A great sliced Burley, earthy, light, lovely.

BrandPeretti
ContentsBurley
Strength
Taste
Full
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable
3.2
LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (59)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I'm amazed that this blend only has 4 reviews IMHO this one of the best burleys in the market the flake is easy to work with it comes at a perfect moisture from the store, the flavor is very earthy the nicotine level is just right. If I was incline to do so this could make it as the only burley blend I would buy.

Mister Moo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mister Moo (11)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant

I am too cheap to buy Somerset online but, if I lived near Peretti's and walked by the place every once in a while, I'd pick an ounce now and again. It's like smoked salmon - nice for an occasional Sunday breakfast but not a steady diet (unless you're a grizzly bear).

If it wasn't for Stonehaven and MacBaren's Navy Flake I wouldn't smoke much burley but Somerset, the thinnest cut flake I've ever seen, is a cut above, burley-wise. Rubbed out to a rough consistency it breaks up well enough to stuff and folded up a bit it'll fill a pipe and burn fine. There is a hint of citrus that comes in and out for me throughout the pipe; what I presume is fresh tabak has a hint of an edge that is distant from harsh but it does ask you to smoke slow or suggests a bite. I haven't had any that is aged but I expect it would soften a bit. Trapped with me in the car Mrs. Moo said it smelled quite nice but, after a week of Penzance, she might have said old kitty litter would smell nice. She is a skillful critic, however, so I rated the room note "pleasant."

I like full-bodied, medium strength smokes. This one is right there. I'd love to try some that has rested for a year or three.

'Baccy'Ho Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
'Baccy'Ho (10)

First off, I like burley. Somerset Slice is a very well done, and well presented burley flake. Like many burleys, it isn't for the inexperienced pipe smoker. It is pretty strong in nicotine for those used to lighter english blends, lighter VA's or aromatics. If you smoke this too fast, it could spin your head, and ruin the bottom of the bowl. Best smoked with a slow cadence. Just coaxing the bowl to stay lit. (true pipe smoking technique applies here) This blend reminds me much of Edgeworth Sliced which I have a good stash of. I'm glad I was pointed at this blend. It will serve as a replacement in my rotation so I don't deplete my stock of Edgeworth. My 2 oz sample came to me a bit moist for my taste, I prefer to rub the flake to a course chunky consistency and let dry for a short time. 30-45 mins depending on the humidity here. The reward is a good flavorful burley smoke. What more could you ask from a bowl of 'baccy?

bh

hillbillypalate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hillbillypalate (20)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Awfull!! I am just experimenting Perettis Blend but this one is not for me. Very strong I was not enjoying every puff of this smoke. It had a taste of dirty wet rags. I couldnt finish the bowl just smoke 1/4 of it and tossed it out.

gnossos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gnossos (39)

This has launched me into the world of burleys, so perhaps since this is my first burly you should take my review with a grain of salt, or perhaps I should say nothing.

It is delicious and nutty. The flavor is not overwhelming but it can produce voluminous smoke which can be thick on the tongue. Apparently this is not an easy tobacco to come by, it is more expensive by a couple of dollars per ounce than the other blends, but extremely enjoyable. I will miss it until I can get it again (they were out, last I checked).

This is one that shines mid-bowl to finish. The first few puffs are somewhat less than astounding, but once you settle into it, it gets pretty darn good. The slices are thin and easy to rub out. I like to fold one up for the bottom of the bowl and then rub out another or two for the top portion.

I had originally rated this a three star, as I hadn't had a ton of experience in the burly department, but now I'm changing it to four. An incredibly good tobacco. The last I got came in strips as opposed to small rectangles, but the quality remained the same and I hope they always have this on hand.