Blending Tobacco.

Notes: This was an Amar Blends Co. mixture. Cornell and Diehl bought the rights of all their old recipes.

Blended ByAmar Blends Co.
Blend TypeBurley Based
ContentsBurley
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor, Other / Misc
Strength
Taste
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

DK's previous review is fairly right on the mark, though I didn't find it as sweet and molasses tasting as Edgeworth Ready Rubbed. I think the Altaldis ERR Match is closer to it. This has a more earthy flavor to it. But the marshmallow, nutty, and slight chocolate notes are here, and it has the full burley taste you're looking for with a little strength. Yes, it's good as a mixer, but I like it on its own. I found it more pleasing with some hydration since it's bone dry when you get it. Burns slower for more flavor that way. If you want true burley flavor, buy this.

Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

FUN WITH C&D SAMPLES, Vol III No. VII

This was a one ounce sample from a friend that I smoked up in about 2 days. Um... I smoked the tobacco in 2 days, not the friend. Grammar problems! :)

Fairly dark in color and dark and toasty in flavor, this tobacco is the closest taste to Edgeworth Ready Rubbed that I've found. That's a bit odd in that it doesn't have the small amount of Virginia nor the same top dressing that ERR'd has. Still, the two are reminiscent of one another.

This came to me very dry and I felt no need to hydrate. The flavors of burnt marshmallow and toast came through top to bottom. No problems taking or holding a light, no tongue bite, no excessive moisture and excellent flavor. In short, this one was about perfect as a burley and as a tobacco blend of any style. The flavor is of the "nutty" burley variety rather than the "earthy" variety that C&D is known (at least by me!) for. I'm not sure what they did to this one but it's something that I can smoke all day without paying it any mind or that I can sit down and contemplate. Exhaling through the nose elicited further flavor excitement, and I'm amazed that more burley fans that regularly contribute to this site haven't picked up on this one. I parlayed that one oz into a one pound purchase. Excellent and very highly recommended! If you're a burley fanatic, don't wait any longer.

Phonomet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phonomet (36)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is about as close as I want to get to unadorned burley. Maybe my batch sat in a bin too long and lost it's casing, but I didn't pick up on any sweetness. This is real deal burley and has a wonderfully rustic dryness and strength. I mixed a little sweeter burley blend to it and made it perfect. I recommend it to burley lovers and blenders.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Comment = Good Burley Taste, has a little Burley Bit, has a sweet After Taste

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

I am reviewing several C+D blending tobaccos as a precursor to some blending experiments. I know not many people blend, but these reviews may provide some hints to those wanting to do so.

A good baseline burley - a slight wood taste and aroma of burnt marshmallow. Only a bit nutty and not harsh. Arrived very dry so smokes a bit quickly. A faint hint of cigar towards mid bowl. Enough body to be consumed on its own if you would like. Smokes very cool.