Full bodied blend of finest Oriental leaves, dark fired Kentucky, Louisiana perique, and 40% of Syrian latakia.

BrandBrebbia

3.4
Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (187)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

First, let me say that the inner paper disc tells me that Balkan by Brebbia is, alongwith Latakia Flake no. 9, produced by DTM instead of Planta. So we are talking of German products for both the lines, under the trademark of Brebbia.

Balkan is a beautifully contrasted EM very similar to BBBB - also by DTM - and shares quite the same components. Seems to me that Balkan is just a bit milder and rounder. The body is medium/full. It's meant to contain 40% Latakia, which I believe, while the presence of Kentucky and Perique is about minimal, just to help the other component in adding strenght and body to an otherwise mild/medium EM.

I taste a masculine but round just enough - non agressive - smoke, and can understand it's described as Balkan (which actually isn't) just because this blend is aimed to obtain the overall effect of say a Sobranie 759, just with different ingredients.

Balkan smokes absolutely dry and cool to the very end. It comes quite wet in the tin, so my test is from a year opened tin.

Overall, Balkan, BBBB and Midnight Ride are the only EM available in Italy which I found to recall the "effects" of the great products of the past.

That's why I'm rating this **

Bluesmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluesmoke (75)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

Ahhh Brebbia. This is a fine example of a Balkan hybrid, yet regardless of how I name it, it's darn good. The overriding flavor profile is Latakia and if you are in the mood for a stout (Kentucky-Latakia) rush, you have found a good one. The smoke is some of the most dense I have encountered and the perique sits in the background so to let the stronger tobaccos shine through. I love the simple green label and the tin is almost twice the size as a normal one though with no increase in tobacco. This can be sipped or engulfed and there was little difference with regard to tongue bite, this burns oh so cool. When I want latakia, and latakia with some muscular players standing along side, this would be the blend I go to. Its devoid of VAs and has a more brine like presentation, mixed with the sour (Orientals) I'm reminded of a strong cup of salted beef broth with a teaspoon of sour cream. I would give this higher marks, but 3 is pretty respectable considering I like a little sweet with my sour. Bowl size selection is imperative with this blend. A small bowl and its tamed to a wonderful growl, a larger bowl and Brebbia Balkan roars! All in all a fantastic blend and one not to be missed. TYLJFMB

Pipe Used: Stanwell Apple

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars

This blend is forty percent latakia, and as you would expect, is the star component; very smokey and woody. I’m not sure I believe all of the latakia is Syrian, because there’s a little sweetness and smoothness that I associate with Cyprian present. The dark fired Kentucky adds some smokey woodiness, with a little less spice than I expected. The perique offers some spice, raisin, and plum notes in virtually every puff. The Orientals are smokey woody, slightly floral, with a mild sourness. Has a rich, smooth taste that never weakens or gets harsh, though the blend isn’t as complex as my description may lead you to believe, for which I deduct half a star. The perique, Kentucky and Orientals are basically all supporting players, though you will notice them in every puff to various degrees. They don’t mention Virginia as an ingredient, but I sense its presence at times. Has a mild to medium nic-hit. Won't bite or get harsh. Burns at a moderate pace with just a few relights and little moisture in the bowl. Has a pleasant after taste, and leaves a campfire-like room note. Not an all day smoke. Three and a half stars.

There's a lot going on here and it's all good. Sweet and sour, smoky and woody, spicy and earthy, buttery and leathery. It's all in here. This is a wonderful blend with the various flavors tugging the taste buds in all different directions. Complex, medium bodied with med-full flavors. I'll have to stock up on this one. It pushes all the right buttons for me.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

I think Balkan Mixture #10 will be leaving us soon since Syrian Latakia is no longer available and this blend requires a heaping helping of the stuff. Smoky and somewhat sweet with a lot of strength thanks to the Kentucky. The Perique was barely noticeable. My tin was old and the tobacco was quite ripe and I enjoyed smoking a few bowls over a few days, but really was not enamored enough with this blend to do anything other than take it to a monthly pipe club meeting where I placed it on our tobacco bar.

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)

Tin aroma is amazing, strong and soft at the same. Incredible balance between the tasty and complex Oriental tobaccos and the large percentage of Latakia. The Latakia is softened by the Perique, and the Oriental leaves. In the tin the Latakia has the soft smoky aroma you expect. But it's somehow smoother here, scent reminds my of new leather. Orientals are similarly softened but their delicious flavors are a big presence in the tin aroma. Dried apples, dark chocolate, rubber, campfire, are just a few of the scents I found in the aroma of this tobacco.

Smokes fairly cool and very tasty. Sorry to some of the previous reviewers but IMHO this is a good example of the Balkan style. In a true Balkan blend, the Orientals and the Latakia balance, neither one overpowers the other. This is evident in Brebbia's version - in the aroma or in the smoking. I like this stuff, I'm ordering more right now. Moderate tendency to bite perhaps because of the dryness of the tobacco in the tin I got, maybe just the Virginia, will update when I try the next tin.

This was always the distinction between the styles as I understood it.

Oriental Tobacco Blends (a.k.a. “English Blends”)

English Blends - Latakia is the dominant flavor and scent of the blend. Orientals take a back seat to the Latakia here. Balkan Blends - Latakia is balanced and matched by the Orientals. Neither overshadows the other.

Oriental Blends - Orientals are the dominant flavors and scent of the blend. Latakia, if used at all, takes a back seat to the Orientals. (These blends aren't as popular as the English or Balkan styles, but they were in the past.)

{See G.L. Pease's FAQ on his site; and Mr. Pease's, Jason Newquist's and others' comments on alt.smokers.pipes (USENET newsgroup)}

UPDATE: Two more tins later - consistent quality. Tongue bite seemed much less, I have to bump it up to 4 Stars. Putting it on the favorites list.

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (170)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

This is an unusual Balkan blend. I mean that it has a particular taste, different from the others Balkan mixtures you can find in the market. First of all the base is not Virginia but Kentucky and for this reason you have a full-bodied blend but not sweet. There isn’t any Virginia in it. Second, the taste is mainly a full smoked taste, thanks to the high amount of Latakia (an incredible 40%) and thanks to the fire-cured Kentucky. Last but not least the spicy Perique. All of it very well-balanced with finest oriental leaves. In my personal opinion this is a very good Balkan mixture, with a great personality. If you like English mixture, hardy but not sweet you have to try it. In my personal rating (from 1 to 10) my score is 8 and three stars.

King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (114)
Very Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

I didn't know what to expect from this blend when I opened it, as I have little experience with Brebbia tobaccos. So I pop it open and - whew! - this is a strong and stout mixture. However, after a little airing-out it seemed more normal to me. An examination tells me that the forty percent latakia boast might be a little over the top, but it is there solidly. My tin was smokeable right away, contrary to other reviewers stating that it was wet in the tin. I have a hard time differentiating Balkan blends from otherwise English blends, but feel that Balkan blends are less sweet and smoke "dry" compared to standard English blends. I like them both.

My first feeling, prior to lighting-up, was that this would wind up being a three star blend in our rating system. I just didn't think it had the "stuff" to be a four star blend. After smoking it and using it in English microblending I realized that I was wrong and that equates to four stars.

Pipe Used: Ashton saddle bit dublin

Age When Smoked: 1 yr old

Purchased From: internet seller

Similar Blends: Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend.

JustOneforMe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustOneforMe (28)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Objective: Classic circular tin, non obtrusive green label with name of blend and maker noted prominently. Came my way as a gift from a friend. Moisture content was somewhat wet, but dried well in 30 minutes to fill a bowl. Price was reasonable after checking online, approx. $12 bucks a tin. Packed well, lit well, great volume of cool smoke, lovely.

Subjective: Tin aroma was musty and slightly smokey. Creamy smoke with a nutty aroma. Taste on the tongue is stout, but leaves a clean feeling. Cannot detect the perique as a major contributor until mid bowl and then look out!! The Orientals are the star, however. Excellent blend.

point9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
point9 (114)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I was not expect much before opening this tin. Thanks to tobaccoreviews.com I got a chance to know this wonderful Balkan blend. This is a savoy full Balkan blend that really surprises me with big flavor without excessive sweetness in it. I think this will please seasoned balkan smokers instead of newbies.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This review has two sections:

INITIAL IMPRESSION, TIN OPEN TWO DAYS: I'm so confused, one bowl I love the blend and the next , I want to throw it out !!! Here is what I'm sure of, if you inhale, get ready , this will cause a collapsed lung ! and do you have those annoying nose hairs, snoke this and it will remove them, but the flavor is so good, I can't stop loading up bowls !

As the name say's, it's a Balkan, with only a touch of sweetness ( I would like more), it has the Orientals out-front with ample Latakia ( probably mostly Cyprian ??? ) but only a touch of "SYRIAN" Latakia ( I would like more). I think the "power " comes from the Kentucky that never comes forward in the taste, only in the strength . When I smoke this, I fill the bowl and make a strong cup of coffee to go with it, I need something to tame this smoke as initially it was harsh (see after 2 months).

TWO MONTHS LATER- What a change, giving this some time to breath, this blend has smoothed out. Nice flavor and creamy Orientals, great on relights. This blend is bold on flavor with a high quantity of Smyrna leaf ( I believe) that predominates. The Syrian, what there is of it ( 40% really !!!!), does give a slight woodsy floral note. I know this blend states that it has "Syrian" Latakia.... well I'm skeptical on the quantity since the Syrian embargo .This is more flavorful that GLP's Charing Cross, and I do find it similar but more powerful.

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: 2 days/ 2months

Similar Blends: GLP's Charing Cross.

Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

I must admit that I was quite surprised with the quality of this Balkan Mixture. I have tried other Brebbia offerings and found them mediocre at best, but this is an outstanding tobacco. You can taste every component: a good amount of Perique, tasty Kentucky, rich Virginias and Orientals and of course, Syrian Latakia, but all those singularities meld into a full body tobacco that can please me at mornings or evenings just as well.

I was hesitant as to give it 3 or 4 stars, considering that it's no match to Odyssey, Charing Cross, Balkan Sobranie and a few others godly mixtures, but this is excellent in its own right.

jvnshr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jvnshr (23)

Smoking Brebbia Balkan is like sitting in the middle of a forest fire and smelling the rich woodsy smoke. Recommended to Balkan and Latakia bomb lovers.

Rob73 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rob73 (77)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

A very interesting tobacco: a Balkan without Virginia but, in its place, a smoked Kentucky, combined with an excellent 40% Latakia plus Oriental and Perique. A serious, straightforward blend, full in taste - but not extremely strong - and satisfying. 4,0/5 in my personal rating system.

Purchased From: Tabaccheria Gruppuso, Milano (Italy)

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (99)

Brebbia Balkan has been in my cellar for two years, but when I first started this journey it was on my wishlist, in part due to the 40% Syrian Latakia. I love Balkans, I adore Legends - which for me is the standard by which I set my palate. Brebbia Balkan comes in a 50 gram tin that mimics a tin that could hold twice that amount. Tin note is rich latakia, figgy and burley focused. Good ribbon cut, no stems nor woody pieces. Burned well - burned hot. I spent the majority of this blends focus on trying to control the bite. A burley bite.

Virginias hit me fairly early when I smoke, as I tend to chug along - due in part to poor discipline on my part. Burley bite seems to me to come along later in a bowl's development, and it hits me on the tip of the tongue...hard. Despite my best attempts to curtail this, including the suggestion of using a charcoal filter in my 9mm Savenelli.

It is a hybrid, misleading IMO as it deters from the concept.

Can recommend as long as you realize its a Lat forward, near equalizing Burley English.

Pipe Used: Meers and Briars

Cappadoc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cappadoc (9)

A very unique and delicious variation on Balkans. the Oriental presence is there along with Syrian Latakia and a very hard to describe tin note. Very creamy mouthfeel. The DFK plays a wonderful accompaniment to the Latakia. Both give a very smoky taste, but in totally different ways. Just an absolutely stellar smoke.

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (180)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant

A short ribbon cut of many colours from blonde to black. This comes in a tin that is twice the height but the same diameter as most 50g tins, making this a relatively loose packed tobacco that is on the dry side.

The tin note is extraordinary. Beneath the terpene of the latakia is a profound sweetness on the nose.

This is a one light tobacco that burns to the proverbial white ash. It is sweet, sour and salty all at the same time. It produces ample pillows of smoke.

For a balkan blend the perique is particularly in evidence and there must be a fair whack of it in the blend. It gives a lovely peppery character to the smoke.

A good smoke for anytime of day.

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (60)

Came very dry in the tin. Nutty, smoky overtones and full tobacco flavor. A bit harsh, but no bite.

Whenever I do a review, there is sometimes a conflict with my personal feeling about the blend verses how the public at large may respond. Balkan, for me as a medium English smoker, is a two star blend, but I can easily see it being a four star blend for those that enjoy a heavy dose of Latakia. Balkan packs well and is made of quality tobacco's. The heavy dose of Syrian adds an interesting dimension. My issue is that it is so dominate that the other tobacco's seem to get lost in the blend resulting in a lack of balance that I am looking for in a blend. For those that like a heavy dose of Latikia, I find Balkan to be a much overlooked blend, it just doesn't fit in my rotation.

One of the two new Brebbia productions for the European market (the other being Latakia Flake nr.9). These two blends are manufactured in Germany, and you can see a great similarity with two CAO tobaccos (Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend and Old Ironsides).

The first thing that comes to mind with the blend is that it isn't a Balkan at all, despite its name. The kentucky burley presence is evident both at sight as in taste. The cut is a medium ribbon. Packing and lighting are easy and you won't need to relight to the end of the bowl.

If you're looking for a smooth blend look somewhere else: here the taste is rough, with all the flavours separated. Only the Perique is definitely in the background. The Syrian latakia declared percentage is pretty optimistic in my opinion, but it's very tasteful, while the kentucky gives a nice earthy tone. The flavour is "heavy" and will keep consistent throughout the bowl.

Recommended as an after lunch (or dinner) to smokers who don't put delicacy on the top of their desires.