Rich, ripe, red leaf forms the base of this wonderful Virginia blend. The flavors are deep and round, with a smooth, natural sweetness, and subtle notes of orange peel, roasted oats, leather and peat. The smoke develops richness as it progresses, delivering a long, clean finish, that is never cloying or syrupy, with hints of malt and grapefruit. For lovers of darker, natural, unstoved Virginias.

Notes: The Gregory Pease website mentions just a trace of Latakia - Laurel Heights was released in March, 2006.

BrandG. L. Pease
BnB Tobacco
Strength
Taste

3.1

Review based on a one ounce sample. Nice brown ribbon cut with the heady bag aroma of good virginia. A little sweetness, a little spice. Lighting up brought an immediate sense of a well balanced blend. I won't over-analyze this, as Greg's description is perfect. There was a nice mix of light sweetness (orange rather than lemon) with leather and oats. I can't really say that I taste latakia but a virginia blend usually doesn't bring this leathery perception with it.

This reminds me of Telegraph Hill without the perique. It's almost as if Pease created this as a base and then added the perique to create TH. Very close kissing cousins. I prefer TH because of the salty perique but this one is still a 4 star blend. Does not mix with a single malt scotch because this one is too complex. It doesn't tire the smoker out with complexity but it requires too much of one's attention to mix with a complex drink. Goes great with a cola :). If you like virginias that are lightly sweet and perfectly balanced between light and dark, this is definitely one to try. Occasional rotation for me but something I'll enjoy when I do fire it up.

Ian Weeks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ian Weeks (36)

It is a rare occasion that I review a blend after only a few weeks, or even a few months of smoking it. Notice my past reviews and you will find that it is my habit to smoke a blend for on average six months to a year, or even more before having anything to put to letters about it.

Laurel Heights was an easy exception.

Red VA?s are my favorite among the spectrum, and so LH was very easy for me to enjoy. The leaf quality is as usual for a GLP blend ?bar none.? The ribbon cut is none too dry or too moist direct from a freshly opened tin. The aroma is a combination of fresh VA, and I would be remiss if I did not add that I detect something different. My olfactory senses do not place it as being Cyprian Latakia, and though that is exactly what it is I do believe that the marriage of the tiny amount of Cyprian Latakia has had the affect of the VA?s lovingly imparting their own fine influence upon the fragrant bouquet of the Latakia, not unlike how Latakia- when applied with a heavy hand can influence other components in a blend.

How does the bowl develop one might ask? From first light to tamp and relight it is quite clear that this is a quality blend, there is no hot acrid flavor that I get from some blends during the char light- a testament to the quality leaf.

Once things get going there is of course the sweetness of the VA?s releasing their sugars into the vapor trail and through my nostrils, but by far the most fascinating aspect to me of LH is that the unusual and wonderful aroma (barely detectable as Latakia, indeed I wouldn?t have known were I not told) has transformed by combustion into something else. Like a fleet of French Horns in the distance drawing nearer- louder. The VA?s have not only blossomed, they shout forth ?I am here! I am sweet!?

Remarkably, the character of this blend has done what no other blend that I have sampled has ever done. It has made VA?s taste better. I find this to be a feat of extraordinary skill and talent delivered to us by Mr. Gregory Pease, a blend worthy of the gods, made by a man, to be enjoyed by all.

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)

If you like red Va then this is for you. I was pleasently surprised by the nice tin aroma. Smells like good Va tobacco and not vinegar.

I used to really enjoy Mclelland #27 but this Pease blend is so much more refined and is ready to go out of the tin. Great for the much anticipated smoke break. If you have one of the peterson mini calabash pipes you need to put this in it. It gets you a quick nicotine fix even in that small dose.

I find Greg's tin descriptions to be dead on. This one is no exception. Some criticize him for being too poetic, I see how one could be inspired from these tobacco's myself. I do detect the grapefruit undertones- or is it orange blossom. Not overly complex but not one dimensional either.

The tobac also lights up easily and burns very well. I would reccomend this out of a 3/4" diameter bowl, or perhaps smaller.

The nicotine is potent and uplifting. Not really an evening smoke for me but a good mid day one.

Anyway I found something much more refined to satisfy my va cravings in this blend. This one is worth a shot for anyone who likes or loves rich red Va without the perique. I don't smoke this all the time but when I want something of the sort nothing else does it like this. I hate stoved Va- that kills the flavor and makes it bite, this is it's purest unstoved form.

Aparently Greg has simillar tastes to my own and maybe thats why I find his blends so intriguing. At any rate the man knows his tobacco's. Another plus is that the tins are ALWAYS sent at the moisture level that is perfect for the smoking, and the tins are so full they could not possibly hold more.

So I guess if you read this far you know I would reccomend this to a fellow brother of the pipe. Why risk a perfect chance to smoke on a less than perfect tobacco?

topdogue Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
topdogue (11)

The whole Fog City collection is dificult to classify. The overall concept is variations of Virginia mixtures, but in a robbon-cut form. The temptation is to compare them to flakes, which would be a mistake. They are almost a genre unto themselves. It is interesting to read how the tiny smidgeon of Latakia in this mixtre has the attention of so many pipe smokers. To all who want to try this mixture I recommend letting it sit in the tin for at least a month and two months is better. C&D who blends glp mixtures is a small operation and do not have room to cellar tobaccos, hence when you get it, the tobaccos are still getting to know each other. The mixtures from overseas have been sitting around in their tins smoothing out for some time before whe apply the match to them. I let my Laural Heights sit for a month and then smoked it. I smoke a wide variety of diferent mixtures and didn't detect the Latakia. This is a very "round" VA mixture with medium complexity, but the sterling quality i like is the richness and creaminess of the smoke. Not a knock you over richness, but that subtle richness that is slightly sweet with no pepperiness (sometimes called spiciness) that allows me to smoke it all day without tongue fatigue. I will be bying more for the cellar as Virginias just get better and better with age. I suspect our friend with the one star rating smoked his LH when it was just made. In a perfect world, all tobaccos would be aged like single malt scotch (BTW, Macallan is primo with LH), but alas, we must do the aging ourselves. This mixture is highly recommended for VA lovers as an all-day smoke and as an alternative to heavier flakes.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (138)

[Stan once again, lost to us for a while, after bouts with a genie chasing him for one of Pease's Fog City blends, an afterlift experience with another of the Fog City's, and, of course, Katrina (hopefully not a name ever for a blend)]:

Stan: Ahhhh. I'm on my second tin. This new Fog City is pure delight. Mostly red ribbon virginia, with a little brown and bright, and a schrapnel of latakia for background. It rivals the best of the reds. Red Ribbon, red cake, Scottish Ribbon, Wingfield, Scottish Cake, etc., and will probably soon out distance them. It has enough of the natural tartness of a true red ribbon without being real sweet, robustness near Owner's Choice (precursor of red Ribbon), and coolness of Royal Yacht. Best yet is is a very good packer and burner. Dry as the day is long.

Oh, what's that sound? It looks like an orb or saucer. Oh my God!

Klato: Descending from the disc a little green creature emerges. Earthling, "Take me to your...." Hmmmm (antenna twiching). What's that aroma my scensors detect?

Stan: Laurel Heights, Master Pease's newest incantation of pipe weed. Sweet. Cool. Shy of stout but plenty of body. Mesmerizing in delights of scent, taste, and texture!

Klato: "Take me to your blender!"

Stan: Never. Give me Laurel Heights or give me death. (Puffing at the visitors delicate antenna.)

Klato: You earthlings are too aggressive. I will return to my planet. This Laurel heights weapon is too advanced for us. My antenna are twisted. It makes you too strong. One day we must discover its secret.

Stan: Wow! Earth is saved thanks to Laurel Heights. Go get some before the Martians return to steal it all.

Greg and Craig, watch the skies. Watch the skies. Next time it won't be a warehouse fire. It'll be a ray gun from Mars.

Obviously, highly recommended to all virginia lovers but not to aliens. A little aging will bring out the reds more -- our little secret from the Martians.

Printed with blessings from Wells.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Pease Pilgrimage Reviews (a tasting journey through every GLPease blend) Tin date: 01/19/10 – opened and jarred 03-07-10

Aroma: The tin aroma is nice and mild, with a typical Virginia grassiness accompanied by a light sweetness that makes it very pleasant. I have read that there is a hint of Latakia in this blend, and I do notice what looks like a very few dark flakes in there, but I can't detect it in the aroma.

Appearance: Many of Pease's blends have this pseudo-ribbon-flat cut that is somewhat unique. The tobacco is a beautiful golden brown-orange, with the extremely occasional darker fleck of something…maybe the Latakia if it's really in there? It's somewhat dry in the tin which I very much appreciate, and which I am finding is quite typical for Pease blends.

Pipe 1: Meer Bent Billiard Pipe 2: Stanwell Billiard Pipe 3: Chubby Savinelli Author Pipe 4: Small no-name bent Dublin, a good Virginia flake pipe

Flavor: This one certainly has some potential. I'm beginning to believe that most of Pease's primarily VA blends need some aging, and this one is no exception, but like barrel tasting an ancient vines Zin that won't be released for two more years, I can tell Laurel Heights is a winner.

The primary characteristic is earth. This is back to nature tobacco with lots of – you guessed it – tobacco flavor. I can taste the dry grass on a south-facing November hillside, a very mild sweetness inherent in a good VA leaf, and the very earth which nourished the tobacco plants. It seems very temperature dependent, changing its flavors and characteristics with slight changes in puffing cadence. The flavors vary from earthy and musty to toasty and warm. There is a slightly unpleasant harshness in my nose and throat no matter which pipe I'm using, but that's one of those things that will disappear with some age. The bottom 20% offers some very toasty flavors which I have experienced in the Meer and the Author.

If I were to compare this to Union Square, I would call Laurel Heights more austere and less forgiving (technique is crucial and it tends to heat up the briar a bit), but still slightly complex and at least as interesting. The website description states that it delivers a “long, clean finish” with which I concur. There is no particular residue or cloying, lingering aftertaste. But it also states that this is for lovers of “darker, unstoved Virginias.” Perhaps it is darker than some others, but this is not a “dark” tobacco by a long shot.

It's got a good nicotine punch, and I almost never feel vitamin N. Other than a couple relights primarily due to my negligence, the light and burn are flawless, and it reduces to a pure ash. A very nicely done Virginia, and one I will buy more of for aging just to see if my premonitions are correct. Three stars, and the most enjoyable blend so far in this “Virginia – VaPer” chapter of the Pilgrimage. I'm hoping and waiting for Mr. P to come out with a dark, stoved, rich competitor to FVF or Wessex Brigade Campaign.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin: With a mahogany hue, LH looks and smells like Montgomery, though less golden VA, a little less sweet and more wheat in character. The tobacco was just pliable, but not dry; and certainly not sticky. This is an all natural VA. Tin date: 081706

Packing & Lighting: One thing: it seemed to require several relights down the bowl, but develops almost no moisture in the shank or stem.

Taste & Aroma: Similar to Montgomery, but not as good somehow. I think perhaps Montie is sweeter. I can see malt or roasted oats, but like the term wheat. LH is a bit flat, or one dimensional. As soft and mild as Montie is, LH is even more so; yes, creamy, but a little too soft. I could just about inhale LH, something I rarely do with tobacco.

Nicotine: Oddly, compared to the very light creaminess of the taste and aroma, LH seems to be a notch higher in nicotine, mild to medium. This may be because of inhaling more second-hand smoke, due to the mildness. Subsequent bowls range up to strong, on average, rather strong.

Overall: Having smoked Montgomery before LH, first impressions lingering, if I had to choose, I'd stick with Montie, though I'm not sure in a blind taste test I could tell much difference, discounting LH having more nicotine. 3.7 stars

Some have accused me of working for Greg because of my mostly favorable reviews, but it is not true. I do not want Greg for President, nor Congress, nor Senate. I want him to continue to be an artist and scientist of tobacco leaf blending. This blend is another example of his informed artistry.

Appearance and Aroma: Yes, this is definitely a "red" VA blend with a speck of Latakia visible every now and then. It smells earthy and musty. The latakia can be noticed in the tin, but it is ever so slight. The leaf has the look of top quality. It is oily and pliable, looks very fresh. The cut is a broad ribbon with an ocassional square cut and, of course, little specks of the refugee from the island of Cyprus.

Packing and Lighting:Moisture is perfect out of the tin. Just pack as usual and light. 2-3 lights max.

Initial Flavor: This is where I was surprised. I expected somethin akin to Hal'O the wind or MacCranie's Red Ribbon, but instead was introduced to an earthy, rich, round flavor that is distictly "red".

Mid-Bowl:This blend is very flavorful and naturally aromatic. The blend gets into the "zone" easily and the latakia is definitely just for support. At this point, you also get occassional burst of sweetness that are never cloying or syrupy.

Bottom of Bowl:The strength builds nicely, but never like HOW's knock out punch. The ash is dry and grey. There can be a little excess moisture in the shank, but that is not uncommon with many excellent blends.

Ovarall: Yes, this is another masterpiece that Greg has blended. It is not one that I will smoke on a regular basis because my preference is still in the Balkan/English range. And, yet, my cellar will not be without a few tins of this blend, as a matter of fact, this will displace HOW in my rotation. The flavor spectrum is in the mid to low of the red VA range and the minute amount of latakia truly plays as a condiment and compliment here. My suggestion is that you get some now...

runamuck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
runamuck (5)

This is the best red Virginian smoke I have ever had. It is a straight tobacco with nice toasted flavorsand some wonderful nuttiness i just can't get enough of. Out of the can smells just like a good straight tobacco, feels a bit dry but thats very decieving its actually quite moist. I've been looking for a great red virginian for a lot of years so glade i found this one.

Side note: for me this is the ultimate hunting smoke. Al i can think of when smoking this is fall, leaves, cool mountain air, venison backstraps on the camp fire, and the joy of the coming winter with its wood smoke and spooning.

Pipe Used: nording handmade

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (41)

Though I like newly minted Laurel Heights just fine, the lot I am smoking now has 5 years on it, and age certainly helps it. Young or old, LH lights and burns well right from the tin, but it works better for me if I first rub it out, to take some of the spring out of it, and to avoid the effects of expansion as it lights. The VAs used for LH are mostly full and include some fairly piquant leaf, as VA goes. Perhaps it's because of this, but I prefer LH from a small-ish, narrow pipe, and - above all - take it S-L-O-W. By starting slowly and "adapting to taste", one has a fair chance of enjoying a personalized version of the myriad tastes and scents that Pease describes (above). Otherwise, you're on your own, and it may get hot and/or harsh. It took me a while, but I've come to love this stuff. Still, know that LH is decidedly "tobacco forward", and it's not a candy-ass VA. As for the smattering of Latakia, either it does not factor or it helps. In any case, I have no problems with LH that I could ascribe to Latakia. Regarding the "strength" of LH, the nicotine here is of the stealth variety. You might not notice it until you're done; but by then it's well above "medium". Likewise, the aroma is richer than "medium", but not at all strong and, if you smoke it right, the rich and interesting tastes also build to more than "medium".

Summing, I'm glad I stuck with Laurel Heights long enough to enjoy much of what Pease goes on about, along with my own variations. It was somewhat of a challenge early on; but now it is on my favorites list, thus worthy of 4 stars from me.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (75)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

My first bowl of this was a bit of a suprise and also somewhat disappointing. The citris flavours were a bit bitter initially to be completely honest....but.... after a bunch more bowls its really grown on me. There's a real complexity to this and it has the usual "GLP's" finest tobacco in the world look and feel. Burns well and reasonable nicotine Yes i am a GLP fan but i dont love all of his offerings. Three stars at the moment and we will see after the the other half of the tin. This tobacco has a very luxurious taste to it.

Tin finish, up to 4.

BigFrank Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigFrank (4)

I must start off by saying I am a sucker for Mr. Pease's Tobaccos. The quality of the tobacco is always top notch, and the tobacco always seems to arrive in perfect smoking moisture. With that being said, Laurel Heights is a top notch VA smoke. The tin says there is Latakia in this blend, but it's it the distant background. You get small hints of it when one takes a big whiff of the tin aroma. I find that it gives the Red Virginia's just a little bit of a smoky edge. This works well with the Red Virginia's. After a charring light this tobacco burned cleaned all the way to the bottom of the bowl. It's flavor packed, but not a powerhouse. Unlike most Virginia's it doesn't smoke hot and does not produce a ton of moisture, which I find most do for me. Laurel Heights is one of my go-to VA blends due to these reasons.

daidunno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
daidunno (9)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I don't think that I can add to what others have said, so I will just say that I enjoyed this blend. I wish that for this, as well as some other blends, that there was a way to give it partial stars, as I think that this is a bit better than just recommended, but I cannot quite give it four stars.

Update on 5 November 2007: After smoking this once in a while, but lately more often than not, I have to update to 4 stars. It is great when you're in the mood for it. It's equally good in small through large bowled pipes, but gets very intensely flavored, and strong nicotine-wise, in larger bowls halfway down or so, even more so than many blends. Great in any sized bowl, depending on your preference or mood.

billb3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
billb3 (17)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Not too much to add really. See the most favourable reviews. For a while I thought Pease didn't know his way around a virginia. this series proves me wrong. Nice easy burning, easy packing ribbon cut. Great tobacco. Rich, sweet, complex. The latakia supports the virginia and adds a bit of depth and cmplexity. This is GGGGGGGGreat.

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)

The tin aroma of the wide-cut ribbon is of nutty and sweet red virginias, behind which slight amounts of latakia is noticeable. Though cut for wide gauge chambers, this performed best when chopped to varying degrees in order to pair with the narrower chambers for which this blend seems suited.

The red virginia, while lacking aggression, is subtle and deep with tones of toasted crusts and baked sugars . The wafting of latakia lends adds stolidity and presence.

Unassuming, yet elegant, this is a charming and nuanced blend. Aging is highly recommended. This was best in narrow to medium gauge chambers.

Ben Rich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ben Rich (34)
Mild None Detected Full Very Pleasant

This is my "reading" smokes - what I like to smoke while sitting back and reading one of Patrick O'Brian's Jack Aubry and Stephen Maturin sea novels. LH packs very easy and tamps down with a springiness to it before lighting. Obviously quality tabacco - wondeful fresh smell while still in the tin. On lighting, the initial taste for me is slightly bitter and slightly "woody". Perhaps the woody taste is GL Pease's term for "peat"; nevetheless, it is very satisfying. As the smoke developes, the bitterness (which is somewhat akin to bitter beer hops) disappears and the smooth natural virginia flavors kick in. This is an excellent tobacco and I believe it would be ideal for breaking in a new pipe. It doesn't burn too hot, it remains lit without constant puffing, burns perfectly evenly throughout and finishes with a fine whitish ash - and its flavor is fantastic. I have several tins stockpiled and will order more. I highly recommend this tobacco.

Wetheel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wetheel (4)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Laurel Heights made me feel like a rich man.

Not every pipeful, and not all the way through the tin, but in two or three smokes it just pushed the right buttons. The strong top note in the aroma is almost floral, the smoke feels and tastes good in the mouth, and the support in the middle is (not a word I like to use) perfect. The bottom notes are well in the background. This is simply a brilliant blend.

Two things I'll do differently next time: look for a discount, and don't scrabble around in the jar to get the last bits. The Latakia crumbles more than the Virginias, and at the bottom of the container the balance of the blend comes unstuck. But hey, a rich man can afford to throw out a teaspoonful of tobacco.

Subdude Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Subdude (1)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Unlike most reviewers, I find GLP's blends to be a little bitey on the tongue. This could be due to my smoking habits, and I have learned to "sip" his blends carefully to avoid bite. This is not the case with Laurel Heights. I made my charring light gingerly, hoping to avoid that initial sting, but it never came. Instead, I got a moutful of creamy, sweet smoke. The beginning of the bowl had some nose tingle that pleasantly offset the sweetness. Mid bowl became slightly nutty, but never bitter. The ending was very mild and dry, and left me wanting another bowl immediately. There was no dottle at all. It smoked down to a fine gray ash.

All that said, this is a terrible, terrible smoke. Don't buy any...at least not until I've stocked up;)

Aaaah, finally I can give my review, too! It took me a bit longer than usual, but finally I managed open to smoke almost a whole tin of the new GLPease offering!

The content of the tin is similar in cut and moisture to the latest Fog City offerings, maybe a little more stringy and broadly cut. The color is an orangish tan, vaguely similar to Cairo and very even. The dark latakia bits are very few and far in between, and on the nose I don't detect their presence. Packing is regular as usual, no... a little better. It doesn't clog airholes like other blends in the Fog City selection did!

Taste-wise, I think it's the boldest so far in the collection. It's not as sweet as I would expect from a red virginia blend (but maybe I am used to McClelland's red virginias, which are extra sweet), and at times it can be even a bit bitterish. But not "bad bitterness", more like the woody bitterness you can find in a cigar. Of course it's fruity, tart, with cinnamon notes and even an impression of "toastiness" which I can't explain. It sure is a tasty blend, while the last ones were good but at times too subtle and delicate. I taste resemblances of Tribute and Cairo, while of course there is no Perique: the same rich and slightly "dirt" taste (meaning that it's not "fake" and artificially "polished"), very natural and genuine.

The biggest complaint I have is that it's a tiny bit stronger than I prefer, and at the end of a medium bowl I have a slight nicotine overload (not much, but noticeable). But this is a common thing with many Classic Series non-latakia Pease blends... while funnily the other ones in the Fog City selection are very light.

I still prefer other red virginias (especially some McClellands in flake form... when will Greg make a flake?) and in the Fog City selection of course the spectacular Montgomery is still a notch ahead, but this one is robust, good and "different". I already have some more tins away for aging...

mrmcmc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mrmcmc (15)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The Bordeaux Of Tobacco Blends. Like a Chateau Latour, or a Chateau Margaux, or an Opus One, the Creme De La Creme. This is the one.

Complex, distictly layered tastes among intertwining flavors!! Full bodied, unique, elegant, naturally aromatic, and Did I Say Flavorful!!!!

Dare I say the tobacco to end all tobaccos? With no offense meant to anyone!

Further, this tobacco smells so good in the tin you may not want to smoke it, but when you do, you will swear you died and went to tobacco heaven.

This is flavorful top to bottom, and fairly explodes upon the palate the way a fine red wine will, deep and dense, broad and full, luxurious and rich. With just enough sweetness from the Virginias to make this blend really sing. A true symphony of flavors.

And like a fine red wine, this is a blend to be savored, to be enjoyed leisurely, as you would not want to rush this. You absolutely would not want to miss out on the interplay and intertwining of the amazingly delicious flavors and aromas headed your way.

And by way of an extra bonus, the nicotine level is quite manageable. Just enough to let you know it is there, but no more.

As previously noted here, I too can only imagine the effect that aging would have on this blend.

Mr. Pease, Kudos To You, you have really done it this time. But alas, how do you top this?

Highly recommended! In fact, this is so highly recommended that it is off the charts. 100 out of 10!!!!

Happy smoking!!!

VAman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
VAman (26)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

This new pease blend is a comlpex and developing smoke, with a long and wonderful finish, the fist quarter of the bowl is good but unremarkable, so as i began to brace my self for disapointment the flavor set in and i proceeded to smoke four more bowls of this delightful blend. this blend burns well and i highly recomend using a large pipe. in packing LH you will think that your pipe is very full until the false light and tamping at wich time you'll see it is only two thirds full. relax and savor it slowly. I cant wait to see what some age does with this blend.

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

The red Virginia is tangy and citrusy sweet. I see a little brown Virginia in here, and that must be what gives it the grass and earth (peat) notes. There is a tinge of orange, but I don't get grapefruit at all. The latakia is barely noticeable, though it adds some smoke and wood. So, it has a little complexity, mostly subtle, but fairly pleasing. Stacked up against other blends in this genre, I find it wanting not because of the lack of strength so much as none of the flavors stands out with enough depth to entice me to buy more. It's a nice all day smoke for the beginner.

1badmotorfinger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
1badmotorfinger (4)
Medium to Strong Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Being a new pipe smoker this was the first "real tobacco" I purchased after buying a pouch of captain black which BTW was a terrible tobacco to start off with. I for the most part enjoyed this but I am a uber novice without a lot of exposure yet to many types and/or blends. Tin note reminded me of chewing tobacco; basically a sweet natural tobacco smell. The flavor was fairly mild and tasted like what I would consider a true tobacco with a slight sweetness. The first bowl I had was in a brand-new poker style pipe I picked up when buying the tin and I overdid it (mainly with my pace) and got a little "green" from it. After a few days I smoked several more bowls and have enjoyed it for the most part. No tongue bite so far and it seems to smoke fine using either traditional or frank style of pack. Stays lit pretty well too.

kaizoku Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kaizoku (11)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

A rather bland tobacco with a slightly sweet taste. the cut was very good tho!

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Strong

Updated 12 /17/2013- This tobacco has been opened ,sealed and cellared for a year and I just retried it in a tall cob. Results, very interesting changes. The Grapefruit taste is much more subdued and in the background but the "Orange peel" taste is way out front and lasts the whole bowl. Most Orange flavors tend to dissipate after a 1/4 bowl, but this stayed. It wasn't a sickening topped Orange, but rather that bitter Orange "twist" that I like in my drink. I would buy this again.

I later decided to try the blend in a "Bulldog Briar", not as interesting, it lost all of the fruit nuances, became more malty/peaty. If only this experience, I wouldn't buy this again as I found it boring.

Not to stop my "experiments", I pulled out a short "clay". This had little improvement over the Briar but did have some subtle fruit nuances in the side stream, but not in the taste.

Overall , my advice would be to smoke this in a cob or don't bother smoking this at all ! I probably will buy this again As it reminds me of Briar Fox , a nice "base note " Virginia.

Original review 11/2012 The description says "Grapefruit"! and that's what you get on the initial light, very interesting and a refreshing bright flavor. This fades as you get down the bowl with only occasional whiffs of the Grapefruit, I never get the malt? The Virginias are good quality , Mature and closer to a "Brown Flake". The wife left the room with the scent, saying it was horrible . This isn't bad, but I like my Virginias a little sweeter and with a scent that doesn't send people running . I believe the Virginias are the same used in Union Sq. I'll finish the tin, outside in the cold, but I won't buy more.

Oh, I just noticed the Latakia listed in this blend, couldn't taste it? But now I know why the wife ran.

Pipe Used: Cob Briar clay

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Similar Blends: C&D Briar Fox.

butman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butman (41)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

I really enjoy this family of tobaccos. This one does not lead the pack because it is not as complex or interesting as the Filmore, Telegraph Hill, Lombard or Stratford. I still go through a pound of it a year because it is so darned good with a blended Scotch. Well, I guess most of the Fog City series goes well with Scotch. Cheers, this is a nice simple and flavorful tobacco.

Esoxhunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Esoxhunter (60)

When I was in grade school, one of my teachers gave each student a small square of paper and told us to put it in our mouths. (Yes, this was in the 60's, but no, she hadn't come directly from Woodstock). Half the class found the taste salty, while the other half found it sweet.

The reviews of this blend kind of show the same pattern--lots of 4 stars and 1 or 2 stars, I'm afraid I fall in the latter camp. I'm a big GLP fan, and I like all of the other blends in the Fog City line, but in all honesty this one didn't quite do it for me. I found the tin aroma flat and nondescript, and the favor followed suit. As straight Virginias go, I like the Union Square much better. But I'll revist after the LH gets some age on it.

kylepoet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kylepoet (18)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I smoked this when it was quite young, right after Mr. Pease released it. It was good then, however... I cellared a number of tins; this is based on one dated 4-18-06.

Wow. What five years can do. This is a rich, confident, gentlemanly tobacco. I smoked it fairly well dried, still springy, but with a slight crispness to it. From the start, this was a real Virginia. The Latakia has mellowed tremendously over the past half-decade, giving the blend enough solid underpinning to allow the unstoved reds to sparkle. The smoke was gorgeous from first match to the bottom of the bowl. Laurel Heights, at five years old, is a creme brulee smoke. Water with this, though I think a decent cognac would be a good compliment.

Excellent, as every Pease I have in my rotation. I do have enough Laurel Heights stocked to do this again in another five years. Until then, I will thoroughly enjoy this tin. A definite four of four stars.

Pipe-arazzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe-arazzo (71)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This review is based on a five-year-old tin.

I found this tobacco to perform best when dried out extensively and packed tightly (ala the Frank Method).

This is a pleasant smoke, consisting, of course, of the finest quality tobaccos. It burns evenly and has a decent, satisfying nicotene content. And as for value, I got almost 30 smokes from it (compare that to around 15 in the same pipe rotation for Sam Gawith flakes).

However, to me there is nothing special about the composition. It is a fine example of a run-of-the-mill genre, in my view. Just a grassy, earthy, very slightly sweet flavor, with an added subtle smokiness from the latakia. That may be heaven to some smokers, but not my cup of tea. I need more sweetness, and especially needed is some spice and a rounder, more leathery flavor, or perhaps some brightness.

Briarfire007 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarfire007 (10)

2/23/11- I've had this in a jar since 2007. Been smoking it the last 2 weeks. It's ok. There is no topping; an all natural smoke. I like the ribbon cut of this blend. Makes packing and smoking pretty easy. I found it behaved nicely and did not bite. I know that not all VAs are sweet, but I always found myself expecting this one to show some sweetness. It hasn't happened yet. It was a little bland. Not a bright VA flavor. It's nice to try for something different than your typical VA experience. I have decided to cellar it again for now and will give it a try down the line. Just not very tasty IMO right now.

Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

This is one of the best Virginias blends on the market, and definitely the best from GLPease (I've been ageing a tin of Union Square that I haven't tried yet, so that might change, although I doubt it. Laurel Heights is that good).

Most GLPease Virginias are high quality but I find them too mild, almost lacking taste. That is not the case with LH. Telegraph Hills is also tasteful, but this one is richer and darker.

Not only the best Virginia from GLPease, but also the only one that I've given 4 stars.

Marshall Law Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Marshall Law (50)

A quality tobacco that lights and burns fine. Hints of citrus fruit noted; however...easily becomes harsh, can be angry on the tongue with almost no provocation...and..the overwhelming core of the experience is consistently an ashy bitterness in every puff. Smooth natural sweetness? Hell no, not from this cross weed. Sawdust and ash afertaste doesn't add to the experience either. It's not hard to find a far tastier VA. Pass.

vaperfavour Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vaperfavour (30)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

cracked a tin a month ago and i must say this is becoming terribly good, smooth, no bite, the latakia is still there and pops in and out of the smoke, great for when you just want to relax while puffing away. Three years has done this blend wonders. I did not like it when it first came out, so into the cellar it went. Three years latert, Presto! delicious. try aging this for a fine smoke, indeed!

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

GL Pease sometimes takes some hits for the way he writes his tin descriptions. Without getting into a debate as to whether his style of floral prose is appropriate, I have to say that in this case it's completely accurate. I actually tasted "malt and grapefruit," as well as a lot of pure Virginia flavor. The latakia is applied very lightly here -- it's noticeable, but that's it. It butns fairly well and doesn't bite so long as you go slow and don't smoke consecutive bowls. Unfortunately, it is an exceptionally mild smoke, both in regards to flavor and nicotine strength. I don't reach for this often (mainly because I have a low threshold for VAs), but there are rare times when it hits the spot like nothing else does. If you like well-crafted, delicate VA blends, grab some of this. For my part, it's just too mild to provide me regular enjoyment, but you might feel differently.

Laudante Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Laudante (29)

This one is a very good blend, but something prevents me of giving it four stars. I can´t find anything wrong with it (except perhaps a certain harshness on the throat), but I wouldn´t have it in my regular rotation either. It happens sometimes.

Should age very well and one day I will buy some tins for that purpose.

parker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
parker (12)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

good tin description.smoke carefully to appreciate the taste and avoid bite.much better with a few months aging after opening the tin,i transfer mine to a mason jar. i don't think it is similar to any other pease virginia's apart from the obvious similarity of blends from the same type of leaf.if you really hate this you obviously don't like virginia tobacco.

john doe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
john doe (41)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This stuff is dumbed down Embarcadero, with the added bonus that it's so incredibly dry right out of the tin you can pack it really, really tight and it'll still burn without a relight.

If the sweet-tart thing gets your motor running, Embarcadero's where it's at. This stuff is harsh on the throat and nasty, nasty, nasty. Avoid.

awt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
awt (15)
Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I am not an experienced VA smoker so please take my opinion with a pinch of salt. I have found it very pleasant, strong in the sense it has lot of nicotine. Prefers smaller bowls (I use group 2 Pokers or little bamboo pipes for it because I would not stand to smoke more of it).Has a very pleasant natural sweetnes but "bites". Lights up and burns easily to the end leaving a dry clean bowl .Give it the right to burn in a clean good pipe. It takes me a while to finish a tin but an unopened one should always be in one my drawers. Just in case. Highly recommended to VA lovers and to all in a need for a good diversion from latakia loaded tobaccos.

tacoeatingzebra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tacoeatingzebra (36)

Just finished my first can of Laurel Heights. I've been smoking it from a Don Carlos two note bent bulldog. In fact, I broke this pipe in with LH. On another online pipe forum, I saw someone joking that GL Pease should give free tins to anyone who detects the flavor hints that he indicates on the tin, well, recently upon having a big fat bowl of this stuff, I TASTED THE HINT OF GRAPEFRUIT! I was so excited that I told my wife and naturally, she looked at me funny.

This is a rich, yet simple blend. It is a little plainer than the English/Balkans I generally favor. Perhaps my tastes are skewed for this reason, because though I can see tiny flecks of latakia here and there-- I mean it's like the dash of tabasco I always add to my famed spaghetti sauce-- I can sense its presence more than I can taste or smell it. It's simply there to wake up the flavors.

Kudos to GLP for once again blending a wonderful pipe tobacco.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

The blend is very much true to the tin description. It really has become one of my favorite Virginia smokes. From Char light to finish, you get a mélange of tastes from malt to citrus, with nary a nip or touch of bitter. Not a sweet blend, it?s a wonderful testimate that Greg Pease knows his Virginias as well as his Perique. Mild to med in Strength, I?ve had it in a small Bulldog to a large Meer and it behaves no matter what you throw it in. Over all a great companionable smoke. Can?t go wrong. P.S. "If" there is Latakia in this, It's in the same proportion I like vermuth in my Martini's....Just walk the vodka glass by the Vermuth bottle, and hand it over.... Cheers!

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)

This is really nice stuff, akin to McClelland's Anniversary and SG's Commonwealth Mixture, with Laurel Heights the lighter of the three in flavor and strength (and in Latakia content- it is truly a smidge). In fact, I thought I was smoking a subtle English blend with fuller, sweet Virginia leaf when I first smoked LH. That said, even if you dislike English blends, this is worthy of an honest try by Virginia ribbon lovers, because the flavor is superior, the flue-cured leaf is creamy and smooth, and its gets better as the bowl burns down. Compare this also to McClelland's Virginia No. 24.

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)

GL Pease is arguably the best blender today. I now have seven of his blends in my rotation and at least one of his tins open at all times. Having said that, I must concur with Mainspring's assessment of this quality blend.

SparkleMotion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SparkleMotion (9)

This is a dangerous tobacco- it has to be smoked very very slowly or it can easily become harsh. In a large pipe smoked slowly its quite good.

mainspring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mainspring (27)

As much as I have tried to enjoy Laurel Heights, I just don't seem to be able to. It isn't the quality of the tobacco because it is obviously top shelf. My taste buds are to blame. To me it is a harsh and hot smoke. The moisture in the tin seems to be just right. From the charring light to the last shred in the bowl, it just doesn't give me any enjoyment. Maybe some aging will change my rating.

ajaj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ajaj (69)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

All of the tobaccos used by Greg and Craig are of the highest quality, and my two star recommendation should not reflect that fact. I have been "cursed" with an uncanny ability to shudder when latakia is even mentioned in a room, let alone smoked. When I attempted to smoke LH, all I could detect is latakia. Understand, the amount of latakia is minimal, almost microscopic, but its not a tobacco for me. The foundation of red and other virginias is wonderful, and I feel that this blend will receive the highest accolades.

aj

csimser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
csimser (7)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I seem to be the lone dissenting voice, however, I can not recommend this blend. I was eagerly looking forward to its release, as I enjoy the Telegraph Hill blend in this series, and other GLP blends, very much. However, I find Laurel Heights to be one dimensional - a flat tasting, somewhat acrid blend that lacks the wonderful complexity of other GLP blends. The "hint" of latakia mentioned on the GLP website and in other reviews gave me the sense I was smoking a Virginia blend in an estate pipe I had purchsed from someone who smoked nothing but English blends. It certainly did not add to the experience, and this experience needed some addition. My advice to the Virginia smoker is to avoid Laurel Heights and choose from a number of other blends in the GLP line which are truly superlative.

Top quality leaf, as usual for a Pease tobacco, but I have found it a little lacking in taste: probably it's my fault, so I might come back on this in the future, but I just haven't tasted the deepness and the flavour development so many other reviewers have written about. Oh, and no latakia flavour at all apart from some hints of presence, usually towards the bottom of the bowl...

Ok...tomorrow I'll give up cigarettes and reset my palate...:-)

Ranger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ranger (58)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I've never given 2 stars to a Pease blend, but this is it. The tobacco looks and smells great. The burn is nearly perfect, I've never had more one match bowls on any blend before. I found the strength somewhat strong but the fullness in the mouth somewhat mild. Not a very rich, satisfying smoke for me. I kept trying it and expecting a different experience, but it was consistent throughout the tin, and that's good if you like this blend. Some obviously love this tobacco, but I can't seem to be satisfied enough.