A Stout blend consisting of 30% Latakia, 30% Orientals, Cigar leaf and Perique. A fine after dinner blend. Also perfectly suitable for Evening Fly-Fishing or Deep Contemplation.

BrandWatch City Cigar
Blended ByErnie Q
ContentsCavendish, Cigar Leaf, Kentucky, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique
Strength
Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste

I received my order of Nor'easter and Churchwarden at the same time from the fine folks at Watch City. Churchwarden, like Nor'easter is a well done kake that lives up to the description as a “stout” blend as it packs much more of a punch than Nor'easter. It also lacks the sweetness of Nor'easter as this one doesn't have any added Cavendish. I often find myself agreeing with many of Tom's (below) reviews, but I don't here because I believe the sharper flavor that is found in Churchwarden comes from the perique and not the cigar leaf, which seldom presents itself as sharp. I also think the cigar leaf is a supporting player and not the dominate flavor of the blend. I do think that Churchwarden is rougher around the edges and is geared for the more experienced pipe smoker. I do enjoy it best fully rubbed out and on the dry side. It will be interesting to see what a couple of years in the cellar does to this blend. I expect that it will soften some with time. Recommended.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (84)

Ultimately, this mixture was done in by the cigar leaf.

Overall, the bowls were enjoyable but all ended with a harsh, bitter and bad tobacco taste I have to attribute to the cigar leaf. I like my pipe tobaccos (English, VApers, Aros) like I like my ciagrs: Good tasting. This blend smoked well but the bowls ended with the taste of a bad maduro cigar.

I enjoyed N'oreaster much more which, according to Watch City, is the same blend without the cigar leaf.

Big-Myche Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big-Myche (1)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I like this blend.I'm fairly new to pipe smoking(by way of cigars) and was looking for a full tasting blend that wasn't a shredded cigar, this blend hits the spot. While it does have cigar leaf in it, I feel it still tastes like quality pipe tobacco but much more "stout". Also, it packs easy and stays lit, great for us "newbies". I purchased this blend from Ernie at Watch City himself, he's very knowledgeable and is a decent guy to boot. I highly recommend this blend.

Plex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plex (39)

In the Tin/Pouch or Mason Jar:

First off, this is no longer a ribbon cut but was received in a cake for home crumbling, slicing, dicing or just rubbing out. A delightful block that reminds of a chunk of particle-board soaked in oil or possibly some fine stout. Funny thing, their website states Ribbon Cut but as a bulk. It does state that in Crumble Cake format it is available in tins. I ordered tins but received an email saying they weren't available so they sent along a few bags.

The smell is deep in the orientals and Latakia with that tasty campfire goodness that always sets my mouth a watering! It is dark and rich with a decent moisture level; that is for a block. Breaks easy with some bending and crumbles out fairly well. If it dries in large chunks you might need a blender or mortar and pestle.

Advertised as a Balkan with cigar leaf and Green River Blk Cav. and some Perique. Just a hint of the Perique in the aroma, no detecting cigar leaf over those Orientals and that sweet smelling Latakia. I ain't picked out the pipe yet I'm already drooling!

Packing and Lighting:

Sprinkled it in to the bowl of an EX Sav for total tasting pleasure. Gave it a good crumbling and let it sit to dry about 90 minutes. The remaining big chunks were harder but broke up between the palms. You could over crumble and make dust so pay attention.

Lighting was more effort but after those first few charring tries this baby took hold and simmered to the end! I don't mind a slow start when it rewards with that even consistent burn to the bottom.

First Impression:

Right up there with Stokkebye Balkan Supreme but even a greater depth and darkness. Can't single out the cigar leaf or the Perique, at first, but it is there adding the tobacco equivalent of the subwoofer range.

Damn this is nice!

That Louisiana spice is just tickling the tongue and back of the nose as the first third expires and I find myself urgently puffing.

No bite, no bark, no bitch. This one is a real trooper smoldering on regardless how bad I abuse it.

This is a keeper. A real rotation clean-up kind of hitter. Reggie Jackson in the Series sort of powerhouse!

Overall:

Room Note; who cares! Let them go outside, but my sweety loves this smokey, dark, syrupy-deep, evil lusciousness; so beware. If your SO or CINC-Spouse or whatever can't take 6 campfires during s spring shower, then take your efforts outside!

I likes me Balkans; as well as me VaPer's, and other variants for a Latakia delivery.

But this, wow!! This rates as a Super Balkan. Order some, order some now or I'm going to cellar the whole damn production run. Wooohaaaaa Haaaaahoooo woo!

No really, try it, if you dare! 6 stars out of 4!

Muddy River Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Muddy River (7)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The description for this blend is excellent. I have fly fished while enjoying a bowl full of this. The perique is exquisite. I received an early sample of this blend and will definitely be ordering more.

Bayoupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bayoupipe (4)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

The Latakia and Orientals are excellent in this blend. I also find the Perique to be just about right...a little more wouldn't hurt. However, I find the cigar leaf to be a bit more than I would like. Don't get me wrong. I love a good cigar...I'm just not sure I want to put one in my pipe. I've tried 3 Watch City blends, now. And while I will recommend this to those who like cigar leaf, I'll have to rank this one 3rd, after Nor'Easter and Justice Mixture. I will add that it packs and burns easily, and the visual quality of the smoke is also satisfying.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Now this is a nice tobacco and one I will be ordering more of. It is a nice full bodied English with Latakia, Orientals, cigar leaf and Perique.

It burns nicely and is easily packed. The cigar leaf adds body to the blend and the Latakia does not overpower the Orientals or the Perique. I did not detect any flavor from the cigar leaf, just the other components which work quite well together.

I have had about 6 bowls so far and find myself craving it more and more. It smokes well in medium to large bowls as well as providing a dry smoke.

The broadcut smokes well and is easy to pack. Letting a bowl DGT overnight, I found the blend to be a bit more smooth, not that it is harsh. It is pretty smooth right out of the bag and my sample was not overly moist so not much drying time was needed.

This has more body than Robusto from Mr. Pease and better than JJ Fox's The Bankers, in my opinion. If you are a fan of full bodied English blends, then you owe it to yourself to try it. Heck, you should try it anyway. It never hurts to expand your horizons...

preppypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
preppypipe (57)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Watch City Cigar recently released two new latakia based blends of similar character I enjoyed "Churchwarden" most of the two and strongly echo Ken aka pipetongue's sentiments above about this wonderful blend but would like to also add that it needed to be dried quite a bit as did it's sister blend "Nor'Easter" before packing."The Churchwarden" is a dark ribbon cut tobacco in the pouch and has an absolutely heavenly aroma of rich latakia.It's got a fair bit of perique and cigar leaf as well and they work together so well that the flavors marry seamlessly throughout the bowl.I'm hard pressed to compare it to anything I've tried before but if I had to it would be somewhere between Robert Lewis "Tree Mixture" and "123 Mixture".I would also add that this blend should have truly excellent cellaring potential... HIGHLY RECOMMENDED prep 4/3/06

pipetongue1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipetongue1 (1)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my first review."The Churchwarden" is a new Creation of Ernie Q. at Watshcity Cigar,At charring lite nothing noticable happened, at full lite the tabac starts tasting wonderfully like an old fashioned "oriental", it needed two lites, as the bacy was somewhat moist from the sample I was provided.Packing was easy as it is a braodcut.Taste halfway is tremdously, and most assuridly oriental, the writeup on this, Perique/Latikia/Orientals/Cigar leaf,I could taste all the condimentals, but the Cigar, but that's ok 'cause I really don't enjoy cigarleaf in my bacy.At halfway and to finish the O/L/P held strong throughout till the end.the tabac aroma was all tabac, no toppings or casings noticed.The satification and aftertaste are great, this is one of the best tabacs of this type I have smoked in a long time, and it's going to be a large part of my cellar!