Bulk aromatic cavendish with a mocha topping.

Blended ByMcClelland
Manufactured ByMcClelland
ContentsBlack Cavendish
FlavoringCocoa / Chocolate, Coffee
Strength
Taste

3.1
Very Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Mocha Black is indeed a square cut Black Cavendish that is loaded with Mocha dressing. My 8 ounce bag was double sealed and several years old, yet the leaf was still extremely moist and I wondered how in the world it would stay lit.

This turned out to be a delightful after dinner smoke. I gave the leaf a good light and needed few relights as I slowly smoked a bowl right down to the bottom. The flavor was indeed remindful of a deep, rich, dark coffee mocha and had enough tobacco flavor to suit me, too.

This is a very mild blend in the strength department and I really enjoyed the flavor enhancement presented when I blew smoke through my nose and again when I slowly let the smoke escape from my mouth so that I could inhale it through my nose.

My wife and children loved the room bouquet that lingered in the air of my living room for a long time, even after the last shard of tobacco was consumed.

I gave up sweets for Lent and hope I didn't cheat by smoking this blend.

Pipestud

Pipe Used: Perry White Sandblasted Canadian

Age When Smoked: At least 3-years

Similar Blends: Iwan Ries Three Star Banner Lite.

Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

The taste of mocha is rather tame, though the smell of the tobacco is stronger than the taste. Chocolate and coffee are the main flavors though I got some vanilla from the black cavendish. A nice all day work and play smoke that never gets harsh, but the toppings, mild as they are, diminish towards the finish. While I wouldn't want it to have an intense hit on my senses, this just doesn't quite do enough either.

Dr_frankenstein Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr_frankenstein (2)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Mocha Black. This is a wonderful aromatic. it was the perfect moisture from the bag and has smoked perfectly every time. It packs fairly well for the cut, but I do like to grind it down just a bit for my taste. I dont find as much mocha/coffee flavor as I do aroma, but i do get a clean mellow tobacco taste during the whole burn. I dont find it to be hot smoking or goopy at all, just burns cleanly and smoothly to the bottom with dark grey ash and minimal dottle. The room note is fantastic to most people so its great for when its presence will be known. I can smoke this all day, no bite, no excessive tamp or re-lights. It is real low on the vitamen-N score, but it mixes very well so it can be amped up if thats your thing. I really enjoy this blend, just very simple and straight forward and is accepted by most when your in public. I dont know if I will rotate this regularly... but I will definitly keep some in inventory.

Pipe Used: Cob, Sterling Hall, Glass.

Age When Smoked: new bulk

Purchased From: P&C

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (163)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Is a pure Black Cavendish tobacco.

Notes of Cocoa, Walnuts and Coffee. Is very sweat and slow burning.

Is a ribbon, but large ribbon, is difficult to fill in the bowl, and also more difficult to mantain it lighted. But is good.

Piper@thegates Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper@thegates (20)

I quite liked this tobacco. Pitch black Cavendish with a strong coffee aroma. Easy to fill the bowl and maintain a light. The taste is less strong than one would expect from the aroma but nevertheless this tobacco provides a mild, fairly smooth alternative if you're looking for a mild aromatic. Also on the plus side is the fact that this blend smokes relatively dry for an aromatic and doesnt gunge up the pipe like many others do.

BobB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BobB (19)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

4/8/09 Upgrading to 4 stars. I work nights on a flightline and I find that this is the pouch I dip into every night. Yes I know it's sweet and light, but for something comfortable and pleasant everyday at work, it's one of the right stuffs.

Now on MY time, it'll be heavier or an English. At work, when I might have to put her down at any moment and get back to it later, this will do. Relights easily and holds flavor. Bulk prices, gonna be around awhile more and you can use it to blend, I like it.

3/20/09 Damp with very little rubbing to do. Mostly to break up some soft chunks and let air a few minutes.

Chocolate brownie with walnuts and a little coffee flavor. Great at the end of the day with a cup of strong(I drink it black)coffee. Tastes like the aroma from the bag. Room note is very pleasant with lots of smoke. This is really decent stuff.

Wish it were a little stronger, but can also be used to blend. We go on...

ChicagoPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChicagoPipe (45)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I have to agree with reviewer Joseph Durham, this is a great aromatic. I think this is one of the "sleeper" Mc Clelland bulk blends. My local B&M recommended this blend, and I have been smoking it for three months. The mocha flavor is fantastic and dosen't bite. The room note is excellent and will be apporved by all. Mocha Black is a nice change of pace from the VA and perique blends I enjoy.

My friend recommended I mix Mc Clelland X-90 burley 1/2 & 1/2 with Mocha Black which he smokes all the time. X-90 has a light chocolate flavor, and combined with the Mocha, makes for even a better tasting aromatic. Give this combination a try and you won't be sorry.

Highly Recommended

Joseph Durham Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joseph Durham (16)
Mild Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

McClelland has some wonderful blends, which goes without saying. However, #620 Mocha Black is one of their best. This is a simple Black Cavendish, but a true enjoyment.

If you are like me and want a cup of coffee every now ?and-then or all the time, this is a blend for you. When you open the pouch you are surrounded by the rich aroma of a hot cup of java. It smells just as good as it tastes, if not better

Load the pipe pretty tight and pack it well. There are a lot of extras to this blend, and sometimes it can be difficult to keep it lit. However, if you have it burning good, you should have no problems at all. Before you even light the pipe take a quick draw. You can taste the mocha; if you think that the draw tastes good, wait until you light it.

The first puff is as good as the last. You will forever smell the aroma of coffee during this smoke session. You will either want another bowl or you will want a cup of coffee, or you can be like me and do both. The tobacco will burn to a nice pure white ash. There is absolutely no chance in tongue bite. I have had it smoking so much that the smoke just continued to roll and never received the slightest hint of tongue bite.

I recommend this to everyone that enjoys a cup of coffee or just loves aromatics. I have smoked this blend for about a year now. I have 4 ounces open, and I have some in the cellar. This is a definite ?forever blend.?

Pipeing Joe __ \ \ \(_)

Tplumm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tplumm (21)

This is a good quality Cavendish. The smell of coffee and chocolate are definitely noticeable from the bag, but unfortunately very little of it comes through in the taste. This is still a pleasurable smoke despite the lack of flavor, my biggest qualm with this is the cut (LARGE ribbon) as it does not pack well for me and is hard to keep lit.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Comment = Smooth, Mid Strength, good Flavor, No Coffee Taste, nice smoke

Sangreel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sangreel (5)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I was not impressed with this tobacco. I found that I had to put the pipe down and then relight it over and over again. After a bit, about half way down the bowl I had a very unpleasant taste.. bitter. I did mix it 25% with a untreated tobacco and found it more to my liking. It may be that I just don't like very heavy infused tobaccos. I will try another batch and see how that goes.

kodiak Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kodiak (2)
Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

This is a very fine smelling tobacco for an aromatic, but after smoking this, I found out I do not like aromatics. The people around me at the coffee shop enjoyed it.

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Mocha Black has a slight coffee aroma in the bag but little, if any, flavor at the match.

A very smooth but ultimately bland and boring black cavendish.