The fifth blend in our Middle-Earth Pipeweed Series. Burley, Virginia, Latakia, and Cavendish tobaccos are blended together to form this thick, satisfying smoke.

BrandJust For Him
Blended ByBob Schafer
ContentsBurley, Cavendish, Virginia, Black Cavendish, Latakia
Strength
Taste

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is the last of the Just For Him tobacco samples that I recently received from a fellow TRC member who wanted me to try them and then post reviews.

Although the descriptive above indicates no Latakia in this blend I sure detected it... I do believe the Black Cavendish is flavored with something but I have not a clue as to what. The delicate sweetness of the Cavendish enhanced the Virginia presence and the hint of Latakia "manned up" the smoke to the point where I liked it.

A most unusual blend and it was probably my favorite in the series.

sheboyganjohn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sheboyganjohn (5)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I bought a few ounces of this along with Lane 1Q as my first tobaccos. Smoked a few bowls of this and then ordered a pound of it. I had one bowl that was just perfect. Burned properly, nice cool dry smoke. Great flavor, left a very faint sweet taste behind that I could taste, along with the tobaccos, on my lips for a few hours after smoking it. Still trying to get that great smoke out of it again. I like it enough that it will stay as one of my primary tobaccos. I have not had a bad smoke out of it yet.

Wiseguy1982 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wiseguy1982 (23)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

I am fairly certain that ROI is one of my favorites in this sampler, Old Toby being the first.

ROI is a very generous blend. I believe it to be the stronger of the group in terms of flavor and strength.

Very nice smoke for when you just want to be.

The Right Reverend Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Right Reverend (26)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Just moved over from STM in Just For Him's Middle Earth Sampler. It was like a lighter tasting STM for me. The room note a bit sweeter and not offensive. Burns hotter, can't puff on this stuff too fast (not that you should anyway!). Lots of creamy looking smoke though... Just the stuff to practice your smoke rings on. I find it a bit of a plain smoke... but I like Latikia and can only taste a hint of it here. Burns down to a nice white ash like others in the Middle Earth series. I found it overall just okay.

The Logo-Mat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Logo-Mat (7)

This has become my favorite tobacco- it has everything from both sides of the fence: high quality Virginia, hearty burley, tasty latakia- but still smells and tastes great like an aro too. My go-to all time favorite. I can't find another tobacco that beats it.

Wagon25 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wagon25 (14)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

STM was the first I tried in this series. I enjoyed it so much I thought I'd try the others. I was expecting ROI to be just okay, since it didn't get quite the rave reviews of STM. I was wrong; this is a subtle, well-balanced blend. Nutty and oakey right from the first light, cool burning, no hissing. All-around this is very pleasant. You can't beat the price. I'm impressed with the Middle-Earth Pipeweed series so far.

dnietosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dnietosi (11)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

Terrific Smoke! Still have not decided which one is my favorite STM or this one. It arrived a little on the wet side, needs a little drying. When you open the bag it strikes: Latakia! My precious! Very thick smoke as other JFH blends, very enjoyable. Hard to catch the other tobaccos (burley, VA, and the two Cavendish) by themselves but the blend definitely works. Just great!

Update: The only thing is that this is not STM

Taerin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taerin (20)
Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

My favorite tobacco out there! Just amazing how the flavors and smells come together in this cool, well behaved blend. The smoke seems thicker than normal comming from this blend, probabley from better lighting and burning than most blends. The Middle Earth series is a masterblended series and not some cheap knock off from a movie in order to make money.

Bazmadi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bazmadi (2)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Okay--It seems like a lot of people head toward the Lord of the Rings tobaccos. But a name is just a name, and your tastes shouldn't be swayed by the idea of smoking a tobacco in a churchwarden pipe just because that's how Tolkien's literary characters smoked in the movies.

That said, this is a great blend. Not quite as good as Shortcut to Mushrooms (ironically from the same Middle Earth tobacco series from JFH), but different enough to stand on its own. It has a good, thick flavor and leaves a very pleasing aftertaste that almost commands you to relax. Give Shortcut to Mushrooms a try, but keep some Ruins around for it's more pleasing room note and social smoking situations.

CenTex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CenTex (14)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Couldn't resist--smoked a bowl of this last night while reading about the destruction of Isengard by the Ents, in a Savinelli Gandalf churchwarden.

I like this blend. I smoke aromatics, with a few drugstore burley blends as well, but this is a good cross-over for me. The latakia was very noticeable but balanced, no bite, lit well and burned well, only one re-light. I would recommend to aromatic fans looking to broaden their horizons. I have no insight into the minds of the non-aromatic smoker.

updated my review, room note is better than tolerable.

Pfeifegeliebter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pfeifegeliebter (9)

I bought the LOTR sampler pack and this is my second favorite next to Shortcut to Mushrooms. The room note is pleasant and the Latakia is pleasant in this blend. The casing is mid but noticable and the taste is noticable but pleasant. All in all I just ordered another ounce of thsi to give it a more detailed study .

fiorano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fiorano (13)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This being myfirst foray into latakia anything; I will say wow what a wonderful intro. This is a mildly sweet incredibly smooth full smoke. While the sweet hovers and lingers behind a rustic smooth campfire smokey flavor. But this is not a hard smoke to the uninitiated it is an inviting, and again smooth comforting smoke. More mature in flavor than say a black cordial for comparison. The gentle almost marshmallow charcter of the sweetness is supported by a vanilla or honey hint. I can't place what Ruins is. Other than fun satisfying and a good smoke. Highly recommend This, and I may venture into latakia because of this delicious welcome. You wont be disappointed. Room note is wonderful, array and business like just good.

Kyrob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kyrob (21)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

I bought the sampler pack of the LOTR series from Just For Him about a week ago and randomly selected one to try. Opening the pouch of Ruins of Isengard, I could see rich black with light and dark brown ribbons that felt just right for smoking to the touch. An unlit sip revealed the taste of butterscotch and the charring and initial light were full of cedar, making me think that the Latakia was going to dominate. Surprisingly I was wrong in thinking that.

Overall the taste was of a rich, creamy butterscotch sweetness with the Latakia being very subtle in the smoke. Occasionally I would pick up traces of honey, and the dottle for some reason tasted to me like a cross between cotton candy and marshmallows. The room note was pleasant and the sweetness was satisfying, not overpowering.

I was totally in love with what little of this tobacco I had access to, but you can bet I will be buying more. If you are looking for a cross between a light English blend and an aromatic, then look no further.

Uncle Burl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uncle Burl (3)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

I purchased the Middle Earth sampler and I've found for me personally that this and Treebeard are the only ones I enjoy. They are at opposite ends of the flavor and smell spectum. Ruins in the pouch smells exactly like a sweet southern BBQ sauce, and when smoked has the flavor and tone of fruit wood and meat in the smokehouse. I'm not very fond of Latakia, but in this it is in the background without taking over. The more I smoked the more I liked it. When I want something stronger this will be it.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)
Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

I found that I really liked this blend at first, it reminded me of butterscotch and caramel with just a hint of latakia. The thing was that while I really enjoyed it at first it got to be just to sweet for me in the long run. I found that it smoked just a tad to wet and goopy for me and the sweetness hung in my throat and I started getting soar throats after every smoke. With that said, I loved exhaling this one through my nose and it has a wonderful room note! Sometimes I just opened the baggie to smell it and then put it away to smoke something else...

marksman8351 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marksman8351 (21)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

As the last reviewer said this isnt an english blend it isnt a aromatic its a nice inbetween blend i enjoyed it.

CaptainEnormous Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptainEnormous (17)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Like others, I've tried the Middle Earth sampler. They are all fun, and all worth investigating. I won't be by buying any of them again. . .except Ruins. Ruins of Isengard is something special.

The blend is difficult to explain. It involves Latakia, Cavendish, a neutral Virginia/Burly base, and possibly a casing. It's satisfying and full. It's not an English, and it's not an aromatic. I know that doesn't help someone trying to figure out if they should try this. But, like STM (Shortcut to Mushrooms), there's no real-world allegory for this. It's worth trying. And then some.

BradS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BradS (22)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I purchased the Middle Earth Sampler and have tried Old Toby, Treebeard, Longbottom Leaf and now Ruins of Isengard. Reading the reviews below goes to show that everyone has different tastes. I guess if you really enjoy Latakia, you will probably like Ruins of Isengard. I found it a decent smoke, but not exactly to my taste like the others I've tried so far.

rstevens Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rstevens (4)

I ordered both Treebeard and Ruins of Isengard tobacco from the Justforhim website and I love them both. Ruins of Isengard tastes great. For me, the taste consists of natural tobacco flavor with a hint of honey. It packs easily, but came to me a little wet but you just need to stick a flame too it for a little longer than usual and it will stay burning just fine. Treebeard is the more sweet and vanilla flavored tobacco, while Ruins of Isengard is the more natural tasting tobacco with a hint of honey.

Highly recommended.

Boomer-Z Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Boomer-Z (22)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my second tobacco of this line I have tried. I also have Shortcut to Mushrooms, but that will be a different review. Ruins of Isengard is a nice tobacco. Very comforting and soothing. I can imagine smoking out of a Churchwarden Pipe very slowly. The smell out of the bag is awesome. It is just humid enough to to be pliable but not to wet. It packed easily and stayed lit. I smoked it out of my HUGE Colossal Poker. It produces a nice creamy smoke that doesn't over power you. The flavors blend together nicely. I know everyone's palate is a little different, but I picked up vanilla, honey, and a nice smooth tobacco flavor. Not too strong but not overly flavored. This is just a real nice tobacco.

On a side not I bought it online from Justforhim.com. I bought it Wednesday and had it by Friday. Seems like a great shop with good service and fast shipping. I highly recommend checking them out.(I have no association with them other then as a customer.)

Enjoy, Z

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (121)

Ths fine weed from Just For Him has quite a nice almost butterscotch aroma to me from the pouch. It comes across as a very nicely behaved blend. The moisture level for me was just right. There is no tongue bite nor any gurgle. The taste and room note are very pleasant. It produces a decent amount of smoke and does not need much attention once you put a match to it. I have tried this blend in several pipes now with the same result. I can see me getting more of each of the Middle-Earth Series that I have tried thus far in the future. I must agree with the positive reviews below mine here. Very highly recommended.

OPCguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OPCguy (46)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Ruins of Isengard is yet another blend in the Middle Earth Pipe Weed Series by Just For Him, justforhim.com I would place ROI second to Shortcut to Mushroom if you are going to explore the Middle Earth series, especially if you normally smoke pure English blends and rarely dabble with weed that is cased.

Packing: Frank Method and Three Stage packing all work here even though this stuff is rather moist and can be a little sticky. I never had to dry out, however, and needed no relights after two scorches and initial light.

Smoke: What we have here is a consistent smoke that is mildly sweet, which comes off as either a mild vanilla or a cream. The sweetness does not force itself nor taste artificial probably because of the Cavendish and Black Cavendish tag team. The sweetness comes through on initial puff and trails off into a mild smokiness. It is kind of like having desert before the meal, sweet and salty.

Final: However, the description may sound inviting but ROI is just ok when you consider how many other blends are on the market. Nothing special to see here. Just a change of pace without overdoing casing or artificial sweeteners.

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Delicious!!!!!!!!!!! I am normally a burley man but this mixture is supurb and will be in my pipe often, may become my regular blend even. I has a soft creamy taste with a sweetness from the virginias but I never detected a casing or infusion flavor at all. I belive the dark cavendish is of the natural toasted variety. There is some Latakia in this but not strong, just enough to give it a toastiness. I smells sweet in the bad and the room note is wonderful. Like sweet fruitwood burning in the fireplace. This is the best of the middle earth series and in my opinion the best JFH blend of all..It tastes good from lighting to the bottom of the bowl. I love it!

maboman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
maboman (11)

I had high hopes for this when I ordered it because I was excited about the whole LOTR theme etc.

This is in my opinion a very mild Latika blend. If you are wanting to sample a Latika and get away from aromatics etc then I think this may be the blend for you. Personally I prefer something much "smokier"

Dan, Cordoba Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dan, Cordoba Man (9)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Quite a good smoke. The flavor is a little different to me. The package smelled a bit of cinnamon. The room note smells a little like fresh evergreen boughs on a campfire. Definitely worth a try. I'll have to save some for when I'm camping next.

Gandalf the Grey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gandalf the Grey (9)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

Ruins of Isengard is without a doubt, a very fulfilling tobacco. It is mild on the tongue, with a wonderful flavor, and a room note that is simply amazing. If anything can truly take you out of your easy chair and put you into a world of its own, Ruins of Isengard does just that. Just like the most of the Just for Him pipeweed collection, I believe that this blend would do tolkien proud. It has an old-world taste and a fantastical aroma. Not quite like anything else, but comforting, zesty, and the very reason that we pick up a pipe. This is an experience wanting to be tried.

kylepoet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kylepoet (18)

I didn't think I'd be the first to review this... A good, solid smoke, I think that sums it up. I broke in a Savinelli Churchwarden with this blend from Just For Him, and it smoked well from start to finish. It arrived a little moist, but after a couple days letting it dry, I felt it was ready enough to fire up. the ribbon cut packed nicely, and holds a light well. Yes, sweet Virginia, but there's also Cavendish and Black Cavendish here, too. Hints of a campfire, so maybe a touch of Latakia pokes its nose in, but I'm not too sure. If so, it's very mild. There's a little vanilla to my taste, and a touch of toasted nuts. Past that, I'd be stretching. It's mildly aromatic, with a reassuring presence, nowhere near overwhelming. Ruins is a smoke you can imagine streaming from Strider's pipe while waiting for him to decide his next course of action.

This is another good offering by the tobacconists at JFH. If you like your Virginias with some character, this is a fine choice. I'll still give Shortcut to Mushrooms the nod when it comes to their Middle Earth series, but Ruins of Isengard is a strong addition to this line.