A mild yet full bodied mixture of Blended Turkish Ribbon, Latakia, with a touch of Perique.

Brandpipesandcigars.com
Blended ByEric Nicolas
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Perique, Latakia
Strength
Taste
Medium to Full, Full
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable, Tolerable to Strong
Pipe-billed Grebe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe-billed Grebe (18)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

This owl has a well-proportioned head. The components are few and are melded quite well. The description names three ingredients: Turkish, Latakia, and Perique, so if you like those I bet you'll like this. In the bag I see black leaf (Lat & Per) and a uniform velvety brown (Turkish), and that's it.

In the bowl there is a cigar-like note to Owl's Head which I suppose comes from whatever Turkish variety this is. There are also peppery and nutty notes as well as an occasional hint of something like mulling spices. I've smoked it in a variety of pipes of differing shapes and sizes and like it best in a tall, narrow chamber.

Owl's Head is one of the best bulk blends I've tried in this genre, and I believe I'll be ordering more once my current supply runs dry (which I believe will happen shortly).

Haebar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Haebar (5)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

This is the most satisfying English blend that I have tasted in a long time. It is well balanced without sacrificing body and strength. Mine was received in a fairly dry condition and smoked well right out of the bag, needing no drying. Satisfying is the word that comes to mind with this blend: satisfying body, satisfying volume, and satisfying flavor. The flavor is not a strained mix of flavors but more of a perfect union; no one tobacco type sticks it's head out for attention.

SApipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SApipe (31)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco has a magnificent heavy smoked aroma right out of the package! Even more so than Altadis Count Pulaski. The tobacco is real crunchy (i.e. porous) making it a little harder to stay lit, so it requires frequent packing. It really has a strong latakia room aroma and that peppery plum flavor of the Perique. This one has more perique than their Louisiana Red, so it really provides a spicy taste! The price is very pleasing as well. It just has a little too much latakia for me. I'll give it 3-stars.

bushi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bushi (12)

I really enjoy this tobacco. It has a very satisfying rich flavor. The Turkish & Latakia dance perfectly with the Perique giving this a unique flavor. The Perique adds a very nice bit of spice to this wonderful blend. I would recommend this to those that enjoy Sam's Blend from C&D or if you are looking for a unique smoking experience.

Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Wow! What a surprise this was! This is a variation of Sam's Blend or Mississippi Mud by C&D. A very flavorful and potent mixture. The Latakia almost attacks you right from the pouch!This is a very heavy mixture to be savored after dinner.This is in the flavor class of Penzance or Pirate Kake. The flavor is so rich and it will leave ou satisfied for hours after you smoke it. It must be smoked dry . I made the mistake of adding distilled water and it altered the flavor in a most unpleasant way.IMHO this is Sam's Blend with the addition of Turkish tobacco.It is not for the faint of heart. If you enjoy really wonderful Latakia laden mixtures,this is for you. 4 of4 stars!

chetking Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chetking (54)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Overwhelming Tolerable

Update: My apologies to Mission - the blend I reviewed is from pipesandcigars.com and was purchased at the Habana Premium Cigar Shoppe in Albany, NY. Still not good even though I love a number of the great blends put out by Russ and this outstanding shop including Trout Stream, Country Gold and Danny Boy.

The Owl's Head blend I smoked came by mail order out of the Mission Pipe Shop in Olde Cali. I am just at a loss to recommend this blend even to a proven enemy. An absolutely bitter, rough tasting tobac that left a foul aftertaste; I even tried smoking this in a virgin cob to no avail. A thoroughly unpleasant encounter overall. This version is way too heavy on the Latakia and the Turkish tobac within is just plain nasty.

Okay, so I'm a sweet aro lover and burley meister at heart, but I do occasionally switch to a mild English or so-called Oriental blend; this one just doesn't do it. I thought this pouch would get better with age. Let it sit on the shelf for a while but it just got worse. Not recommended even in the coldest of weather and climes when any old tobac will do because your're more keyed to surviving the extreme termperatures around you than weighing the finer points inside the bowl.

Flintlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flintlock (14)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

I tried this as a change of pace from aromatic blends. It is a good smoke for the golf course or mowing the lawn. I normally prefer lighter tobak such as Trout Stream or Dan's Blue Note.

Be careful to smoke this dry and slowly as to not scorch the tounge.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)

Nice name, and I like owls. Not bad, but like many other tobaccos I've tried. A quality generic, but not very memorable or great. I much prefer pipes and cigars' Count Pulaski. Perhaps it's the perique I can live without. I should probably revisit this one early in the day when my mouth doesn't taste of other things.

Two and a half of five stars