A mixture of Burleys, Latakia and deer tongue (an herb) which adds a distinct tanginess.

Blended ByCraig Tarler
Blend TypeBurley Based
ContentsBurley, Latakia
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor, Deer Tongue
Strength
Taste
Mild, Medium to Full, Full
Very Pleasant, Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
2.3
obxemt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
obxemt (26)

Not bad; a quality blend. Not remarkable enough to make me buy more when the sample bag is gone. If you're trying to decide on a deer tongue blend, go with Crooner instead. I expected a full Scottish blend because of the name, but this it not.

Ivanhoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ivanhoe (35)

I bought a sample of Bag Piper because I wanted to try one of the C&D deer tongue blends, and because I usually like C&D's burley-latakia blends. I had read all of the reviews of Crooner on this web site and had no idea what to expect.

A lot of the Crooner reviewers describe a vanilla taste from the deer tongue. After smoking about an ounce of this stuff, I think I understand what they were talking about but it does not taste like vanilla to me. There are two aspects of the deer tongue that I notice. First and foremost, it adds a sharp tanginess to the beginning of the smoke that I enjoy a lot. Toward the middle of the bowl, it settles into more of a creamy sweetness. I think this second taste is what the other reviewers were comparing to vanilla. It's not cloying. There's just a pleasant hint of soft, herbal sweetness.

There are several different burleys visible in the tobacco, and a condimental amount of latakia. I find that this combination works very well for me; your taste may vary. Over all, I find this to be a very pleasant smoke. I don't want to smoke it every day, but I have been finding myself craving it about once a week. I'm sure I'll buy more after I exhaust my current supply.

omegapd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
omegapd (81)
Medium None Detected Full Very Pleasant

This was my favorite of the deer tongue blends and DT mixes extremely well with latakia. The room aroma is fantastic and the flavor is more spicy than sweet. I liked it quite a bit but don't feel that it should be a premium blend from C&D just because of the deer tongue. Price-wise there's better options out there...