The proprietor's favorite. A base of stoved Virginia with rich Burley and Turkish. Flavorful and smooth.

BrandWith Pipe and Book
ContentsBurley, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Strength
None Detected, Medium to Strong
Taste
Medium, Full
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
roberteconnors Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
roberteconnors (9)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Interesting combination of orientals, burley, and Virginia. For those interested in pipe and tobacco memorabilia, Breck's collection is fantastic. I tried to buy a few things from Julie, but they were not for sale. You have to stop in this store to see it. As far as I know, they don't have a web site. (As of summer 2009, Pipe and Book was almost totally closed. Breck and Julie are close to retirement.)

gnossos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gnossos (39)

Was out in the Lake Placid area to bag some trout last weekend and stopped in With Pipe and Book. This is a great mixture that starts off strong with the Turkish, later in the bowl the Virginia stands out more. I was very pleased and impressed and was smoking it out of a Savinelli Second that I bought there as well. And, while I was smoking it, I stumbled across a little tributary to the Ausable River and found a bunch of trout, bagged me a nice rainbow trout over a foot as well as some other beautiful fish. A great outdoorsy smoke. The moisture content is perfect.

But hurry - one of the proprietors said that the shop will be closing in a year! So try this before they go out of business (they decided it was time to retire and their kids don't want to go into that business - a damn shame). I hope that I am able to find a tobacco more easily available for when this one is off the market.

Edit: I finally tried Red Raparee by Rattray, which is quite a good smoke, and thought I'd update this to say that Breck's Mixture is similar to a somewhat more full-bodied Red Raparee.