Middleton's Wine Berry premium pipe tobacco is made with a superior blend of Middleton's smoothest smoking tobaccos. The unique combination of Burley, Stoved Virginia and Black tobaccos marry well with it's Dark Forest Berry taste and delightful Aroma. Wine Berry Premium is always smooth, definitely superior... Absolutely Middleton.

BrandJohn Middleton, Inc
Manufactured ByJohn Middleton
FlavoringFruit / Citrus, Other / Misc
Packaging1.5oz Pouch
Strength
Very Mild, Mild
Medium to Strong, Strong
Taste
2.3
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

The toppings are red wine, raspberry, and what I'm sure is strawberry. There a definite floralness in the topping that one may consider distracting, depending on their personal preference. It reminds me of the floral note in Amphora Red, but it's a little stronger here. I get a hint of vanilla from the black cavendish throughout. Some nutty burley peeks out from the topping every so often (especially after the mid-point), and all I get from the Virginia is a very mild grassiness. Has a light nic-hit. Won't bite. Burns at a moderate pace with few relights and little moisture left in the bowl. I would prefer to give this three stars, but there's a light chemical, syrup taste that shows up occasionally to spoil what ought to be a higher rated aromatic. The fragrant, deep fruity flavor is very nice otherwise, and the after taste is very pleasant and lingers. Is almost an all day smoke.

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (94)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Im a Middleton fan and a drug store cowboy when it comes to tobacco, pipers who pack expensive tinned blends need not apply here. The pouch aroma is the strongest ive ever smelled, if a sealed pouch is left in a car or room for more than an hour the scent of dark forest berry will haunt said room or car for days. I was nervous about even smoking it the topping was so strong and cloyingly sweet. The tobacco was at near perfect humidity level, which again surprised me as i assumed the heavy topping would mean a goopy sticky mess. Upon lighting the overpowering casing disappears and a fragrant rasp/blackberry note comes through with good tobacco flavor in the background. I really enjoyed smoking it, not at all as i had expected and probably the best OTC fruit blend ive had. If you can get past the price (almost double that of any other pouch)and the overwhelming pouch aroma its quite nice, and the room note is second to none. Im not implying this is my new all day blend, but it was no trouble to smoke and had a good dose of vitamin N. Would be lovely accompanied by a rod or gun, very fragrant and satisfying, a true surprise.

Pipe Used: Capri rustic billiard

Age When Smoked: Current production

Purchased From: Milan Tobacco

Piper4ever Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper4ever (11)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one of my favorite "Of the Shelf" pipe tobaccos, is sweet with a little bite, the aroma is more than acceptable and the taste is weak showing its "mass production" characteristic. Although is not one of the delicious blends handmade by an artisan, wineberry is a good to very good emergency smoke, hence somewhat recommended.

Funn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Funn (16)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Got a sample of this from my tobacconist and it is a pretty good smoke. Not goopy at all. Might leave a ghost in your pipe. The room note is very pleasant,like cherries. This might be prefered over Middleton's Cherry Blend. Good to smoke around others. Mixture of black and dark brown tobaccos. Some may have to dry it out,but I pack my aromatics loose, for the best taste IMHO. This is a blend I will return to. Will taste good in a cob. Would recommend this to aromatic smokers and others like me who smoke everything.

Funn

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Mild Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

oh well its another drug store tobacco,,wine berry,,well i am a no expert when it comes to wine but berry is there in every puff, very sweet tobacco and you have to sip carefuly or else its gonna cause some inconvenience. packs easy and burns well but it might go to the wet side if abused,,burly can find its way to the taste buds on occasions,,room note is very pleasent for many people, perhaps one of the best,,disappointing if you are looking for tobacco taste but crowd pleaser,,try it for what it is.

Pkloop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pkloop (52)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Well I decided to give this one a shot..

Upon opening my pouch I find a mix of mostly brown ribbon with a decent portion of Black Cavandish. The pouch aroma is strong and definately smells like berries. Smells quite good by my sniffer..

Packing: This tobacco, while heavily cased, is seemingly at the proper moisture content. Not too sticky, packing is an easy affair. Simple 3 step..

Lighting: The Wine Berry takes to flame right off the bat. Tamp it down, light it again and thats it. Despite its casing I hear no sizzling or popping as I light it.

Smoking: The casing comes through quite well. It has a plesant berry flavor that seems to last through most of the bowl. At times, you can also taste what seems to be a pretty decent underlying tobacco. I find this to burn dry..unlike some of your more heavily cased 'baccys. Can bite if overheated. The room note does indeed smell like Strawberry pancake syrup..and thats exactly what my wife said when I asked her what she thought. She says she likes it..

Finish: Quite seems to depend on how fast you smoked the bowl..If you kinda rushed it it'll finish bitter. If you took your time..used good technique..It finishes fine. This can be challenging at times givin the drugstores' propensity to burn fast. DGT? forget it..if you must stop, dump it.

Overall: I find this to be a good smoke. Its certainly not an all day smoke for me or even an everyday smoke. Its a treat smoke and in that regard I enjoy it. I will purchase another..

You may want to give this one a shot if you're not predjudiced to aromatics or Middleton's tobaccos..you may catch yourself liking it..I did

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (107)
Very Mild Strong Mild Extra Strong

If anyone has ever wondered what it would be like to smoke a fruity life saver, well, here you go. This has a huge fruity top flavor aroma that is reminiscent of strawberry with a touch of something else in the olfactory make up, perhaps menthol that I suppose makes for it's wild forest berry character. This will permeate the room with it's pouch aroma. A soft texture blend that is not too moist and goopy in the pipe but will yeild some moisture. The smoke is light and mildly sweet with hints of it's berry flavor; more intense aroma than flavor though. Beware, this will aromatize your pipe. I smoked it in a old corncob that destined it for it's last voyage. The aroma is just over the top(for me) and no real honest tobacco flavors come through. For those who like bright and fruity aromatically "radioactive" blends.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (180)
Mild Extra Strong Medium Overwhelming

The pouch smells like a car air freshener or pancake syrup, I was hesitant to try this berry blend. However I was feeling like trying something different and this is about as different as tobacco gets. I like to try all types of tobacco in hopes of finding a jewel or two hidden away where I would not have expected them.

So, I got out my clay pipe and dared to pack a bowl. I had to smoke this outside, as the smell is so strong, I was afraid of scenting the entire house. It lit well and tasted pretty good, the dark berry flavor is very present throughout the bowl. Much less syrupy than I had expected. It smoked well and was quite nice for such a overpowering smell. Good for a cob or a clay, never ever in a briar pipe, you would never get the smell out. I will seal this well and revisit this blend in the summer months.

Somewhat recommended, for those adventurous enough to try. DO NOT SMOKE THIS IN A BRIAR!