This is a mixture of Golden Cavendish Slices mixed with a sweet Black Cavendish. Perfect for tying flies or stepping out of your tent on a cool misty morning.

Brandpipesandcigars.com
Taste

A.E. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A.E. (22)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Trout Stream from Pipes and Cigars is understated excellence. As primarily a English/Balkan blend smoker, I'm VERY critical of aromatics. This one is so well done, I'm obliged to include it as one of my very favorites, period. The only other aromatic I think is classified with it is Sunset Rum by Milan. The mild Maple casing is elegantly placed on top of very fine tobacco blending. I think the folks at P&C should be applauded. The smoke is velvety, there is no bite, it burns long and smooth, the taste and flavor are richly delicious. The aroma is so comforting, even intoxicating. I rarely smoke aromatics to the bottom of the bowl because of the sour tar and bitterness that often comes through from the sugars and flavoring. Not so with Trout Stream. It left no tar, just a grey/white crunchy ash. Trout Stream is a one of the best reasons for a man to smoke a pipe.

Pipe Used: Boswell Churchwarden

Age When Smoked: Recent

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

zwolanek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zwolanek (18)
Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

I just finished a half pound of Trout Stream and will be ordering a whole bunch more. Behind Butternut Burley, this is my favorite aromatic. The stretch between these two offerings from Albany and the next best aromatic is about five miles.

The difference lies in the negatives - both Trout Stream and Butternut Burley avoid what other aromatic offerings seem to insist - Goop plus goop, chemical flavoring, big-time cake, hot or bite or both, sourness at the end. Heck, that describes 90% of the aromatics I've tried. The ones who avoid those negatives, such as Sutliff's Navigator, have no flavor at all.

Avoid all those issues with Trout Stream and Butternut Burley. They smoke smooth, tasty, and all the way to the bottom. The flavor of both includes butterscotch. As another reviewer pointed out, Trout Stream is NOT broken flake. This is shag, with all its advantages.

I think this is the number one seller from pipesandcigars.com, and I can see why. Cavendish plus cavendish plus light, sweet toppings - you see this coming, right? This is the Bob Newhart of tobaccos. There is no need to pay any attention to it, and it won't grab you, but it is mildly entertaining. No one will rave about it, but no one will object, either. Either this or Butternut Burley would be my recommendation for an absolute newbie pipe smoker, or an experienced person like me who likes to change pace a lot.

Very highly recommended. I hope it cellars well because I am stocking up.

piperboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
piperboy (4)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

this blend is not my favorite, but it is very good! it smokes smooth and stays lit. i noticed a bit of a bite, but nothing bad. it has a light flavoring which makes it very relaxing its not in your face with flavor. its a very enjoyable smoke and i would recommend this tobacco.

Pipe Used: peterson system

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

cturnitsa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cturnitsa (9)

HPCS Adirondack Trout Stream - every bit as good as the gents in my online pipe smoker's club have said it was.

I like mellow aromatics, and this one certainly answers the mail.

It is a nice mix of cavendish tobaccos (golden with black), and has lots of goodness going for it - after one smoke, I can say it packed easy, lit well and stayed lit, smoked smooth.

Has a nice butterscotch-like smell in the pouch, and had a nice mild smell to the smoke.

This one will definitely be working its way into my regular rotation.

portugesepride Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
portugesepride (7)

I love Trout Stream. As a newcomer to the pipe tobacco world, I have been trying many blends, both aromatic and non-aromatic. Although I am trying new blends every day, I MUST revisit this one over and over. Like the name suggests, I can't wait to take it out on my fishing trips this year!

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Trout Stream is a very straight forward aromatic. It burns on the dry side and doesn't leave goop in the bowl. It is very mild to mild in strength and not overly cased, at least as aromatics are concerned. The TR description states that this is a broken flake, however I didn't see any in my one ounce bag. It is the type of aromatic that is easily an all day blend for aro smokers as it doesn't require very much attention. I could not detect any tongue bite, even when pushed. Aromatic smokers that are looking for some complexity (yes, there are aromatics that offer complex flavors) would be better served to pass this one over in lieu of some of P&S's tinned aromatic blends. Trout Stream would be a very good choice for newer pipe smokers that want to start out with aromatics. Recommended.

Room Note Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Room Note Professor (39)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Full marks for a velvety soft, flavourful smoke with a pleasant room note! The polar opposite of bite! I agree with other reviewers - this one is super easy to smoke. It burns by itself. This mainly Burley tobacco (with a little Virginia and Black Cavendish added to keep things interesting) is mild but quite tasty - not bland like so many Black Cavendish aromtics.

Both the pouch smell and room note are that of butterscotch. Most non-smokers like it, although I can understand how one reviewer's lady friend could describe it as stale. Butterscotch, by its very nature, provides a warm, almost stuffy aroma unlike the freshness offered by certain vanilla tobaccos, for example Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream and Dan's Blue Note. Nevertheless, in my experience most non-smokers enjoy the room note.

BobB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BobB (19)

An exceptional everyday smoke. Nice moisture content from the bag and packs easily with little attention needed during the burn. A little touch of sweetness with every puff. No real tobacco flavor or bite, don't think it was intended for that.

I find smoking it makes me smile. I do that a lot anyway, but it means I don't take the tabacco too seriously. There is absolutely nothing adventurous or serious about this blend. It's just enjoyable either as an everyday smoke or as a nice diversion.

They do a nice job and keep it inexpensive. It's worth trying and keeping around.

Smiles ain't so bad.

BBK357 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBK357 (7)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

With a name like "trout stream", I was not sure what to expect, something fishy??? WOW, when you open the bag, the fresh scent will hit you. This is the BEST smelling fresh tobacco I have ever smelled (in the aromatic category). I dont know how they did it, the scent is heavy and sweet, but not overwhelming. The flavor stays with the tobacco most of the bowl. It is a lite smoke, but not too lite where you are left empty and wanting something else. The only thing you will want is another bowl after you get done smoking your first. The flavor is a butternut/caramel/??im not sure, but it sure is good!. Wonderful room note. I have been smoking this on my porch, and when I go inside and come back out, the smell lingers and it is great. My wife loves it too. I highly recommend this blend to ANYONE. I dont care if you only smoke english/balkan blends, do yourself a favor and try this stuff, it is that good. **

WV Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WV Piper (1)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Just smoked my first bowl of this and felt compelled to review it. Aroma from the pouch made me salivate! Sweet butterscotch without cloying. My pipe gurgled a little after a few minutes but I attribute that to not letting the tobacco dry out enough (on the upside I smoked this to the bottom of the bowl without a single relight). The flavoring did not at all get in the way, and about halfway through it gave way to a real nice mellow tobacco flavor that I could enjoy all day long. A hint of the sweetness came back at the very end, which was a pleasant surprise. All in all, a nice pleasant all day, any day smoke. One of the few aromatics that I would keep on hand regularly.

Pipe Used: MM cob with Walker Briar Works Forever Stem

Purchased From: Pipes & Tobacco dot com

trout_stag Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
trout_stag (1)

Smokes very smooth. Middle of the road across the board. Slight tongue bite when smoked too fast. Buttery goodness comes in as a background to a very well blended tobacco. Smoked as one of my first in the hobby. Will be ordering more to store up on.

Pipe Used: B.C.

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars

Preacher Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Preacher Pipes (5)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I had heard nothing but great comments about this blend and ordered 4 ounces to try out for winter, looking for some blends that are both palatable to me and well received/tolerated by those I'm around.

The tin note is a wonderful butterscotch aroma, one that made me anxious to try this blend. I found it to be good to go out of the pouch, but a tad drying time would be okay, too. AS is normal for me, I loaded it into a MM Legend for the inaugural smoke and set back expecting a tasty, enjoyable experience. But I didn't quite get what I expected ...

I smoked a total of 4 bowls, three in cobs and one in a meer, of this blend before deciding that it isn't my "bowl of baccy". The taste is not nearly as pronounced as the tin note, unfortunately. I found it to be very flat, boring, and mostly tasteless. The room note was quite nice though. So, this blend is not for me, but that doesn't mean it isn't for you: almost everyone else loves it.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (64)

Still to this day I have not come across an American style aromatic mixture that I would give a four star rating to. That said, Trout Stream comes very close. It smokes cool and flavorful and it's extremely forgiving to those that have a tendency to puff away rather than sip their pipe. Normally I smoke at a fairly slow pace. However, I have smoked this with pipe clenched while doing yard work, casting aside my usual cadence and all technique for that matter, and to my surprise it refused to bite or even bark.

The flavor is a simple straight-forward soft creamy vanilla & maple, mixed with warm tobacco tones and a touch of sweetness on the tongue. The room note is quite pleasant and the strength is mild. A definite upgrade from any of the OTC aromatic pouch blends on the market. As with most aromatics, slight off-flavors come through here and there but they are less noticeable compared to other Cavendish mixtures. This blend smokes real nice in a cob and equally as well in a briar. Good stuff.

Tplumm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tplumm (17)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A great fall-time smoke. Maple flavor isn't always something I crave, but when I do this is the one. No tongue bite, great taste, great smell, great all around. I dry it overnight and with that it stays lit well and burns all the way to the bottom. One of my favorites.

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Bought some of this based on the reviews here and will be adding this to my rotation. A great daily smoke, nice and mild. Try a few ounces, especially if you like aromatics like I do. Will be cellaring a few pounds of this, a good "go to" blend for sure. Highly recommended for newbies or aromatic lovers.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 9

After Taste = 9

Raw Score = 55

Rated Percentage = 92%

Comment = Very Mild, Very Smooth, Mellow, good Flavor but just a little Sweet. This is better than Lane Limited 1-Q because it has more Flavor

KudzuKen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KudzuKen (3)

Trout Stream is by far my favorite right now. It never bites my tongue, has a good taste, and a good room note. Plus, from Pipes and Cigars I got 8 oz at $3/oz, including shipping. Some say it is too mild for them. To those folks I say try this: add a little Latakia. Trout Stream plus some latakia is an entirely different smoke. For me it provides the best of the world of mild aromatics and English-style smokes. All for $3/oz. What is there not to love!

thehaggis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thehaggis (18)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I guess I have been converted to a few aromatics..... This stuff is delicious! Great room note....my daughter, who strongly disapproves of my smoking admitted she loved the smell of this tobacco burning. Packs easily, stays lit, doesn't gurgle away, burns to nice ash....I am very impressed. Especially considering how much less this stuff is per ounce/pound than other much snootier blends. I just ordered a pound of it.......and I have only ordered English Lat bombs by the pound before. This stuff is just a hoot to smoke, really.

FischerPipeGuy62 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FischerPipeGuy62 (1)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

As a pipe smoker for over 40 years and after searching for that one PERFECT pipe tobacco for many years I may have found one I can finally call "My Precious". Sorry, just a little of the Hobbit DNA coming out of me. Trout Stream is one of the most mild, mellow and smoothest tasting pipe tobaccos I have ever encountered, this side of the Shire! Mind you it isn't Ole Toby, but it's close! I find it hard to not like everything about it. It has the cut I like, packs great, lights easily and stays lit well, and has a very nice room note that is not over bearing as some aromatics can be. My only suggestion would be that they add just a touch more flavor to spice it up a bit as I find it has a somewhat bland taste. I'm not sure what they could add as I'm not a tobacco blending expert, perhaps a touch of Perique? I found that it came very fresh with just the right amount of moisture to pack easily and stay lit well. I will order more soon. If anyone has any ideas how to spice it up a bit without ruining it please email me.

yellowking Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
yellowking (5)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I'm primarily a Virginia smoker, but I really liked Trout Stream. The vanilla is noticeable, but pleasantly mild.

dsltrkr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dsltrkr (3)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This a nice smoke to take along anywhere.Its tame and smooth enough for begginer.got with sampler and i liked it.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (141)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a mild, inoffensive aromatic that is pleasantly mild on the tongue. It's a cut above something like Captain Black, but still nothing to write home about. I smoke a number of aromatics on an occasional basis, and this one just doesn't stand out from the pack.

Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe (17)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Pipes & Cigars puts out some very good Tobacco's. This is a very interesting smoke, The pouch aroma of Butterscotch hits you with a punch, but pleasant, moisture content is perfect, not sticky or gooey, packed easily in a Dr Grabow Regal, medium to smaller size bowl, Lights quickly. Taste is sweet, but not really like the aroma. The tobacco flavor itself can be found pretty easily. For me the first half of the bowl was the best. Very smooth, tasty & pleasant. Pipe did not get too hot. 2nd half started to get a wee bit nippy, even at a snails pace, A pipe cleaner down the stem seemed to help that. Smoked down nearly to the bottom. Not goopy like Captain Black and other aro's I don't think I could smoke this all day, or even once a day The aroma is nice but it gets old quick, The Butterscotch Flavoring that is. Nicotine is there I suppose, but you'll have to hunt for it.

I like it once a week in a rotation, nice change of pace from the heavy blends

Give it a try, Its better that Alot of other aromatics

fishingpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fishingpipe (4)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

My favorite blend, by far. Easy to light. Stays lit or maybe one relight every bowl. Good enough taste to enjoy it any time of day. Hits the "sweet spot" about half way through the bowl, and that is delicious. One of only 2-3 blends (Butternut Burley and Pipeworks & Wilke #191 being the others) my wife let's me smoke in the house.

A perfect blend for new smokers. A great blend to enjoy for the seasoned smoker. I started on this blend in April, 2009 and smoke it at least 2-3 times a week. Excellent summer smoke in the heat. Cellars well in a mason jar. Opened a one year old jar 3-months ago and noted no negative changes. Still had good moisture, great taste. The sweet spot maybe lasted even longer! Smokes well in any size bowl. Not a goopy aromatic. Enjoy!

tubehead71 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tubehead71 (5)
Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Just can't get enough of this great smoke. Some might call it mild but I call it very rich in flavor and smokablity. I smoke it every day on the way to work. Never bits, The thing I love about it most it you don't have to fight with it. A lot of blends I love, require you focus on it. This is no prim Dona blend…just great and dependable for a happy bowl. I gave a sample to a friend and he ended up taking my bag away. By far my favorite pipe tobacco!!!

Coltrane Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coltrane (26)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This one I wasn't all to keen about. It has a very monochromatic character to it that is a little boring for my taste. My twin brother enjoyed it, but for me it needs a little more. It packs well, burns well, has a descent aroma, it just needs a bit more.

I would recommend this for mature virgina smokers, it may be a little too simple for English and Balkan fans. New smokers might like it as well.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (82)

This is a very nice light aromatic. Not surprisingly the bag smell is light years away from the taste you get when you smoke it. When you open the pouch the blend has a truly fantatsic butterscotch smell. Upon smoking, there's little to no butterscotch taste but it is pleasantly sweet. Burns cool with a nice roomnote. Light on nicotine. Relaxing.

Personally, when I step out of my tent in the morning I prefer an english blend with latakia to go along with my black coffee. I like Trout Streem in the evening when I'm kicking back and don't want a nicotine buzz to interfer with my sleep.

Lono Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lono (5)

The description of this blend is accurate--"Perfect for tying flies." In other words, a nice, tasty smoke that is not distracting while you are doing other things. I enjoy this in the morning with my first cup of coffee. I have been transitioning away from aromatics, but will always keep a bit of this blend around. Available, of course from pipesandcigars.com, but also sold by 4noggins.com under "Hearth & Home" in the bulk tobacco section.

chetking Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chetking (54)

We have a couple of fine pipesandcigars.com (Habana) tobac shops in New York's State's Capital District, i.e. Albany and East Greenbush, and this pleasantly sweet aromatic was recommended to me via a 2 oz. sampler. I quickly fell under the spell of this superb, cool, slow burning cavendish mixture which has a just right butterscotch casing. Unlike at least one other reviewer I couldn't detect any maple flavouring but that's fine because as you've read in these entries Trout Stream hits the proverbial "spot."

My next purchase was for 8 oz. at $28.00, a little steep because oppressive exercise taxes are starting to hit hard in NY though not quite near what's happening brutally with cigarette taxes.

Smoke this in an Angelo bent, one I use for a few other mild mixtures, but TS's delicate casing doesn't spoil it for the others. Detect no trace of the dreaded Ghost. A thoroughly mild, smooth smoke bound to keep your interst indoors and out. Loving it. Happy hunting.

pjcarter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pjcarter (3)
Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

This is a very good, every day smoke. Strength is almost nonexistent which makes for a good morning pipe. The flavor is pleasant, not overpowering and but sweet. Certain to be a hit in public, it's the kind of tobacco that makes non smokers tolerate a pipe smoker. I find myself smoking this blend on my lunch break almost every day. It isn't one you have to think about so it doesn't really require you to sit down and pay attention like some other blends.

Cancerman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cancerman (13)
Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

OK, I'm going to review this coming back to it after smoking quite a few english blends. Well this is what it is, a very mild maple/butterscotch aromatic with very little nicotine. If that's what you like then you'll love this. I like a little more tobacco taste and more nicotine and if you are the same go with Butternut Burley, a butterscotch blend with more kick, and real cheap too, about twenty bucks a pound. But I have to say that I'm not realy an aromatic fan. I smoke by myself, outside, in the early morning when the sun comes up, so I don't care about room note, and quite frankly can't tell you one way or the other what the room note of any blend is. There should be a drop down on the room note saying 'can't tell' or something like that for all of us American solitary outdoor smokers that are shunned by the anti-tobacco conspiracy that has gripped our nation. I usually only smoke one bowl twice a week and I have to say that after smoking this it left me wanting another bowl. I'll probably save this for smoking around the relatives on a fishing trip if the occasion ever arises, so we can all smoke the rest of this all day long. It's a great all day smoke as I can't seem to get enough of it. Not much tobacco taste at all, not sure I like that either but it surely is for some. I will say one thing, be sure to take these reviews with a grain of salt. Some are like asking a vegetarian if he liked the steak he just ate LOL.

Bub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bub (18)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

This is a great smoke! Smells and tastes great. Nice room note. Mild. Can smoke all day long. This would be a great tobacco to get your friends started on the pipe if they ask about the pipe hobby.

jshrader13 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jshrader13 (16)

Trout Stream is one of four blends I tried from pipesandcigars.com and I really like it. It has a nice mellow room note, not overly smokey, leaves a nice tobacco flavor on the palate, and has a very pleasant aroma to round out the mix. I don't notice any casing at all in this blend, which leaves for a nice mild cavendish flavor. Like the description suggests, I can totally see myself taking this one fishing or camping.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

BobB Nailed this review perfect. Nothing difficult about this tobacco whatsoever. Always complimentary, never cruel or harsh. Lights and packs with ease, and the room note and flavor are both outstanding. I have received more compliments while smoking this in public than any other blend I smoke.

AcworthAl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AcworthAl (20)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I do not smoke many aromatics; however, Trout Stream is a good smoke. It is mildly aromatic and has a sweet taste. It burns well and does not bite. It was a delightful Sunday morning smoke. It is a great change of pace after smoking heavier English tobaccos. One could probably buy all of their tobacco from Pipes and Cigars and never look anywhere else, Russ is GREAT tobacco blender.

cbomce Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cbomce (3)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Highly recommend T/S if you want a pleasant bowl that won't bite no matter how hard you puff. It fires very well in one of my Danish freehand pipes. (prefer large Ben Wade) Enjoyment starts with a single light, stays lit with very little tending, initial flavor fades early as it warms to mixed spice flavor before setteling into a wonderful "zone". The only drawback is my 30 minute commute is over before the the end of the bowl. Occasional p-cleaner swab if the weather is damp and the humidity is high. Rest and rotation keeps my pipes from getting gunky and dedication of pipe to a tobacco provides me with perdictable daily enjoyment.

I picked up my first pipe over 40 years ago, Trout Stream about a year ago and order it by the pound now, I still sample others but this is my top shelf.

Pipe-billed Grebe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe-billed Grebe (18)

Ah, the elusive Quality Aromatic. This specimen was spotted in a riparian wood, nesting in a Vauen bent egg. Trout Stream tastes and smells not of trout nor stream but of buttery things - butterscotch, buttered popcorn, and buttered pancakes come to mind. TS does not burn hot or coat the mouth and throat as so many of its ilk infamously do. Towards the bottom of the bowl the flavor does flatten out a bit and the smoking becomes a bit arduous, as I suppose the humectants and flavoring agents gradually accumulate down there in the course of smoking. Still, I've not found it to become goopy, just sometimes a little gurgly. The quality of tobacco and modesty of the application of additives are further evidenced by the nice pale ash that falls readily from the bowl at smoke's end.

When one inquires after aromatics, Trout Stream is one I readily recommend.

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is a heavily cased vanilla Cavendish blend that has a strong butterscotch aroma to it. It is a pleasant enough smoke and those around you will enjoy the aroma it leaves in the room. Mostly ribbon cut, so it burns somewhat fast although clean. It has a high sugar content, so obviously it can bite if you pull on it too hard. Overall, a very nice aromatic. I give it three stars as the one thing it fails to provide is tobacco flavor.

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (57)
Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable to Strong

There isn't much I can add since this blend has been extensively review by others, so let me get start it, if you are into half sugary half cigarette tasting tobacco this is definitely the blend you should try to get specially if you pick smoking pipes to quit smoking cigarettes, it does not bite unless you push it; the nic hit it mild, smells great in the jar but fails to deliver in the room note my fiancee found it foul, which was a surprise since I smoke VAPER in my room and she never complaints. Very boring smoke, but it is worthwhile if you doing yard word or chores around the house since it never gets distracting.

Tin Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tin Man (14)
Very Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

This stuff smells really good. Very sweet, like homemade butterscotch. It is cut pretty fine, and packs and lights well. Not too moist or sticky. The topping is definitely there by the smell, but not by texture or appearance. It tastes very sweet also. The tobacco flavor is not bad either, but it is very mild and a bit monochromatic. This is a very inoffensive blend to both smoker and nonsmoker. I don't notice the nicotine at all, which could be a good or bad thing depending on your point of view. UpDATE: A previous reviewer said "tobacco taste comes through when you hit the zone" Well, I've hit the zone once so far, resulting in a 3 star experience. If I can pull it off again, I might enshrine the 3 star in the "Recommendation" box

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (72)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

This is a nice blend with a great aroma. The flavor is good but there's just not enough of it. It lacks substance, tobacco flavors and nicotine are just not there for me. Needs a little mature virginia thrown in, maybe I'll try that. I do give it 3 stars because as a mild aromatic it is good.

gr8fatman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gr8fatman (2)
Very Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I still consider myself to be a novice pipe smoker. I find Trout Stream to be my favorite tobacco so far. Vanilla & butterscotch are the prevailing flavors and room note for me. I tried to detect the maple but haven't yet. This was my first bowl, and I'll give an update later.

Old Puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Puffer (42)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Another winner from Mr. Oullette! I admit that I really don't care if a baccy is English, Balkan, Aromatic, or pure something as long as it is easy to handle and makes me feel good (and doesn't get me thrown out of the house). I smoke them all (at least once) and leave prejudices outside.

Trout stream has become one of my very favorite aromatics. I can't say enough good about it. Easy to pack; no sticks to fuss with; easy lighting; stays lit well; no gurgles; smokes cool; never a hint of a bite; stays clean to the bottom. The tin odor is pleasantly sweet (vanilla like) without being overpowering. Beginning smoking aroma is the same giving ample smoke without effort. Aroma and flavor stays pretty much the same all the way to the bottom with a little added strength showing up about 3/4 way to the bottom but never gets objectionable. No bad after taste left in the pipe.

I detect no surfactants and it can be dried out to a crisp. Seems to me to be just a pure, honest, well blended combination of pure Cavendish.

I like this a lot and don't ever want to be without it. Highly recommend you at least try it. Especially newbies.

joseph Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
joseph (46)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

I had high expectations on this one, because of the good reviews. But I was rather disappointed. The room note is terrific, but the taste is blend, almost non existing. Both strenght and taste way mild for me. 2 stars only because of the nice room note (pancakes).

Laudante Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Laudante (27)

I usually run from aromatics, but I try to keep at least one at home for using when smoking in public or even to satisfy my mid-afternoon want of sweet, sometimes.

So I decided to give this blend a try and the only thing I can say is that it made me have hope again in aromatics. They can give really something more than compliments from other people. They can really give you a deep smoking pleasure (I´m refering only to this blend, or others of this level, if there are any).

I usually don´t tolerate smoking more than two or three bowls of even nice aromatic mixtures in a month, but this one invites me to smoke almost one after another.

Someone complained below that this was difficult to smoke. Not at all. Of all the bowls I´ve smoked, only one relight was needed almost at the bottom. And no dottle produced, by the way. The appearance of the mixture reminded me of Vanilla Cream, which made my tongue remember (and fear) the Mac Barren curse. But no... there was no tongue biting at all.

XDipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
XDipper (30)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

UPDATE: I still have most of the original pound that I reviewed originally. Not that this stuff is bad, I've smoked some pretty good aromatics and this is one of the better. The lack of vitamin N and a general absence of tobacco flavor and body cement this and all other aromatics as once in a blue moon smokes. If on the other hand, you are an aromatic guy, this stuff is really top shelf and will undoubtedly get you more than a few "Gee your pipe smells good" remarks. But alas, I seem to have moved on and any aromatics I keep on hand are purely accidental. I go on an aromatic kick a couple times a year, smoke a couple bowls, collect my obligatory ooohs and aaahs from bystanders and move on to things a bit more substantial. For what it is though I must say it is well done and recommended (if this sort of thing is you)

ORIGINAL REVIEW: Wouldn't call myself an aromatic smoker but occassionally I get a sweet tooth and so I felt I needed a good aromatic for my rotation. So I dedicated a few pipes for aromatic use and stumbled across Trout Stream (and the glowing reviews thereof) on this site. I took a calculated risk and ordered a full pound of this stuff before I had even smoked a bowl. As it turns out, I'm very glad that I did. This stuff is fantastic. It is, no doubt a very aromatic tobacco, sweet (but not overly so), not goopy or sticky and has fantastic smoking manners. Unlike most aromatics, it is very docile and does not provide the bitey, very hot smoke that is typical to the breed. It enjoys all the same low maintenance, great smokeability of my beloved burlies with a sweet mild taste and incredible aroma.

The pouch aroma is most definitely butterscotch. For a non-aromatic guy (like me) it was nearly a cause for alarm. I said to myself I said, "Self, if this stuff tastes this sweet you're screwed." But I pressed on unabated and found that the pouch note was much stronger and much sweeter than the actual taste when smoked. I'd be lying if I said I couldn't taste butterscotch when smoking it but it was very, very subdued by comparison to the pouch aroma. Additionally, unlike most tobaccos I've ever smoked you can actually smell this one while you're smoking it. My bride and the ladies at work were quick to compliment me on how good it smelled too. Not that this fact effects my liking for the blend but this is great PR in a world where anyone smoking is thought to be Satan himself.

The nicotine punch (or lack therof) is basically the only thing that would keep me from smoking this all day everyday. This is an incredible blend but by afternoon, I just need something a bit stiffer so I revert back to the default burley setting. My intial vision was to keep this stuff on hand for the occassional sweet tooth but I have to admit that this stuff is growing on me and I find myself reaching for it more and more often. The niche for an aromatic in my rotation is filled. No need for further exploration. It just doesn't get any better than Trout Stream. In fact, I have in my estimation a perfect set of tobaccos that I will undoubtedly stick with as my regulars for quite some time. Trout Stream being the aromatic, Prince Albert being the mid range/mild burley and Old Joe Krantz for the stout burley. At any given point in time one of these three blends is just what the doctor ordered. Trout Stream is must smoke for any aromatic lover and highly recommended for smokers of heavier blends that sometimes just feel like a break with something sweeter and milder. Good show! Well done!

Sailorjack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sailorjack (55)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

This is the first blend from pipesandcigars that I've been disappointed with. The aroma of butterscotch/caramel or whatever is absolutely scrumptious. Due to all the cavendish in this blend the flavors are muted making for a flat and ultimately boring smoke. No real tobacco taste detected. It burns cool and mild with no tongue bite. If you enjoy Danish style aromatics then you may like Trout Stream. After I smoke a bowl, I have no want of another. I think I shall try experimenting with adding some burley and/or red virginia to see whether I can make this blend more interesting. I'll use what I have but will not be ordering more. It just deepens my suspicion of any heavily laden cavendish blends and I will shy away from them even more than previously.

bswails1384 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bswails1384 (7)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This one scores as close to a perfect 10 as an aromatic tobacco can get IMO. The aroma of the tobacco out of the bag is mouthwatering good with a lightly sweet butterscotch hint to it. The thinly cut ribbons of golden cavendish and black cavendish pack easily and burn consistently without the need for frequent relighting. The room note is very pleasant. The flavor is not too strong for those like me who do not prefer a strong casing and like to be able to taste the tobacco flavor. The strength is also mild.

And all of this at a low cost bulk price. Who could ask for anything more? I definitely recommend this to beginners and aromatic lovers alike. I intend to stock up on this brand. Kudos to pipesandcigars.com this is a big hit with me.

behindbars1544 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
behindbars1544 (6)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

After ordering and receiving a H&H sampler last year and not really liking 90% of the blends I was really hesitant about trying any more of pipesandcigars blends but an online buddy of mine had some up for trade so I said ?what the hell?. I had read somewhere that this blend supposed to have a butterscotch flavor to it. I did not find that however this blend didn?t bite me like the H&H blends did. For me it was just a tad flat but after adding a dash of J.M. Boswell?s Premium Burley it really opened up. Although I?m enjoying it much more now it?s not something I?d order to keep on hand.

Hemlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hemlock (56)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

A nice aromatic with a caramel-butterscotch-maple essence. Initially it comes a little moist for long term storage by the purchaser. It benefits from some air drying (you can leave it for a few good hours since there is a token amount of PG). This is a socially appropriate blend that will reward you with a core tobacco flavour-- thus it not only smells great to others, but satisfies the smoker. The tobacco flavour comes through only when you hit the zone. I smoke this in a lovely fully bent Butz-Choquin, and surprisingly, the bowl is left dry at the end with scarecely a plug of dottle. It burns on its own and offers a good volume of smoke. I rate the strength an HPH 1.5 to 2.0.

If you like aromatics, and enjoy both saucing and tobacco flavour , try a few ounces. You won't be disappointed. I'd be willing to bet that some of you might get away with smoking it gliding through the house if your family enjoys lovely aromas and those comfort essences such as fresh-brewed coffee, muffins baking and a wood-burning fireplace.

Update 02/08/08 After a hiatus from Trout Stream, I must say that this blend is worthy of us pipesmokers smoking more and more in public and amongst family or friends to endear those of the modern intolerant age to the sensory pleasures of lovely aromatic pipe tobacco. The smoker is never left unsatisfied, but bystanders are also intrigued by the lovely aroma. Cool smoking, no dottle and self-burning; what this blend lacks in high-nicotine is made up for by full mouthfeel and a latent genuine tobacco flavour for the piper emerging by progressing though the bowl. Please get some and validate the esoteric art and pleasure of pipe smoking for future generations of mankind. It is my belief that tobacco may not be legal forever, and blends like these may yet demonstrate that some forms of tobacco are indeed benign. To put it in perspective, I am a great fan of VA, VAPer and English blends, yet I love this.

Pipes530 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipes530 (8)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Absolutely the BEST maple aromatic tobacco I have ever tried.

Big Blue Jazzman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Blue Jazzman (32)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This tobacco is the best aromatic I've ever smoked. It is absolutely delicious. Unlike other aromatic blends this one tastes consistent throughout the bowl. That means one thing folks, quality leaf used in this blend, not the garbage used in most aromatics. TOP NOTCH!

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)
Very Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

I didn't realize that I was such a big fan of butterscotch until trying Trout Stream.

This is a very mild tasting cavendish blend with a fairly strong casing. It's simply delicious.

Although it burns relatively cool for an aromatic, my Kirsten traps quite a bit of moisture from this blend.

A strong candidate as an all day smoke for the aromatic lover and another winner from the folks at Habana Premium.

CTPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTPiper (8)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

It does smell like butterscotch in the bag and tastes sweet too. Did provide me with a bit of tongue bite, probably from all that sweetness. Not a bad tobacco, but I've had better Cavendish.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (161)
Extremely Mild Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Trout Stream is an extremely mild yet heavy aromatic. And I?ll go along with previous reviewers who perceived a butterscotch / caramel taste. More bluntly, it?s like smoking a butterscotch sundae and it proved to be much too sweet for my palate and any true, tobacco taste was not discernible. To wit, I like tobacco in my tobacco. Had the casing been done with a lighter hand, i.e., more subdued, I would have enjoyed it more. I tired of it quickly. TS can be a nice once a week or once a month change of pace smoke but never could I tolerate a steady diet of this blend.

However, I can?t berate this blend for what it is. TS has no bite whatsoever, super great burning qualities and it does not have the characteristic goopiness of many other aromatics. Because of its stickiness/tackiness in the pouch and to minimize relights, I would suggest this blend be packed a little more loosely than with drier blends. I smoked more than one bowl from ?head to toe? without any relights using a light packing hand. I think that Trout Stream would be an ideal blend for a newbie but some veteran pipesters may find this blend overwhelmingly sweet as I did.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this blend 7.2 out of 10.

vati1werner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vati1werner (3)

Truly the Holy Grail of tobacco. Smoked well right out of the bag, great flavour, cool burn and welcoming room note. The butterscotch aroma in the bag is almost sickeningly sweet which belies it's pleasureful tobacco taste in the pipe. A 'non-goopy' aromatic. Truly a mouthwatering delight; I'm anxiously awaiting my next bowl.

djs134 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
djs134 (1)

I recently became reacquainted with the pipe after almost a decade. This time around, through the help of some Brothers of the Leaf, I?ve become aware of the more refined tobaccos available. After trying several different blends and styles, I?ve chosen Trout Stream on which to issue my first review.

I ran across Trout Stream while searching through the Highly Recommended blends on this site. After reading the description, I ordered 8 oz. along with my order of Dunhill #965.

As soon as I opened the vacuum sealed package I was impressed. I detected both caramel and butterscotch in the overall fragrance, even a slight dark cherry in there somewhere. Warm and rich, the pouch aroma is very inviting. I can easily picture myself in my old comfortable leather chair with the snows flying outside, reading and waiting for the first casts of the season to come.

The blend is of Golden Cavendish slices with Black Cavendish. Not overly wet as aromatics go and packs easily right out of the package, although it does benefit from a little drying for my tastes.

The taste was as impressive as the initial smell. The flavors of caramel and butterscotch are as evident in the smoke as they were in the pouch without overriding the flavor of the quality tobacco. Mild, smooth, sweet and not a hint of tongue bite.

The bowl burned well and only required a relight when I packed the bowl without drying it at all. Subsequent bowls practically smoked themselves with only the slightest of ash tamps required. Trout Stream was cool and dry to smoke, unlike the hot wet smokes that turn me off of almost all other aromatics.

The room note is very pleasant as attested to the comments from my wife

The aftertaste of Trout Stream is very nice. As mentioned in a previous review, there is a pleasant coating of the tongue that left me with an anticipation of my next bowl.

I would highly recommend this blend; whether you are new to the pipe and looking for a pleasant entry tobacco, a seasoned smoker looking for a mild all day smoke or anyone looking for a tobacco that will be acceptable in public. This blend will always have a place in my cellar as well as being a go to smoke for those easy going times on or off the stream.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)

Habana Premium's best kept secret. Not even Russ Oullette could blend something this good. No, contrary to the listing Russ did not blend this . It was created by Eric Nicholas.

I wish that all aromatics were this tasty. Of all of the blends available at Habana Premium, this one is my favorite. Tasty, mild and biteless. It packs easy and burns cool.

The pouch aroma is that if high grade butterscotch. Although it is a cased blend, the tobacco taste still comes through loud and clear. It doesn't goop up a pipe and the flavor matches the room note.

A perfectly mild all day smoke.

Zahdio Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zahdio (4)

This is a great smoke. It smells great in the pouch, stays lit and does not have any real bite to it. Although it is mild, the smoke has a full body and is very satisfying. I'd recommend this to anyone who enjoys good tobacco. You will enjoy this.

fatherDougal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fatherDougal (28)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I do not know how they do it...put the fresh scent of a morning hiking trip into a plastic bag. I mean it. (But don't get me wrong; this isn't some Lakeland-style flowershop with dandelions, airwick and rosehips. No.) And that was just the opening breath from the pouch, so I thought that would be the last I'd detect of the woodsy breeze, but it just gets better when lit (and stays lit). Pipesandcigars.com worrys me, they're that good. And the stuff is priced like a Lane bulk.

Flintlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flintlock (14)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

After reading the reviews on Trout Stream, I decided to give our good friends a Habana Premium Cigar Shoppe a call. I am glad I did. This is my assessment.

Taste: The taste immediately impressed me. There is an underlying flavor of butterscotch or caramel that is fantastic and the taste of real tobacco shows through.

After-taste: After smoking a bowl, I experienced a mild coating for the tongue, which was quite pleasant.

Bite: There is none. If you are to scorch your tongue with this, you will have to try mighty hard.

Burn: The smoke is dry and cool and with a slight tamp, will burn without going out the entire bowl. I find this an asset to aromatic tobacco. Many aromatics tend to burn wet and hot.

Start to finish: Trout Stream does not change its wonderful flavor from the first light to the end of the bowl.

Room note: By the time I had smoked about ten bowls of this stuff, I decided to try it in public. A woman who said, ?boy, that pipe tobacco sure smells good?, immediately approached me and wanted to know where I purchased it!

Quality: I see only good quality tobacco in the pound I purchased. No tree limbs that are sometimes found in bulk tobacco.

Recommendation: I highly recommend giving Trout Stream a try, if you don?t like it, send it to me! This is going to be one of my main smokes. To Russ Ouellette, three cheers!

Conclusion: With all the anti-smoking legislation going around these days, I try not to be offensive to our non-smoking friends. My sister is one of the worst about criticizing me about smoking, but said she loves the smell.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (64)
Mild Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

Looking for another high quality aromatic to add to my rotation, i came upon Trout Stream via a sampler pack. The aroma is indeed of Butterscotch and Caramel, i like that analogy. The blend is black and gold cavendish and lights / burns average. A nutty and toasty flavor mixed with the caramel aroma make this a wonderful morning or all day smoke. This blend will also not offend anyone within smelling distance. For me, i smoked first an ounce, then a half pound and i just received a full pound. For $20.00 a pound this is one of the best values in aromatics i have ever come across. I must try Eric's Old Lodge and Pine Grove next! He's a great blender if Trout Stream is any indication.

jackhackett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jackhackett (76)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Incredibly high-quality aromatic---no goop, no bite, just tons of lovely, light flavor that still tastes like tobacco and smokes uncharacteristically well for an aromatic (much fewer relights required than a 'standard' aromatic). The Mrs. even lets me smoke this one inside she likes it so much. I have a newfound respect for aromatics thanks to the brilliant blenders at Habana Premium/pipesandcigars.com.

alchemyhunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
alchemyhunter (9)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Well I stopped into Habana Premium and asked for a light aromatic with caramel or butterscotch. This is what Russ recommended, so I bought 4 oz. I had to smoke more than other tobaccos, before I felt I could write a review...I just wasn't sure if I liked it or not.

Aroma & Appearance: The pouch aroma is one of the best I have ever smelled, copious amounts of very pleasant caramel or butterscotch aroma. It appears to be mostly golden ribbon cut with some black cavendish sprinkled about.

Pack & Burn: Trout Stream does not pack as well as other tobaccos I have smoked and it needs some more relighting than others, not enough to make it annoying, but just enough to make it noticeable. Considering that this is a aromatic, it burns relatively cool and dry. Does benefit from drying out.

Taste & Room Note: This is a mild aromatic blend with, what I find to be, the perfect amount of casing...enough to taste without overwhelming. I did not steam my tongue or receive any bite. There seemed to be a little bit of zest underlying it all...just peeking in and out throughout the bowl. The aroma got many comments for passing pedestrians.

Conclusion: If you like English blends, you will hate this. If you like aromatics, this might be your next favorite. I will buy this from time to time as a change, whether or not this receives a place in my regular rotation has yet to be seen. Good aromatic smell and taste, but I think its burning qualities will be its least liked feature.

I will have to say that I find myself smoking this more and more, especially in the morning. It is something that I will be buying again. The flavor of caramel/butterscotch is really comming through nicely and I am having fewer and fewer problems with relightings. Just take your time to dry it out well and take your time to pack the pipe properly.

wordmerchant Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wordmerchant (16)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Trout Stream is a sweet, genteel smoke that entices. I keep a small baggie at my desk so I may smell the essence of this fine tobacco in its un-flamed state. This tobacco smells great! Reminds me of butterscotch in a 1950?s kitchen, when pudding was indeed pudding and it was made the traditional way: with mothers who stirred simmering milk with wooden spoons?.

Sold in bulk, the leaf is predominately comprised of golden Cavendish slices and bits of sweet black Cavendish. Both appear to come from varietals of Virginia leaf. The nose is indeed of butterscotch. Easy to pack, the tobacco lights well and with a light tamp will take you to peaceful places.

The tobacco burns dry?there are no goopy messes to contend with. The flavour is not complex, yet I find that it is not at all one-dimensional. This tobacco wraps me up in a flannel blanket and pats my head. All I need is bedtime story?God, give me a spoon!

Trout Stream gives off a wonderful, sweet room note. The flavour swims around the tongue with softness and a dessert like tease. An easy, all day smoke, Trout Stream would be enjoyable while doing chores and yet it?s a delicacy for a contemplative smoke.

This blend comes from pipeandcigars.com. However, Trout Stream was blended by a gentleman named Eric Nicholas, not the venerable Russ Oullette as indicated above. You can find Trout Stream under bulk tobaccos\ Eric?s Andirondack Series.

I highly recommend Trout Stream to newer smokers or those seasoned pipers who like a light aromatic or for a change of pace.

I?ve recently have purchased 4 ounces of another Eric Nicholas? blends: Old Lodge. A review of that will follow but so far, I am very impressed with Mr. Nicholas? blends.

MozzMann Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MozzMann (32)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a good smoke, very tasty and sweet and has a nice roomnote. I will keep a few onces on hand. Its a nice fall tobacco and can be a great all day smoke. Enjoy! MozzMann'06