A light English blend of Burley, Virginia, Latakia, and Perique, topped off with a bit of Wilke's unique fermented Black Cavendish. Truly a social English.

BrandPipeworks & Wilke
Blended ByCarole Burns
Contents Black Cavendish, Burley, Latakia, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium
Taste

This is an interesting tobacco that will surely rekindle the debate as to when a blend is an aromatic and when it not. I would define this blend as a true cross-over blend (think Northwoods, Frog Morton OTT etc). I guess it could be called an English blend however I think the sweet Cavendish plays a little to dominate of a role here. It is not used in a way that would be found in Dunhill 965 but rather one of an aromatic. While Latakia is not required to define an English blend, it should be noted that the Latakia is added with such a light hand that it's barely noticeable. With all of that said, #193, like all of the other P&W tobacco's I have in my cellar is a well made blend. After a little dry time, #193 is a sweet English style blend that can be enjoyed by aromatic smokers as well as English and Virginia smokers alike. Purists may not agree. Recommended

Kleophrades Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kleophrades (39)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

The least interesting of P&W blends I have tried. The Perique is nice and goes well enough with the Cavendish to produce a mild, sweet smoke. But I can't taste much Latakia here and I wouldn't really describe this as especially English -- rather a Cavendishified VA/Per with some Latakia for kick and some Burley for body. I am capable of liking an aromatic VA/Per (Haddo's, for instance) and I do love a mild English (Pelican, for instance) but in this case I don't think the Cavendish adds much. That said, it's quality tobacco and like all P&W blends it couldn't bite even if you wanted it to.

BIGBEN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BIGBEN (1)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

Since I am able to smoke only outdoors I cannot rate the room note of this blend. After smoking about ten pipefuls of 193 I find it the best tobacco with latakia that I have ever smoked. The latakia does not overpower the other elements in this blend but adds just enough smokiness to make it interesting and tasty. I only found Pipeworks and Wilke a few weeks ago in an internet search but already my inclination is to sample all their blends (as much as my wallet will allow)to find more delicious blends for my rotation.

Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is the kind of blend you might want to smoke more and more, it's so pleasant! It could easily be smoked by anyone, both latakia smokers and aromatic-heads. I'd like to taste the tobaccos behind the topping a little more maybe and if it had a stronger body it could easily become one of my favourites. Said that, it's a great mixture, especially for the first smokes in the morning when you don't want to get saturated by tons of flavour, but for me it will never become an all day smoke. Recommended.

BigBen53 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigBen53 (21)

No.193 Delightful. opening the Pouch smells delightfully, and i smoke a bowl full a non biting mixture, Virginia and Burleys Latakia, and Perique, Black Cavendish tobacco and topped with a superior Latakia creating a traditional taste. burn cool all the way down to the bottom of the bowl, if you like Virginia and Burleys this is the tobacco for you. i love it I'am puting This in my tobacco cellar,

This Tobacco it is charming

It is hard to get bit by it unless you really puff it. traditional light strength English charming tobacco.

1.) I like it's complexity.

2.) I like that it's not biting.

3.) It is easy to smoke, and enjoy a all day smoke.

4.) The No.193 lasts and lasts. the aroma in the room is delightfully,

this is a wonderful tobacco, and i give it 4 star

Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Carole just re-released this with her starting line up this year. It is exactly what it promises to be, a mild American-English, with a nice room note. The Burley is smooth, the Virginia adds a bit of sweetness, and the Cavendish gives off the baking spices scent which are this blender's trademark. The Latakia is very light, adding just a hint of woodsmoke. The Perique is almost imperceptible. It adds just a twinge of spice. This blend has no bad traits as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't nip, smokes easily, and burns evenly all the way down the bowl. Mild without being bland,this is a superb blend for hot weather. It leaves my palate clean for the next pipe. If you are looking for a full, contemplative smoke, this is not it. This is more of a daily companion, good with a book or wandering about town. I had actually started working with Carole on a custom blend for warm weather. Little did I know, she had it all along!

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

One of the finest aromatic crossovers I've had the pleasure to taste. As with other reviews, I've indicated that no one does aromatics better than Wilke. There's that signature Wilke Cavendish, and in this blend, it seems to be applied with a toasted marshmallow topping and light vanilla extract. My friend tells me this is an English blend, but if it is, it's an American English, with the American playing the title role and the Englishman as the bit player. Warning: this can make your pipe steamy, and it does leave some wet gunk at the bottom, but this is the case with any sugary tobacco interacting with the dressings. Try this with a glass of Zybrowka, a Polish buffalo grass liquor that is really marvelous. Reach for this when you want to be reminded of pleasant, gentler times.

Three and a half of five stars

An excellent Aromatic English!My friend walked in the room and said "Where's the Anise?"I looked surprised and said "What"?.Anise is the aromatic agent here. This though,is nothing like a Germain and Sons' product.This has a sweet anise which compliments the English components of the blend.It is not however to be confused with Count Pulaski by Altadis. That again is a totally different flavor.The only drawback to this blend is that for me it smokes a little too dry.I'm sure that is my sensitivity to Virginia based blends.By all means,, give this one a whirl! A solid three stars!

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I am going to digress a bit from the other reviews only in that this is a mild "English" only in the sense of the moderate Latakia present (definitely there is Latakia, just not dominate- it is quality, tasty Latakia, too).

This is more medium+ in nicotine strength due to the fine and obvious Perique. In fact, if you like Perique blends, give this a try. I think there is a little less of the St. James Parish product in No. 193 than what I detect in No. 72 and more than I taste in High Hat. I'll happily keep comparing for confirmation.

A rich, cool, complex smoking mixture, No. 193 changes while burning for added interest. I taste and smell an aromatic flavoring, something akin to Lake District scenting (not soapy, nor overdone). There is just a bit of sweetness that perfectly moderates the smokiness and piquancy. This is overall delicious, delightful and social indeed.

High Hat is still my favorite of the Latakia imbued blends from P&W so far, followed very closely by Bestmake.