
Medium Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I am a Stokkebye fan, a Vaper fan, and a flake fan yet this one didn't work for me.

I very much enjoy Luxury Navy flake but found LBF to fall flat. I have tried and tried with this one. I've smoked it in all my best vaPer suspects, tried smoking only this belnd for a couple days straight. Left it to age in jars. Nothing.

I always think the light bulb will suddenly go on and I'll get it.

But I never do.

All I find in this blend is a dry, flat, nearly tasteless smoke.

So why rate it 3 stars?

Despite my experience I would still recommend anyone with any level of interest in VaPers try this stuff. It's a good quality blend and clearly many others find it highly enjoyable.

It's certainly a credible offering. It just didn't click for me.

BingCrosby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BingCrosby (48)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

If you want to try a va/per and are wondering where to start - this is a solid choice.. First off, it comes at a very reasonable bulk price, it is a nice medallion flake experience, it is fairly mild but has a good classic va/per flavor, and finally the cavendish center offers a little extra sweetness that will take the edge off for the beginning va/per smoker. moreover, the tobacco is of a reasonably high quality.. do not expect an escudo clone.. but a pleasant mildly robust smoke.. smoke slowly and enjoy.

edit.. the more i smoke this the more I notice the cavendish.. and while it is still a 3 star smoke I would have to say that this is far from the ideal va/per smoke.

Tee-dub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tee-dub (48)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm no expert at Virginia-Perique, but I'll add my two cents:

The coins rub out easily, and light well. For a Virginia blend, this one is forgiving. Sweet and tasty.

AZ_Smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AZ_Smoker (6)

This is a great VaPer. No, it isn't Escudo or any other blend that I have smoked...... which is fine by me because I was looking for something a little different. This is "a little different" and a very tasty smoke.

Try this in a meerschaum. It really is impressive. I don't find it boring at all. Smokes great to the end of the bowl and, for those who might care, seems to go well with the palate after eating a pork or fish dish for supper. It actually seems to compliment the meal. This is definitely a keeper in my personal rotation.

Slow Draw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Draw (26)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Light and tangy with a mild sweetness. You can easily tell that this is close cousin to Luxury Twist Flake. An easy smoke that that's fun to smoke a variety of ways. However, the flavor "sweet spot" is short and can fall off quickly if the puffing pace quickens too much. NOT even close to Escudo ...don't be fooled!

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (33)

How many reviews does this tobacco blend need? Does it need one more from me? Nope. But here goes anyway.It'll be a short one for me,anyway.

Probably one of the best Virginia-Perique blends ever. Escudo? Nope but just as good as the past(1973- till when it was discontinued temporarily) and the present incarnation.

Simply put it does everything that a Virginia-Perique blend can do and then a little more.As good or better than anything else out there including the Kendal tobaccos and any other.

Get some---you'll see.

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The description of this blend is spot on. The virginias are light and bright, the perique adds some depth, and the cavendish mellows the whole blend out quite a bit. I folded and stuffed two discs in a medium pipe and smoked it earlier today, outdoors, in terrible smoking conditions, and was very surprised at how pleasant and mellow the smoke was. The blend had been jarred just a bit less than two years ago, and the time probably helped smooth the rough edges. I think this is an incredible value. There are definitely blends out there I like more, but they also cost more. This seems like a really great alternative to many of the cheaper bulk blends as it's nearly the same price, and much better.

Fellow traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fellow traveler (64)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

My 2 ounce sample came from the bottom of the box. Six or so nice coins with hard black centers, the rest like crushed shredded wheat. Dry in the pouch with a slight smell of virginia and a hint of the vanilla black cavendish. Saved the coins and lit the scrap, to harsh and the dust came up the stem. Tried the coins. Tasted ok but harsh and lacked smoothness, with a cigarette quality to the smoke. Overall, I find most of the Stokkebye blends to be a bit rough with a pronounced sharpness. Not for me either as a virginia or a vaper. It is an interesting presentation but not something I would pay for again.

ivycap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ivycap (63)

Perfect! By far the best Perique blend I've ever smoked. Naturally sweet and pungent, with a little bit of spice. Perfect balance and very satisfying. Two coins, rubbed out gently, are perfect for the pipe.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This has to be one of the best looking tobaccos on the market, with the little bullseye of Cavendish highlighting the sliced coins of tobacco. Naturally, it's smoking qualities are more important but I thought I should mention it here. I tried LBF in several pipes, including a Peterson apple and two Penguin briars. It smoked about the same in all of them.

Lighting and burn are a little problematic for me with LBF. I tried stuffing the coins and rubbing them out with the same result: several relights throughout the smoke. Once lit, LBF has a delightful VA flavor, slightly sweet with the pepperiness of the Perique constantly present. Even more sweetness appears when you hit the little Cavendish bullseye. It's a nice surprise in a pleasant smoke.

Prices on LBF are reasonable, considering the expense it must taka to manufacture those coins. I get mine from Mars Cigars but there are many good vendors out there.

Scores for LBF: taste- 17 of 20; lighting and burn- 6 of 10; value; 8 of 10. 31 points equals a high * score for LBF.

str8blastpot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
str8blastpot (6)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

this is a wonderful presentation that puts me in mind of macbaren dark twist. only more user friendly, flavorful, pleasant to look at and less expensive. rubs out nicely, keeps a light fairly well and provides a nice volume of richly layered smoke. not pungent like 2015 or quite as sweet. a good example of the type and a very nice smoke.

Davetopay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay (42)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

As I get to have more and more good tobaccos I find I need to go back through my reviews and alter the curve which pertains to the rating of each blend. This stuff is screwing up ALL the curves.

The pouch aroma is of clean VAs and tangy Perique, but the sweet smell of cavendish is missing. The feel of the coins is firm and the moisture level seems to be just right. I have had no need to dry this before smoking. I tend to be a rubb and fluff guy when it comes to flakes, so bear that in mind. I just hate fighting to get a good even light with the fold and stuff style. This rubs out very easily and packs firmly with just enough spring to let you know when you have it just right. It only took to hits of flame to get it rolling, and minimal attention needed to be given with the tamper. There are so many tastes going on in here it is hard to keep up....butterscotch, vanilla, cocoa, something fruity, something nutty, a little sour raisin....I need to go have more to get it all figured out. It was sweet, and creamy, cool and not too dry or wet. It never steamed me out and only required a single swab of the pipe cleaner at about the halfway point. By the end I could actually feel the nic catching up to me and was ready to be done, but still wanted more. Even at the bottom of the bowl it kept evolving and never got ashy.

As I try different tobaccos, I find those that I go back to buy more of....this is one.

scotts Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scotts (2)

Smoked a few cigars, but new to pipe smoking. First review. Gotta start somewhere.

In the package I get a scent of hay, backed up with tomato paste/italian spice (perique?) with undercurrent of maybe apricot. The flakes are moister than the ribbon cuts I'm use too so far.

Rubbed out a couple to fill a new missouri pride cob. They lit up easily and smoked smooth to the bottom with maybe a couple of relights. That's good for me. Dense smoke when the draw was right. Nice.

The taste to me sweeter and fruitier but less cloying in each aspect than the Carter Hall I have. VaPer vs Aromatic I guess. No tongue bite during the smoking, but a little tender afterwards. I like it, and a nice complement to the Balkan Supreme I have in my limited stash.

seasonalpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
seasonalpipesmoker (6)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Unnoticeable

I'm not sure what everyone gets so excited about with this tobacco. Yes, it's pretty. But it smells and tastes like plain cigarette. No Virginia sweetness, no Cavendish aroma. At least it was inexpensive.

Tallman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tallman (35)

I like this tobacco a lot..packs and lights beautifully, burns well, and is a joy to taste. I'm geetting to be a big VaPer fan...and this one is a regular for me! Try it...you may find a friend for life!

sirchud68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sirchud68 (43)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

This was the first flake I ever tried. A few years ago Eric Stokkebye was promoting his fathers memoirs at our local shop. Turns out I was smoking Stokkebye products (Norwegian shag rolling tobacco) long before I started smoking pipes. I picked up a couple of different Stokkebye flakes that day and though I enjoyed all of them I enjoyed bullseye the best. Beautifully put together.

Cancerman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cancerman (13)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

This is some top notch tobacco! I'm thinking this may be my very favorite, it's a close tie between this and Anniversary Kake. Anniv. Kake is a bit more harsh when you smoke it, (I assume that's probably the extra perique?) and it also has less nicotine which is just about right on for me. This stuff almost has a bit too much nicotine, it's right at the top for me. I have to put it down half way through a bowl to recover but can pick it right up again. It's great tasting too, I can hardly bring myself to dump the last of a bowl if I have to smoke and go. I take a flake and break it apart and when loaded at a point where it seems a bit too moist, it still keeps burning away. This stuff really packs a punch, perhaps not as much as Night Train, and is some of the best tasting tobacco I've ever had in my pipe. I had a cigarette smoker take a quick puff on my pipe when they were smoking cigs and they said they caught a buzz, for sure it's strong in the nico dept., maybe its a bit over the top for a new pipe smoker. However, it's great for taking a quick smoke break with the pipe. One disk completly fills my medium sized Savinelli semi-churchwarden. Great stuff, get some!

This remains the only tobacco I've managed to go through a pound and a half of, and I have another box on (long) backorder, which must mean a lot of other folks like Bullseye as well. None of the internet stores seem to have it in stock these days. This was the first Virginia I tried, after a bad first experience with McCranie's Old Master, which one of the boys (I used to live in Charlotte) recommended for a beginning pipe smoker, for what reason I can not comprehend. My next attempt was McCranie's Murdoch's Pipe, and the Latakia did not strike my fancy-I threw the can away, which I regret, because I smoke the occasional English now, and would probably appreciate the blend if I smoked some today. (Edit 1/11/11: I have and I do!) One thing that might not have helped is that at McCranie's, they presented me with the camel s___ story as if it were true. I next went down the road to the South Park Mall Tinder Box, and talked to a genial, gray-bearded gentleman who had used to work for McCranies (Don't think by this that I have anything against McCranie's, though I have to say the only one of their tobaccos I really, really liked was the Red Flake "blended" by McClellands). As a Tolkien afficionado, I was interested in the Kentucky cured I had once read about Tolkien having favoured. For some reason, the fellow pointed me to Bullseye-I know what Kentucky cured is now and it ain't Bullseye, but maybe he was thinking of the cavendish center. From the moment I got home and admired the pretty little coins and smoked this wonderful product for the first time, I was hooked. Since then, I have tried many other great Virginias, but have to say this is still my desert island tobacco. I never get tired of it, and when I have a supply I have to force myself to put it away for a while and smoke something else. However, I can do without it just fine-haven't been able to get any for months and am surviving quite well, but I miss it. When my order finally comes in, I'm going to stuff four or five coins in my largest pipe and smoke for an hour. I can't pin down what it is about the blend that makes me like it so much-sorry I can't come up with any specific descriptions of the flavor, I just know it hits the bullseye for me!

1-23-10 When you get this, put it in a mason jar immediately. A few months aging does wonders! I like to try lots of tobaccos, but sometimes wonder why I need anything else (of course we all need variety). But this stuff is so good, and is only $2 an ounce! Man, was that last pipe good!

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Pouch aroma of these beautifully fabricated coins is sweet and light with little distinctiveness.

At light up, a slightly sweetish topping is evident. The red VAs are exceptionally mild and very clean tasting. The perique content is quite light but noticeable while the intermittent clods of black cavendish add a bit of fullness.

Soft and ingratiating, Bullseye Flake is a flavorsome and well-priced VA/Per. Its mildness makes it a good choice for all-day puffing. This goes best in narrow gauge chambers.

David1295 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
David1295 (1)

As the description says, this is 'an unparalleled smoking experience'. Sweet, cool, would have to be pushed VERY hard to bite. This isn't a copy of Escudo, but an improvement on it. If you only had room for one tobacco, this would be a very good choice.

Lawrence G. Foster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lawrence G. Foster (7)

A pleasant Virginia-Perique flake. While less enjoyed than the very similar Twist Flake, Bull's eye flake is also very beautifully presented and enjoyable to smoke. Puffed slowly, the flake will produce a sweet smoke with the subtle piquancy of perique.

maboman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
maboman (11)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I have been wanting to try this for a long time and today picked some up from my local tobacconist in Tampa. (Edwards pipe and tobacco.)

I am so glad I found this. As a self proclaimed va/per junkie this little coin flake really hits the spot in a big, big way.

I have smoked 3 bowls from 2 different pipes and I am very impressed with the presentation, smoking characteristics and value. This is a great tobacco that could easily be an all day smoke for me.

I will be buying by the pound very soon!

2 coins will do ya!

Maboman

poppy43 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
poppy43 (10)
Strong None Detected Mild Tolerable

I ordered a sample of this tobacco along with nmy order of Stokkeby Proper English, and am sorry I did. It is way to strong for me, I get sick every time I smoke it, the nicotine must pack a punch in this. But, that doesn't mean it's a bad tobacco for someone else and I've got 2 oz. I'd like to give away to someone else. Update: I loaded this stuff up with latakia, it's smokeable now but never again.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)

When I smoke a bowl of this blend, I often wonder exactly what Stokkebye hoped to accomplish when putting it together.

I imagine it was created in some alternate universe, where Escudo really managed to go out of production. The factory was shut down, the presses carted away. Nostalgia brought fans of the deceased together to demand a worthy copy of that legendary blend.

One manufacturer hastily put out a Vaper in loose cut form, proudly proclaiming an exact match. Tins were churned out fast to meet an insatiable demand. Yet the fans balked at this opportunism and so arranged a boycott to register their dissatisfaction. Another blender decided that a long and wide, single wrapped flake, with a bit of Latakia, would satisfy the rank and file, and win converts as a slight crossover blend. But the people would have none of it.

Peter Stokkebye, sensing opportunity, rose to the occasion, releasing this alternative. It was just like Escudo, but different in minor details...a tribute to the former, but original in its own right.

Instead of the hard, compacted coins, Luxury Bullseye Flake offered a spin slightly less wound up, looser around the edges. The chosen Virginias sweet, the Perique in similar proportion to the vaunted prototype. Only, in filtering the words of the crowd, they decided to tone the strength down just a little. Someone suggested a sweet center to top it off, and so the Cavendish bullseye was added as a mark of novelty. Curious now, fans debated whether one could actually discern this new addition in a blind test, even before the new product could find its way into a shop.

In remembering this, a man remarked to his son that the people rejoiced, and thanked Peter Stokkebye for their effort--an homage to a great blend, gone but not forgotten.

"In celebration of their new treat," he said, "smokers gathered together on the interwebs, the popular slogan they repeated, "An unparalleled smoking experience.""

Medium Very Mild Mild Tolerable

This flake is the one where stuffing and rubbing out makes the biggest difference. I used to fold the medallions and came to the wrong conclusion that it was a cheap cased Virginia. Now that I rub out and air for some time before packing, it's a new smoke that I can enjoy every time I want a mild VaPer.

Slow puffing is a must to avoid tongue bite and to catch the nuances of mild Virginias. These are not top quality and sort of citrus-cased, but still enjoyable through breath smoking. Also, perique is way in the background (I would like a bit more).

Somewhere between two and three stars.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium Medium Full Very Pleasant

I find myself shifting more to VAper's for my virginia fix, I love flakes and Navy Cuts. This is a winner, just ordered 3lbs. I love the mustiness to this blend, a very earthy flavor on top of a Danish sweet navy style. It can bite a little, it isn't super high in nicotine, it can be a little too candy sweet sometimes, but really, this can still join Marlin Flake, Solani 633 and Escudo's as another great VAper flake.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (134)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This is my first foray into the Va/Per arena and I am very impressed with this blend. The taste is great with more of a definite nicotine presence than I am used to. I have been smoking aromatics almost entirely since getting into this money-sucking habit. I smoke outside at home and work, so the room note being marked as "pleasant" is from smoking this blend outside only at this point. I haven't been anywhere inside with this one yet.The coins are very impressive to look at and smell great in the bag. I can honestly say that I have tried, but can't get this blend to even come close to any form of tongue biting. I can see myself getting lots more of this fine PS blend in the days ahead.

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

======= Since I'm adding reviews today I thought I'd update this little bit of tomfoolery. It seems that the original review, which I had attempted to satirize, is no longer here. Too bad...the jist was, that, if a tobacco is listed under two different names for bulk sale, say like Capitain Black white and RLP-6, and you write your review under the Wrong name, you then obviously "have no business " posting reviews here. I find this amusing.

I only wish I could find that original review.....maybe I'm looking under the wrong name, I'm dumb that way. ========

I already reviewed this lovely stuff under the name Bullseye Flake. Please see my review of. . wait a minute. .

Good Heavens!! This tobacco is listed on this website under two different names!! Same tobacco, 2 NAMES! What an outrageous waste of precious resources. Someone must be smited! Fellow Critics of Tobacco, boil the oil! (many of them probably smoke cheap pipes)

O.k. maybe I should lighten up. Can't we all get along and---- smoke in peace

NapaWineLover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NapaWineLover (66)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

While I love some of Stokkebye's offerings ... this is not one of them. To my palate it is bland, hot, rough and the VA seems to need considerable more maturity. It's almost green to my tastes. At the same time the shape is marvelous ... and I fear this has added to my disappointment. I have tried it freshly acquired ... aged ... and really aged. It fails to please me.

Cheers, VC

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (115)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

I concur with the positive reviews about this tobak. Aside from being interesting in appearance, this smoke is mild with sweet grassy Virginia taste. It also has a hint of nuts. Won't bite, no matter how hard you provoke it. A quality all-day smoke.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is great stuff. Reminds me of Escudo, but the Black Cavandish Bullseye in the middle not only looks appealing, but is like hitting a sweet spot when you smoke. I smoke in a bent rhodesian and its perfect for the following: Pop the bullseye out and cover the draft hole, then fold the original and another on top and go to town. Spicey and rich till you hit the top eye.....Sweet change...Then spicey to the bottom and sweet finish... Stuff is great. Local B&M carries in bulk...So $1.99 an ounce? The bomb!

Not sure what is the cause, but this stuff bit the heck out of me and even roasted the roof of my mouth as well as the sidewalls.

The strength was there, the Virginia flavor was semi-sweet and not at all tart or tangy. The tobacco was at a beautiful moisture level and the spun leaf rubbed out easily.

I'll give this one a tepid recomendation. My palate says this is a fine blend for strength and flavor. My body chemistry said NO!

Now then, I'm going to load up a bowl of something more forgiving and spend the next hour puffing slowly and reading the review below mine.

Heliumbro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Heliumbro (13)

(I am a newer and irregular pipe smoker. My reviews are subject to my preferences and tastes and pipe smoking habits) Nice half dollar sized coins. Doesn't smell too great in the tin... or I should say plastic bag. Kind of mild virginia tobacco leaf, but nothing really 'dark fruit' to make the Perique stand out. The first few times I smoked this, I rubbed the coins out completely and packed it a little loose. It was a mild flavoured smoke with a little black pepper. I've found this smoked best folded and stuffed for the most flavourful experience, for me. Some sweet and sour flavours, and a smooth smoke throughout most of the bowl. Some richness/body from the cavendish? Don't notice too much flavour from Perique during the smoke, however 10 or so seconds after exhaling, I slowly get this delayed black pepper tingle over my palate. Never experienced that before until this smoke, which was not unpleasant. A little ashy after taste, but that may be my smoking practices. It is pretty cheap, available in bulk and seems like it will benefit from some age. I've got the rest of my 4oz purchase packed in a mason jar and shelved to return to later for a second opinion. This would be a good all day VaPer/Cav for those not able or wanting to pay for the more expensive tins (i.e. Escudo, Davidoff Flake Medallions) but still like this style of blend.

Pipe Used: Estate Cesare Billiard

Age When Smoked: New/Fresh

arpie55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
arpie55 (30)

I love the looks, packs well in various ways, very good value but just too "bright" of a blend for me, plus seems to bite tongue much more than most va/per blends.

Pipe Used: Ascorti, Radice, CAO

Purchased From: Edwards in Tampa, FL

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (38)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

I just didn't "get" this tobacco. It was OK, but not great. It certainly cannot hold a candle to escudo. I did rub some out out and mixed it with a cherry aro and the results were wonderful.

Thorre Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thorre (27)

This is another fine blend of Peter Stokkebye's. I am always surprised at the quality, because of the low price. I don't suppose high price guarantees quality. The appearance is really cool. The multi-colored coins. You can clearly see the black Cavendish center. Which to me, adds a nice sweet flavor towards the end of the bowl. The smell reminds me of my Granny's fig preserves. The smell also reminded of the peanut hay I used to break up to feed horses, years ago. If I am smoking this in a smaller pipe, I totally rub the coins out. In a large bowl I just fold a couple of coins, an then twist some of the tobacco at the top of the bowl so that it lights easier. At the match, it lights well, burns perfect, down to a powder white ash. How I test the quality of the leaf, I take the pipe tool and dip some ash and rub it around the top edge of the bowl. The taste starts out for me, as a very good Virginia flake. Then I start feel the tingle of the peppery Perique . I taste this black Cavendish in the last 1/4 of the bowl. I have read that this makes the blend not a true Va/Pers in a sense. To me, that is what really makes this blend superior to other VaPers. I just ordered another half pound that I hope I have the willpower to age for a couple of years. This is in my top ten. The other nine would be mostly English/Balkans/ Straight Va. flakes. I highly recommend this. I am not very good at writings reviews, but I love reading them. They have helped me in my search for some wonderful blends. I appreciate having this site.

Pipe Used: Bjorne Viking, Bjorne Egg Churchwarden

Purchased From: pipeandcigars.com

sheboyganjohn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sheboyganjohn (5)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Found this blend to be very tasty. Nice clean tobacco flavor with a sweet undertone. I have only smoked this once while on a business trip. When I rinsed my mouth out while in the shower an hour after smoking it brought the flavor back in force and was excellent. This will be one of my mainstays.

Note to anyone reading this, I am using terms and descriptions that I will recognize and understand, may not match the way you would view the tobacco.

Pipe Used: Parker Super Briar bent

Purchased From: pipe and tobacco

430pat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
430pat (39)

Yes it is relatively inexpensive, I prefer to pay the extra premium and smoke Escudo or Dunhill navy rolls, this tobacco bites and is not smooth whatsoever you certainly get what you pay for.I don't have that may years left to smoke inferior tobacco.....Thanks for listening

Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I was quite surprised to find this to be a very boring smoke for me. For me (and apparenty only me), the Cavendish just dulled the VaPer flavors witout adding anything interesting. Without the Cavendish center, this was a decent VaPer, but there are lots of others out there I enjoy more.

Dartan4114 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dartan4114 (4)
Medium to Strong Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This was a pleasant smoke. I had never smoked this type of flake before and so upon the recommendation of my tobbaconist, I rolled the flake and gently tamped it in my pipe. This allowed the tobacco to have some layers that changed throughout the smoke. It started off with a mild spiciness from the Virginia and Perique and as you get to the middle that spiciness blends with the sweetness of the Cavendish. The bowl finished with a nice sweet-spicy flavor. I think I will let it age a little to mellow out the spicy flavors but overall this was a good smoke with a nice room note.

Juna Gu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Juna Gu (31)

Something of a novelty for tobacco retailers in Hollywood and Los Angeles but nonetheless a dry and anaemic version of ..... some other Bulls Eye Concept. Now look what you could have won....

Justso Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Justso (4)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco made me a believer in the Virignia/Perique blends. I love this stuff and it's a great value. The cavendish center takes the edge off the the spiciness of the Perique and gives a pleasant room note. If you're wanting to get the Perique experience, here it is. You'll definitely taste the spicy bite balanced out with a subtle sweetness.

The deeper into the bowl you get, the spicier it gets, but the more pronounced the cavendish gets to really keep things in check. It it tremendously well-behaved in the bowl with virtually no bite. It has the traditional Virginia "hay/straw" flavor, but it's not overpowering leaving a very pleasant, mild aftertaste.

If I were an all day every day smoker, this would be one I would pack in the bowl all the time as a good economical, everyday smoke. Do I give it 4 stars? No. But in my ratings scheme, a 4-star blend has to be in the stratosphere of tobaccos. But this gets every bit of 3 stars and I highly recommend everyone give it a shot.

For less than $5 USD an oz, you're getting a very good quality bulk coin tobacco with little to no risk at all. If you've tried Vapers in the past and weren't crazy about them, give this one a shot.

It's hard not to compare this to Escudo, which I think is the "king of the coins." I am a fan of some Stokkebye blends, but given the competition in this category I think that Bull's Eye simply falls short. It lacks the depth of Escudo and to my surprise, even with the cavendish, I don't think it is as sweet as Escudo. Davidoff's Flake Medallions I also find to be a more well rounded smoke. I find the Virginia's to be much sharper in taste as well. Given the fact that BYF comes in bulk, its not a bad tobacco at its price point and maybe some time in the cellar will smooth out the edges. Somewhat Recommended.

Smoking-To-Port Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smoking-To-Port (13)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

I like all of Peters Luxury line.Except this.Thought it would be a bulk offering similar to Escudo.So far it has never smoked that way.Escudo I like,this tastes,smells and I am told it smells like cigarettes,and my family and friends are usually very indulgent about my other tobacco choices---Balkans/English/Vaper/Vabur/Va/Burley/OTC/Old GymSocks whatever.They don't care for the smell of this,and quite frankly nor do I.If it works for you,have at it!It is not for me.

N7COF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
N7COF (56)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Well I prefer AC Peterson's Escudo & Davidoff's Flake Medallions in quality and taste to this blend. That comparison may not be fair with this being a bulk tobacco and my preferred VaPers are tinned but this was available at my local B&M.

ROBERT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ROBERT (16)

I find it to be a good relaxing end of the day smoke

Coskun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coskun (23)

Discs are regular and moisture is perfect...There is periuqe but its not dominate...I like packed rubout...Its easy pack and lit...Nicotine level is good for me...

Better than Flake Medallions...But its competition Orlik Bulls Eye...

huffnpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
huffnpuff (44)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

bulleye has nice looking slices of tobacco with a nice hay like smell and taste. love the smell coming in my nose but the smoke tastes wet like im going to drool but over all very good tobac, so I bought a pound of it for the long ride

huffnpuff

Loboatomy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Loboatomy (36)

Just a fantastic smoke. Perfectly balanced, no bite at all, but not a "bland" tobacco. Love the cav centers.

Maybe not an "all day" smoke, but could easily be an "every day" smoke for me.

I'm buying a bunch of this in bulk ASAP.

(Enjoying this in a smallish filter prince)

pipe_organist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe_organist (14)

This is my first foray into VA/Per blends, and I received a packet of coins from a fellow over at the pipe forum at "puff.com".

The coins are large and beautifully constructed. They smell sweet in the pouch. As I prefer a fully rubbed-out technique for smoking tobacco of this type (having little luck with the "fold and stuff" method), it only took two of these wonderful coins to fill a large meerschaum three-quarter bent.

It lights well and burns evenly. I found the initial flavor to be grassy and harsh, but I think there may have been a bit of ghosting from other tobaccos smoked in this pipe. I smoked half of the bowl last night and struggled with the nicotine content (I broke a sweat, which happens for me if the 'baccy is strong), despite smoking it in the evening on a full stomach.

I retired the pipe half-smoked and have returned to it tonight (almost 24 hours later) and found the relight to be a pleasant surprise. The smoke now is rich and flavorful, no hint of grassiness with a hint of sweetness that I had expected originally. The Perique is more in evidence as is the black cavendish.

I had intended to pass on the remaining coins to others in my local "pipe clatch" (we don't have a full-blown club where I reside, but a great group of about 5 guys who meet weekly). I've changed my mind and will finish the remaining coins to make a final decision about this blend. So far, my preferences lean toward Mac Baren flakes (Navy, Mixture and Dark Twist Roll Cake), but this one may be an acquired taste for me.

I currently give it between 2 and 3 stars, leaning toward 3.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)

The discs are very elegant. I adore the Virginia-Perique mixture's color and the dark cavendish bulls eye at the middle.

It packs nicely, without rubbing it out. At the first light I've understand that something nice will be going on my palate and tongue. It bites with the Perique's strongth while sweetening my tongue and my nose is nicely tickled. An extraordinary pleasure for my tastes.

It has a full taste of long lasting, dry and cool smoke. After the half of the bowl I catch the necessary strength for my needs and it makes a great finish which satisfies my all smoking needs.

This is a great pipe tobacco.

This one just works for me. I have not smoked many of PS blends so I thought I would give this a try and I will be back for more. I liked this from the light up and all the way down. It comes in pinwheel like disks and after drying overnight it was the perfect moisture content. The disks are rather attractive, light to medium colored brown cavendish cut on the outside and coming to a dark black cavendish core. I rolled it up and it broke apart as I did this but it loaded into my pipe quite easily. The pouch aroma is sweet and tangy with a subtle rich sweet smell from the dark core. Upon lighting, and it lit with only two lights, it emitted an very sweet smooth flavor, with a touch of creaminess from the black cavendish. It is very mild, no bite, and it is complex in that the flavors change as you smoke it down the bowl. I is mostly a sweet VA flavor with the perique in the background but not dominating. It never gets hot, it never gets boring. I have never had black cavendish mixed in with a VaPer before and was a little worried it would ruin the flavor but it does not, it adds to the experience. This blend smoked all the way down to a fine dark grey ash and left no dottle or moisture in my pipe. For what you get with this fine blend, the price is very reasonable and I know it will become part of my have to have blends. I highly recommend this blend for a cool great tasting smoke.

elelion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
elelion (25)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

It is not a blend that I would remember too much. I have ordered 100 grams and almost finished half of it. The cut looks nice however by folding it, the "bull's eye" in the middle of the disk does not break easily. By the first light it does taste sweaty but the hint goes out too easily. Maybe I shall give it more time by sipping a little slower. It burns into grey ash straight to the buttom of the bowl -- this suggests that it is a quality tobacco. But as long as I have other V blends available with me, I would not grab bullseye flake at my first choice.

Maybe given more time and more tries, I will be able to remember more of thie blend. But until then, 2 stars.

---updated on 13th Dec. 2011---

It has been years since my first reviews regarding this blend. I finished the rest of the 100 gram this year and ordered another 100 gram.

With good rubbing technique the "bull's eye" in the center of this flake will distribute evenly. My idea regarding a flake is not to rub it too thouroughly if you would like to enjoy the pleasure of a flake. This blend performs better and better through time, but it is still too young. The mildiness does not override its wildiness, very much like tasting a blended scotch whiskey.

Upgraded to 3 star.

luvinthepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
luvinthepipe (18)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This tobacco is my favorite standby. It never fails to give me that super yummy flavor that lingers in my mouth for a long time. The blend burns perfectly, has the right moisture level, burns cool, tastes great...everything I could ask for in a tobacco and inexpensive as well. Some people call this a poor mans version of Escudo. Escudo has cleaner appearance and is also a great tobacco, but I believe the unflavored black cavendish in this blend actually is a great addition that helps it burn cooler than Escudo burns. Straight up, Escudo or Bullseye flake? flip a flake over it, I'll take either one!

Update ** 4/29 I have 15 different blends/flakes/cakes/twists/rubbed/you name it shapes, styles etc open right now. Every night I light up a bowl of something other than this one to start out. Out of dissapointment, I pull out this old generic 6.5 inch vintage meerschaum (my fave) and rub out 2 flakes of this blend and WOW...every time I get that magical "Je ne sais quoi" that makes all of us smoke tobacco. I smoked escudo in the same pipe and didn't get the same WOW I got from the very next bowl of LBF. I have some very expensive tins of tobacco that fit the va/per cattegory (some have burley or cavendish) and none of them taste as good to me or smell as good in the room or outside smell note as this tobacco does. I bought a 24 oz box of this and think I will only spend my money on this from now on. This is everything I love in my pipe. Why should I look anywhere else? I feel the same way about my woman. PERFECT! But... then again...blends much like women...they are a matter of personal taste.

This is definitely one of the best offering in the "luxury" series of Peter Stokkebye, the tobacco disks are amazingly well crafted and the smoke is delicious, Virginia, Perique and Cavendish are presents and noticeable, the perique is carefully added so it will just refresh the palate.

This is a very good Virginia/perique indeed, it does not bite at all if it is smoked properly, the flavor is natural and delicious.

I am very pleased with this tobacco and I will be ordering some more, I would recommend it to anyone.

Bluenoser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluenoser (34)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This wonderful blend has such a delicate delightful taste it forces you to smoke slow and deliberate. Taking your time with this tobacco allows your taste buds the opportunity to absorb and truly appreciate all that it has to offer. The Virginia is tantalizingly alive, spring like, and refreshing. The perique adds to this blend that fig and raisin like taste without formal invitation. The creamy smoke builds effortlessly then meanders in and around both mouth and nose. No bite, no bitterness, just white soft creamy clouds inviting your senses always to enter and explore the world of Luxury Bullseye Flake. Superb

Feb 11, 2009 Addition Folks to make this tobacco shine even more try cooking a small sample(20 gms=12 discs) in a crockpot for 30 minutes in high. Remove the hot tobacco and place it in a tobacco jar with a clamped top and add 5%(1 gm) blending perique. Let the mixture cool completely before smoking. The hot dry discs will naturally absorbe juices from the added perique and the cooking seems to remove any hay/straw like tastes that some of you seem to experience. The final mixture will be dry and crumble in your hands but boy does it ever taste so very good.

Quick_nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Quick_nick (27)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The Virginias and Perique go together really well and the cavendish adds a little extra but I don't think it's really needed. A decent VaPer.

Tiepolo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tiepolo (40)

A very interesting VaPer. Never managed to pack the discs directly in a pipe, prefer to rub it out, which is done very easily after a short drying. The preique is quite understated in the first half, one thinks it's almost a straight VA. After that it makes itself known and the smoke picks up strength significantly towards the end. I won't give it 4 stars as I find the finish somewhat harsh, although I suspect it's my personal (high) rate of puffing. For those that can sip the smoke nicely till the end, its probably a 4 star VaPer.

IHT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
IHT (15)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I prefer Luxury Navy Flake and Luxury Twist Flake to Bullseye, but Bullseye is a very solid blend with its own qualities. It's a great introduction tobac for newer smokers, without being too strong in terms of nicotine or flavor. Preparation of the curlies is made simple as the coin falls apart, packs well and stays lit without much tending needed. Flavor is where this one drops a star from me, there seems to be a distinct "hay" or "straw-like" flavor that doesn't jive with my buds. While not totally putting me off of the blend, I would love it if that "hay" flavor was only in the background most of the time. This blend reminds me of Davidoff Flake Medallions, as I wouldn't be able to tell the difference in a blind taste test.

bbqncigars Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bbqncigars (7)

A wonderful VaPer that I enjoy best in a larger (form 4+) pipe. The virginia is nicely balanced by the background of the perique. The cavendish ghosts in the blend, just hinting of it's presence. I prefer it rubbed out and dried before smoking. I will not be without this blend (over 2# on hand and more on order).

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

There is no question that this is a lovely looking tobacco--a mottled swirl of golden yellow and brown around a dark chocolate core. It's downright pleasurable to prepare a pipefull of this stuff. But I have to disagree with most of the high ratings this has received. It's pretty, but it's got all the depth of a puddle.

Like the rest of the Stokkebye bulk offerings, this comes in at the right price--far less than familiar VaPer touchstones like Escudo, Solani 633, or St. James Woods. The idea, however, that this might function as a replacement for any of them, or even operate as a close-second-value-alternative, is crazy-talk (I say imperiously). The tobacco is just too youthful, too bland, too unexpressive. It's not a bad tobacco, of course, but I think it's wonderfully modest price has led to immodest praise.

I've been trying to figure out how to make the best of the generous quantity I ordered and I've found that a dash of more mature Virginia and a dash of Blending Perique can lift the mixture to the level of half-decent VaPer. And though this might satisfy my Scottish half, my baccy-loving half is still a little disppointed.

gnossos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gnossos (39)

My go-to blend. It's smooth, full, has nicotine. Brown VAs with some perique and UNFLAVORED cavendish. Don't read "cavendish" and write this off as an aromatic, it's not. It isn't Escudo. But it's a great VA/Per. Possibly the best next to Escudo.

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Luxury Bullseye Flake has replaced my former favorite Vapers when I'm looking for a traditional blend without a great deal of complexity.

Sweet, spicy and very flavorful all the way down to the bottom of the bowl without a trace of bite. This is one of the easiest flakes to pack which only adds to its attractiveness.

LBF is probably the best of the lot compared to everything else I've tried in a Vaper.

Smokes as good, if not better, than similar blends costing twice as much.

A must try for anyone who enjoys Virginia's or Vapers.

rstrawsb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rstrawsb (6)

Very good quality tobaccos. Pouch aroma is very mild and pleasant. It burns well not requiring relights. Has a slight sweetness and doesn't bite. The room note is sweet and the wives liked it as well.

endubito Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
endubito (13)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I do like this stuff. It rubs out easily, stays lit with a sufficient char and it delivers well enough. The perique is there but isn't quite strong enough for my taste and it finishes a wee bit on the sweet side, but still pleasantly. I know, I know. You're saying, "It's a VAper." But it doesn't quite make the bar for a really balanced mixture.

Don't get me wrong. It's good enough that I keep it cellared and it works very well for a car blend.

I keep it handy for an occasional smoke, but it has real value as a mixer to tease out recalcitrant virginias.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)

Dead Center Danish pressed tobacco. Will bite like hell if not handled properly...not enough Perique to put out that Virginia fire. The cavendish is there, but only intermittently. A semi-sweet rendition of a Danish style VaPer.

For me, not an everyday or all day smoke, but one I thoroughly enjoy when the stars and planets are in the correct alignment.

Laudante Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Laudante (29)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

The first time I smoked this, it was like a dream. It was with a 16 inch German tavern clay pipe, and I could´n believe how good a smoking experience I was having. Unparalleled, as the label says.

The second time, I filled a Dublin-shaped Stanwell, and the result was quite the opposite: complete bitterness and nothing more.

I repeated two times more with the churchwarden and the results were very good, but somehow never as good as the first time. I´ve tried different ways since then and my conclusion is that this tobacco is better in big bowls and somewhat loosely packed, preserving the pressed form, that is, folding it but not rubbing it out. I haven´t been able to detect the Cavendish center when it is reached by the ember, as some other reviewers say, but the Virginias and Perique are very good, and in one way or another, the Cavendish should give the mixture some of it´s goodness. It surely deserves a try.

Max1a Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Max1a (29)

This is an excellent tobacco. It is best if the medallions are simply folded into a large bowl. When rubbed out, these flakes take on a different character completely. Stokkebye make some of the best tobacco to be had anywhere from some of the best leaf available.

PfeifenRaucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PfeifenRaucher (53)

This blend is so well balanced - everything blends together harmoniously. I has become one of my favorite summertime tobaccos. Highly recommended if you are looking to try a new VAPER - it's downright delicious!

Past Master Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Past Master (17)

This is one of my favorites in the category. I tend to lean more towards Virginia/Perique blends during the summer months, and go back to Latakia blends at the first cold snap in the Fall. The Cavendish bullseye in L.B.F. gives this blend more complexity than many other V.P.s. I like this and am going to give it a 4-star rating.

I originally reviewed this in 2008, but as of November 2012, forty-one reviews have given this 4-stars, forty-two rate it 3-stars, and thirteen give it 2-stars. Only two give it a 2-star rating. So, its average rating is 3.24 stars, a fairly highly rated blend.

In looking over the past reviews, I noticed that one reviewer stated that he suspected that the Perique was "European Perique, as it is not noticeable in the air." I did not know there was such a thing as "European Perique." I thought it all came from St. James Parish in Louisiana. I'd like to know what "European Perique" is.

Of the reviewers who gave this blend a 1 or 2-star rating, some complain of tongue bite, one calling it "hot and rough," and another calling it "a bit harsh." I haven't found it to have these characteristics at all. Others seem to have little bad to say about it, but simply give it 2-stars while calling it "a good pick" and saying other nice things about it.

One disgruntled reviewer stated that it was "a duplicate of Bullseye Flake" and gave it 2-stars. Then (I guess when he realized that the two were one and the same) he revised his review and gave it 3-stars.

Average review to date: 3.24 stars.

Jeremy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jeremy (19)

This tobacco looks very appealing, but the experience of smoking it is outstanding. Be sure to rub it out a bit, not folding as with other flakes, otherwise it smokes hot and sweet. Once rubbed out it packs well, and is not as difficult to light as other flakes. It is a VA/Per, but doesn't smoke like it - the Cavendish mellows the Perique and cools the VA. This has become one of my favorite all-day blends. And my wife doesn't mind the room note, a nice bonus.

Packer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Packer (56)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

After many years of smoking local B&M bulk house blends I saw a canister of Peter Stokkebye products. The presentation was enough to enduce me to give them a go. I'm glad I did. They started me down the Virginia super hi-way. After trying over 30 Va. blends in the last four months, most them I like, or love, I owe the start of this great trip to LBF. The presentation is beautiful....nice coins with a dark center...duh, a bullseye. A little drying is needed for my taste. After rubbing out (to me this gives the best flavor/burn) this blend takes a match well. I find this to give me a natural semi sweet tobacco taste. A slow cadence is a must to hit "the zone". This blend seems a little "young" to me, but is good enough that I bought 3 pounds to cellar. If I had reviewed this before trying so many other Virginia blends I would have given it a 4 star rating. After such a sampleing I now rate it at a 2 to 3 star. I'll have to see how this blend matures. It may move up to 4 star. Time will tell.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Great, great looking roll cake with almost medium flavor, good nicotine effects, a delectible room note, but a little hard to keep lit and one to mind carefully to avoid a tongue torching. I think I like Luxury Navy Flake more, but there is a similarity to LBF. If the favor were a touch heavier, I think it would be easier to keep my mouth from pain.

Danes make tasty tobaccos troubling tongues of smokers unaware. Overall, I'll take PS over Mac Baren hands down.

shihan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
shihan (22)

Being my first try at a flake I was not sure what to expect. The flakes unusual look inspired me to take a chance. It rubbed out and packed easily. It required little attention to stay lit. It has a mild, relaxing taste and the room note was given the okay by the non-smokers I was with. A good first impression of the intimadating world of flakes

student Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
student (21)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I'm a fan of Stokkebye because of their outstanding Balkan Supreme. So, I decided to try this tobacco and Mike at Mars Cigars sent along 2 OZ for me. I've been smoking the tobacco a few days now and ,overall, find it a pleasant enough blend even though I don't like perique.The presentation is very nice, moisture in my sample right on and an easy rub out into the pipe. I use a smallish bowl pipe and one little circle of Bullseye fills it just right. Charring light provides a pretty strong taste which settles down somewhat after the second light. The toppings or casings , if there are any, seem to be so mild as to be overwhelmed by the tobaccos. It isn't, to me, a very complicated tobacco blend since both the VA leaf and perique are softened by the cavendish. You get a smokable item but as for enjoyment, there isn't much to be said. I think I'll buy a little more just to mason jar it up and leave for a couple of years. There are much better VA/PER/CAV blends out there.

Stacey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stacey (40)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

Maimonides hit the nail on the head with his review of this one. I can't detect the Perique, it just tastes like hay to me and the Va is not as sweet as some others. I wasn't aware there was Cavendish in here, but that probably didn't help this blend at all. If you want a watered down Virginia, this is your smoke.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (64)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

This tobacco leaves me with mixed emotions. It is so attractive and beautiful in its flake form. It packs easily and has a very nice, although extremely mild flavor of Virginia and Perique tobaccos, intermingled with that Danish honey casing. However, at the same time, it is rather bitey and can be a bit harsh at times, the flavor is really mild especially considering that the tongue bite will stop you from getting the flavor.

Overall, this is a decent product and may, with some aging, become much easier on the tongue and throat. Really this, for me, is right at 2 and a half stars but I will rate is as two, because it sister blend Luxury Twist Flake is a bit better. Also, while this is an okay blend a very comparable blend, MacBaren's Dark Twist, is without a doubt superior in every way. This blend is worth a try, but I recommend the two blends mentioned above before this one.

ajaj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ajaj (69)

Nice solid vaper here. The perique is a little mild for my liking but the overall smoke is pleasant and consistent from bowl to bowl. I am also not the greatest at folding flakes, so I fully rub the coins and load and go. Hints of tea, hay, and dried grass with an underlying mild sweetness. Recommended for a beginner to virginias although it can nip at the tonque if one is not careful.

aj

Maimonides Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maimonides (70)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

SWEET HAY,

This is an unusual 'Medallion' cut that looks like a Bulls eye in that lighter leaf is on the outer with dark in the middle. It is mostly Virginia, Black Cavendish, I am told it has Perique- but it isnt really noticeable. These little coins of tobacco remind me a lot of Orliks golden slices with a center or Orliks Dark Kentucky. Its a good blend, Mild-nutty, more substantial than Orlik Golden Slices- that have to be concentrated on. I hope it gains in popularity. A good pick.

BETTER PICK: MCCLELLAND CHRISTMAS CHEER 05' OR 06

Black Dog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Dog (25)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye is lovely to look at, round "coins" about the size of a silver dollar, with a center of unflavored black cavendish, and the outer layers of Virginias. Bullseye is mild and sweet. I do not detect any casings or toppings, except perhaps a light sweetener such as honeydew. Nor do I detect much if any perique, even though it is listed among the ingredients. The smell is terrific, sort of a molasses and hay smell. It is very reminiscent of MacBaren's Dark Twist. But, unlike Dark Twist, the Stokkebye Bullseye has very little bite at all. It does not seem to be a complex tobacco. It lacks the "depth" of Escudo. I would rate it similarly to Rattray's Old Gowrie, but perhaps a bit mellower. If you like VA's, but find most of them bite your tongue, then I recommend you try Stokkebye Bullseye. I should add that I have tried wadding up the coins, rubbing them out fully, and letting them dry for an hour and crumbing them up. Be forewarned that the final third of the bowl has a bit of a nicotene punch, so you might want to go gently.

mainspring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mainspring (27)

I was surprised that I like LBF as much as I do. It has a classic "Danish tobacco" taste. I like it more than other Stokkebye tobaccos. It does pack a bit of a nicotine punch but is nowhere near other blends such as GLP Haddo's Delight. It has lite natural sweetness all the way thru until the very bottom of the bowl and remained cool for me as long as I didn't puff hard and fast. It can scorch ya if you're not careful. Perhaps some aging will calm this down a bit.

It's a real treat to the eyes and rubs out easily if one prefers to do so. It smokes clean and dry with very little aftertaste and burns well. This is obviously a quality Virginia used here. The perique - well it's good but I seriously doubt it's genuine Louisiana perique. There just isn't enough of it grown any more and it's very difficult if not impossible to find some that isn't mixed with Kentucky Green River Burley. Most people won't taste the difference but for those that have had the real thing and know its flavor - the difference is there.

I am going to smoke more of this and might update it to 4 stars in the future. I would recommend it to anyone that likes other Stokkebye tobaccos such as Luxury Navy Flake.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (138)

This is a darker cousin to Luxury Navy Flake, except it has darker leaf and is sliced in large coins. Despite the cavendish it does not seem very sweet. I suspect this is European Perique, as it is not noticeable in the air. Still a good coin/flake. Not as sweet as Escudo nor as the sweet McBarens coins. A natural virginia, that has moderate trength and is relatively cool. For the straight virginia smoker who likes a bit darker flavor.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)

It looks as though the folks at Stokkebye have a hit on their hands. These coins provide one of the most flavorful smoking experiences that I've had the pleasure of enjoying. Whether you fold the coins or rub them out, the blend smokes cool and doesn't bite. It provides a naturally sweet smoke with the perique staying in the background and not becoming overwhelming. The combination is truly magnificent. In smoking this blend, I usually use three coins in a group 6 size bowl. The first two coins are gently folded while I rub out the third coin for the top. This method seems to work well with this particular flake.