For those who prefer a little Virginia with their Perique, your ship has come in. The addition of the Burley and Bourbon toppings does set it apart a bit, it's still a VaPer to the core with nothing spared when it comes to the Perique. This is an excellent blend that smokes clean and cool with not a hint of bite.

BrandHearth & Home
Taste

2.5
Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (50)

This is a fine burly based VaPer. In my opinion not for the novice smoker. Has a great jar note. Be patient in smoking this offering and it will reward you with a rich tobacco taste with a hint of pepper and spice. If you smoke Frenchy's too quickly it will reward you with tongue bite. I will reiterate NOT FOR THE NOVICE SMOKER!

Pipe Used: Briars dedicated to this tobacco style.

Purchased From: pipesandncigars.com

Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I had to smoke a bit of this to decide how I felt about it. The perique is of decent measure, but outside of a fig and spice note, I didn't find it to dominate the flavor that much. The bourbon is light, but discernible to one who knows that taste. The Virginia does what it's supposed to, but I think burley is more the star here. Slightly cigarettish if you puff fast; burns well and evenly with a consistent flavor. It has a sweet and sour taste reminiscent of H&H Sweet and Savory, as others have pointed out. This is less buttery, and has a harsher taste, and though I like this blend, I prefer the S&S, which is a little more complex and easier to take.

Amsteracqua Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Amsteracqua (17)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

For first time i'm evaluate a blend with one star... this blend unfortunately is only beautiful in your cut... ...the tin is made with paper, this is sucks all the humidity of the tobacco, and the tin was rusty... I dont like this tobacco and I will not buy again...

WmOtten Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmOtten (1)

I'm a non-aromatic smoker. I like VaPers, English blends, stuff with Latakia, perique. I like the sweet grassiness of VA blends. I thought I'd tried FSB some few years ago, but hadn't any on hand. A friend who didn't like the spiciness of the peri que in this gave me his freshly opened tin. My surprise when I opened the tin was the rather large golden and brown and black 'leaves', no small flakes at all. What the heck, I didn't try to mulch them up, I began to pack a Ropp Cherrywood Churchwarden with it. Several attempts at relighting didn't help so I gave the bowl a bit of a stir, some prodding and relit? Success! There was the grassy tasting Virginia out front, and followed by a pretty good bit of perique upon the tongue. Then the burley nuttiness came in as a nice balance to the VA. A good bit of creamy white smoke, the bowl settled in to an even seesaw of VA and burley with enough tasty perique for character. To me, the green tea VA tastes slightly dominated. This would be a good morning pipe with a strong coffee. It won't make my my Must Have All the Time list, I'll enjoy the tin and move on to the better VaPer blends to be found.

Pipe Used: Ropp Churchwarden

Age When Smoked: Freshly opened tin

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A lot of Hearth & Homes blends seem to disappoint me. This is one of the few I find myself reaching for now and then.

It has good strength and a very full taste I enjoyed. It bit, like every other blend they do.

The room note was nice and the cut was very easy to light, and flavorful.

I don't think I would buy it again, but its cool for a starter smoker trying out different casings.

Pipe Used: Peterson System (Bent)

Ethan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ethan (34)
Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable

I am just now trying this for the first time, just got the tin the other day. I opened the tin and was surprised to find it stuffed to the top with a seemingly dry tobacco blend that smelled of whiskey and perique. I packed my bowl and fired it up and whoa! this stuff is strong and a little harsh from the dryness. Maybe re-hydrating it a little would calm it down some but it does have a pretty serious Nic hit to it, it also burns really fast. I may have to cellar this one for a while. As of right now it doesn't have much flavor other than lots of perique, maybe too much. It just doesn't do much for me personally.

Pipe Used: straight bulldog

Age When Smoked: new, just opened

Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Although not very strong the bourbon topping kind of ruined this blend for me. I think I would have liked it without it.

brogreggblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brogreggblues (45)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

Mostly burley at the match. Very dry. Don't notice perique in tin or first light. Midbowl, a bit of sweetness. By end of bowl, perique still well in the background. Burley dominates throughout, with fairly high Nick level. No bite. My impression is of an OTC burley with a little black pepper sprinkled in. I'd rather smoke Classic Burley Kake.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Strong

I had hoped that some aging would lead me to increase this by a star, but I'm going the other way here. Just a few months in a mason jar has all but ruined this stuff! There's almost no flavor here, just loads of nicotine and hot air. VERY disappointing .... Definitely smoke this fresh.

(Original review: 6-15-08): This is an in-your-face blend that reaches to the back of your throat and kicks hard. This is perhaps the loudest mixture I've ever tried, a riot of sweet-and-sour flavors that can overwhelm your tastebuds if not careful. This blend is all about the perique, with just enough sweet Virginia to make it palatable. The topping is definitely noticeable throughout the bowl but serves to enhance the natural tobacco flavors rather than obscure them. It reminds me somewhat of Redwood and has a comparable nicotine hit. I'm a perique junkie, but this stuff makes even Old Joe Krantz seem like a model of subtlety and complexity. This isn't a bad thing, mind you -- I've greatly enjoyed my sample and have laid down a half-pound or so to see how it ages. But not everyone will be able to appreciate or even tolerate this, I think. I'm rating this on a split scale: If you don't like perique, this is a 1. If (like me) you enjoy heavy amounts of perique, it's a 3. If it ages well, it may become a 4.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (81)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

This is a Perique lovers blend, and if you like Haddos, Bayou Night, etc. , you'll like this. It is somewhat simpler than the above mentioned blends, lacking the deep notes of BN or the high notes of Haddos, yet this is a very good smoke. It is somewhat lighter in body too, yet the strength is nearly there. My sample was at the right moisture level and needed no aging to smoke. The Bourbon topping is very discreet, to the point where I could barely make it out (a little more Bourbon please) and the cut ( a kind of wild cut) encourages slow burning. Absolutely without bite, and a bit of a bargain, this is one of my favorites in the H&H line.

raadman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
raadman (31)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

My wife came in the room and asked me what I was smoking and I foolishly replied "Sunza Bitches"...I ended up ordering two more pounds anyway.

Meer lined cob, 2oz. sample

Gothicmace Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gothicmace (10)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

First off.. the name says a lot...so be ready for a good ole fashioned S.O.B. blend. As the description says.. this is VA with your Perique... so instead of a Va/Per.. its more of a Per/Va ... hmmm maybe a new blend description. The bourbon is a light addition to a very strong and straight forward blend.. but it rounds out the experience quite well. I would like to give this four stars.. it really is a great blend.. but it was just a bit harsh for me..... but as a morning pipe with a strong cup of coffee.. you will not be lacking for any flavor from this blend.

Pipe Used: MM Legend

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Similar Blends: I have not really found anything close to this blend..

Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I have a lot of respect for Russ Ouellette as a person and as I fine blender, but Frenchy’s simply misses the mark for me. Like many of Russ’ blends, FSB arrives quite dry. Normally this is a good thing as I prefer my tobaccos on the dry side. But with that said, in this case, it added a bit of harshness to the smoke. FSB isn’t limp wristed, but won’t knock out most pipe smokers. I like the bourbon flavor and it isn’t overdone, but it isn’t enough to save this blend. To steal a comment from another reviewer, I too found this to be a bit “cigaretteish” for my taste. I jarred about an ounce of this two years ago and opened it for the first time this past month. While not a long time in the jar, it didn’t improve things for me at all. There still wasn’t much sweetness from the Virginias. FSB and other blends that arrive so dry have begun to make me wonder about the possible important role some moisture may play in aging a blend. In the end, I don’t hate it and it isn’t terrible. It just isn’t for me.

Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

My tongue begs to differ, when it comes to the "not a hint of bite."

FSB is not as strong as rated. I hesitated between "mild to medium" and "medium" for a while before deciding on "medium."

When I opened the tin I was welcomed by a nice tin aroma of Bourbon which was very pleasant and not intrusive. When I saw the tobacco was very dry and it is mostly Golden VA with medium brown BU but not a lot of PER I knew this forecasted tongue bite.

Add that, the cut being very broad, I had to puff extra harder to get the tobacco going and keep it lit and that is definitively tongue bite.

The result? My tongue is currently destroyed. Raw and painful.

Might be a very good quality leaf but my God, it does not taste much and does my tongue ever hurt right now.

atb602 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atb602 (3)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have had some of this in storage for 5+ years now and just found it again. It is freakin fantastic! This is an awesome blend. I wish Frenchy was still around, I miss him. He ran a straight up business and he was a hell of a guy! Hope ya are enjoyin retirement my friend!

Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Based on a 1 oz sample. Golden brown in the bag, the unmistakeable aroma of perique with a dab of bourbon, and the familiar H&H cut of a cross between large fish flakes and mulch. The faintest taste of bourbon at lightup, this moves quickly to a rather perique-y taste, with the VA and burley in the background. It's a rich tasting blend but not overpowering on the perique. Burns rather quickly but never seems to get anywhere near too hot or bitey.

The flavor is briny with a touch of sweetness. What there was of the bourbon flavoring burns off quickly but it remains ever so slightly in the room bouquet. Some notes of cigarette but not to the point of being dull. I'm not sure if the mild sweetness is a result of the virginia or the topping but it doesn't taste of bourbon to me - more of a wisp of vanilla, but that's not quite right, either. It works, however, and keeps this blend from becoming all brine and pepper. Not as rich or flavorful as Haddo's Delight from GLP, my reference for booze-flavored VaPers. This would probably make a better early morning version but since I don't get to smoke much early in the day, I'll stick with Haddo's. Even so, this one is well worth a try and recommended for those who enjoy perique that is very noticeable but not too heavy on the palate.

zwolanek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zwolanek (18)

I smoked a bowl, then let this sit for nearly a year, then smoked about half of my two once plus sample. I'm going to leave the balance another year, maybe more, as the Virginias continue to mature.

The bourbon adds a super pouch aroma, but upon lighting, the perique fig smell dominates. As for taste, the Virginias dominate the light, but the perique flavor and aroma dominate after the first third of the bowl. It burns extremely well with little or no dottle.

Burley bites me big time, but I got no bite from this. Fair warning, though - it can get hot.

I am a big fan of Russ' Sweet and Savory, and although it looks similar, I don't taste the comparison. I prefer Sweet and Savory. For VA/PER lovers, I think this ranks right up there with Greg Pease's Haddo's Delight, but Haddo's is richer and heavier.

One thing to add - those in the know can immediately spot a Russ Ouellette blend. For the uninitiated, Frenchy's Sunza Bitches is the best example I've seen. No other blender uses this cut or delivers tobacco with this immediately-smokable humidity. Too bad we can't add photos. Tons of Russ' blends are cellaring worldwide because this guy is a master.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This is a good VaPerBur, Burley is not out front like OJK, I don't get any strong Bourbon topping but it does add some hint of McClelland Vinigar. Not cheap if you only buy a few ozs. but you do get a nice Bulk price break after ordering about 8 ozs.. Plenty of N here and the Perique is out front with a nice sweet Virgina background, not a first smoke of the day.

Update 1/24/12 - This has been cellared for almost a year and it reminds me very much of P&C's Marguee Series Sweet & Savory. SB is stronger and not as smooth, has a ton of spice. Neither of those blends have the Burley or Kentucky out front. A touch too spicey for me.

The Commoner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Commoner (30)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This was like sex with an ex for me.

I had a brief but heated fling with this stuff awhile back. At one point I was convinced this was "the one" for me.

But then I started hanging out with the Latakia crowd and trying out some other VaPers and we just sorta drifted apart. Eventually I quit calling altogether.

But today I happened on a a half a jar of it and broke it out on a whim.

Damn.

I remember now why I was so In love at one time.

Really a very nice VaBurPer

I believe this incorporates mostly C&D blending components and will not be anything ground breaking for those familiar with the likes of OJK, Haunted Bookshop, Night Train et al.

But it is very nicely done. Tastes like a sweet bright VaPer but the burley rounds it out with substance. Sort of like if you rubbed out some Escudo and threw in some Prince Albert.

Anyway, a very nicely done blend I would recommend to anyone who is at all a fan of the genre.

vinnie799 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vinnie799 (33)
Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Son of a...Oops! SUNZA BITCHES! Yessir that's what I feel about this blend. Them Sunza Bitches are right on with this one. Perique is up there nice and spicy without being hot. I think the litle bit of burley may cut it back just a little. Actually just enough to smoke it hard if ya want to and if ya smoke 'er very slowly she's sweet as a spicy nut. The Virginia in the blend makes it smooth and slightly sweet in my opinion. A rather pleasant room note too. Let me tell ya if it wasn't I'd have heard about it buy now.

There's nothing overpowering here but a great smoke in a large bowl, two in a row if you have time. I'm rating it at FOUR stars but you have to like perique to appreciate it.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)

Of the samples from pipesandcigars.com this one is, so far, the only one that I can say was pretty decent. And when I say pretty decent, I mean that it's worth finishing the two ounce sample. I'm not so sure I would order more, however.

The cut is very coarse, looking almost like the broken up flakes in the bottom of a box of Wheaties. I wasn't sure how this would pack and light,, but it really didn't give me any trouble. It lit quickly, and stayed lit with no problem. The initial burn did bite my nostrils pretty good, but once it got going it settled down. It burned clean down to the bottom of the bowl. The flavor was nowhere near as "in your face" as I've seen others describe. It was far less spicy than I had expected, and the fruitiness of the perique was pretty subdued.

This is a tobacco that may appeal to those wanting something with more flavor than the standard OTC burley blends, but don't want to have too much of an adventure. The nicotine level was pretty good, but nothing to ring my bell. And the flavor, while nowhere near blowing my socks off, was good; nothing off about it. However, I'm just not sure I would buy it again given the price. Yes, I understand that this is hand blended. But, I can easily name four or five va/per blends that would blow my socks off that cost less.

** Threw the rest out in the garbage today. Whatever small enjoyment there might have been in this, it has gone. My initial impression was that the flavor was decent, but the more I smoked this, it just got bland and boring.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

Just by the name I knew I was in for an experience with this one, and I did. Wow! Spicy Perique out the wazoo! But it works, it really works and I liked it a lot. Not for the faint of heart though, when you smoke this blend, you have taste bud OD but what a way for your tongue to go!

This blend is a rough cut of light, medium and dark brown flakes, and has a fig sweet aroma that is mouth watering. It is somewhat dry but perfect for my tastes and it packed easily into my pipe bowl and lit up quite easily. But look out, a burst of flavor! Spicy, somewhat sweet, and oh so good. I smoked it hard as I really enjoyed it and could not get enough of it, yet no bite, yes the tongue numbing taste and strength of the Cajun tobacco but no bite at all. It smoked smoked clean and dry all the way down to the bottom of my bowl with no moisture or dottle at all. It kept it's flavor to the last puff and remained creamy and smooth to the end. I have never had a blend like this before, so in your face good to smoke. I will be ordering this one in bulk and large quantities. Can you tell I highly recommend it?

Tobold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobold (7)
Strong Extremely Mild Extra Full Strong

01/06/09 - This is a "blue-collar" review from a long-time pipe smoker who is neither a connoisseur nor a gourmet. I like subtleties up to a point, beyond which I cannot detect them. There are very few aromatics that I like anymore. I love orientals, latakias, and Virginias, but burley gives me some trouble. Most of the time, I like stronger blends over weaker ones and in larger pipes than smaller ones. I have exceptions to all of the above. With that said . . .

This review is based on untinned bulk, although it is also available in tins if desired.

The tobacco is entirely brown & tan with a very faint perique aroma in the pouch. But at the match, it shouts, "Perique Is Here!" By mid-bowl, I'm having trouble tasting anything other than peppery Perique. I had a pepper stake like this once where I couldn't taste the meat! Finishes in the same manner.

VaPer lovers take note: This may be nirvana for you, but it's way too spicy for me. Believe the description!

Compares to: What?? This is the strongest perique blend I've ever tried. I prefer Renier's Long Golden Flake.

I will not be keeping this on hand, but I'm glad I tried it.

For me it rates only 3 out of 9 leaves.

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (72)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Let me start by saying "Sunza Bitches". Why do I like saying that, Sunza Bitches, ya Sunza Bitches. OK I'm done, LOL Sunza Bitches. Tastey stuff, strong yet smooth. Did'nt detect the Bourbon but there is a mild vanilla type sweetness, but not much. The Perique I did detect, in fact I think it slapped me around a little, don't tell anyone, but I liked it ! As advertised it did smoke clean and cool to the bottom of the bowl with no bite. Did I mention tastey stuff, oh ya I did. That leaves only one more thing to say.... Sunza Bitches !!!

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (111)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Uodate Russ what happened to this blend it became some flat and light I think you better just change the name to Bitches. I actually should have called you to return it but it was over the holidays.

UPDATED

Don't let the perique scare you away THis is really a rich good broad leaf Virginia blend. This blend is already pretty dry when you get it. But let it sit open for a few days. Then you can definelty taste the Burbon or Jack Daniels. This blend will not gunk up your pipe at all. Leaves a neat dry ash that taps out. The Jack & the Perique mix well and would be good with a tall glass of Jack. Like Jack Daniels not for the faint at heart a real mans blend. Once Again Good Stuff will add this to my rotation of blends. But probally more regularly. Russ maybe renaming this to Biker Delight, Open Road OR Harley's Smoke. Definetly a tough guys smoke. In the words of Sonny Corleone "Son of a Bitch!" What a smoke!!!! This is for a Virgina lover as well as the Perique Lover. Both leaves marry well in this mixture. The full ribbon cut sweet Virgina is at the top of this blend the Perique is there right behind it. The burley helps them both Virgina & Perique get along well in this marriage. There is a slight fig and black pepper flavor from the perique which comes through now and then. Keeping it interesting. The flavor dose not go flat throughout the bowl.As far a as the Jack Daniels it is there but if you take a clump and let it sit a day the Jack flavor will be more apparent but not over powering. The blend is on the dry side and a little hard to keep lit as mentoined let it dry a bit. Best to really pack the bowl tight. Nicotine level high but very very good. The JACK DANIELS helps keeps the room note less offenssive. This is the first blend that I have tried from Pipes and cigar. Very impressed with the service A++++++. I like this blend if for anything a change a pace from my everyday smoke. Tip Puff slow very slow to get the full flavor. This could be my everyday smoke but that would ruin the special treat of this blend being so unique. A must try my hat's off to Russ "Good old American ingenuity" This is a true American New classic. Only made in America.

OTRFF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OTRFF (44)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Sunza Bitches! Hell it's just fun to say if nothin else! This is a great tobacco. I didn't feel like the perique was overpowering at all. It is most definately there but it mixes well with the Virginia and the Burley. I didn't pick up much of the burbon but it does have a very slight sweet note to it. I didn't get any bite from this one, just a little peppery on the tongue from the perique. Salute Frenchy!!

Update 04-27-08 Went ahead and bought a pound of this. Good stuff, it will be a regular part of my rotation.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Tried this at Frenchy's recomendation, and boy was I glad..... The smell is of a wonderful Vanilla, bourbon topping- Mixed with the figgy spiceness of perique. And there is perique..... this kinda reminded me of a topped Haddo's Delight...Strong enough to use caution. yet flavorfull enough to throw caution to the wind and keep puffin..... Cool smoke, no bite,- Great flavor.....there are no down sides.... Try it and enjoy the view..... **Update- This lost a star as it doesn't seem to age well....Better fresh.....Still love ya Frenchy...:)

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (74)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

With so many VAPers being replicas of each other this is a nice twist.

Images evoked include a plate from a Chinese buffet overcoated with sweet and sour sauce and a dash of tobasco.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Whoooo! Perique to the max in this blend. This tobacco is peppery for sure. If you like perique in large doses, which I don't, this stuff is for you! I love perique in a blend, but on a much smaller scale such as with Solani 633 or something of that sort. This is a pleasant smoking tobacco but I couldn't really detect the presence of the Wild Turkey used in it's topping. If it was there, the perique covered it up entirely.

Not my cup of tea.

bronxbill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bronxbill (10)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I received a sample of this blend along with a pipe purchase. I found it to be a very enjoyable tobacco. The very light burbon topping and the burley really smooth out the taste.

I did not find the perique to be overpowering just a good counterpoint to the virginia. Nicotine is moderate; I found it very tolerable I immediately ordered more of this tobacco and plan to keep it on hand

Elric Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elric (34)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant

This blend took me by surprise. Despite the marketing suggesting massive amounts of Perique, I found SB to be a very well balanced VaPer with virtually no bite. The burley adds just the right counterpoint to what is obviously first-rate Virginia leaf. The bourbon isn't over-the-top either and mellows the whole concoction a bit. It does pack a not insignificant amount of nicotine for those accustomed to stronger blends. However, it doesn't produce any adverse reactions that typically accompany such fare.

Russ' blends are sort of hit-or-miss with me but this one is most certainly out of the park. Well done indeed.