A Danish blend of bright Virginia, Burley, and flue cured dark leaf, naturally flavored. Cool burning with a delightful flavor and aroma.

BrandTinder Box
Strength
Taste
Very Mild, Mild to Medium

Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This is a classic Tinderbox blend that has been around for eons. I know I must have tried it in my distant past, but can't put my finger on when or where. The small 1 ounce sample tin I just popped open the other day must be at least 10 years old.

Norse Gold's gentleness to the palate and subtle Vanilla/Licorice flavoring was a nice change of pace for me. I did want a little more "oomph," so, just for fun I slapped a quarter bowl of Five Brothers on top of Norse Gold for my second bowl and got the desired effect.

If a light aromatic with true tobacco flavor is your cup of tea... well, here you go pardner.

Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I cannot believe I am the first to review this classic Tinderbox Blend. I started smoking this in High School back in 1978 and I thought wow!!!, this is really what pipe smoking is about. Well, 29 years later I am a little wiser but I still have a fond place in my heart for Norse Gold. This was the blend that got me smoking pipes 3 decades ago. This is a remarkably unremarkable aromatic by todays standards. It is primarily light colored cavendish with some sweetened black cavendish and an unusual Vanilla type topping.Actually, I still find it a step above other aromatics. It burns very cool and has a pleasant dry sweetness to it. There is something in the casing that makes this aromatic different, and different enough to survive at least 30 years! That is no easy feat! It really is worth a shot for something unusual that is till available today , yet takes us all back to those glorious neophyte days that would mark the beginning of our future pipe smoking adventures. Judge it for what it is not what you might like it to be and you will be happy. 3 solid Aromatic Stars!!! 10 stars for Nostalgia!!!!!!!!

JoPo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JoPo (7)
Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Norse Gold is a good Danish blend. It is mild in nicotine, pleasant in aroma, and richly flavored, but a wet smoker. Its flavor and aroma are both pleasant and similar to one another. The primary tasting notes are curiously absent from the list of ingredients for this blend. I taste sweetened Black Cavendish, vanilla, and a hit of anise. The smoke is warm but in a comforting way though I suppose an aggressive puffer could burn off his taste buds. The big problem with this blend is that it smokes wet. I can't stand getting water out of the stem of my pipe and the infamous wet pipe gurgle drives me mad. If you are a fan of mild aromatics that still taste of tobacco and don't mind the wet this blend is a good choice. If the wet gets you but like me you still enjoy the smell and aroma of this blend I suggest moving up the price ladder to W.O. Larsen's 1864.

Pipe Used: Peterson Donegal 606; filtered meerschaume

Purchased From: The Tinderbox

Similar Blends: W.O. Larsen's 1864.

I think this deserves 2 and half stars because it's better than the Aalborg blend that Tinderbox sells, but it's not as good as many other Danish blends on the market. The previous reviewers note the variety of flavors well enough that I'll bow to their descriptions. It is a little disappointing that the burley component is drowned out by the marshmallow and liquorice tastes. I find the flavor bottoms out a bit near the end of the smoke, and leaves me rather unsatisfied.

Fencing_Phoenix Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fencing_Phoenix (9)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried to come up with something other to add to this review than "vanilla-marshmallow" flavoring, but I find I can not. The other reviewers have it spot-on with this blend, and "vanilla-marshmallow" really is the best way of putting it.

Right out of the bag it smokes well, and is very tasty. The flavoring is just enough to keep you interested and alert, and the tobacco isn't too strong or weak either. The room note is usually pleasant on this one. I have only had one complaint from a non-pipe smoker (she caught a full puff right in the face on accident), and even then her comment was "wow, that stuff stinks, but it's really good for clearing out the sinuses!" This blend does have a tendency to smoke a bit hot and dry, but if sampled carefully it serves to accent the flavor, rather than detract from it.

The smell really does stay on you all day, but in a pleasant way, and once the smoke goes stale in a room or car it really isn't unpleasant at all.

My only problem with it is that it leaves a sour taste in the mouth after-wards. I just couldn't get past that. Without the sour mouth-taste, this one could have been a four star.

T. Collin Francis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
T. Collin Francis (15)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Pleasant

Nice tin note, nothing exceptional, vanilla and perhaps as one reviewer said; licorice. Started out really mild with the vanilla in the background and the toasty Marshmallows out front. Burley comes on in the middle of the bowl. Not too bad a bite but I did get a gurgle midway though the smoke. Great room note. You shouldn't get any complaints about smoking this one around friends and family.

Juna Gu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Juna Gu (31)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Mild Unnoticeable

I think I must have bought this by accident. The pouch aroma is nice and floral and light but for me the fun stopped there. It burns hot, starts off bitter and only becomes a vaguely nice experience for about 5 minutes towards mid bowl. It bites a bit and is somewhat tasteless. But it is a mild and fuss free beginners experience I imagine. Thing is it always leaves my tongue feeling funny and numb. I've still yet to be won over to aromatics. Not stopping by for any Norse Gold again.

Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I first smoked this back in my early pipe smoking years (later 70's) and although not as regular as was the Tinderbox's Captain Spice, Norse Gold was always an easy smoke. Smoked a bit hot, no bite, pleasant room note. The only thing was - I tired of it since it had very little taste for me. I couldn't taste much in the way of flavoring (the tin and catalog description said nougat) nor any true tobacco taste. I loved its pouch aroma, but after a while decided to stick with the Captain before spreading my wings and adventuring toward more solid tasting tobacco.

If the present day tobacco that bears the name Norse Gold is truly the same blend as in days of old, I certainly give it a solid 3 star recommendation for newbies to our hobby.

macbeth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
macbeth (17)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Bag aroma has a licorice scent. Casing a little too much for my taste, but nice smoke. It stayed with me, though, and I smelled like I had been smoking all day. I always find it interesting and stay open to trying different smoke. I can say I tried it and liked it.

Stun Gun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stun Gun (2)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This was the first blend I ever smoked. Being a newb, I burned all my taste buds off.

The subsequent, more controlled, experiences were great. This blend is smooth and rich. It has a creamy sweetness and pretty voluminous smoke if managed carefully.

There is a toasted marshmellowiness when it hits the mouth and the release is tame and relaxing.

I've expanded to more traditional non-aromatic blends but keep coming back to this for nostalgia's sake. Plus, for a night at the pool hall, or amongst the tobacco-critical, this is a simple, safe, and consistent blend. The price is attractive as well.

Andytheturtle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Andytheturtle (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

This was one of my first real pipe tobaccos I ever smoked and I have got to say, when smoked slow it is wonderful and cool and at 3.75 an oz. it is cheap to try and eazy to fall in love with.

flyrod6057 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flyrod6057 (18)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

I'm not really much of an aromatic smoker, but I picked up a couplde ounces of this to try out, just for the heck of it. Well, it's a pretty decent smoke. The smell upon opening is sweet, with what I believe to be a sort of vanilla-marshmallowish something or other. The topping is there through most of the pipe, but mellows toward the end. The burley really comes through. The weed smoked well and wasn't too much of a chore to keep lit. While I haven't completely made up my mind on this blend, I give it [barely] three stars for it's potential. Let's see what happens with a little time...