A rather complex smoke, strong, full bodied, but sweet and delicious. Perfect for days on the boat or as an after-dinner smoke.

BrandBrookline News and Gifts
ContentsVirginia, Perique
Packagingtin
Strength
Medium to Strong, Strong
None Detected, Medium to Strong
Taste
Medium to Full, Full
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
Dave Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dave (15)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

This stuff is wonderful. Very mellow and tasty. Brookline News and Gifts has changed hands from what I understand but still continue to sell Boston Harbor. The previous owner knew his stuff when it came to pipe tobacco. I don't know if they would mail it to those interested; they would have to contact them directly but I recommend anyone who likes VA/Per mixtures to try this blend and even those who do not normally like VA/Per, give this stuff a try.

gnossos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gnossos (39)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is, as far as I am aware, only availble in-store in Brookline News and Gifts in Brookline, MA. The guy there really knows his stuff, there is a great selection of pipes and tobaccos (and likely some aged tins as well - I read somewhere that he once found tins that were 15 years old). And everything there has a good price. This is the blend that he makes his personal choice - I think that this is the only blend he makes that comes in a tin, the rest is in bulk in glass jars, and those are certainly worth note as well. Not to mention Peretti's is just a few T stops away, so there's a couple of local pipe stores you can check out in one visit to the city!

This is an extremely tasty tobacco, full-bodied but sweet. You'll certainly know you're smoking it when you smoke it. I can be tough to light, it is pretty moist out of the tin, but is worth the effort. It almost threatens a tongue bite, but it's an extremely pleasant sensation - think how Laphroaig will make your gums feel numb if you swish it around you mouth. I happen to love that feeling, and I equate that with the feeling that this tobacco can give your tongue. Speaking of Laphroaig, a glass of that goes quite well. This tobacco burns extremely slow.

This is going to be a permanent fixture for me, I think. It's great for long walks or a scotch after dinner, and everything in between. Enjoy!

edit: upon further smoking, the "threatens tongue bite" comment is rendered, for me, null and void. Maybe I got a strong batch that first time, maybe I wore my tongue out on other tobaccos, who knows, but smoked gently this is a glorious tobacco and that issue does not arise.