This is similar to our Churchwarden but with a decrease in the cigar leaf and Perique and the addition of some high grade burley for a slightly sweeter, nuttier smoke. Rich and full with round full undertones. Pressed into Crumble Cake!

BrandWatch City Cigar
Blended ByErnie Q
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
CutKrumble Kake
Strength
Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste
Full

SeoulSister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SeoulSister (29)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I really like the smell of this cake. I break up the cake in small pieces. It burns slowly with minimal relights. This is a very good tobacco! It's sweet, smoky and bit nutty on the back note, a nice combination of all the tobaccos. I would put this among my top favorites. Easy to smoke and stays lite nicely and didn't burn hot.

Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

For those that don't live in the northeastern US, a “Nor'Easter” is a storm that spins up the Atlantic bringing a ton of rain or snow along with high winds. The name is fitting for this excellent Krumble Kake as it a “full on” tobacco. As I have said in other reviews, I am miffed at the lack of attention on TR paid to Watch City. They are among the very few local pipe shops that make their own (not renamed blends made elsewhere) kakes and flakes. All of the ones I have smoked thus far have been very good to excellent. Nor'easter is dark and as described, quite rich in flavor. The kake is fairly tight but breaks up easily. There is Cavendish in the kake that adds some underlying sweetness. Smoker's Haven Krumble Kake is my personal standard for top shelve kk's. For points of reference, it's not as complex as Smoker's Haven krumble kake, but as complex as many of the Hermit blends and more complex than Pirate Kake. The heavy dose of Latakia is balanced off by the Cavendish. I enjoy that bit of sweetness, but lovers of Latakia heavy blends may feel differently. Nor'easter, like many tobaccos in its class, can be a little muddled in the latter half of the bowl. This is another winner from Ernie at Watch City. Three and a half stars!

Similar Blends: Plum Pudding-Seattle Pipe Club.

Newbie2010 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Newbie2010 (12)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

Just wandered in to Watch City Cigar to check it out and just had to buy some of their pipe tobacco with cigar leaf. As a cigar smoker and pipe newbie, I was thrilled with the concept of the addition of cigar leaf and I was intrigued with Nor'Easter's smoky aroma and oily goodness. I let some dry out a little, about an hour or so, and then packed my pipe. You'll want to smoke it slowly because of its moisture content. It produces good smoke and a wonderful marriage of flavors that finishes like a wonderful maduro cigar, which is exactly what I was looking for in a pipe tobacco. I like the roomnote, too. It's a lot like the Owl Shop's Bancroft Tower, which reminds me of the incense they use at church. I should note that I pulled too much Nor'Easter out to dry and didn't put the remaining bowl-full away. It really dried out, but I smoked it anyway. It was a tad different. The flavor was not as full and the finish was shorter and drier. This is a nice treaure to have on hand and I'm certainly going to try Watch City's similar Churchwarden blend as well.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (84)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Very Pleasant

This is one of the best latakia blends I've ever had the pleasure to smoke. The latakia is predominant at each stage: in the bag, while you smoke, and room note. What makes it unique, for me at least, from other Oriental/latakia blends I've enjoyed is the very subtle, creamy bottom taste from the cavendish and burley. I think it would be going to far too say the smoke is sweet, but as noted there is a very nice and unique "creaminess" to the bottom of your smoke/taste. Interesting.

And I really enjoyed the "krumble kake" style blend.

Update 11/08/10: It's a year later and I'm enjoying a bowl of this during a minin Nor'easter in Boston, Ma. This blend is as good if not better than I remember it so I think I will bump it up to Four (4) stars.

Medium to Strong Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

The personal at Watch City Cigars were kind enough to send me a sample of this blend. It is excellent, albeit with that pervasive slightly sweet Cavendish ingredient which I personally don't care too much for.

Now, the other tobaccos seem to me excellent. The Perique indeed is very shy (but its presence is nevertheless there), but the Burley and Latakia combine pretty well. This is the strongest of the previous blends I've tried (Persian Sleeper, Deep Elm and Justice), so I wouldn't recommended it as a first experience with Oriental/Latakias. For the seasoned smoker however, this may present a nice change of pace from the more traditional blends. Its smooth, easy to light and it has a very nice burning rate.

Maybe if they toned down the sweetness of their Cavendish (present in all the very good mixtures I've tried from this house), or used an altogether unsweetend Cavendish (like the ones used in Dunhill's My Mixture 965 or in Fox's Provost Mixture), there wouldn't be---for my taste---such a conflict of flavors.

lenow Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lenow (2)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant

Ernie Q. has done it again. I am a big fan of Esoterica Penzance and this is similar, but with a bit more spice because of the perique and cigar leaf. I started smoking this, and haven't stopped. It has a great taste without biting and smokes to the bottom of the bowl every time. You can taste this long after a bowl, but in a good way. If you like strong English blends, this is for you.

Michael Hudson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Michael Hudson (1)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Unnoticeable

Latakia and Orientals are front and center in this band, hooting and blatting and generally showing off like a couple of clarinet players, while good ol? burley sits up back, laying down a cool, sweet, earthy back beat groove without which the swinging frontmen would be lost. Okay, maybe not lost, but certainly not as easy to dance to. The constituent parts of this dark, moist, easily rubbed out and easily lit crumble cake work together wonderfully, providing, as I said, a predominantly LatOrient smoke made smooth and rich and vaguely sweet by the burley. I?m sure that the cigar adds to the overall melange one how or another, but I don?t detect it. While this estimable smoke may not turn me completely away from the VAs, Vapers, and VaBurIques that I?ve been seen running around town with lately, it has certainly rekindled a flame for my first true love, Latakia-rich Englishes.

By the by, when I say "unnoticeable" as regards Room Note, I mean "I can't tell you," because I smoke alone most of the time and haven't yet had the chance to ask my Lovely Wife of Many Years, "What's this one smell like?" I'm sure that the Room Note of this tobacco is very noticeable by others; how so I can not say.

Medium None Detected Full Very Pleasant

I received a sample of Nor'easter and immediately fired it up. I am a big fan of crumble cake type tobaccos and the ingrediants of Latakia, Orientals and Burely sounded good. As a big fan of full bodied English tobaccos I was expecting a bit more of a punch along the lines of The Churchwarden.

Nor'easter is very smooth but I found the Burley to be the predominate part of this blend. The sweet and woody flavor of the Burley overpowers the Latakia and the subtle nuances of the Orientals.

It burns nicely to the bottom of the bowl. It seems to taste a little better when dried a bit, but smokes well right out of the bag. I tried smoking it in chunks as well as rubbing it out a bit. When smoked in little chunks, the flavor seemed more pronounced.

Since I am not a fan of this type of sweet Burley I can only somewhat recommend this blend. The room note was very nice with the wife commenting on how good it smelled.

preppypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
preppypipe (57)

"Nor'Easter" is essentially "The Churchwarden" in a crumble cake form with much more burley and much less cigar leaf.As with T.C. it needed to be dried out for a while before packing and it worked best in a medium sized bowl.The flavor is much milder and would make a nice late morning or afternoon blend but for me I missed the cigar leaf and perique and enjoyed it's sister blend a bit more.None the less it's a very nice blend and is recommended.... prep

Bayoupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bayoupipe (4)
Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm smoking my third bowl of Nor'easter, and I'm enjoying it every bit as much as the first, a few days ago. The Orientals and Latakia dominate in both flavor and aroma, but the Burley makes its presence known in a woodsy, nutty way. This is my first foray into Crumble Cake and into Watch City Cigars blends. I'm very pleased on both fronts. Crumble Cake is not only fun, but I think it preserves the moisture of the tobacco and helps the various flavors continue to marry after pressing. Nor'easter packs easily, and I've smoked every bowl so far on a single light. Many reviewers seem to ignore the visual aspect of the smoke. To me, a thick, dark gray smoke adds to the piping experience. This blends satisfies in that arena, too. As far as room note goes, I can't say "pleasant", based on the way my wife's nose curls up when I smoke it. But being a latakia fan, I personlly like the aroma. Great blend! I'll be looking into more from Watch City soon.