Loose cube cut burley and Virginias.

BrandDavid P. Ehrlich Company
3.6
Dave Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dave (15)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

As the previous reviewer said, Ehrlichs was an absolutely fascinating place back when I started going to it in the early 70's. It was like going back in time: the mahogany counters; sales people in blue or red smocks smoking their pipes; "the man in the window" making or repairing pipes and an absolutely fantastic selection of pipes and tobaccos. They, and the other store owned by them, Leavitt and Pierce in Harvard Square in Cambridge have a rich history as tobacconists and were/are an institution in the Boston area. Sadly, as has been noted, Ehrlichs has deemphasized its line of pipes and tobaccos, presumably due to the declining number of pipe smokers and has gotten into other lines such as cigars (which they always had but have increased the emphasis thereon), exotic beers and wines and other products. My absolute favorite tobacco of all time was a Danish blend called Pemberton, which I understand was made for them by MacBarens, and was nearly identical to the old Golden Extra when it was a combination of Burley and Virgina, but that too was discontinued some years ago. But Ehrlichs has not closed. They have moved from 32 Tremont St. in Boston to 40 North St. near Faneuil Hall and are a much smaller operation. Leavitt and Pierce still remains in Harvard Square. I was in there today and they told me that the pipe business has picked up somewhat. Hope it continues.

Ehrlichs and L&P's flagship blend is DPE and is still available unchanged from when I first tried it in 1970. I will never forget their slogan about it: "Our highest selling blend. We sell tons and tons of it each year." I have heard its been around since the 1880's. I don't know about that but do know that they have sold it since at least the 1940's, probably earlier. DPE is a blend of seven different Virginia, Burley and Latakia tobaccos, aged 3 years and cut into small to medium sized cubes. It is easy packing and lighting. It has a very nutty primary flavor with a sweet undertone. The Latakia is almost unnoticeable. It is rather mild, tongue bite is almost nonexistent, yet it delivers a strong flavor relative to its overall mildness. It is to me an excellent all day smoke. When I first tried it I was somewhat frustrated as the first few puffs were extremely flavorful but this appeared to become lost after a few minutes. I figured out that the secret was not to overlight, and to smoke very slow and not draw too heavily. When I do this, the flavor remains consistent. The other plus on this tobacco is that it is less expensive than many other premium blends. Not cheap, but less expensive. It is an outstanding value in my humble opinion.

Update 4/17/13: I am now smoking my first bowl of DPE since it changed. It does somewhat resemble the original. Lost is the primary nutty flavor I described above; the primary flavor now seems to be a tangy, almost citrus like flavor. There does not appear to be as much latakia in the mixture and the whole mixture is much lighter in color than the original. Maybe just a tad more latakia would help. Overall not bad but not as good as the original. Wish they could bring that back.

AL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AL (24)

A recent purchase of a couple pounds of DPE brought back a lot of memories of this tobacco and the days when DPE was a popular New England blend.

The one thing thats missing with todays DPE is the rugged lever top can. DPE now comes in bulk in zip lock bags. All in all, to me it hasn't changed enough over the years for me to notice any significant change in the blend. The cube cut and tin aroma is about the same as the old, to me it smells a little like rasins. I like this tobacco in a large bowl, with its cube cut a gravity fill works best for me. Leave some room at the top as this tobacco expands a good bit on lightup. Tamp, relight and enjoy. I smoke a lot of English and personally I don't notice any Latakia. This blend has a unique flavor, I knew several gents back in the 70's who would smoke this all day long and never even try another blend. DPE had a dedicated following. It is a tobacco that is easy to enjoy, simple, robust flavor, a pleasurable hit of nicotine, there is no bite.

The old Ehrlichs shop was a wonderland of pipes and tobacco.

BertOlton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BertOlton (1)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This was my first pipe tobacco. Back in 1968, while living in Rhode Island, my Dad took me to the Ehrlich's shop on Tremont Street in Boston. At that time, they had pipes and pipe tobaccos all over the place...the display cases were worlds of wonder, with not a cigar in sight. Behind one counter, a wall of the shop was glassed in and behind the glass was a pipe making shop, where one of the Ehrlich's pipemakers would be at work fashioning one of the Ehrlich pipes. Might be brier, might be meerschaum...it was an incredible place. They published a color catalog back then and we got ourselves onto the mailing list. Every couple of months a new sales catalog would show up with the latest store specials along with enumerations of stock offerings.

The nutty, woodsy taste of their house blend, DPE, is a classic of American cube cut burley with some latakia and other elements. Dry, mild and delicious, it is closely recognized in Greg Pease's "Barbary Coast".

Sadly, the Ehrlich's shop closed down some years ago. As noted in prior reviews, DPE, or a version of DPE is still available through other sources, but it's not quite the same.

Papillon6 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Papillon6 (24)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Well first off my first pipe was an Ehrlich and back when they produced them they were sometimes called, 'the poor man's Dunhill' because of their quality. They are long since gone but their couple tobacco lines remain. This is a respectable tobacco blend that is mildly surprising. It builds in flavour. Almost to a point of a smoked ribeye in my opinion. It's a natural smoke and tastes like a quality burley/virginia to me. If you smoke it slowly it is quite refreshing on the palette and doesn't bite. A good quality natural tobacco that is somewhat hard to find. Give it a try if you pass their store some time. I got mine online from a friend who i was researching my pipes through. The brand has been around for decades and was a corner stone in Boston.

05/21/2006 Very well balanced, easy smoking American-English blend. Has more Latakia than I am smoking these days but a good one when I want a mild dose of it. Give it a try if you want a full flavored blend without being over-the-top with any one component. Update 11/06/2006: Four stars for Latakia fans, two and one-half if not.