A mixture of Burleys, Latakia and deer tongue (an herb) which adds a distinct tanginess.

Blended ByCraig Tarler
Blend TypeBurley Based
ContentsBurley, Latakia
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor, Deer Tongue
Strength
Taste
Ivanhoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ivanhoe (35)

I bought a sample of Bag Piper because I wanted to try one of the C&D deer tongue blends, and because I usually like C&D's burley-latakia blends. I had read all of the reviews of Crooner on this web site and had no idea what to expect.

A lot of the Crooner reviewers describe a vanilla taste from the deer tongue. After smoking about an ounce of this stuff, I think I understand what they were talking about but it does not taste like vanilla to me. There are two aspects of the deer tongue that I notice. First and foremost, it adds a sharp tanginess to the beginning of the smoke that I enjoy a lot. Toward the middle of the bowl, it settles into more of a creamy sweetness. I think this second taste is what the other reviewers were comparing to vanilla. It's not cloying. There's just a pleasant hint of soft, herbal sweetness.

There are several different burleys visible in the tobacco, and a condimental amount of latakia. I find that this combination works very well for me; your taste may vary. Over all, I find this to be a very pleasant smoke. I don't want to smoke it every day, but I have been finding myself craving it about once a week. I'm sure I'll buy more after I exhaust my current supply.