A middle strength, full blend containing red and lemon Virginia, Latakia, Turkish and black Cavendish.

ContentsBlack Cavendish, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Strength
Taste
Fumatore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fumatore (48)

A very good medium English blend once it settles down from the first few puffs. I like the way the Virginias and the Black Cavendish intertwine and smooth out the Latakia and Turkish. The Black Cavendish is nicely sprinkled in here. There is no bite, and you will appreciate a rich and creamy smoke.

As a long-time lover of the most perfect blend ever conceived, Murray's Dunhill 965, I can understand the association with Stratfordshire. Certainly not the same, but they have similar characteristics.

I probably would be smoking more of Stratfordshire if it were not for Tuskegee Airman which is just outstanding, and to my taste buds, seems to be using slightly higher quality tobaccos.

If you are the thrifty type, you will find Stratfordshire a great deal in bulk.

I can certainly recommend this blend and think it might be a little better than 3 stars.

Archdeacon Grantly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Archdeacon Grantly (4)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an underrated English blend, in my opinion. It reminds me of Dunhill's 965 with it's VA's, orientals, latakia and cavendish. A very pleasant, medium bodied blend that satisfies. I don't understand why it isn't more highly rated here, except that C&D have so many blends, the result is fewer ratings on all of them, I guess.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (100)

Billed as a "Medium English" I wonder what C&D's 015 Mild English could possibly be as this innocuous blend seems more of a "Light" or even Ultra-light itself to me. It's not offensive in any manner. Just smoke, plain and simple (and not a huge quantity of that due to quick, dry burn). Sort of a "generic" English, but less tasty than I'd hoped for. Recommend a very thick walled pipe for this because your pipe will heat up, way up, quickly. I'll be moving on in my quest for my quintessential everyday smoke

Update 7/24/09: I'm kicking the rating up here a star as I'm smoking more of this than I anticipated and liking it more.

Update 12/27/09: After acquiring a resupply and putting Stratfordshire through a longer test I must adjust some of my ratings. I am bumping the Taste up to medium and wish to state that to me now it seems more robust in nicotine. It could well fill an all-day role in my world. I wish Presbyterian tasted as this does as what I found wrong with that this corrects. Yes, Stratfordhire is in England but it does have a Scottish flair to it. It is still at 3 stars but think 3.5 All in all, a most MM965-like smoke.

Mike__P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike__P (87)

I agree with "Demetri's" updated review: Stratfordshire may be named after a county in England, but this blend might as well be called "Perth," because it is a delicious Scottish interpretation with a sweet, robust flavor that is gentle on the tongue. If you enjoy some of Rattray's offerings (or yearn for more smokinesss from Presbyterian Mixture), then give this Americanized version a go. The Turkish adds interest and, as with other C&D blends, Stratfordshire also imparts a fresh toastiness that I enjoy.

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (73)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I was quite satisfied by this English offering, though not as much as I would have liked. For the perfect example of this style of blend, I would recommend C. Fairmorn's Sundowner Mixture.

There is just something about the classic, straightforward English blend that hasn't done it for me in years. I can realize objectively that a base of bright Virginia with Latakia and Turkish can be good in all that it is expected to attain, but I am always left wanting something just a bit different. A few variations on that classic theme are always interesting. Such is the case with Stratfordshire.

The base of red Virginia as opposed to bright lends a bit more sweet complexity to the flavor, and a goodly amount of Cornell & Diehl's black Cavendish manages to impart a few more pleasant surprises. The effect of these two components working with the condimental leaf was rather enthralling. For a time one would have the soft, warming sweetness of a quality aromatic. It would then, of a sudden, give way over to a dark, smoky Scottish sort of flavor with the dusky sweetness only lingering in back of the heady Orientals. This combination would repeat throughout the bowl and leave me intrigued, if not a little fatigued at times.

Regards,

A. Morley Jaques

This is one of the best medium English blends I have had the pleasure to smoke. The Latakia and the Turkish are well balanced and nicely supported by the Virginias and Black Cavendish. Along with the usual underlying sweetness is a note of lightly buttered toast. Simply delicious. If you like English blends you just have to try this. I can't recommend this any higher.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

tleek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tleek (51)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I have sampled probably about 12-15 Cornell and Diehl Blends. I was on a C&D kick for a while where I smoked virtually nothing but their blends. When I first got this one, It did not really impress me. In maybe 6 months or so I smoked less than half of the two ounce sample. I remember it being harsh, and pretty generic.

But today I am smoking a bowl and it is very pleasant. Not the least bit harsh. The cavendish really does make this blend,it makes it fantastically. I do not know if the roughly six months of aging in its original ziplock bag helped refine this blend, or if my tastes have just changed but this blend it very good and i recommend it to all.

Still, like most C&D bulk blends, this not some exotic incredible blend, with subtle nuances, that...etc. No, C&D english blends are for the most part dry, rough, no nonsense tobacco blends. They do not give the same experience of more "Luxury" type tinned blends which leave you impressed with their finesse. Instead this blend is what it is, a delicious, no nonsense, pure tasting tobacco, which to me at least, makes me feel like I am smoking something from a long ago and simpler time.

It is a pleasant middle of the road english which I am sure most of you will at least slightly enjoy!

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (115)

I usually do not try latakia blends that contain black cavendish, but decided to give this a whirl. I am glad I did, because this is a very smooth blend. The black cav did not add any kind of artificial sweetness, but rather cooled and thickened the smoke. I breezed through a sample and had to get more.

Govern Yourself Accordingly

zionhead1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zionhead1 (26)

nothing but good straight forward english (medium) smoke.