A Perfect After Dinner smoke Flavored with Cordial Spirits

Very Pleasant, Pleasant

CapnStuby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CapnStuby (31)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I wasn't expecting much out of this. I knew from the pouch text that it wasn't a copy of Dunhill's mixture (which I have yet to try), but for $4 I said "it's at least good for spreading in the compost bin, if nothing else." Well, all that skepticism changed when I got through a bowl of this.

The pouch is a gold plastic/thick Mylar and the tobacco isn't sealed in. You might want to jar this one if you're not planning to smoke it all in a hurry. The pouch aroma is distinctly Cavendish, with the black and gold ribbon having a sort of berry liquor smell. Not so strong as to be like artificial perfume, but a gentle aroma. The ribbons were not too dry and packed very well. I loaded three charges into a generic bent I use for testing new aromatics and gave it a light. After a quick tamp and relight, I settled into what can best be described as a state of wonderment that a cheap tobacco was actually really, really good!

First Third: The tobacco flavor is light, very mellow, actually. The berry essence comes through, with a little of the cordial taste in the mouth. The smoke wasn't wet and the bowl didn't burn too hot, even with repeated puffing. NO throat bite or tongue pepper was detected. Very nice!

Second Third: The berry flavor intensifies here, but a distinct nutty flavor of the tobacco starts to come through and meld with the cordial taste. It's not overpowering and doesn't taste like sucking on cotton candy. Still cool and no mouth burn. Lots of creamy smoke, here.

Last Third: This was the best part and had a lot of the nuttiness enhanced by what I guess was the residual liquid from the casing vaporizing. Strong berry flavor with great tobacco taste, but still no problem for the tongue.

Ash analysis: Burned clean in the bowl with a fine, powdery dottle. No residue detected in the bowl, BUT the 8mm charcoal filter I used had the first third saturated with liquid. So this DOES have a tendency to release some liquid, so Denicool crystals, Nording Keystones or even a charcoal filter are recommended. If you don't use any of these, then you'll want to run a pipe cleaner through after your smoke. But it doesn't foul the pipe walls.

Room Note: Extremely pleasant, with a strong berry scent and a lovely tobacco aroma. Passers by stopped to compliment me on the smoke and it seems like it's a hit with people of all ages.

I really like this tobacco, even though it's just a simple aromatic. There's no complexity in the flavor, but it's SO likeable that I can't help but want to smoke it all the time. I will definitely return to that store and get a few pouches to jar and cellar.

DEFINITE RECOMMEND

Pipe Used: Generic Bent Briar with Filter

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the pouch

Purchased From: Local tobacconist

Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Very mild with no bite. Nice flavor of raspberries and something else I couldn't identify. Might have been liquor of some kind. Room note is very good and hangs around for a good while. Burned cool for me. I like it, but it's just too mild for my preferences. I won't hold that against it though. It is what it was designed to be.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Mountain Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mountain Man (23)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This one isnt any different than any other aromatic as far as moisture or added flavor.I just dont like the flavor.It doesnt agree with my taste buds,but try it for yourself.You may like it.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Very Mild Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I knew this would not be like the other night cap but it was free so I tried it. All can say is for a better smoke put a scented candle in your pipe it will taste less waxy.

Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

If you think this may be a substitute tobacco for the Murray's produced Dunhill's Nightcap - Fuhgetahboutit!

Altadis has produced a chunky ribbon/cube cut offering here that is absolutely loaded to the gills with liquor/berry casing that'll satisfy any sweet tooth. If your nose isn't working when you open the bag hoping to receive a Dunhill's Nightcap taste sensation - have a gun handy. After your first puff, you'll want to shoot the pouch.

ho dirty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ho dirty (10)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

i randomly picked this up at my local tobacco shop. i havent been smoking a pipe for long, but let me tell you, this is my favorite. after gladly smoking the whole pouch, i went back for more(and most likely will continue to do so). if you've never tried it pick some up. it wont disapoint.

JerseySmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JerseySmoker (11)
Strong Strong Full Very Pleasant

I bought a pouch, smoked it, and had to go back to my tobacconist for some more.

To me, this is an "English" blend.

And I'll probably have to go back to my tobacconist for some more by the end of the week.

TheWoodwose Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheWoodwose (17)
Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

This is from the perspective of a novice pipe smoker (4-5 months).

The room note is excellent! I love the smell of this. There isn't a whole lot of flavor (a bit nutty?) but you can definitely tell its there.

Burns fairly cool, a little wet (but not bad for an aro), and no tongue bite (for me anyway). My tongue is very sensitive to being bitten and some aromatics absolutely fry it; not so with this one.

A very enjoyable and relaxing smoke.

I have to admit up front that I had zero expectations of this tobacco. I ended up pleasantly surprised. Not to be confused with Dunhill's strong English blend by the same name, this is a full on aromatic with lovely berry/liquor casing. I don't think it will make it into my once or twice a week bowl of aromatic only because it can burn a little hotter than others that I enjoy. The room note smells very similar to the old OTC aromatics. There is a slight chemical taste as the bowl progresses and that along with the heat makes this only a two star blend for me. But if you are looking for an inexpensive aromatic, one could do far worse than Nightcap. Somewhat Recommended.

Jay02904 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jay02904 (6)

I just picked up some of night cap after really liking the creme brulee and I find that I like this one almost as much. Tasty reminds me of blueberry or red wine and a touch of maybe vanilla?, moist (let sit out for a bit before smoking), didn't bite, crackles similar to the cream burlee upon lighting up. Making this one part of the rotation.

Nathan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nathan (8)

Good smoke with a fruity, berry like aroma. Burns fine and will also bite if smoked fast. Mild in nicotine strength but more than worth trying.

darthsaturn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
darthsaturn (2)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Just finished my first bowl of Night Cap by Altadis. Please note, that I have yet to smoke the original, so this is not a comparison review.

The aroma consisted of chocolate with some coffee mixed in. The texture seemed just right. It was a little moist, but not clumpy. It packed very well, and upon pressing it into the bowl, had a nice spring to it.

It lit the first time with no need for a relight. The first part of the smoke consisted of the chocolate flavor which was very prominent when exhaled through the nose. Half way through I noticed more of a scotch flavor, while at the end, the aftertaste reminded me of tea. It smoked very cool and had a mild nic fix. No tongue bite was experienced.

Overall I was very impressed! It was a great smoke for the end of the day. I would classify this as an aro, and if you are a fan of aros (or Lane 1-Q) then you will like this. If you are not, then Night Cap is not for you. I, on the other hand, will add this to my rotation and I plan on stocking up a few pounds to cellar. I give it 4 out of 5 pipes.

Huck Finn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Huck Finn (6)

This is a nice puff on the back porch in the evening type of blend. As aromatics go it shows appeal. A little drying out helps, I find it somewhat on the damp side though it doesn't bite like tobaccos of this nature. Perhaps not an all day smoke but it has merit and is certainly worth a try if you like the occasional aromatic.

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (68)

The tobacco shop where I buy my goodies, was having a two for one sale on Tobacco Galleria Products. I bought a pouch of this and a pouch of Fox and Hound. I now know why it was a two for one special. This Night Cap is as far from an English Blend as one could possibly get. This stuff has almost a double portion of flavoring in comparison to 1Q. Way too sweet for my palate. If you want a really flavorful aromatic, then give this one a try. I also had a really difficult time trying to keep this stuff lit. Right out of the pouch it was very very moist.

Now where did I put that tin of Squadron Leader?

DakotaPeacePipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DakotaPeacePipe (33)
Mild Strong Medium Pleasant

Sweet and with a heavy wine and berry flavor, delicious. One reviewer has characterized this blend as a ?desert? smoke, which for me sums it up very aptly. I happen to be fond of deserts and this is a delightfully full flavored smoke. Admittedly this blend fails my ?goop? test (when filling and tamping with a finger if your finger tip bears residue from the toppings it has failed) however it burns to a nice grey ash and left no dottle, have gone thru several pounds of this and my briars do not seem worse for the experience. This would rate four stars except for one major failing, it burns hot, no bite while smoking but go thru a few bowls of this during the day and your will know it by evening. Admittedly I am a vigorous puffer, and the taste of this blend is so delectable I no doubt increase my consumption speed, if only I could slow things down this would be one of my favorites.

Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is a typical heavily sweetened dessert smoke from our friends at Altadis. Smells great, tastes decent, but is way too wet and sweet for me. It smokes pretty well for a black Cav blend.

jackhackett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jackhackett (76)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Mostly harmless. Not much "there" there, but hey, chicks dig it and it's a decent alternative once in a while. Flavor is among the least synthetic of this line.

Constrained to basket pipe though; it's like tar on briar.

pipeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeman (14)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

now u want to talk about consistancy,here we go,right from the start this blend was like riding a kiddie rollercoaster,but of course i still like it.from the bursts of nicotine to the taste of what at times seemed like berries and wine,this blend was just back and forth,but still not unpleasant.the room aroma is the longest lasting iv'e foung to date,my house still smelled like it the next day,which was a good thing.i would recommend this,i look forward to trying it in my meershaums.

TikiPirate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TikiPirate (7)

One of the better Altadis Aromatics, has a hint of vanilla and taste of raspberry. Room note is very nice. I find it a very nice complement to Dan?s Blue Note. If you like either blend, I recommend you try the other.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

It's interesting that some compare this tobacco to Dunhill's Nightcap (that's the correct spelling, with Dunhill it's all one word). That is a true apples and oranges comparison. Dunhill Nightcap is a full English blend. TG Night Cap is an aromatic and, IMHO, a darned good one. It has a flavor of raspberries and cream, and keeps it pretty much throughout the smoke. For an aromatic, it lights and burns well, and does not leave the pipe goopy. It also has a very attractive price and can be found at marscigars.com.

Scores for Night Cap; flavor- 15 of 20, lighting and burn- 7 of 10; value- 8 of 10. 30 points gets Night Cap a high * rating.