We start with naturally sweet red Virginias and add just the right touch of everyone's favorite Cajun spice, Louisiana Perique. Then we press it into an old fashioned crumble cake which deepens and marries the flavors into what is quickly becoming one of C&D's most popular blends ever!

Blended ByBob Runowski & Craig Tarler
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsCavendish, Perique, Virginia
CutKrumble Kake
Packaging2oz Tin, 8oz Tin
Where to Buy BnB Tobacco
4noggins.com
Strength
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full

3.2
Bluenoser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluenoser (34)

Smoked this in droves about four years ago. Ordered it by the pound straight from C&D. A fresh tin yields a black and red crumble cake. It smells of earth and peat and tastes like a fine hand made cigar, earthy, slightly sweet, and red wine like . For whatever reason I moved on to other blends and packed away two tinned one pounders of KK about two years ago. The other day while rearranging my pipes and tobacco jars on my table in the basement, something I do now and again, usually following my wife's quarterly rearrangement of the living room furniture, I decided to crack open one of the two year old pounders of KK and drop it in a mason jar. OH---MY---GOD!! WAVES OF FINE AGED VIRGINIA AROMA HIT ME LIKE A TON OF BRICKS. LOOKING IN THE TIN I FOUND JET BLACK CHUNKS OF TOBACCO SO BLACK IN FACT YOU CAN SEE SHADES OF A SHINY BLUE TINGE LIKE ON THE BACK OF A BLACK PANTHER. NATURALLY I REACHED FOR ONE OF MY TRUSTY BRIARS AND A POCKET KNIFE. STARTED TO CUT AWAY A PORTION OF THE KAKE TO FIND IT NO LONGER CRUMBLES OFF THE BLOCK, IT ACTUALLY SLICES OFF JUST LIKE A PLUG. RUBBED OUT THE PORTION AND LOADED UP THE PIPE. FELLOW PIPE SMOKERS THIS TOBACCO HAS AGED INTO ONE OF THE BEST SMOKES I HAVE EVER HAD. PURE AGED OLD TIME VIRGINIA/PERIQUED. THE VIRGINIA IS DEEP, VELVETY, CREAMY, NATURALLY SWEET. THE PERIQUE JOINS ITs' SOUL MATE AND ADDS THAT REMARKABLE FRUITY PUNGENT PRESENCE TO THE BLEND. PLEASE, AGE SOME FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS AND ENJOY THE MAGIC....TRULEY REMARKABLE!!!!

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)

Cards on the table to start. I believe this must be one of the finest Virginia Perique blends the world has ever known. I recommend you buy some.

This is my first Krumble Kake tobacco. I really like this cut. It has all the charm of a plug, without the hassle. You just pinch a bit of the soft block, tear it off and rub it between you fingers to turn it into a rough ribbon, which packs, lights and stays lit without effort.

The taste is an interplay between sweet and spicy, with notes of soil and over ripe fruit. It is quite delicious. The overall strength is on the milder side of Medium but the taste is in the stronger end of the Medium range, which makes it satisfying without wearing you out or becoming overbearing.

I also like the C&D tins. The artwork is fun and these American style tins with the plastic cap seem keep the tobacco moist for much longer, once opened, than the European round/square/rectangular tins.

Mine came as a single "brick" or "brownie" of tobacco - I guess the two fused together. At any rate, this is an excellent tasting and burning krumble kake that I ended up fully rubbing out in the tin. The brick was so hard that it was difficult to break off pieces so I just did it all at once to get it over with.

I think Target's review below is better than anything I could write, and I agree with his findings about the excellent flavor of this blend. I found it a bit too strong and nicotine-laden to smoke in my usual magnum sized pipes so I dedicated a smaller (Group 5 size) pipe and it worked much better for me. But dang, this is great tobacco! Tasty from beginning to end. I finished the tin in record time, which I view as a testament to the blend. I loved that a light and pleasant perique flavor was in each puff rather than popping up from time to time. This is a spicy, ballsy, meaty tobacco that has a sweet side to it. It should be on every Vaper lovers short list. It took me awhile to figure it out but it has definitely won me over.

Target9000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Target9000 (1)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

I've been smoking this blend for about a year now and have gone through about 2 lbs of it. I always smoke it in the same two pipes and rotate them regularly. I can get away with 2 pipes because it smokes pretty dry. I only buy the tinned version, not even sure if there is a bulk version. As a side note, I find that the tinned/bulk versions from C&D have a huge quality differential I find unacceptable so I always go for the tinned versions.

Opening the tin you'll find a "brick" of tobacco. Some say it looks like a brownie. To smoke it you'll need to pinch off pieces of it and rub them out. Once rubbed out it is becomes chopped little pieces of tobacco. Right out of the can I've found it to come pretty moist. I usually rub and then let dry for an hour before smoking. Sometimes I find rubbing the tobacco out a big chore, other times I adore doing it. Either way it irritates my hands. I usually use the 3-pack method of packing my pipe with it. Others I've seen have advocated breaking off larger chunks and lighting them but this has never worked for me. A three layer packing with tamping throughout the smoke and a good even light to start have been wonderful.

When initially opening the tin you'll be greeted by a sweet smelling tobacco. It smells almost of berries. It has earthy undertones and spice to it.

Lighting up you find a warm and strong flavor. It is sweetness and earth up front. Very strong tobacco component coming through. Almost smokes like a powerful cigar. The sweetness is pronounced mid puff and on the aftertaste. The finish is not harsh, but it is also not smooth. It is in between. Neither silk, nor burlap, perhaps a denim. Throughout my smoking experiences with this blend I've found that it smokes dry in the bowl however its sweetness lend to not feeling dry in the mouth, rather, it makes my mouth water. I have also noted that I have never had tongue-bite with this blend even when puffing away madly at it. A cool smoke if handled correctly.

The room note is that of wet burning hay. It is strong and others around me don't appreciate it. I try not to smoke this when others are around.

I smoke a lot. I can deal with a lot of nicotine. This stuff brings the thunder if you puff it too quickly. I like to smoke this after meals or when I'm having something with sugar in it like a glass of iced tea.

I give this tobacco 4 stars. It is my go to tobacco. Sweet, earthy, and strong. I like a hearty smoke and this one never fails to disappoint me despite its few draw backs.

I'd recommend this tobacco to anyone looking for a strong tobacco or the pipe smoker chasing the elusive "cigar" experience while smoking a pipe.

I'd recommend people that smoke for the room note or that prefer light and smooth tobaccos to stay away from this. It is a brute.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

The red Virginias are tangy sweet with some earthiness and a bare hint of grass. The cavendish offers a barely detectable honey note. Perique is the basic star here, offering plenty of spice, and just a little dried fig/fruit flavor. Burns well, cool, and even with no dottle. This is made for the experienced smoker who wants a nice blast of perique and nicotine. A strong, tasty marriage of components that work well together, though it's not all day day smoke, and you probably won't want to smoke it on an empty stomach, or in a big bowl. It may not be a four star mixture for smokers who can't handle the spice content, but if you can, you might not argue such a high rating. The eye is really in the beholder of this blend.

SteveH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SteveH (28)

I'm smoking my first-ever bowlful of this as I type, in a meer. It is described on the tin as "red Virginia cavendish and a little Perique". First impressions: In the tin, it's a loose cake, dark brown, and smelling of molasses. It crumbles easily for packing in the pipe. It is medium strength, pleasantly sweet, with the perique tang coming through more as the smoke progresses (which is what I find with all periques). The other characteristic of perique is a fruity flavour, and that develops as well, and by the time you're half-way through the bowl, it's a veritable fruit salad of a smoke, with a smidgen of lemon providing the tang. Delicious. Being a mixture of Cavendish and Perique, I suppose one could call it a "Caper". Having now read Bluenoser's review, I will buy some more tins, for ageing.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

Purchased From: 4Noggins

TnRooster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TnRooster (15)

This has got to be C&D's finest tobacco, hell, anyone's tobacco period! When you open the tin, one of the most beautiful crumble cakes ever pressed is sitting there, tempting you to almost eat it! It really does look and smell that good! The smell is an incredible earthy, cocoa, or dark chocolate aroma. It pinches of great and rubs out easily. I consider myself an experienced smoker, preferring the darkest and fullest flavor cigars. The perique will definitely grab you by the shirt collar and introduce itself when you first light up so be warned! The peppery start smoothes out and leaves you with an awesome, earthy and cocoa smoke for the rest of the bowl with an occasional tickle of spice from the perique. Once the bowl is empy, my tastebuds are quickly fiending for another bowl. Started off with a 2oz tin and quickly horded a ton of the bulk tins. It's simply awesome, a must have in anyone's rotation!

update: C&D has officially ruined other pipe tobaccos for me. There will be no others. Kajun Kake is my one and only, my love, my precious...

Pipe Used: MM Freehand

LivingFreeinTN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LivingFreeinTN (8)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

C&D has always attracted me to them through their tin art. Being fairly new to pipes(25+ year cigarette vet) Kajun sounded like an interesting blend. The tin art is always cool and opening the tin exposed a beautiful cake that smelled like an earthy dark chocolate to me. It pinched off easily and rubbed out perfectly for me, no drying time needed. T the first light produced tons of smoke and the tin notes were faintly present in the smoke. I enjoyed it up to the point the Perique kicked in. Like I said, I'm new to pipes. The pepper of the Perique gave me fits as I strangled at the spiciness while trying to maintain my composure and not look completely uncool. It wasn't long before it settled down from the spiciness and back to the earthy cocoa qualities I had previously enjoyed. With a little more experience, Kajun Kake may be great but for now it's just okay. A more seasoned pipe smoker would probably enjoy this a lot so I won't say it's bad until I get further into the hobby and can form a more knowledgeable opinion of it.

UPDATE: C&D should rename this Kajun Krack. I can't get off of it.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gent

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

SmokeDawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeDawg (59)

Finally got my hands on a tin of the famous Kajun Kake. Ordered it online and the next day found myself popping the top. First crumble cake blend. It was a nice tight blended block of dark aged delicious smelling bacca. Underneath the still formed cake were several bowls of loose tobacco so I loaded my best smoker, a hand made Luciano Dublin bowl with some of the loose leaf.

Red cake Va and Perique what's not to love? Smooth at first but at middle ways the Perique took over and the pepper kick started to overtake the bowl. It got stronger, and stronger, and stronger. Strongest Perique blend I've smoked to date. It got so strong I thought I just ate a pepper. My nose started to run. No joke. With the Red Va and Perique you can expect a strong nick punch which it has and will send you whistling down the Bayou. I really like this blend, it lives up to the billing. Should be a VaPer's smokers dream. Add to the fact it will only get better with age… if it last that long. Highly Recommended! Im giving it 3 and three qtr stars and a snot bubble.

Pipe Used: Luciano Dublin

Age When Smoked: Feb 2014

Purchased From: Jr Cigars.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (132)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My first C&D tobacco. Opening the tin was a great pleasure, the discovery of the cake was delayed by the three paper discs. Since this was my first tobacco with this cut, I felt like a kid in a candy store. Of course, smelling this brownie continued the illusion for a few more seconds.

The red Virginia Cavendish imparts a fruity and tart smell that makes you wanna eat it for desert. The strength is a bit more than medium, making it ideal for an after meal smoke.

The moisture is perfect from the start and it lights without a fuss. I get a bread like toasted flavor, a slight fruit sweetness with some spicy finish. Each draw gives you a creamy, velvety, full bodied smoke that is also dry, a sign that these tobaccos are of very good quality, balanced and uncased.

hagen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hagen (91)

interesting!

my first crumble cake, and my first american-manufactured tobacco. i don't know how representative it is. it somehow reminds me a bit of the dan pipe blends, but there's also something reminiscent of "maduro" from mcconnell when it was blended in england.

the tin aroma is deep and fermented, stoved, winey, with a whiff of the caramelized and berryish flavours you get from a typical british virginia.

crumling... i'm not sure i like this aspect. it's easy enough to get the right amount into your pipe, but a lot will just crumle back into the tin slowly leaving you with a loose tobacco that will dry out too fast, imo.

lights easily, and burns well. very nice, but very subdued, too. i detect no flavouring or casing at all. there's a little virginia sweetness, and the perique in combination with the virginia adds up to an almost cigarish and very earthy flavour, without the dryness of the typical cigar. again, i associate to some of the ancient british cavendihed blends. relights are fine, with no harshness at all, and i can't imagine anyone being nipped by this blend.

i do appreciate the pureness and discreet taste of kajun kake, but... there is imo a little too little power in it, taste wise (you really have to search for the taste), and that, in combination with the crumble cake form, keeps it from getting 4 stars.

i'm not sure there's any idea in trying to age it, as it's so deeply stoved.

captnmojo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
captnmojo (10)

First of all this is my first Virginia blend and I have to say WOW! The Virginia tobacco is such a great burner and is so sweet. But more on this blend... The red cavendish Virginias add great sweetness and help the combustion, while the Louisiana perique add a great earthy, dried fruit note which is amazing. All in all my first true VaPer and am looking forward to more blends like this.

Update** So just finished my first bowl of a Virginia blend about a half hour from the review you see above and I have to say I'm a big fan of this blend type. I do love my English blends but I now have realized the potential of a VA blend this one was sweet, earthy and see myself smoking more VA blends especially ones like Kajun Kake. One thing I loved was how easy it was to keep lit. Can't wait to try more Virginia blend weather they are blended with Perique, burley or whatever... What great nuances a good quality Virginia tobacco brings to smoking a pipe tobacco period!!

2nd update. One recommendation to C&D is that I wish the cut size before pressing was more like pirate cake nice big ribbons which I find smokes better than the cut they used for KK but still a great VA/PR

Pipe Used: Brigham voyager Billiard

Not only is this is the best VaPer I've smoked, it's one of the best blends of any genre I've smoked. In my top 5. The components are well married giving the flavor of a tart, spicey wine. There's also a little extra sweetness, earthiness, and depth which I think is coming from the Cavendish. KK has stomped on my old favorite VaPers and kicked them out the door. I don't even want them anymore. I'm just as addicted to this as a junkie is to heroin. Medium in body and flavor. Moist in the tin. Needs a little drying time. Burns very well. I have to sign off now. I need another fix.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman, MM Freehand

I have to admit that when it comes to Vaper flakes and cakes, I am a bit of a Eurosnob as I have struggled to find an American made one that knocks me out. But Kajun Kake has been a game changer for me. I was fortunate enough to have my first tin of KK have some age on it and it really delivered. Upon opening the tin, I didn’t get the usual fig, raison scent that is so common with blends of this type. Instead, the tin scent is more of a sour (not in a bad way) smell which I believe comes from the moderate dose of Perique. The first word that comes to mind with this blend is “depth.” Kajun Kake offers deep, rich flavor. It is sweet reminding me of dark brown sugar or molasses, but the Perique evens it out and the beautiful somewhat complex flavors. KK has quite a bit of body for a VaPer too, more so than many of my other favorites. Along with some body, comes some strength, but, at least for my taste, it is far from overpowering and not as strong as the above mentioned DNR. I think I have just found my favorite C&D blend!

Age When Smoked: sevaral years

thehaggis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thehaggis (18)

Now this is more like it! After being thoroughly disappointed with Bayou Morning Flake and it's rather odd and "meh" nature, I opened the tin of Kajun Kake ready to be very underenthused. Nicely incorrect. This is a much better rendering of a VaPer for my taste buds. The kake is easy to pinch off and rub out (excellent aesthetic quality I must say) and it has that nice fruity tangy hint to it that I like in my VaPer's (AJ's VaPer from Hearth and Home being my runaway favorite). This is a nice smoke, easily lit, stays lit, doesn't require a lot of fiddling about and leaves nice ash and little dottle. Lots of sugar crystals in the bowl afterwards........the Virginia is very sweet, but again, nicely balanced by the Perique. This is definitely in the rotation.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Smoking some Kajun Kake right now in my Savinelli Capri. This seemed harsh right out of the tin in March, but just those few months in a jar have mellowed it out quite a bit. It is nice for slow sipping, strong enough without being overpowering, and the dark Virginia (well, actually just checked and it's Red Virginia, but at least the Kake is dark) and generous Perique is nice. I guess they Cavendishize some or all of that Virginia. I like it, as I like all C&D Crumble Cakes. I might like Briar Fox a little more than this, but they are different styles of course, and I am always tweaking my opinions on C&D blends, for some reason. I am a perique fan, and there seems to be plenty in here. This will be spectacular after 10 years in the tin, I'm sure, and it's enjoyable now. Very nice presentation of this cake (Kake). It looks like a perfectly-formed plug, but I have never come across a crumble cake before that holds together so well, yet allows one to easily pinch off enough for a bowl. Well done, as usual, and I still think C&D does best with their Crumble Cakes.

Or should I phrase that:

I don't think this is spectacular stuff or that it stands out from the crowd in any way, except that it might be the best crumble cake presentation I've ever seen. Holds together so well it looks like a plug, yet you can oh-so-easily pinch off the perfect portion and promptly and properly pulverize it for your pipe with no problem at all!

Medium to Strong None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

If Kajun Kake tasted all the way to the bottom of the bowl like it does in the first couple of puffs, I'd give it 4 stars and buy 10 tins on my next order. Sweet and mellow dark Virginias with a touch of Perique, a pleasure galore. The problem is that soon thereafter, the flavors fade away and leave you craving for them to come back.

Maybe this is suitted for a more refined smoker, although I enjoy a lot of Virginias.

Croaker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Croaker (13)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Kajun Kake is a pressed Virginia-Perique-Cavendish block. Typically a few brownie-looking bars of tobacco come in a tin and one breaks off a piece and rubs it out. While the blocks are quite dry, I've never found the tobacco to have unpleasant burning characteristics.

Kajun Kake produces a full volume of sweet unflavored-Cavendish-dominated smoke without ever biting my tongue. I found Kajun Kake to be a naturally mellow sweet blend with a light, yet clearly detectable, Perique spice. I have gone through many tins.

My complaint about Kajun Kake is that my pipe always start off quite bitter. The bitterness last though about a third of the smoke and dissipates to the pleasant flavor I described above.

I read somewhere that burley is the base tobacco used in making Perique. I don't know if it's at all related, but the bitterness I experience in the first third of the bowl reminds me lot of the bitterness one gets from abusing a burley blend.

I tolerated the idiosyncratic nature of this tobacco for years. Recently, I moved to Bullseye Flake which I find to have very similar characteristics without the bitter experience.

rosczich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rosczich (9)
Medium None Detected Overwhelming Tolerable

this is one great sweet black stuff of a brick with virginia and perique. two of them stick together in a tin and after some aging im happy i posess a daniel judd plug cutter cause this is no longer a crumble cake but a plug!maybe the result of the high sugar content. i always take my giant parks billard and stroll along for nearly three hours of the most velvet like smoke.try and buy more for aging!

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a great vaper. I received a good sized sample of this that I recently finished up. I think this has some of C & D Red Virginia Cavendish in it as well as some standard red Virginia. The Perique content is great. Strong enough to let you know that You are smoking a C&D product, but not overwhelming like some of their vaburpers such as OJK or Burley FLake Three.

This one started a little ashy and harsh to me, but the sweetness of the vas started to really come through and complimented the perique well giving that dried fruit taste that so many of us vaper lovers enjoy. It is a rich smoke.

I really enjoyed it and recommend this one. Not sure it is four star worthy, but I will give it three and purchase more and revisit this review should my opinion change.

Junkyard Dawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Junkyard Dawg (24)

Meerkat has summarized my thoughts on this one, including the great tin art of the C & D offerings. Really, a very good VA/PER and the Krumble Kake is so easy to break down and prepare to one's liking. The Red VAs really are bold, rich and tangy; this type of VA is not sweet at all, so this is not a sweet blend, it is spicey and rich, and very well balanced. The perique will dominate during the last third. Good taste, good nic hit, beautiful burning leaving a dry bowl.

Pipe Used: Stanwell

Purchased From: 4noggins

Kajan Kake- Wonderful tin note of maple , perfect moisture and kake breaks up with just a touch of finger pressure ( no slicing and dicing required). Perique incense scent is very noticeable along with roasted marshmallows , very pleasant. Very interesting when snorked or French inhaled as Perique makes itself know from the first light along with a flavor of "Chinese Five Spice" . I would call the taste more sour/bitter than sweet but in perfect balance with the Virginias ( a little green, could use some aging). A very nice change of pace from Latakia but I wouldn't call this a "Vaper" as the Virginias are dark and take a background to the Perique, maybe a "PerVa" .

It's not often I can get a full Perique blast without my tongue turning to Tabasco, but this is smooth. Similar blends ??? maybe some of the McC's Royal Cajun line( this is unusual) but I couldn't smoke this all day, a nice change.

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: 1 month open

Similar Blends: McC's Royal Cajun Ebony, or Dark.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The virginia in this blend is strong, not at all what one might expect after smoking virginias in the Danish style. In general, sweetness is low, but present. The flavor reminds me of rope tobaccos in a pungent, somewhat fermented kind of way.

Plain and tasty good ol' fashion virginia with a very noticeable amount of perique. Full flavored, for sure, and not boring at all.

Definitely worth a try.

RusticAuthor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RusticAuthor (5)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I can see why some smokers might like this blend, but it's just not my taste. It has a pleasant, sweet tin aroma, but I detect no sweetness after I light it. I agree with the reviewer who described the aroma as dry. Like another reviewer, I also found it to be somewhat bitter for a while after being lit. Nonetheless, it's not a bad blend, but it's not what I'm looking for in a Va/Per.

JasonDicker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JasonDicker (22)
Strong Medium Full Strong

This has to be the boldest blend I've ever smoked. Krumble kake VAPER. Very unique, amazing flavour combination. Nice, but I find it very strong. Leaves me a bit flustered.

I think if aged, this blend will mellow beautifully.

UPDATE: I have left this in the tin for a few months and it has mellowed nicely. Enough strength & spiciness to make it ideal for the morning smoke. 4 stars.

fervor06 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fervor06 (11)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

My mama always said life is like a tin of tobacco: You never know when you'll be getting cancer.

I remember when I was drafted to serve in 'Nam. I had to go through training first. On the bus to camp, I sat next to a fella named Bubba. So Bubba was from Bayou la Batrie, Alabama, and his mama cooked shrimp. And her mama before her cooked shrimp, and her mama before her mama cooked shrimp, too. Bubba's family knew everything there was to know about the shrimping business. I had always thought that he looked like an angler fish, but it didn't matter to me. He was a friend.

Now for some reason I fit in the army like one of them round pegs. It's wasn't really hard. You just make your bed real neat and remember to stand up straight and always answer every question with "Yes, drill sergeant."

When I was training, Bubba told me everything he knew about shrimp. He said he was gonna get into shrimping business himself. One of the secret recipes he taught me was to wrap shrimp in tobacco and steam it and then sprinkle Louisiana Perique on it. But the secret wasn't about eating it, it was about smoking it. We were gonna get some tobacco shipped from Bayou, but we had finished our training, and we were shipped to 'Nam.

There we met Lieutenant Dan, and we helped him look for a fella named Charlie. We couldn't find him most of the time, because we kept being shot at. One time it got real dangerous. Our platoon got split and so I ran. I ran as fast as I could. Then I realized I was alone. I had to go find Bubba. He was my best good friend.

Every time I went to find Bubba, I found someone else who needed help. After I saved them all, I went to find Bubba. Then I found him and took him to the shore. He was hurt pretty bad. Lt. Dan activated the flare, and purple smoke filled the area. It was a flare, but it smelled like Bayou Shrimp and Tobacco. It was Kajun Kake.

If I'd have known this was gonna be the last time Bubba and me was gonna talk, I'd have thought of something better to say. But then, Bubba said something I won't ever forget: "Forrest, I wanna smoke my secret blend."

Bubba was my best good friend, and even I know that ain't something you can find just around the corner. Bubba was gonna be a shrimping boat captain, but instead, he died right there by the riverbed in Vietnam.

Arko Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arko (8)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I got interested in Vapers about a year ago (normally a Virginia guy), and I've done my best to try a lot of different takes on this delicious combo. Some work better than others, no doubt, and this one from Cornell & Diehl is a perfect example on how well the two types of tobacco can get along.

The amount of Perique is as it should be (according to MY taste). It's not completely overpowering, but it's still very present with its weird spicy character and almost fruity hints. Plus, yes, it gives a certain boost in the nicotine department.

The (red) Virginia is really what makes the blend special though, largely because it has been turned into Cavendish. That, I believe, was a clever move. The softness of the Cavendish (with the still lingering red Virginia tricks) is amazing when it gets in action with the dark and playful Perique. The result is an earthy but very well rounded smoke that casts a deliciously sweet shadow.

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (56)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I just love this one, Love the sweet Virginias and the Perique spicy, love the smell when you open the tin, the crumble cake, the tin art, in fact i love everything about it. Perfect

juanocp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
juanocp (11)
Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

The initial 1/3 is sweet virginias, very sweet, the rest of the pipe is perique and doesn't let go until the end. Quite strong for an empty stomach.

karnevil9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
karnevil9 (17)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

Can't seem to make up my mind on this one. Not great and not bad, just ok. I love mostly all C&D blends and this one fits into my rotation. It has excellent strength. Nicotine hit is ok, not overpowering. I would probably buy more if it came in bulk, but it does not. It smokes well all the way to the bottom. A good over all smoke. Certainly nothing special though. I tend to have un realistic expectations from C&D blends, so maybe I just expect to much from this one.

ProdigalWeb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ProdigalWeb (18)

This is another tobacco that doesn't quite do it for me and I don't think it's the tobacco's fault. I've never gotten along particularly well with blends that have much Cavendish in them. I suspect there's something about my technique that doesn't work with Cavendish because this blend smokes very wet and hot for me. It also bites pretty hard unless I smoke it so slowly that it goes out all the time. The room note is very pleasant but the taste is just bitter to me. If you like Cavendish and Perique I suspect that you'll love this stuff, but I'm going to stick to my Virginias.

Countrygent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Countrygent (9)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

There is alot to like about this blend. A little different to shake the unopened tin and hear that brick rattling around. As other have said, a dense, heavy pressed dark brownie that takes some prodding to crumble - it does break into quite small and fairly dry crumbs. Reminds me of the texture of pressed dry peat moss in how it breaks apart.

Lights, burns and smokes easily with rich thick smoke. Real perique kick and lots of dense virginia flavour. I enjoy it in a smaller bowl in small doses, an after-dinner late night summer smoke that can stand up to bourbon, whiskey or a robust red wine. Fair to strong nicotine.

It is just a bit of pipe-smoking fun to have an open tin around and press towards the stronger limits of a va/per. This is not a subtle smoke - the Kajun tag says it - strong, spicy, sweet, tons of character. Too strong a room note for indoor smoking in my man cave. Perfect on the deck looking up at the stars.

Would never be an all day smoke for me, and filling a big bowl with KK might lay me out horizontal, but a wonderful change of pace from my usual lighter va/per tastes.

Sweet, like strong dark coffee with a big dollop of sugar. Pleasant aftertaste, no casing ghosts discernable.

Highly recommended as a change of pace treat and flavour bomb for those of us who shy away from the orientals and latakia.

erickghint Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
erickghint (6)

This was my first experience with a cake tobacco, and my first VaPer. I have to say that I was very impressed with it. Crumbled easily, packed perfectly, and smoked like a champ. The Va cavendish comes through with that subtle sweetness, and the perique sits in the background letting you know it's there from time to time. Amazing blend, and one that I'll keep stock of.

Mountain Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mountain Man (23)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco is very mild.I think I could smoke 10 bowls per day,and never harm a hair on my tongue.It has just a slight natural sweetness,not overwhelming and I really had to focus to notice it.If youre looking for aromatic sweetness,you wont find it here.The flavor reminds me of what broomstraw smells like,but is not offensive.Once lit,it stays lit if packed loose. This is a great all day tobacco that has very mild tobacco taste.

periqueguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
periqueguy (43)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I love this stuff and find that it's perfect for the golf course. I just knock off a piece between shots, stuff it into the bowl and enjoy the great english flavor for the next few holes. I even shaved a few strokes off my handicap since smoking this on the course. It relaxes me and should be endorsed by the PGA as a training sedative for those who swing too fast!

IHT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
IHT (15)

As a Va/Per Ho, I had to give a couple tins a twirl the past couple years.

There's something about the flavor that just doesn't jive with me. It wasn't sweet, in the least bit. If anything it was a dry sour peppery taste that never progressed into anything more (or less). It did have an average nicotine whallop that'll sneak up on ya.

I'm finding out I'm not a fan of these "Kakes". The way they pack too flat, the small pieces that find their way up the bit and into my mouth... not a fan.

Some ppl love this blend. I can see how they could, the flavor isn't for me, and the packing and size of tobacco doesn't detract all that much. Still, not a blend for me.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Another good smoke for cowboys. I still believe that I can not easily smoke American tobaccos. Dry, cool, easy to smoke, with the characteristic, as far as I am concerned, smell of burnt straw. Perique is very nicely bound in this blend, and this makes it stand out of the other Cornell and Diehl.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium Mild to Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I love this stuff, I get a fruity red wine taste (a bit like Spanish Sangria) with a spicy hint of charcoal. It is a wonderful experience opening a tin of this and seeing two big chunky blocks, and from there it only gets better, a moist but crumbly texture as you fill your bowl, it's smokable straight from the tin, but not dried out...outstanding! There really is nothing out there like it...treat yourself to this unique perique experience.

Ranger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ranger (58)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

First off, the packaging of this tobacco is great. Two small, slightly moist cubes wrapped in wax paper and looking perfect, ready to smoke. A small chunk can be taken off each cube and rubbed out very easily. I let it sit for about 10 minutes before packing. The burn is good and the initial taste typical of other C&D vapor blends. With that said, I like it, and others might too, and I have a few tins stashed, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy more.

This is a well above average Krumble Kake that rates 4-Stars from me! It has a subtle sweetness, packs some muscle in both the strength and taste departments, breaks up, packs and burns easily, and is a cool rather than hot smoke.

I also appreciated the discreet use of Perique rather than a searing blast of the stuff. I did get the Perique presence to show itself more towards the bottom of the bowl.

A nice touch of that good old Kajun spice (Perique), makes this thoroughly enjoyable!

doc pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
doc pipes (17)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

Initially I wasn't so sure that I liked this tobacco, but after several years of smoking this on and off, I have reconsidered. This stuff is strong per my taste, much more so than other reviewers have assessed. I would get a catch in the back of my throat if smoked too quickly. With time and extra slow smoking, I would submit that the experience becomes so much more. The Virginias let off toasty, bread like notes. There are some nice fleeting undertones of bitter spiced orange. The perique is well behaved and gives notes of pepper that come and go.

Pipe Used: numerous

Purchased From: iwan ries

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (55)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

Every time I assess or review material things, a part of me seeks to ascertain my thought processes and understanding of that object-in light of the same subjective influences that similar like-minded individuals. After all, your reviews have led me to some awesome blends where I was in agreement with the brothers. Subjectivity increases as constants reduce. In the case of tobacco reviews, tastes (in the base objective sense-one of the major 5) are so affected by so many variables that its a wonder so many agree on what we do agree upon.

Still, using this as a prime example, this toby review reinforces the fact that I often dont share in the majority. The beauty is in understanding that its really okay to do so. Really it is.

Positives for KK include a very well constructed cake: Its 2x3 inches, very brownie-like in color, appearance, and in texture. It breaks apart densely, but with light effort becomes uniform in its cut. Very easy to pack.

Tin note is yummy, in that the cavendish provides a chocolatey wine smell, one tou can bury your nose into. Wish it was edible.

Negatively: the smoke itself....though I dont allow it to burn hot, it smokes so dry that it reduces the available taste profile. Its thin, but its also bitter. The bitterness is not assuaged by the virginias, nor did I ever get any Cav sweetness at any point of any bowl. There is no early bowl mid bowl or late bowl shifts, well other than peppery bitterness late, versus salty bitterness early.

To that end I tried it in dedicated Vaper pipes large and small, with no alteration. I packed in dense, I tried the Fred Hanna method, but the experience was consistent.

Im going to defer to Bluenoser and jar this under heat until such a time that I've forgotten its existence, then revisit this blend. Until then I give up...but that's okay because its a subjective experience, and one I'd rather not repeat.

May your experience be better!

Pipe Used: A Velani billiard, Savenelli

Age When Smoked: 5/23/13

Purchased From: Pipes Cigars.com

Jay29 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jay29 (1)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my first review so take it with a grain of salt. When I opened the tin I saw a "brownie" looking square. It had an earthy sweet smell to it. I broke a pinch off and rubbed it out and then let it dry for about 30 minutes. Packed it into my Peterson Billiard and lit her up. This is about 30 days ago and it left no impression at all. Very bland. Placed in mason jar. I tried it about a month later and wow! It is now a very sweet, creamy smoke! I believe the perique adds a salty dimension in taste and a whole lot of nicotine! Can't explain where the nicotine was when I first tried it!?!

This will only get better with age. A very sweet creamy taste with enough nicotine to make your head twirl. What more can I ask for? 3 tins will be added on my next order for cellaring. I suggest you do the same!

Hobo Joe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hobo Joe (2)
Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Pleasant

Well for me.1/4 done and who tillted the world.Than I smoked Rabbit tobacco and it may killed all tolerances to tobacco. Anyway I like the smell out of the Tin, after that if you like strong than it's yours. "HJ"

Ugo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ugo (9)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The cavendish process bring to the VA the right correction for me, it improves sweetness, takes out this cigarette taste that makes VA unpleasant to me. PER is there, but not too spicy and saucy. A peat and earthy taste gives a pleasant bitterness that I appreciate being a latakia lover. A great option!

Rev. E. A. Hernandez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rev. E. A. Hernandez (3)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

This stuff is grand...the wife LOVES the aroma best of any she's ever endured. I love it for its perfect blend--a rare thing nowadays. However, I have some pointers for you lovers out there:

1. Let the cake air-dry for 2-3 days in a protected area. 2. Rub this out cautiously, after some drying, using a golf tee or pipe nail to separate the cake. 3. Air dry the rubbed-out stuff a day or two. 4. By all means smoke away...but I recommend marrying this to a mild burley like Lane's LTD 1-Q.

funkysideup Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
funkysideup (3)

Upon opening the tin I was greeted by what looked and smelled like a brownie. For me, it was all down hill from there. KK was hard to get lit and to keep lit. Once I got it going KK smoked hot. The taste reminded me of standing down wind from a burning pile of wet hay or leaves. It gave me a headache and I gave up about halfway through the bowl. I gave it a second go a few days later with the same result. KK is just not for me.

onehitter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
onehitter (16)

Your not missing out on anything if you never smoke this. Smells like a cake too.

periqueguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
periqueguy (43)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

Sorry, didn't realize that I reviewed this twice. It's still great!

parris001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
parris001 (8)

I've recently ventured away from aromatics and this is one of the first half dozen or so Va/Pers I've purchased. With the start of the opening of the tin I knew I was in for a different experience. There were 2 nice little kakes that could (as you may have already read here) best be described as little brownies. Little brownies that had been stored in peat moss to give them an earthy aroma. I found this to be very pleasant. There was really no hint of perique in the notes coming from the tin of unburned tobacco.

I took a razor and shaved off a little and left it in the lid to dry, not that it really needed much of that. The very loose medium dark leafs didn't appear to have any perique mixed in with them. The mixture packed well and lit right up. Loads of cool rich smoke were obtainable (hey, there's the perique!) without the risk of any nasty bite. There's a nice bit of tang there but I detect no sweetness at all. Not that that's a bad thing. About half way through the bowl there's a bit of a taste you'd expect to get from an inexpensive cigar. The perique is a constant companion that never becomes overpowering. All the flavors complement each other well. Pretty earthy.

This is very different from any of the other Va/Pers I've tried. Not my favorite but it is nonetheless very good. Never gurgled in the pipe which is saying something for me because I usually set a pretty fast pace. Worth a try if you don't like a bowl heavy on the perique.

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)

The review below is part of a VaPer Showdown that I conducted between several VaPer blends:

C & D Kajun Kake

Well, I smoked about three bowls of this yesterday. I had had this before but wanted to see if my opinion on this had changed. This is one of those blends that I really, really wanted to like but I just don't and I can't really put my finger on it.

These come in small brick-like cakes that are wrapped very carefully and placed in the tin. The pre-light aroma is awesome. The cakes smell like chocolate brownies!! This is one of those blends where the smell doesn't match the taste. The cakes arrive right around the right moisture level so I only let these dry for about 20 minutes before I packed my pipe.

The main components in this blend are Red Virginia Cavendish and Perique. Now you might be fooled into thinking that since it is a cavendish then it is going to be sweet. You would be far from the truth. It is not sweet at all and that may be why I don't really like it. It has a very dark taste similar to unsweetened chocolate or bakers chocolate to me. Someone on Tobaccoreviews.com likened it to smoking a very dry cigar. I would agree with that. There is also quite a bit of Perique in this blend but the virginias and the perique never seem to blend to me. Not to say that this is a bad blend, it just wasn't the taste that I was expecting. I think that the care of packaging and overall quality of the tobacco makes this an above average blend but you have to like the taste of it.

Overall, like I said above, I think that this is a quality blend but it just wasn't my cup of tea. I will probably trade this one out with someone who either wants to try it or really likes the taste of this one. If you're interested in a trade them PM me. I have 1 whole cake and about half of the other one left.

Overall Standings:

1) Escudo 2) Dorchester 3) Luxury Bullseye 4) Kajun Kake

Big Jim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Jim (15)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

So far this is the best VAPER that I?ve smoked. The virginia cavendish provides a constant sweet flavor just underneath the peppery perique. The flavors balance well; the perique is stronger than in other blends but not overdone. This one is a full flavor smoke with enough nicotine to keep you satisfied. Burns easily and cool with zero tongue bite. If you are a fan of this genre definitely give it a try.

jmrtsus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jmrtsus (10)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

OK, a little truth here...my home town is New Orleans, one Parish away from St. James Parish (home of Perique tobacco) so I have to like this tobacco! Too dry when opened and one bowl a day is all my throat can handle but I do love the taste of this one. I wish I could smoke it as my all day tobacco but I just can't handle the potent mix.

This is a great after dinner smoke especially if dinner consists of boiled shrimp or crawfish! Kajun Kake seems mild after a bold spicy meal....

My first tin went up in smoke in about a week and I spent much of my time coughing afterwards. My new tin is a once a day party that everyone should attend if you can handle it. Much too strong for all day but a great way to finish a day.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Medium None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

Kajun Kake is a hard one to place. I do not find it similar to other C&D VAPER offerings. If you are thinking a darker Bayou Morning Flake, this is not it. KK is not sweet, and not as tangy as a stoved Virginia.

Dark in the tin and a bit brooding in the pipe. Along with its brooding nature, it is very cool, without edge and moderately complex. Still, it remains a friendly blend and is fairly tasty. Strangely, it has very little room note and moderate perique!

The closest comparison I can make to KK is Treasures of Ireland Limmerick by Dan Tobacco. Give both a try, as they are easy and companionable.

miracleman83 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
miracleman83 (13)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

I love this tobacco!!! VaPer? Cavendish/perique? Whatever you call it it is unique in a wonderful way!!! As opposed to aros as I am, I strangely love a good unsweetened Cavendish if it is as expertly blended with other tobaccos as Kajun Kake is.

The Kake is a new favorite form of tobacco of mine. This one was a little wet, but it smoked well at the moisture level it arrived.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)

It's been a tough time locating some Kingfisher at present, so I thought I would try Kajun Kake as a substitute. I did not expect it to be just like Kingfisher, mind you, but I enjoy the crumble cake style of tobacco. And a va/per mix is something I quite enjoy if it is blended and balanced just so.

C&D Krumble Kake, in a word, is average. The two little lumps of cake sitting in the tin look impressive, and definitely smell of perique; well aged perique. It has that piquancy those familiar with genuine perique will immediately recognize. Sadly, this piquancy does not translate so well in the flavor.

I'm not sure what red va. cavendish is supposed to be, but it isn't sweet. Halfway through my first bowl I began picking up whisps of sweetness, but more like what you get from a cigar. And the piquancy of the perique faded after the charring light. It wasn't bad, nor even unpleasant; just very average, just barely.

It's not really fair to draw comparisons to other va/per blends, as this seems to be a very unique tobacco. However, in comparison to C&D's Bayou Morning, it is quite simply inadequate. It is unlikely that I will even finish this tin, as it just does not have enough to going for it to keep my interest.

BriarFire~ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarFire~ (24)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

Aaiiyee! This is a terrific blend from C&D.If I could think of one word for it... Quality.When I opened the 2oz. tin I was impressed with the two "cakes" sitting nicely on the bottom.I simply pinched a bowlfull off and rubbed it out over the plastic lid. The moisture level seemed ideal, so in the bowl it went. The first part of the bowl was sweet indeed,with just the right amount of Perique for my taste.The strength seemed to increase towards the end but it did not get bitter or sour.Another great part of this blend is the absence of any tongue bite,(the red cav. maybe?)unlike 2015 which can scorch my mouth.All in All a Quality and pleasant smoke, Highly recommended Update 6/28/07 If you think you even might like perique,give this a try.This is a great all day smoke.After going through a couple of tins I had to order a pound as I'm curious to see what some age will do.When "breath smoked" the sweetness of the Va. really shines, and when using the "DGT" method the KK takes on a real earthy almost cigar like quality without losing the sweetness,The nicotine is adequate and is noticed in larger bowls.Perique is maybe not everyones cup of tea,but for Me,I gotta have dat Kajun Kake.

Dave Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dave (15)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

At times I find my favorite, Peretti's London Flake, to be a little on the strong, mouth burning side so I bought eight ounces of Kajun Kake in an effort to find a milder Virginia/Perique blend. It is milder but I find it has a little too much Perique in it for my tastes. It is a good quality tobacco and the little cakes wrapped in paper are a nice touch. I once smoked a bowlful of straight Perique and Kajun Kake reminded me a little of that. I feel in this stuff the Perique overwhelms the Virginias. Less of the Perique I think would make this a good blend for me.

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

This certainly is not what I expected when I popped the top of this tin. Talk about the power of suggestion: The two little bricks not only look like brownies to me, they smell like brownies. I think I may have my wife convinced that it smells like brownies. Of course the tobacco tastes nothing like brownies.

I started this out in a Savinelli that is sort of squat and medium wide. The first few bowls reminded me more of a cigar than a pipe. That is not a bad thing; again, it just wasn't what I expected.

I usually cut off a small porton (sideways) with a razor blade and rub it fully. Let her sit about 15 minutes and she is ready for fire.

This tobacco burns reasonably well with maybe four or five re-lights per bowl.

Kajun Kake has started to grow on me, but I don't know that it will become a regular. I do have one more tin in the cellar and it certainly won't go to waste.

I like Virginias and Vapers a lot, and I try as many as I can. Kajun Kake does not conjur up any similarities with any of the blends of this genre that I smoke e.g., Pease, McClelland, Samuel Gawith or Escudo. Perhaps it is the cavendish element. Again, this is not a bad thing, it just waasn't what I expected.

I'll give it three stars as I think it is an above average tobacco. It just wasn't what I expected.

DrJohnNash Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrJohnNash (9)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Unnoticeable

Apparently, I?m all about Perique. It seems that the tobaccos I like the most seem to have a least a hint of it in the blend I bought this because of the strength of the recommendations here, and I was not disappointed. I enjoyed the entire ritual, from crumbling to packing and, of course, the smoking of the kake. Wonderful. Unfortunately, in the dry summer desert air, it aged over time more like cajun rope. Once dried, there was noting I could do to reintroduce a bit of moisture and it became unsmokeable. Luckily, I had already lit up most of it . . .whew Definitely a colder season tobacco when the humidity is, like today, 24% and higher. Unlike other tobaccos, Kajun Kake did not cope well with 100+ days and 10% humidity. Best smoked on the bayou.

Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

This blend comes in the tin as 2 pressed bricks ~ 2"x1"x1" that crumble easily for packing. The attention to the hand wrapping exemplifies that given to the tobacco preparation and overall quality. Lighting and packing were easy, relights not needed and a cool, dry, rich, even smoke without a hint of bite resulted. Intially, I thought the smoke was a little rough and it was quite a change from my normal, sweet VA flakes and this one has a greater Perique loading and also processed red VAs that I've not tried before in VA/Perique blends. Although I became more accustomed to the taste with additional bowls, I still felt the taste during the smoke and the prevalent aftertaste was too earthy and overpowering. But if you like hi-test Perique, give it a try since I think that in combination with these red VAs, it is a rather unique blend.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This a perique-heavy blend with just enough VAs to keep it interesting. The VA's start out as semi-sweet, kind of like unsweetened chocolate, and get sweeter as the bowl progresses. This has a very peaty, dark flavor that I've come to appreciate. It also has a decent nicotine hit. It lacks the bright notes and subtlety of blends like Escuodo, replacing them with a sense of depth. Not quite a classic and I doubt it will appeal to everyone, but I've come to prefer it over many of the more traditional VA/PERs. Three stars.

ajaj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ajaj (69)

This is a new blend from C&D which was introduced at the 2006 Chicago Pipe Show. I've smoked alot of it recently and have concluded that it is very very similar to Bayou Morning Flake in most categories. There are subtle differences, for instance, BMF is a little more sweet and a tad less earthy. However, BMF and KK are almost identical. Earthy and peaty; kind of like the smell of a thick lush forest after a heavy rain. Group 1 or 2 pipe bowls suit both blends well.

aj

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (104)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Full Pleasant

Wonderful Crumble Cake of Red virginia cavendish and perique. In the tin, the blend comes as two little bricks of tobacco red and black in color. The bricks are packaged in a very unique way, i just love how they come wrapped like a christmas present in paper. It must take alot of time to wrap each one and fold the edges like an envelope but its exactly the quality we have come to expect from C&D. The blend starts off a little harsh on lighting so i char the top layer and let it rest for 5 minutes or so then light her again. The flavor is a deep chocolate mixed with an earthy soil aroma that just makes my mouth water. The bowl finishes with a grey ash and no dottle. What sets this blend apart from other V/P blends is the use of red cavendish as opposed to a "regular" matured red virginia. To me this alleviates the bite and increases the sweetness to offset the perique.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Wow, I get to be first?! I had the distinguished honor to get to try this the week before the Chicago Pipe show. I was visiting C&D the Friday before Easter- In the throes of TAD, when Mr. Tarler passed me a bag with a black cake in it and advised me to ?Stick this in your pipe?- Who am I to argue? On Char light I got a blast of a deep, rich, sweet and spicy blast of sheer joy. Did I mention I love Perique? As the bowl progressed the flavor got richer, and fuller- Not one to wax imaginative, but I had the most peaceful vision of a night in the mountains under a full moon??then I was informed the name was Kajun Kake. Fitting I thought..... I'm ¾ down the bowl and it just gets smoother?.Its about this time I realize I?m getting tunnel vision. See- I had a Kaywoodie ¼ bent bulldog, and it?s a fair big bowl. When Mr. Tarler says stick this in your pipe- Well I did. I was having such a good time, I didn?t realize I had been smoking it for about 45mins. So give it some respect?..finishes as good as you could wish. This is such a great blend- I can?t say enough. It?s become my favorite VaPer- As a side note- I dedicated that Kaywoodie to it. Laissez les bon temps rouler!!!!!!! *Well I was first- Seems when you go back to fix your bad spelling- you get thrown to the head of the class..What a revoltin development... :(

writer_robin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
writer_robin (7)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Oh, my! I stopped by my local B&M to replenish my dwindling stocks and my tobacconist said, "You like Perique; fill a bowl with this." He then handed me a tin of Kajun Kake. Fortunately, I had my Peterson with me, so I indulged him.

Was it good? Did I like it? Well, I'll say this: it is the first time I bought a tobacco _before_ reading its review on TRC.

In the tin, it's both earthy & fruity. In my pipe, it's a pleasant pirogue ride through the lazy backwaters of the bayou: relaxing, thought-inspiring, a mini-vacation from the cares and woes of everyday life. And isn't that what a pipe session should be?

However, I must admit that this lovely blend plays straight to my prejudices: After sampling what's on the radio these days I'm becoming even more firmly entrenched in my belief that the only music worth listening to is reggae or Zydeco. Kajun Kake supports my view that for me, any blend I smoke is a disappointment unless it's got a splash of Perique. God, I love that tobacco!

As for the comments in the first two reviews, asll I can say is, "You right about dat!"