Lannes Johnson makes some of the coolest and driest smoking pipes around, but he's as particular about tobacco as he is about his craftsmanship. When he wanted a Virginia tobacco blend to send as a sample to his pipe customers, he had a certain idea in mind. So we considered it a real challenge to develop this mixture. It had to be sweet, but not too much. It had to have a little tang, but without sharpness or bite, and it needed to smoke coolly. To this end, we combined 3 different types of red Virginia with a whisper of St. James Perique to get your "Heart" started.

BrandHearth & Home
Strength
Taste
2.9
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

An uncomplicated mild mixture of red Virginias with a little spice note from the perique. Lightly sweet and tangy, it burns well and coolly, with no wetness or dottle. It is often dry in the tin, so it may require a little hydration to bring out the flavors a little more. The nic-hit is very mild, and experienced smokers who are used to heavier bends may need more than what this blend offers. Then again, that's the entire reason for its existence as it was designed to be an all day, comfortable smoke that doesn't weigh down your taste buds. Some may consider it to be a good introduction to VaPers and red Virginias, and others may smoke it as a change of pace from heavier blends. But however you look at it, it's a pleasant blend with a nice room note for a mild tobacco aficionado.

ArmedOctopus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ArmedOctopus (17)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I am not a fan of perique. This blend is no different. That being said....

Tin note is very nice and reminds me of figs. I cannot detect any sort of casing or topping. It seems to me to be nothing but tobacco. The blend has a perfect moisture content. The VA is nice and slightly sweet. However, it lacks the boldness and complexity of a mature VA, but I would assume some age on a tin would help. The VA is tasty though and of good quality. Not surprising though for a Hearth and Home blend.

For anyone looking at these reviews, I am sure this is a good, solid VA/PER, but it is not my cup of tea. Perique has a peppery flavor that to me is not unlike the feeling of tongue bite.

I'm giving it 2 stars, although my feelings are closer to 1.5. However, I could easily see a perique junkie loving this blend.

rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (59)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

H&H LJ HEART VIRGINIA

Virginian and Perique Tobaccos

Tin Notes: Various Cuts of leaves with good color but with a little bit of roughage Good Moisture Content The tobaccos have a deep earthy (wet hay like or immature air dried ) aroma

Smoking: The tobacco preformed well and produced a cool burning smoke from start to finish and left a good ash. I was glad that the the pretense of the tin note aroma did not carry over to the smoking flavors. I thought the general flavor of this blend was slightly tart and the perique was a flat instead of peppery.

This is a new tin of this tobacco that i am smoking so overall i am not that impressed. But Maybe a few months or a year in dark storage would do wonders

My 5 star rating = 2

maybe more after proper curing

Pipe Used: pipestone, corn and briar

ROTHNH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ROTHNH (11)

An excellent bulk buy for anyone who enjoys Virginias. Square on LJ's pipes, this blend delivers in spades. It is not complicated though -- red Virginia with a splash of excellent quality Perique. No casing. If you love Virginia blends, this is a winner.

A nice, mild VaPer, for me heavier on the red Virginias in taste with a hint of Perique to make it more interesting than a plain Virginia blend. Great for a warm/hot day outside. Those looking for a heavy Perique blend likely won't find that here.

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (57)
Medium None Detected Medium Strong

This is a combination of virginias and perique the virginias are mostly red which gives it a sweetness and bright virginias which it give it a lemony taste, perique is found with reserve in the 4 oz that I have on my sample, it comes dry from the retailer wich I do not mind, is easy to pack and light, the taste is a inter play between virginia sweetness and lemony with the perique weaving in and out, It only bites when pushed. the nicotine level is on the low side and room note is pretty strong according to my wife, stinks is what she said.

To be quite honest I divide tobaccos in 2 ways would I buy again or not this one I would not buy again, of all the H&H virgini samples that I vae tried it seems to be they all follow a similar pattern red virginias lead the way with bright virginias for compliment and different levels of perique alonf the way; the only one that has made an impression so far is Virginia Spice where the perique is substituted for cigar leaf, nevertheless they are pretty good blends just not my cup of tea.

I like some of H and H blends but some are just too green out of the pouch. This is one of them. With aging, I think it will improve and will do so. This tobacco blend also arrived to me very much on the dry side but actually about the dryness I like it. It is an all brown blend with hints of a dark brown mixed in. It smells nice and tangy in the pouch with a musky backdrop of the perique. It loaded quite easily and was very easy to get lit. It stays lit very well and produces a perique dominated figgy taste that is very mild. In fact, my sample the perique dominated the blend very much and the VA was almost non present for the first half of the bowl. It provided very little of the sweet hay like taste that I like. Once I hit the halfway point in the bowl, it bloomed for a little while and offered a sweet, creamy smoke that I love. but just as I was really getting into the great flavor, it disappeared again and became very ashy and bitter tasting. I feel this is a very green blend and needs to be aged awhile. I am going to cellar the rest and come back to it. So, based on my smokes of it early on, I cannot recommend this blend.

DUPE.3310 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

I guess my taste buds are shot...or I got a bad batch, but I have to strongly disagree with the other reviews here. The sample I recieved was "very" dry - which may have resulted in a bad experience. The lit bowl started out OK, but the further down I smoked the fowler it got and by the end I could barely stand to finish it. Spousal note - her initial smell test indicated it was light and had an OK room note, but toward the end she said it smelled like I was smoking dog poo. After 25+ years of pipe smoking...I would have to say this ranks close to the bottom of the blends I have tried. If you are considering trying this one...definitely get a small sample first.

cajomu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cajomu (15)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

Like most of the other reviewers, I find LJ Heart Virginia to be an excellent Virginia tobacco. It is very favorful with a good amount of Perique, although a little less sweet than most Virginias that I have tried. Also as noted by the others, it is extremely easy to smoke, lighting easily, with no bite, and leaving only a fine ash in the bowl. It is also priced right.

My only criticisms (and I know I'm getting a bit picky here) are that the aroma of the unlit tobacco is less intense than with most Virginias and that it is a bit on the weak side, nicotene-wise.

Despite these slight imperfections, I have made LJ Heart Virginia one of my regular smokes.

bronxbill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bronxbill (10)

To my tastes, this is a fine VA tobacco. As with Mr. Dottle, the taste of the perique eluded me, but that may be just my pallet. I received this initially as a sample from Frenchy and that was extremely dry. I ordered some directly from pipesandcigars and that had a perfect level of moisture. I put some away for a year, and that made a tremendous difference; the flavors seemed to blend and the sweetness of the VA really came out. There is still a little tang, but the sweetness predominates. I'm giving this 4 stars with the warning that it takes some aging to reach the 4 star level. As received from the blender, I give it 3 stars.

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a blend of coarse ribbon cut VAs with perique added that I thought was dry as received but still smoked cool and without any condensation or bite. An effortless smoke without relights resulted. I didn't sense much influence from the the Perique but the taste was still enjoyable although the strength was less than my normal VAPER preferred flakes.

EAL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EAL (36)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

Nothing fancy, just a darn good Virginia blend that keeps its promises - no bite, a little sweet, a little tangy, and it smokes like a dream - just like LJ's pipes, dry and cool. The longer I smoke, the more I enjoy blends like this that are easy to approach, yet leave me completely satisfied.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (161)

This is a delicious, mild to medium VA with a subtle and constant sweetness that doesn?t disappoint. It pretty much matches the description although the ?whisper? of perique eluded my palate. It burns cool with no bite and has good burning qualities. Try this with a fresh, clean palate and a ?cold one.? It?s superb! LJH is not a particularly complex blend but as the old TV commercial stated, ?The simpler things are, the better I like them.? This is one of the most enjoyable and satisfying VAs I have smoked.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this blend 9.9 out of 10.

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (69)

Exemplar sweetness and tang, just as advertised. A little bit try - needed a coupla drops of water. The taste is wonderful. For a bulk virginia, this is great stuff.

Images evoked include a rabbit skeleton hopping merrily through a beautiful hilly landscape.

smoking247 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking247 (4)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

One of the few tobaccos I've found that actually matches the blender's description. Absolutley one of the driest smokes I've ever had as well as having a consistent flavor from start to finish.

huffnpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
huffnpuff (44)

Dude this is some cool baccy.good amount of perique,just enough to be noticed and the nice ribbon cuts.reds in the scene .Not one bite,I feel it is the milder version of pipes and cigars Louisana red .

The virginias get nice and smokey and st james has its high notes and its low notes burning down to a white ash ,my pipe was still dry on the bottom.

:-)

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (87)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I received 5 or 6 bowls worth of this blend from Frenchy, after purchasing a pipe off his site. The contents of the bag were quite dry and I decided to smoke 'as -is'. A myriad of different cuts can be seen: cube, ribbon, coarse and long. I also detect the presence of a decent proportion of perique. Bag aroma is a subtle virginia, somewhat redolent of McClellands, but muted overall. Lightup is spicy but not hot and the piquant flavor calms almost immediately. Taste is straightforward, unsullied va/per. Not exceptional but certainly worthy of your attention. I may order some. Of note: the residual room aroma is rather acrid, for me.