A popular blend of fine tobacco with a suggestion of mint and balsam. Enjoyably mellow. The blond character of the finest Oriental leaf is enhanced with the lightest hint of mintand rounded off with choice Burley, Kentucky, and Virginia leaf.

Notes: Formerly branded by Douwe Egberts, but now produced by the Imperial Tobacco Group, as other Amphora Blends.

BrandAmphora
Manufactured ByImperial Tobacco
ContentsBurley, Kentucky, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
FlavoringMint, Other / Misc
Packaging50g Pouch
CountryNL
Strength
Very Mild, Mild to Medium
Taste
2.3
albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (163)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

I enjoy this, sweet, balsamic, pleasable Mellow and fruity scent and taste, slow burning. Made with high quality Tobaccos. Orininally prepared by Douwe Egberts Royal Factories, Nederlands, now are branded by Imperial Tobacco Group. See this.

ELF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ELF (40)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I'm a Die-Hard Virginia FAN;and 99%of what I fill my Pipe with,comes in a 'Tin'.Amphora Mellow Blend+St.Bruno Flake are probably the only 2pouch blends I buy.Mellow Mixture is a Quite nice Tobacco(Amphora's 2nd Product);This mixture has been around 4many years. I find it Similiar2-McC's,Captain Cool. It's relatively Inexpensive,I buy 1pouch Usually around Christmas Time(I smoke a lot More When I'm In2 the Nog+Rum) I find it smokes best Packed Loose,in a Large Cob. (3 out of 4)

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (71)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

If you are a Canadian pipe smoker this should be a familiar sight, for the most part amphora, Sail and Captain Black are our only OTC options unless we order from stateside online retailers or drive to an over priced specialty shop. The mint in mellow blend is more detectable in the bowl than in the pouch and is not overpowering. Good dose of lady N and easy to smoke, similar to sail yellow in many respects. Not the best offering by Amphora but definitely smokable. Here in the great white North a pouch of this stuff will run you $26 bucks so experimenting can be a costly affair, this one is worth a try.

Pipe Used: progress oomh Paul

Similar Blends: Sail yellow.

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (65)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Hmm.... Navy Flake Menthol? I dunno, but I don't mind this stuff.

"Mellow" is kind of an odd name for this. Amphora Original is pretty mellow, really, and possibly more mellow than this. A fairly bright leaf, with a light, easy tobacco flavour. Undercurrents are indeed balsam and mint, which as noted previously, can be transendentally enjoyable (or abysmal, I suppose, if you don't like it). These flavor notes come and go, with a typically dutch spicey/dry tobacco base.

If you hate the stand-by dutch tobaccos Amphora or Sail, probably this won't do much for you. If, on the other hand, you just can't think of what to smoke while waxing your cross-country skis, then this might just be the thing.

Quality is high, smokes well leaving only ash and a few unburned bits (kind of typical of the cut, I find, which is more like a broken rubbed flake than a true ribbon imho).

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

February 2006.

Over the year's,I have tried three pouches of this wretched blend,and each time I think why do I bother??

Well I do know why I bother,when anybody else smoke's this blend,it smell's 'Really Good'

It light's very easily and stay's lit for age's,for the first three to four bowl's it's great.Infact,even wonderful at time's. Then,when it come's to that fifth bowl,it positively reek's,with a true taste of rank mint,from hell's garden it self!!! Then I start sneezing and my sinus's burn,my eye's water,my throat hurt's,and then my ear's even burn,like a red hot poker is stuck in both of them. Ouch!!

It leave's my pipe's goopy,and has taken awhile to get rid of that horrible,and dreadful flavour after that fifth bowl.

"Mellow,it is not" Get the picture?

It's a definite 'No Go' anymore,Ever Again!!!!

If your a dare-devil,try it at your own peril!!

NedF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NedF (22)
Very Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

Similar to their original offering with a bit of balsam; not mint, not menthol, no pine trees, but balsam of all things. It has more flavour than original (which makes me question their naming convention), but whether you enjoy that extra? ...I suspect you wont.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)

The aroma is kind of funny. Partially rubbed flakes.

The taste is kind of bland.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)

This was my weirdest experience with Amphora.

I will keep it short: beurk. This mint/balsam thing, stay away from it!