In the early 1800's. the British Royal Navy opened tobacco trade routes to the New World. The British Admirals were ordered to ship the finest tobacco harvested in the New World to the Royal Family. Because only the best tobacco leaves were allowed to make the voyage back home, they became known as the "Admiral's Choice".

Notes: Dream Castle/Admiral's Choice pipe tobaccos are manufactured by Sutliff Tobacco Company.

BrandDream Castle Tobacco Company
Blended BySutliff Tobacco Company
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Cavendish
Strength
Taste
Very Mild, Mild to Medium
1.6
TheWhiteAfrican Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheWhiteAfrican (6)
Mild Medium Medium Tolerable

Bleh! What a disappointment, especially based on how much I usually love Admiral's Choice! I'm a big Dream Castle fan, keeping a small wooden jar of Admiral's Choice Vanilla Cavendish and Super Value Chocolate around, so I decided to pick up some of this stuff on one of my low-end tobacco runs. Smoked alright, nothing special. But the smell in the pipe afterward was revolting! It was like a fireplace where you had burned the soul of a skunk-demon...at least, that was the best I could come up with. It was so bad, I had to force myself to smoke it again, just to be sure it wouldn't be a waste to just toss the bag. To be sure I could taste it originally again, I used a different pipe. This time, I picked up on the foulness immediately, and it went right to the ashtray. If you want cheap and good tobacco, stick with Admiral's Choice Vanilla Cavendish or the Chocolate Super Value. The Black & Gold is simply unsavory.

Amos Iron Wolf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Amos Iron Wolf (7)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I rather liken this to fishing. You can spend your whole life sitting quietly with a cane pole and a few worms at a favorite fishin hole or two and spend a lifetime of gentle, pleasant days. Or, you can experience the broad range of styles, fish, and equipment and enjoy a lifetime of rich, varied activity. I think of other tobaccos and pipes as the later - a world filled with complexity, adventure, and full activitity.

That said, a person could do a lot worse than go through life drawing mild, lightly sweet smoke through a cob. This is where I find AC B&G Cavendish. If you like to experience variety and fuller flavored tobaccos this one will get lost in the journey. This is a simple, mild, pleasant, but unexciting tobacco. There is nothing pretentious about it. Okay, maybe the bag description is a bit so. Just like spending a lifetime with a cane pole lazily dipped into a quiet little fishin hole somewhere, whiling away the hours, a person could spend the same time doing much the same thing smoking this in a corn cob pipe. In a cob this is simple, soft pleasure out of the mainstream (pun not intended). There is nothing wrong with that and at times I can envy someone who can be content with this combination.

I like a little bit more in terms of fullness and variety. As such, I'm spending time searching for the elusive, "just right" tobacco and pipe combination. To continue the fishing analogy, I don't need the ultimate fly fishing experience or the Bass Masters pro tour. Maybe something more in the realm of some nice panfishing/small trout work with a decent fly or spinning rig and a small selection of flys and lures. Taking a cane pole break now and then is a diversion that requires me to stop, breathe slowly, and appreciate the minimalist, laid back approach. Thus, Black & Gold Cavendish is an infrequent stop. It isn't fulfilling or really satisfying, just a minimal break now and then that requires you slow down and pay attention or you will miss it.

Dry it out some before you pack. Pack lightly at the bottom of the bowl. Use a corn cob pipe. Clear your mind, settle down and enjoy the subtle, mild smoke. Blink and you will miss the taste. There is nothing wrong with that. Just don't expect bold flavour and robust smoking experience. That isn't the song this one sings. It's more of a soft humming as one does simple, pleasurable things. There are worse ways to live.

If comparing it to similar tobaccos it is a 3.5 or 4 star. However, comparing it to the bigger pond, I give it a solid 2 stars.

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (71)
Extremely Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

This blend comes soaking wet in a ziplock bag, pouch note is that of table syrup. Difficult to light or keep lit due to its moisture level and is quite oily to the touch. Almost not tobacco taste or any nicotine hit and cloyingly sweet, it will ghost the pipe and your fingertips. I tried drying it out for a week and nothing changed, this stuff is permanently wet. Id avoid it at all costs, the price is almost too good to resist (i know i fell for the trap too) Probably one of the worst blends going

Pipe Used: Largo Oom Paul

Age When Smoked: Current production

Purchased From: CVS

Similar Blends: Middleton's Black and Mild.

whitebriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
whitebriar (29)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

inexpensive tobacco--good value for the money--

nice aroma in the bag-- needs drying--lot's of drying--3 days before it was ready--

packs easily; lights easily-- did use a char light-- could smoke hot and bite--very slow puffing is the key to keeping it from biting--

slight gurgle at mid pipe--cleared up easily with a swab-- more flavorful towards the end of the bowl-- a bit of dottle left--no white ash here--

handled correctly a decent value--not a premium smoke, but i have done a lot worse--

Bentley Cavendish Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bentley Cavendish (4)

A newbie to pipe smoking this what I started with. It's readily available at CVS drug stores, which is where I bought my corn cob pipe. Had a good enough time puffing away on my first few tries, but have since "graduated" to the Captain Black brand which I now wish I had started with instead. Live and learn, right?

Folks complimented me on the room note, but on trying Captain Black's White I can tell you that the difference is night and day when it comes to taste. Admiral's Choice came in an 8 oz bag and I now have 6 oz left which I doubt I'll ever smoke again, so if you want to try some let me know (wink). If you never smoked anything before it might be a way to start, but you don't get as much bang for your buck as you might with Captain Black, and the taste is harsher (to me). No doubt I will graduate from the Captain Black selections I'm currently enjoying to better quality blends in the future, but for now they're a-ok. I'll go into those in another review.

As far as Admiral's Choice goes, however, I would venture a guess that you could do worse, but probably a lot better. If it's the only thing available (and it's usually not) you might get a bag and split it with some buddies if you are all trying out pipes for the first time. Corn cobs are cheap enough and work very well; I now have four which I rotate during the week. If you find you don't like smoking you aren't out a lot of dough. If you are satisfied with Admiral's Choice after your first few go-rounds, just know there's better (and equally available) tobac that won't break your budget. Again, this is the review of a newbie meant for newbies. I probably won't buy my first briar for three or six months until I'm sure I'm packing correctly, more familiar with various tobac types, etc.

Thanks for reading.

Dreamcastle is owned by Altadis, and this line is marketed in CVS pharmacies across the country.

This is your typical steam cased aromatic. It is on a par with the likes of Lane's 1-Q. It is sweet,smells nice, and smokes fairly wet. It is best in a cob, clay, or meer, as this helps mitigate the moisture. Because these blends sit in the store for so long, there is a goodly porton of PG in them. This is just the nature of the beast.

If you like Captain Black, but don't care to pay $25-30 for the large tin, this is a much more economical option. It runs about $8 for 8oz where I live. I can't identify the flavoring of this one, but it seems "maple-like", and as mentioned, sweet. It can nip if you push it, so go slowly. The tobacco flavor is almost imperceptible to me, and the finish is a bit ashy.

ColdHaven Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ColdHaven (3)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

When I bought this brand I thought that it would do as a good stand-in for Captian Black Royal. I was sadly wrong. I am not sure if it is the different amount of gold burley that they use, but the taste is much different. They do not even smell the same.

This smokes VERY wet. Its sticky. You can puff as slow as you can and you will still get a gurgle out of your pipe as it protests in anguish at being treated in such a fashion. You could probably leave this stuff out in the sun for a week and it wouldn't be dry enough yet. For all its wetness, though, it somehow manages to stay lit. In fact, most of these tobaccos by this brand pretty well stay lit no matter what you do to them.

With Captain Black Royal, as an example, you can taste the sweet choclate and vanilla as the smoke fills the room and the notes of sweetness revist you a second time. This tobbaco, however, leaves much to be desired. It can nip your tongue if you are not careful. For some reason it burns pretty hot.

Someone noted that the taste was akin to maple. This may be true, but it surely does not taste anything like the blend of Captain Black Royal, and that is just as well, or I suppose no one would buy Captian Black for the price. I am not rightly sure what it tastes like to me, but there are times I can taste something sweet, though I am not wholly sure what it is I am tasting. Also note that the aroma of the tobacco is as faint as the taste.

There is a saying in life: "You get what you pay for." and that is certainly true in this instance.