The Distinct Caramel flavors of unsweetened Black Cavendish combine with the natural sweetness of Perique. Spotted lightly with Bright Virginia and pressed into Crumble Cake. A Rich, Dark, naturally aromatic tobacco.

BrandWatch City Cigar
Blended ByErnie Q
Blend TypeOther
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Perique, Virginia
CutKrumble Kake
Strength
Mild, Medium, Medium to Strong
None Detected, Extremely Mild, Mild
Taste
Full

A black brick with a few blond stands thrown in. Pouch aroma of a basic aromatic, which did not excite me. This is simple to crumble and smoke, and I found no differences in the flavor by changing how I crumbled or cut. Still, this is an interesting one.

I did not get a lot of perique flavor from this one, as it was way in the background for me. The flavor description of caramel from the Cavendish was spot on. I tasted a mildly spicy caramel from start to finish. The flavor was extremely light and I found that I needed to snork almost every puff as well as puff this one with more vigor than I usually do. Some tobaccos need to puffed rather than sipped, and this was one. Otherwise the flavor was too light for my tastes. Puffed with a bit of authority, this one was nicely sweet and mellow, with just a hint of spice. Old Black Magic will show you what can be done with black Cavendish by leaving it more natural and not flavoring it with all manner of fruit and ice cream flavors. Cavendish does not have to mean low quality! Not a rotation-maker, but a fine blend nonetheless. Worth a shot for those that like a sweet room note but want something with more flavor and a higher quality leaf than your basic aromatic.

Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

This is one interesting tobacco. The pouch scent could easily fool the most frequent pipe smoker. It sure did fool me. OBM arrives in a beautifully shaped dark crumble cake. It offers the scent of an aromatic. Had I not known the component tobaccos I would have never guessed it to be anything but an aromatic. If there is any added flavoring, it is extremely light. The cake breaks with ease and for some folks it will be “pipe ready.” I prefer my tobacco pretty dry so I dried it for a few minutes. The perique IMO is the star of the show with the unflavored Cavendish adding body. The previous reviewer states that it is Nor' Easter without the latakia. That sounds like a good bet to me too. OBM offers plenty of smoke and is smooth from beginning to end. I do prefer OBM's cousin, Nor' Easter a tad bit more, but this is still a winner. Ernie at Watch City is one of those blenders that seems to fly under the radar, but he sure does put out some interesting blends. Recommended.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (85)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Very Pleasant

A pleasant and excellent surprise. According to WC, this blend is identical to N'oreaster, which I prefer, except OBM does not have latakia. I did not think I would enjoy this blend because it does not have latakia, but it really is well done. The cavendish gives it a smooth creamy taste. Nice medley of perique and the virginias. Give it a try!