A careful blend of Virginias, Burley and Cavendish make this blend perfect for the "student" of the pipe. This tobacco has a wonderful aroma and has pleased many pipe smokers.

Brandpipesandcigars.com

Burn = 8

After Taste = 8

Raw Score = 48

Rated Percentage = 80%

Comment = Very Smooth, Very Mild, Mellow with good Flavor, a very pleasant smoke

jspargo4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jspargo4 (1)

The other reviewers to date describe this as a non-aromatic. I find that incredible. Based on the reviews of this tobacco, I recently purchased 4 oz to give it a go and and was startled by the strong vanilla smell when I opened the bag the first time. I am not a fan of aromatics but I tried to keep am open mind as I smoked my first, second, third......pipefuls. I don't care about the room-note as long as my wife doesn't complain. I'm only interested in the taste and Student is too perfumy to suit me. If you enjoy the unadulterated taste of tobacco, Student isn't for you. I'll smoke what I have, but no more.

mithraic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mithraic (4)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I'll revise this description later and do this blend some justice. For now I just wanted to get it on the record that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this blend! I've never ripped through a stash of tobacco with more alacrity or zest! Get some now!

Coltrane Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coltrane (26)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This blend is more of a...classic blend in my opinion. It has a nice flavor and aroma for a non-aeromatic. When I first started smoking pipes 15-years ago I was looking for a pipe tobacco that had a nice aroma and flavor but wasn't too sweet. It took me a while to find this but I am glad that I did. Me being an English blend fan this is a nice blend that fills the need for a non-aeromatic blend when you are out of your full bodied English and Balkan blends.

I would highly recommend this blend to experienced smokers, new smokers might find it a bit full bodied. But some poeple like full bodied blends, so new smokers go ahead and give it a try but remember it's a bit full bodied.

jshrader13 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jshrader13 (16)

I really don't know how to describe this one. It's a non-aromatic, and it's one of four non-aromatics I ordered when I purchased my two newest pipes. Honestly, I wasn't crazy about this one. It was a bit strong for me, (a month-old novice), but the other three non-aromatics I tried smoked much nicer than this one. I guess for a novice trying their first non-aromatic blend, this would be an okay one to try, but I don't think it's going to win any awards.

spielzeug Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
spielzeug (4)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

After being forced to quit by my wife 20 years ago I recently decided to go back to pipe smoking. I used to like English tobaccos and one of my favorites was Ehrlichs DPE and also Balkan Sobranie. I though I had better start with something mild and work my way up again. After smoking 2 pounds of University Student blend I find that this is a very pleasant smoke and the family can also tolerate the odor. My grandaughter actually likes it. I have since graduated to some of McClellans tobaccos but still like an occasional pipe of Students blend.

Rafe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rafe (9)
Mild Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

For a burley based bulk aromatic, this certainly has a lot going for it. It's just a good, all-around tobacco. It is non-descript, but I mean that as a positive. Its taste is all tobacco, a little on the sweet side but not cased or flavored to my palate. It's mild but not wimpy, smokes cool and doesn't bite, stays lit well and provides lots of big fluffy white smoke clouds. It's beginner-friendly and as such will not satify the hardcore Balkan and latakia lovers among us, and if you like to be backhanded by your nicotine, pass this one by.

Someone here recently compared tobacco supply to a wine cellar, and stated that any decent wine cellar needed to be rounded out with everyday housewines. I thought it was a good parallel, and in my stash University Student gets the same billing as other blends like Carter Hall, Half & Half and Burley Light --- simple, reliable, inexpensive bulk blends to juxtapose my prized (and pricey) tinned favorites. I've been smoking this one with my coffee almost every morning for the past couple of weeks, and it's a good way to start up the day. A very nice little blend.