Shag-cut Bright Virginias that were tightly pressed and packed with no flavorings added after a long maturation process.

BrandMac Baren
Blended ByMac Baren
Manufactured ByMac Baren
CutShag
Strength
Mild, Medium
None Detected, Very Mild
Taste
misterzipp0 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
misterzipp0 (3)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Was very fortunate to procure a sealed tin of this that was back from the Fireside era. It was a 3oz tin and judging by the distributor and the font on the tin it is at least 30 years old.

We popped open this tin last night for a small celebration and the smell from it was divine. I don't know if MacBaren used the maple water back then but if they did the few decades of aging made it so much better.

The shag cut is very fine and it burns fast but not enough to smoke you out. As with most MacBaren blends it practically smokes itself.

First light brings a burst of sweetness to your lips and the Virginias are so sweet and grassy. There is a touch of citrus that goes in and out but the main theme of this is a honey/cinnamon sweetness that stays through the whole bowl. If there was a topping applied it was very light and honestly reminds me of their Old Dark Fired a bit as there is a little heft to this blend as the bowl progresses.

If you stumble upon some of this pay whatever the asking price is and enjoy this long out of production gem.

Pipe Used: Mountbatten

Age When Smoked: 30+ years

I've only had the pleasure of smoking this blend once, and that was back in the 1970's while I was stationed in what was then West Germany. It was a part of a group of Mac Baren tobaccos that I picked up at a small pipe and tobacco shop in Frankfurt. Even back then I knew enough about pipe smoking to know that I'd tied into a good one. The Virginia was a very fine shag cut and packed tightly in the tin. No telling how long it had been sitting on the shelf but I do recall that dust was layered all over much of the tobacco I picked up. Dark, bold and rich with no added flavoring. I went back to the barracks and was in hog heaven. I can only imagine what the leaf tastes like now.