Much as Orion's Arrow points to true North and has served as a guide to travelers since antiquity, this nearly equal mixture of Turkish flake, Perique, Red Virginia, and bright Virginia ribbon can serve as both a fine entree or destination for those in search of a bold and balanced blend.

A nearly equal mixture of Turkish flake, Perique, red Virginia and bright Virginia ribbon.

Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Taste
3.1
CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Orion's Arrow, according to the description, is roughly equal parts of four tobaccos. By my reckoning, that should make it about 25% Perique. I believe it.

That sounds like an awful big portion of Perique. But as I learned with Bayou Night, when the proportions of Perique get really high, the leaf seems to take on a different personality.

Orion's Arrow, to me is heavily dominated by the Perique - a slightly dry, spicy, smoky flavor.

If you like Bayou Night, you will find this a very pleasurable smoke - and vice-versa. I know I did.

This is a blend someone sent me to try when I lamented the fact that Boker Or and Or Olam were out of production. The tobacco came pretty dry, and I have smoked it as delivered.

This is a fairly full and tasty combination of flavors. It is a little strong for an all-day smoke, but it is a good one for my palate. It is sweet and spicy. There is a slightly sour taste from the orientals from time to time. The perique is sometimes a little peppery, and that may be a matter of how fast it is puffed.

One of the other reviewers compared this to Three Friars with Turkish instead of burley. That is probably the best description I have read so far in terms of what I experience. I can believe this will not suit every smoker, but it is very good and easy to recommend. It is more of a 3.5 on my scale.

The Hun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Hun (26)

I have never smoked a tobacco with this much Turkish admitted to in the blender's description. I thought it was about time to try one.

There is definitely a sweetish/sour taste to the tobacco and an aroma that is similar to a burning Camel cigarette. The smoke is somewhat dry, bordering on ashy to my palate. I do not find this unpleasant, just different.

The blend has a some strength and the nicotine level is relatively high, so those without much tolerance to it should probably avoid Orion's Arrow. I do taste some simularity to C&D's Bayou Morning, but just in passing.

A tasty blend. Recommended.

Pipe Used: Various Briars, Corncobs

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

A little unbalanced with the Perique forward. A very pleasant smoke nonetheless. The flavors are rich and distinct. The Virginias and Orientals provide a nice strong, tasty base. I'm tempted to call this a very fine Perique blend rather than a VaPerOr. In fact, I will. This is a very fine Perique blend. 3+ stars.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)

This is one of several C&D blends I buy in bulk. I am a big fan of their Va./perique tobaccos. Orion's Arrow has little if any pouch aroma other than the typical C&D whiff of some sort of fermentation. It might have something to do with the distinctive flavor of the C&D Virginias which I like a lot. Overall the tobacco has a bright appearance with the sprinkling of darker leaf which I take to be the perique. At the match it delivers a natually sweet (no artificial sweeteners) flavor of C&D Virginia combined with a pleasant pepperiness at the front of the mouth and a tingle in the nose. After four or five puffs the pepperiness is replaced by a spicey effect. About a quarter of the way along the smoke mellows out to mostly a Virginia/perique experience with the Turkish ever present in the background, precisely the way I like Turkish. This combination of flavors remains constant to the end of the bowl. This is a mild smoke with no hint of bite, smooth and mellow with a touch of spice, a slow sipper's delight. I like to smoke it with a little age on it and on the slightly dry side. It is a bit fluffy. takes a firm back, burns well, and lasts a long time. Most highly recommended. Paddy.

RyinMD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyinMD (16)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

I saw this in the Cornell & Diehl catalog and decided to give it a try. I was looking for a different VaPer, and this is definitely that. I tasted the spice and the slightly sour note others have mentioned. I also tasted some of the Virginia sweetness. I also got some of the kick others have mentioned - even though it seems to have a mild flavor. I don't think this is an all-day smoker, but I like it a lot. I ended up smoking four bowls of the stuff.

Like most Cornell & Diehl blends, this is dry in the pouch, but I still had to run a cleaner or two during the smoke.

I don't think this will be an everyday blend for me, but I am pretty sure this will make the rotation. I liked it. It's different, but I think this will be a good change-of-pace smoke. It's worth a try.

Pipe Used: BP prince, Sasieni panel billiard

Age When Smoked: Fresh from pouch

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (111)

This one threw me. I am all over the boards with impressions of it. I go from sub-1 star status to nearly 4 star, sometimes in the same day. Quite obviously it must be me. The ingredient list shows what i assume to be 25% perique. I believe it to a degree. Others listed are Turkish flake, red Virginia ,and bright Virginia ribbons. I smoke daily just about C&D Bayou Morning which is 25% perique and 75% red Virginia (stoved, I believe). I thoroughly enjoy Bayou Morning but can't take to Orion's Arrow at all. I found this to be true no matter what pipe I used to smoke it. The flavors never marry, they fight. It must be the Turkish flake? This blend should be similar in a cousin sort of way of thinking to Bayou Morning which is spicy, sweet, and smooth. But for me OA is overly tart like biting into a fresh lemon, and sour. I can't figure it. Sometimes I must hold off before presenting a review as a new blend I must break each other in, so to speak. But with this, meh...Not pleasant, no improvement except in one instance.

All that said, when I smoke OA accompanied by a vodka martini, it is a great smoke. I cannot fathom this at all and am forced to chalk up my so-so experience to personal chemistry.

Pipe Used: Briars, corncobs

Age When Smoked: New production

DoctorHoo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorHoo (6)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a blend I really wanted to like. Cornell & Diehl is an excellent company with a slew of outstanding blends. I like Turkish and perique (TurPer?) together. As a previous reviewer noted, it even had a cool name. Conceptually, it's a great blend. Taste-wise, it's a pepper pot. As much as I like perique, this one was just too stout for me. The peppery perique and the sharp, slightly astringent lemon Virginias overwhelmed the softer, sweeter Turkish and red Virginias. The perique numbed my tongue and, literally, left my head buzzing. I can't smoke this without adding some cavendish or Virginia flake to soften it up. I'm giving it two stars, largely in deference to my fellow reviewers, all of whom seem to have had a much different experience with it than I did. There are probably a lot of guys out there for whom this would be a great blend: just not for me.

zionhead1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zionhead1 (26)

WOW... a very good blend from CD folks. A sweet VA, nutty, well rounded, smooth smoke. A great traveling on highway smoke. and on the back porch, reading, after dinner, after breakfast, not sure what to smoke mood, all the above and more scenerios - a wonderful smoke - will not bite and gives a no pasty film in your mouth. good to the last drop. It comes dry but there is no need to humidify. smoke it from the bag. I acually liked this better than OLD JOE which I like alot. Not as spicy in the nose though. worth the $...

= edit update - this is NOT better than OLD JOE - but, a good smoke - If you are an Old Joe fan anfind it needs something sweet - I mix this (1oz.) to old Joe(2oz. ratio) a wonderful all day smoke.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)

This is not unlike J. Fox' Virginia-Oriental mixtures [Campanile; Provost] but, of course, much easier on the purse. Very nice indeed.

And I LOVE the name!

Jevverrett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jevverrett (42)

I bought this bc I wanted to try something new in the range of va/per. I liked ajs va/per I tried recently and decided to branch out a bit more. I got two ounces, and it's almost gone three weeks later.

In the bag it smells nice, the perique is noticeable right away. It has a decent look to it, and has chunks of broken Turkish flake in it, which I have taken to rubbing out. It packs, burns and smokes well altogether. It does take a few re lights most of the time for me, but it may be too moist. It does taste very good and is easy on the tongue. It lacks balance in a good way, it is pretty forward on the perique end. The Virginias are sweet and the Turkish is smooth so it doesn't overpower with the spicy.

Defiantly smooth in the face of a good spicy kick. I would recommend this one and have shared a few bowls of it with my brothers, who like this one too. Not that we are experts, but I am a seasoned pipe smoker and they are new to it. This could be an all day smoke for me if it had a little more nicotine to it. So it should go well all around.

Pipe Used: Owl shop billiard, Peterson billiards

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

ferncourt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ferncourt (12)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

One reviewer mentioned it Orion's Arrow tastes like a Camel cigarette (unfiltered). Spot on.

When my brother moved in with me for a couple of years, he smoked cigarettes, which I forbade unless he smoked Camel. But Camels were more than double the price of standard brands, and triple what he paid, which made them out of reach for everyday.

I got him some rolling papers, a roller, and gave him some Orion's Arrow and he was very satisfied.

I had a couple pounds cellared. I smoke nothing but Virginias and VaPers and this fits the bill with Turkish added.

It's mild, sweet, peppery, and deliciously sour.

It cellars well as secondary fermentation of the Virginias and Orientals continue.

Pipe Used: Cob, acorn, billiard, bulldog, Canadian

Age When Smoked: 2+ years

Similar Blends: Or Olam (Light of the Universe).

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (69)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a much more than merely competent blend. The stated nearly equal proportions of red and bright Virginias, Perique and Orientals function very, very well in unison. If you happen to enjoy the heavier VAPERs (this one is about 25% Perique) and you'd like to discover what Oriental can add, this could be right up your alley.

The VAs certainly provide enough richness, sweetness and body. The Perique contributes a pretty fair amount of power, spice, depth and a little fruit. And the Oriental element brings it all together--it smooths out the edges and increases the complexity. There is a slightly "fermented" quality in the taste, but it's not a detractor. Orion's Arrow shows good balance--but it's just a bit stronger than average.

I've been smoking Orion's Arrow for over a decade and I make an effort to keep some on-hand. This is a very capable blend that displays some "guts" and it deserves more attention than it probably gets.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Silver-Cap Blast & Meerschaums

Purchased From: C&D

Similar Blends: Bayou Morning, but Orion's Arrow adds Orientals.

bearzerker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bearzerker (17)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

This is a fun smoke. It looks cool in the bag. The colors remind me of a bag of raked leaves in the fall. The aroma is nice the mellow grassy smell of the virginias and the spicey perique tickles the nose. The batch I got is a little damp so I let my first pipe load dry for about a half an hour before I loaded it. It loads nice and easy. First light and draw and I got slapped in the face by the perique. I love perique and it's sweet and sour bite on the tongue. The virginias are delicious, creamy ,nutty and the turkish is very nice. It's a very flavorful blend and I can see this one making it's way into my rotation. It burns well and has a great full flavor but it's easy on the tongue, throat and lungs. After I smoked my first bowl of this I felt very satisfied.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)

Did you like three Friars? Think this should have been call 3 disciples.....Its a good variation on a theme. Nice perique virginia blend, swap turkish for burley. The differenece gives this a slightly more virginia sweet affect, Which I really like. Haven't tried three Friars? Like VaPers? Shame on you.. :) Nice spicy through the nose, and that virginia taste. Great. Getting to be a pro on Cornell and Diehl, as I slowly work my way thought their blends. They must have been alchemists in another life.

Try it. there are no regrets in life.