Black, smooth, sweet, smokey and absolutely rich. This blend of Virginias and Kentucky leaf demonstrates the magic that occurs when flue-curing, stoving, fire-curing and Perique-style processing meet in a gloriously complex explosion of flavor.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsKentucky, Virginia
Strength
Taste

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I appreciate the previous reviewer's analogy to a chocolate stout very much! That's exactly the feeling I had. This blend looks like Lane's BCA in the tin. Dark, dark black and so finely cut that smoking it in a cob might require a screen! Glorious sweet fermented tin aroma with a background of chocolate and coffee.

The flavor is remarkably complex and interesting. It doesn't change much down the bowl until the last 1/3rd, where the light sweetness gives way a bit to a more heavy-bodied, fuller taste. I think the "explosion of flavor" in the description is a bit over the top but I do appreciate blends that smoke mild but are full flavored. This is 5100 Red Cake's dark-hearted brother. Where Red Cake is soft and sweet, RCE is deep and mellow, both being extremely enjoyable. Burns to a clean light-gray ash and needed few relights.

I'm not sure what this "new tobacco" thing is all about but I approve boisterously! This is an exciting product. Certainly the best stoved VA I've ever smoked and I am stocking my cellar with more of this, as well as sampling the other two blends in the line. This is something everyone should try at least once.

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (74)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Another wonderfully dark, smooth, chocolate stout of a blend using McClelland's great new cajun black. This variation explores the same territory as RCD, though RCE is a little sweeter, less spicy and peppery, and slightly more monochromatic than its sibling RCD, but it still has lots of wonderful subtlety. If you like one you'll like the other.

This is a very nice blend that's almost as good as RCD, but it's missing just that touch of magic to make this one as extraordinary as its sibling.

Updated 1/30/14- Corrected review, I had mistakenly switched reviews for the Dark and Ebony.

I like it ! Groundbreaking processing , the "Perique" style "pressure/stewing" processing of the Kentucky/Virginia leaf gives a whole new Tobacco. I am not a Burley lover, but this is special,... Buttery, sweet, without the normal Burley bite, smoother. Interesting through the whole bowl, I almost hate to see a bowl end.

The flavor is a cocoa/burnt marshmallows with maple syrup, but in a natural way, dark sweet burley without ever being bitter. I don't find this as mild as most of the earlier Reviewers indicate and I would not recommend this as the first pipe of the day, it is just too much of an explosion of "dark" flavors.

I find this improves with a little breathing and drying time. I think this would be a good choice for public smoking as it has a very pleasant aroma. It's got that Aromatic kind of scent , but not cloying and without a topped taste.

I have to give this 3 stars only because I'm not a burley smoker, but if you are, this is 4 stars .

Pipe Used: cob

Similar Blends: Butera's Royal Vintage Blended flake, and the McC Royal Cajun Dark.

Hollywood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hollywood (5)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

This is a very nice blend from McClelland's. The Kentucky leaf is in the background but it helps keep the blend interesting. This blend is very mild to me, but if you have a sensitive taste then this would be a great smoke. If you smoke it slow it is light and simple, but good. If you smoke it like a fright train then it gets spicy and it gets a latakia flavor coming out. No tongue bite at all. I can see how people may not just love this blend the first time, it is not a complex blend that will knock your socks off. But if you have time to just enjoy it for what it is you will find there is more to it than what you first thought. If you are looking for strong flavor or taste get another blend, you want a very well made simple and mild smoke look no further.

Kyrob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kyrob (21)

Opening this 5 year old tin of Royal Cajun Ebony revealed loose, coarse cut ribbons of tobaccos that were mostly rich black in color with a fleck of brown here and there. It was just slightly moist and the tin smelled of hickory smoked barbecue sauce and subtle spices. An unlit sip gave me a smoky taste that reminded me of Latakia.

My first few draws after lighting produced a light chocolate taste, but as the bowl progressed things got a bit livelier even though I never experienced a "complex explosion of flavor." At I progressed down the bowl the chocolate taste remained constant, but a spicy sweetness like cinnamon and a Latakia like smokiness became noticeable at various times. The room note was toasty and slightly sweet which seemed very pleasant to me.

I really like this tobacco, the strength is about right for me, and the tastes were pretty enjoyable, if unremarkable. I did not care for another tobacco in this line, the Royal Cajun Dark, as much as this one. Ebony was a little stronger and tastier to me, and I will most likely be buying more of this.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)

This was a very smooth smoke, I felt much smoother than what I could remember of the "Dark" version. It had a very interesting flavor, much different from other VA's I've had. I liked it, but I probably wouldn't buy another tin. Even though it's quite mild on the pallet, it has a scent very similar to Latakia IMO. Very interesting blend though not really one of my favorites. I look forward to trying the last of the three blends in the series.

A nicely prepared flake that I found a bit to moist from the tin and therefore let dry for several days. It was worth the wait since relights were greatly reduced. Easily packed, it smoked cool and dry without any bite. The fire curing and stoving is not the same as a tobacco that acutally contains perique but the resulting taste was both rich and sweet. Give it a try.

Marshall Law Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Marshall Law (50)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

McClelland cranks out another stunning hit. This is a rich, smooth, flavorful, velvety smoke that is well-balanced, and a treat to enjoy at length. Real tobacco that smokes up gentle and delicious, almost like a mild chocolate coffee aromatic of some sort, but with none of the downsides of a cased aromatic. Excellent sweet fermented raisinfruit aroma in the tin. Takes a bit to light well, but stays going and burns right down to a light ash easily. Definitely benefits from a week or so of sitting in the tin after opening, and keeps getting better. No tongue bite whatsoever and could not reasonably be provoked to do so when pushed. Albeit rich and pleasing, with great flavor, this is not a sweet dessert smoke. Not a bit of bitterness from beginning to end, either. This is a satisfying and tasty indulgence that is good anytime and anywhere, whenever the mood suits you for a rich chocolatey-smooth coffee type fix. Three and a half stars.

UPDATE: The more I enjoy this, the more I am enjoying it, if you know what I mean. Solidly in my rotation now and I've cellared a healthy stock. Detecting hints of a molasses quality and perhaps a light sweet oatmeal or cream stout character, especially in the pleasant aftersmoke flavor. Get some!

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

I found this to be a very unique blend, full on flavor while still mild on strength. A slight taste of turkish and oriental creeps in, slightly salty and rustic. Worth trying.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Tin: Made a clinking noise in the unopened tin. Coarse, chunky cut. Ebony or coal black. Standard McClelland sweet raisin aroma lacking the strong tone of RCS. Perhaps a tad sticky. Didn't feel overly moist.

This tobacco seemed to be two different tobaccos. One week after opening the tin, it changed, for the better. Airing out must have helped.

Burn: Took a little effort to get it lit and keep it that way, with puffing. Generally burned all the way down to ash. Consecutive bowls sometimes leave a significant dottle.

Taste: Initially, sweet fruit fragrance. Mid-bowl: Seemed to be an admixture of sorts, none strong enough to be single out, woodsy, chocolate, cloying, sometimes unnatural, or what. Bottom: Sometimes woodsy.

If puffed lightly, it does smoke cool, a menthol cool; zesty, if puffed hard. No tongue bite.

An odd thing happened halfway through the tin. Three bowls gave a strong sweet caramel, marshmellow, and cotton candy taste, maybe due to incomplete blending.

Perique: The only association to Perique is a light pepper feel when the smoke is directed straight onto the tongue.

Moisture: Significant gurgle persists, leaving a small bit of wetness in the heel.

Nicotine: essentially none

Overall: Liked somewhat; decent, in that it is mild. RCE would be easy to smoke all day.

cbd2 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cbd2 (10)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

With this blend, the processing is key. It's difficult, if not impossible, to tease out any particular Virginia or Kentucky tastes, and I'm simply not up for that kind of teasing.

The first opening of the tine gives you the (by now) familiar smell of a good, dark ketchup, with the second note being a smoking aroma - this is, no doubt, where the barbeque flavoring that some have noted comes in.

There's no barbeque taste when you light up, however. The taste is smoky and complex, very mild and velvety on the tongue. There's not too much moisture, it packs nicely for such a course cut, burns cleanly throughout the whole bowl, and leaves a very nice aftertaste.

I'll make this short and sweet - for a little something out of the ordinary and a nice velvet touch on the tongue this is a one-of-a-kind experience not to be missed.

cell biologist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cell biologist (21)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I wanted to open my first tin of this after it aged two years, but I couldn?t wait, and opened tin # 960206, which I think means that the tin is almost a year old. In my two years of pipe smoking, I have sampled almost all the different types of tobacco (virginia, burley, oriental, perique, cigar leaf, Nicotiana rustica, and Cyprian latakia - Syrian is still in the queue) to get a good feel for their characteristics and flavor before I tried this. Virginia is my home base, smoking that is; I live in Montana.

Cajun Black is different from all other tobaccos that I have tasted. It?s marvelous! Cajun Black quintessentially illustrates why right now is the pinnacle period of pipe smoking: The art of tobacco has evolved to its greatest height in history. With so many pipe tobaccos available on the worldwide market, one could ask, why invent a new kind of tobacco? Smoking this I see the answer: for the pleasure!

The tin smells slightly sweet, earthy, tangy, and slightly smokey. It is slightly moist in the tin, which is typical of most tobaccos. It burns as well as any tobacco I have smoked. The first light tastes like virginia tobacco plus a clean earthiness, sweet, complex, and very pleasing. I can go fairly quickly into the mouth-to-sinus back- feed mode, which I reserve for my favorite virginias, but usually not until the last third of the bowl. The tobacco smoke is richly flavorful, yet mild on the palate. And the flavor is unique. I?ve been experimenting with different blends, and making my own blends of blends, and this is something new altogether. It?s a flavor that tobacco should be, somehow; it?s like discovering a new place that feels immediately like home. It?s at home in all the pipes I have sampled it in, including a large briar with a tall, narrow bowl, a meerschaum, and several pipes with graphite bowls. The flavor is a combination of raisons, ponderosa pine, earthy smokiness (we all struggle for words here), and just good old tobacco.

Some reviewers comment on the level of nicotine. I get a nicotine buzz every time I smoke (I smoke every other day) and Cajun Black Ebony is no exception. Despite the large scale corruption of tobacco into a pleasureless vector for an addictive drug (cigarettes), pipe smoking can still be enjoyed for the pure pleasure of it. This tobacco is what pipe smoking is all about. Every time I smoke a bowl of this, I am disappointed when it?s finished. This is not because of a lack of nicotine (I am nicely floating on it), it?s because it tastes so good that I don?t want it to stop!

I seem to be going through this tobacco faster than any others in my drawer. It mixes very well with McClelland 5100. I can?t wait to try some of the other in this series, which other reviewers say are a little smokier in flavor. The tins beckon me from the dark closet...

This blend did exibit something special. It is a multi-dimensional smoke, somewhat milder and different from most blends containing standard perique. It contains the newest blending component, which would make me want to purchase it. It packs easy, smokes cool and leaves a bit of dottle in the heel of the pipe. Worth trying and certainly a premium tobacco.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (64)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

This is the sweetest of the cajun black series, but it still retains a bit of spiciness and a nice complexity. This blend is very dark, but it lights well and smokes cool and dry. I found this tobacco supplied a nice flavor of raisins with just a hint of cinnamon and pepper. I didn't like it quite as much as the Dark blend in the same series, but I did find it to be very enjoyable. Much like the other two, this blend was also smooth on the palate. I would recommend this one for those looking to try the series who don't like their tobacco to be very spicy. If you do, the Dark blend is for you.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)
Medium Mild Very Full Tolerable to Strong

This tobacco is definitely dark, I would say black with occasional shades of dark brown. It really smells smokey upon opening, with sweetness at the same time, but the smokey is predominant. I like the smell of it, it's different, quite unique, can't compare it to Latakia at all. The tobacco itself is not very long, it kind of reminds me of Dark Fragrant, but flattended, if anybody can visualize that. The tobacco is really a small cut, but it makes sense like this because otherwise it would be too hard and long to smoke.

I believe this tobacco should be smoked in a small bowl, so I chose one of my Danish Sovereign and my Chacom Atlante. Don't pack it too tight because 3 weeks after opening, it still has a good rate of dampness, but not overwheming. It is a bit hard to light up but remains rather steady if you dedicate yourself to the smoking. I don't think anybody would want to smoke this tobacco outside, it might prove a tongue killer if it's just a bit windy.

As you keep smoking, it becomes stronger, the smokey side kicks in a bit more than the sweetness, which remain noticeable but discreet, in order to balance the smokey part. The bowl is dry after I'm finished.

I like this tobacco, it's different, rich but not overwhelming and it smokes surprisingly well when smoked with attention. I will not consider it a daily smoke, but a couple times a week is perfect for me.

Meerschaum Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaum Man (85)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

This rich & pleasingly complex blend creates an immediate appreciation for skillfull blending and excellent curing of components. Flue-curing and stoving of the Virginia and Burley have been accomplished without the usual excessive oils that leaves one needing to wash hands after handeling. Again the Cajun Black brings a sweet, smooth and smoky presence to the blend that would not otherwise be found. Earthy and primal, this blend is not to be missed by pipesters desiring an interwoven experience of both towering influence and counter points of resonance attesting blending skills not easily earned.

Meerschaum Man Smoking a CAO Dunhill Man Pasha

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

IMHO this is McClelland's finest Virginia flake offering. A very heady and complex mixture for the experienced piper. It comes completely rubbed out,which makes for very easy packing and lighting.The flavor is equally sweet and sour. I enjoyed it greatly. I feel the best description of the tobacco and the experience would be the following: A much fuller,richer,and SWEETER STONEHAVEN. That pretty much says it all. I actually enjoyed this more than Stonehaven (Even though there is Perique present)3.5 of 4 stars.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Unnoticeable

The gentleman who runs McClelland together with his wife (I forget their names), handed me 3 tins of these newest McC creations at the 2006 Chicago Pipe Show. I was trying so many different things at the show, I did not want to further confuse my palate. I simply took the tins, thanked him and waited for the right moment to open. The dithyrambic description on both tin and the round card under the lid would you have you believe that this is one of the most unique, extra special creations to hit tobaccodom, and let me tell you, they're not kidding. This is not mere marketing bravado, as is the case with so many other things I've tried. This really is a great blend of excellent Virginia sweetness and just the right touches of sour and salt to taste, probably eminating from the perique. Taste is everything here, with tin aroma being much more pronounced and McClellandy than the room note. Aroma dissipates quickly. There is great complexity on the tongue and nothing to interfere with the interplay of delicious flavors. This is a conoisseur's blend for the most discriminating and purist of smokers. A friend of mine who is not a great fan of McC even admits that this is one of the finest things he's ever tried. I am eager to pop the lids off the other two Royal Cajuns, but will hold off, allowing those to age for awhile longer. Besides, I picked up so many other things at the show I'm still working through. Congrats to McC for debuting something really grand and different and for not skimping on quality. Now, please don't change the blend!

Five of five stars

porshcigar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
porshcigar (27)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

McClelland gave away samples of all 3 Royal Cajun blends at the 2006 Chicago Pipe Show. Ebony is the first that I have smoked. I find this to be a very desireable blend. It lights easily, burns well, and does not get overly hot or wet. It smokes well in all sizes of pipes. I am smoking it now in a very small bowl (for me) and there is no sign of over-heating. This is a blend that can be smoked at any time of day, and indeed all day. The taste is good, but not overpowering. I will buy more of this blend, and store some to see how it ages.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)

It wa ok, but certainly not the "explosion of flavours" advertised...

And kind of hard to keep lit...