Similar to the No.5 Mixture, but with the addition of Cyprian Latakia in a small amount for added body. A very traditional British blend of medium strength.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Strength
Very Mild, Mild to Medium
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
2.0
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I am a longtime fan of Gawith Hoggarth’s Balkan Mixture so No. 20 Latakia seemed like a nice transition. The very thin ribbons are almost a shag cut and so it dries very quickly. The pouch scent is quite unique. It doesn’t offer the floral, soapy scent often found in GH blends, but there is something on the tobacco that I honestly can’t quite describe. I find the packing of this blend to be very important. Pack it too loose and it will burn very fast and hot. I am guessing that there is some dark fired in this blend and the Virginias remind me a little bit of those found in Bright CR Flake. I am not put off by the topping, which I believe to be lighter than others have described. Some of the “topping” may be not topping at all, but in the leaf itself or the processing of the leaf, but I don’t doubt that it has some added flavoring. I find the strength to be medium, but it could be medium to strong for those sensitive to Lady N.I love the unique flavor of Balkan Mixture, but unfortunately, I am not as big of a fan of No. 20 Latakia. Having smoked just one ounce (very quickly) I may return to this review again as I smoke more of it, but right now, it falls below my expectations.

henwrench Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
henwrench (16)

Very nice smoke, packs and lights easily. Can taste the Virginia. I've also got a confession to make..... when I bought it, I was so desperate to try it out, I actually rolled a cigarette with it. Smoked it, inhaled it and was left satisfied for over four hours!! Put that in your pipe and smoke it...;) Just finished my second bowl of this stuff... I really like it. Smokes pretty quick, and leaves the mouth a little dry, but a very pleasant experience.

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I'd give this a 3.5 if I could.

Sold by some folks as #20 Mixture, this strikes me as a pretty straightforward blend of Kendal Kentucky with just enough latakia to make the result somewhat spicy. I smell the latakia when unlit, and it's there in the aroma just a tad, but it's not overpowering by any stretch of the imagination. (For more latakia, try the G&H #12, it's also got a much stronger Virginia component.)

I love Kendal Kentucky, and this is a very interesting variation.

I don't get any floral or Lakeland essence from this blend, but KK has a distinct flavor, and this has it, plus latakia.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Bulk: Overall brown with darker to black mixed in. Quite a fragrant floral Kendal perfumey bouquet. Carmel sweet. Medium ribbon cut.

Packs and lights easily.

Taste & Aroma: If ever there was a Gawith blend that displays the signature Kendal scent, this is it.

1st Half: Sweet carmel and Kendal floral arrangement.

Mid bowl: Stoved, darker, richer, so floral and fragrant as to have a disagreable aromatic synthetic taste and smell. Like grainy perfumed flowers. Tongue bite is a concern.

Nicotine: Strong

Romm Note: Pleasant but with a synthetic aroma

Overall: GH names this No. 20 Latakia. Oriental is not mentioned in the GH description of No. 20 or No.5. For a definition of a scented Lake District blend, this is it. Shows promise, but in the end, seems to have so much flavor as to be a synthetic aromatic, like synthetic grainy flowers. In that there are other GH blends, No. 20 is negative. If this is No. 5 Mixture's cousin, it's a distant one. An indoor smoke, but not all day due to the swoon brought on by the nicotine.

tcvarlh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tcvarlh (11)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

This was tried all day yesterday. My first reaction was 'Almond' Pleasant enough smoke, it needs a mild kick of something 'herbal' to liven it up. But it lights well and stays alight, for a day spent fishing good enough! I enjoyed it.