A combination of Cavendish, Burley, Perique and Deer Tongue which will make you think you're an island plantation owner.

Blend TypeBurley Based
ContentsBurley, Cavendish, Perique
FlavoringDeer Tongue
Strength
Taste
2.6
½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (38)

C & D?s Trinidad (bulk) is a mild tasting non-aromatic smoke that should appeal to most Burleyphiles ? especially as a mid-morning smoke when less body is desirable. Unsweetened Cavendish supported by a shallow Burley flavor is seasoned to absolute perfection by deertongue ? a well balanced base upon which Perique plays a duly restrained role, fading as the smoke progresses.

I do not find this blend to be particularly sweet. This is a dark, rather flat-tasting smoke, in a good way; and one where Perique (peppery and only somewhat fig-like) is used sensibly ? as a condiment rather than a main player. If Trinidad could be said to possess a featured element at all, it would be the Perique tamely cooperating with the Cavendish, occasionally producing vague tart notes. The deertongue is masterfully employed as a savory flavor adjustment without competing for attention. Overall a very interesting, well accomplished blend with a slightly saline and lasting finish.

My initial smoke, in a mid-sized pipe (~17mm), tasted like subdued Perique and deertongue, but it didn?t have much of a tobacco taste. It was not unpleasant, but it was not very satisfying either. I switched to a large bowled pipe and breath-sipped so as to engage the nose and sinuses as much as possible, and this blend began to release its gentle flavor: dark, earthy, savory-spiced, and absorbing. With Trinidad, slower is better. It is an easy-chair smoke that I enjoy with black coffee on a clear palate. I don?t find it particularly appealing at the start of the day, or at the end of a meal.

Summary: non-aromatic; no lighting or burning issues; good smoke volume; smokes dryly; not especially sweet; light bodied; vaguely earthy or musty; occasional cigar-like notes; muted Perique and deertongue; mild nicotine hit; no bite; sip from a large diameter bowl; it rewards, but does not demand one?s sensory focus.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Full Pleasant

I got this as an afterthought and boy am I glad. What an underrated sleeper blend! Burley, Perique, and Deertongue. For the burley fans out there, this is a must try. Comes in a broadcut leaf, easy to pack. On blaze up, there is an immediate assault of tastes, like dark caramal cooking....as it tones down, the flavor smoothes into a nice nutty burley, with a light deertongue flavor that some liken to vanilla- I'm not too sure. Maybe a wild Vanilla? Even so, the intermingle with the Perique makes a great spicey, flavorfull, burley mixture. It has its share of strength, and all this combined makes for a great great blend. I'm really surprised this isn't more popular.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (111)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium to Full Extra Strong

This blend has a sour note and there is way to much deer tongue. The Perique dose not mix well. I know that this is used in other blends but dosen't seem to work here. The Burley sorry to say bites and again the deer tongue lays on the back of your throat like a wet wool blanket.

Devonshire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Devonshire (47)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Upon opening the tin for the first time, the smell of deertongue was obvious. It give the blend a distinct menthol odor and taste. After smoking several bowls in various pipes, I can say that smoking this reminds me of taking medicated snuff.

Perqiue lovers shouldn't come looking for this blend, in my opinion. I tasted absolutely no perique during my smoking, and I was looking for it. For me, the menthol taste dominates this blend. If you love menthol, that's great, but if you're looking for something else, best move on.

CantTest Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CantTest (14)
Medium to Strong Strong Full Strong

If you don't like deer tongue, don't try this blend. You can smell it's rich, sweet aroma as you load your pipe, although the taste is more subdued. There also is a hint of cigar-leaf in the taste and for me this gives Trinidad it's strength. The cavendish, perique, and burley are in the background and offer only a solid support for the rich, full, and strong taste of the whatever is making me think cigar and of course the sweet taste of the herb.

Room note is awful to the one person who matters to me, the wife, but I've found that this blend really is an outdoors tobacco anyway, too strong for anything indoors but a smoking room, a big one. I prefer this blend when strolling along with the dogs on our usual route and for watching the sun set.

As a side note: My personal preference for this tobacco is a one to one mixture with Velvet and a few months of aging. The dryness of Trinidad offsets the too-wet feel of the Velvet and after a few months of age, I have a blend that has a perfect moist feel for a smoke that will burn without effort.

I thought this blend was quite good. I could not see or taste any Deer Tongue at all but my eyes are not as good as they once were. A very mild smoke with just the right amount of Perique to give it some zip. No one tobac dominates this mixture. Three solid stars for this one.

Aldo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aldo (31)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This blend arrives very dry in the pouch, almost crumbly..similar to many other CD products. It is almost a uniform tan color, with a few flecks of dark brown, and a very few flecks of green, which I take to be the deer tongue. It packs and lights easily and burns completely.

Honestly, I've tried this three times in three different pipes and I was never able to finish a single bowl. The overall sensation was a blast of heat and harshness which even going very "low and slow" was barely able to mitigate.

I was reminded of the old RYO days, when you had run out of tobacco, but managed to find the tail end of a pouch of Bugler tucked back in the drawer where it had been sitting for a year.

Just heat and harshness. Generally, with most blends to which I give a poor review, I can at least understand why somebody else would enjoy it. Not this time, though, although of course the phrase "to each their own" always applies.

augiegus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
augiegus (48)

This blend may seem like a normal run of the mill blend but alas it contains deer tongue. This is a green herb that I like though I feel one should look at the reviews of C&D blend # 104 Crooner. Deer tongue is an acquired taste and is not for everyone. I liked Crooner but it was subject to mixed reviews that should be noted. Taste being what these reviews are based is of course subject to each individual. This blend was tan, light olive green, and a tad dark thanks to the perique. It lit with one match and stayed lit. The taste on my palate was sweet/tangy somewhat like a Virginia flake. The smoke tickles the nose and to me smells great quite a few folks liked the smell of this blend. The taste of this blend will stay in the pipe though will eventually burn out.