Anniversary Kake- We wanted to celebrate the 1st anniversary of the Hearth and Home tobaccos with a special blend, and due to a fortunate "accident", we were able to create this one. We ordered a blending Virginia that we expected to be all Red, but it turned out to be a mixture of everything from Lemon through Brown, and when we opened the bag, the aroma was amazing. We were able to order more of this tobacco, and then we combined it with St. James Perique (a good amount), heat-treated and pressed it. The result is a smooth, flavorful cake with a mouth-watering chocolate and fig pouch aroma.

BrandHearth & Home
PipesAndCigars
Strength
Taste

3.4

This has quickly become one of my favorite blends. The taste is slightly sweet, with a hint of chocolate, a vague hint of cinnamon, and a delightful essence of red wine. There is no casing of wine, but I sure know that flavor is there in a very small amount, likely from fermentation after pressing. The rum topping is light, but very welcome. The perique adds a complimentary pepper and plum taste, more plum than pepper. The fig flavor is in the background. All the flavors work in near perfect harmony. And the aftertaste is very pleasing.

There's two things to remember. AK will linger in your pipe, but not like a Lakeland does. Just make sure you ream it well before smoking something else, and expect the first couple of bowls to have the essence of AK. But don't worry, it'll go away after a few smokes. This tobacco in very moist in the tin. It needs to dry for a while before smoking it, but don't let it completely dry out or you'll lose some of the flavor. You'll enjoy it much better if you do dry it some, and it'll burn better, too. This could be an all day smoke if you so choose. As it ages, it loses a little sweetness, and mellows, and you'll get just a little more Virginia taste. Aged or fresh, I like it.

Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (64)

I hesitate to review this blend only for selfish reasons. I, as all veteran pipe smokers, are very finicky. When we find something that rings all the bells in the tower, we get alittle selfish and want the blend to remain available and in-stock when we want to order it. I hope that the life for this kake is long and storied because I think t deserves it.

As usual, I used the reviews on this site to research this tobacco. It was hitting all the right buttons with all the right reviewers. I quickly ordered 8 ounces to try, along with a pound or so of other tobaccos on my list.

At this point, I must give the people at pipesandcigars.com alot of credit. Their customer service is second to none. I would not do business with any other tobacco house if they carried all that I consume. Admittedly, that would be a monumental, and clearly impossible task. But, I encourage you to call and talk to them abou your next order if you have not already. Great people, can't say enough.

The kake arrived in the expected moist condition. I divided it into the 2 ounce portions that I always jar, and left 2 ounces out to try. I fully rubbed out the kake to dry to a smoking level.

If you didn't know better you would think that there was a topping on this tobacco. Of course, there isn't. This is the true range of natural aromas from several Va.'s treated in different ways. Absolutely fantastic!

After acheiving the humidity level I deire, I packed one of my favorite cobs and fired it up appropriately.

The first true light after char will provide a mix of roasting marshmallow sweetness and the dark mustiness of the perique. It is a youthful expression to be sure, but pleasant.

About 5 minutes into the bowl, the tobacco takes on its true character. Creamed coffee, yellow cake, and the ever so slight tang of some orange and red VA. in the blend. The perique is there, but exhibits the full on earthiness that you only get at the start. Fresh turned rich soil aroma is the flavor.

All starts to sing nicely together by mid bowl and the it just stays sublime to the end. The perique starts to shop more of its pepper and strength at the end of the bowl without turning too powerful to enjoy. The balancing act is just magnificent.

Smokes dry, if prepared properly, to the end of the bowl. Slow burning and prefers to be sipped to get all the nuance that is there in abundance. This is a very well done Vaper of a different stripe. Fillmore and Escudo are more of the savory and tangy vaper variety, this is in the sweet genre. But, never even close to cloying.

Please try it and see for yourself. This is one of the top vapers out there and in a class all it's own. There are some tobacco houses that have some catching up to do, because Home and Hearth has created what I think is the first new class of vaper in a long time worthy of near classic reputation from the start.

KinnScience Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KinnScience (29)

I first tried this blend about 4 years ago and, having aged a portion, have revisited it several times over the years. I did note some improvement in flavor and burning qualities as the blend acquired age, but not on the level of most Va/per tobaccos that I have aged in similar fashion.

The pouch aroma is pleasing, and the cake crumbles nicely. It burns better if it is dried out a bit, and definitely exhibits improvement on that account with age. Because of the price of this blend, it is likely worth trying for there are many who find it an enjoyable blend.

The initial light offers a mild yet somewhat integrated flavor of VA and Perique that merits some unique aspects when compared to other Va/Per blends, perhaps due to the subsequent heat and pressure treatment that Mr. Oullette does when making his cake tobacco. Yet I find the flavor of the VA's and the Perique to be "muddled" and lacking in the intricacies found in many other Va/Per blends. When sipping "Anni Kake" I find that the subtle sweetness balanced against the distinct tart spice offered by VA/Per's such as PS Navy, Escudo, McClelland 2015, Solani, Sam Gawith SJF, along with many others, is somewhat muted. I do not find this blend to be remarkable as a VA/Per, but there are clearly those who enjoy it for the mild flavor it imparts. The price is such that I believe it is worth trying, but for those who enjoy a more elegant VA/Per, I believe you will find it worth the few extra dollars to look elsewhere.

Pipe Used: Charatan, BBB, DH

Age When Smoked: 1-4 years

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I just finished off the 8 oz I purchased nearly two years ago. I bought it bulk so the presentation was not of perfect rectangular cubes more like they were tumbled to say the consistency of shredded wheat after milk has been at it awhile.

The blend smokes well, which is odd as it is really moist. It seems impossible to dry hinting at a blend heavily coated with humectants. I don't get a chemical taste at all when I smoke it, rather the spicy dried fruit tastes one would expect from a VaPer. This one is pretty heavy on the perique, which is a plus to me.

Overall, I liked this blend, but did not love it. Will I buy more? Perhaps. There are just too many more Vapers I would like to try first. There are also Vapers that I prefer to this one. Mainly, Escudo, Dorcester, Dunbar, Filmore and Reiner LGF.

I do know that some people, whose tastes and opinions I respect highly really love this tobacco, so with that I do recommend it as it is likely it will be a hit. I think my biggest problem with this one is in the Virginias themselves. The Va seems to be of a lesser quality than most of the Vapers I prefer. By loading up the Perique it is less apparent, but if I want to get hammered by Perique, I would much rather light up some Fillmore. So three stars, but two to my personal tastes.

Age When Smoked: 2 yearws

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Similar Blends: GL Pease Fillmore.

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (33)

Have been smoking a pipe since around '73 of the last century and have tried numerous blends. Having gone through the usual route from highly aromatic to finally settle on English and Virginia-Perique blends as many have. For the last few years I have been ordering from Pipes and Cigars.com with very satisfactory results. Presently have many of their blends and one of the most pleaaant ones is Russ' Anniversary Kake. At first put off by the smell(aromatic-like but uncased, I'm told) of the tobacco sample I declined ordering any but on a whim I re-ordered a small amount and was most pleaaantly surprised. My tastes seem to have changed somewhat and I was much impressed with this tobacco. I dried it out a little(What does DGT stand of anyway?) and it was even better. I ordered a pound of it.

Very satisfied with the resulting dried our mixture and have enjoyed it since. Russ is ,of course a master blender and a bona fide gentleman with a lot of patience and product knowledge. Correspondence with him is both rewarding and educational as it is with all of the gentlemen at Pipes and Cigars.com.

In short: relly fine Virginia-Perique mixture, a fine morning or anytime smoke and a damn fine price. Great job,Guys - Especialy Russ' blending expertise.

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (84)

I recently acquired a sample of this blend with some age on it, tasted it blind, and must say I was very impressed. The sweet/sours of the Virginias were very well rounded and smoothed out. The Perique was a light condiment touch on the flavor of this blend, but provided a nice backdrop of plum and stewed fruit. Presentation was gently crumbled cake with a few clumps - this held together well despite aging and shipping via post. Overall a very nice experience. I will be purchasing some of this to jar and set aside.

I've found that some age adds a very subtle chocolate note which adds some depth to the stewed fruit flavors that predominate. I've also found that packing this one a bit tighter than usual helps draw out all of the flavor from this sumptuous blend.

Edit: after smoking more of this fantastic blend, I am raising my review to four stars from three. However, I've also recently smoked some new Anniversary Kake and, while excellent, it was nowhere near the experience of smoking this couple year aged stuff. So guys: set some of this aside to age for at least a year. You will not regret it.

ROTHNH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ROTHNH (11)

One of the bulk H&H blends I got in today is Anniversary Kake.

It's a Va/Per and a true cake; the bag contained a bunch of dark, almost black, 1X3X1 inch moist "bricks" that smelled sweet, like plums and molasses. I got busy jarring the stuff. The room smelled great! The bricks crumbled rather easily into a nice combination of small ribbons and flakes and were easy to jar up. I, of course, kept a small baggie to smoke, leaving a bit out to dry for a while.

It's been four hours now and I just packed some of the H&H AK in a Brebbia Pura Squat Tomato, about a Group 3 or small 4. The charring light was it -- didn't need a true light and only needed one relight half way. The initial flavors are of a sweet bread and plum/fig with a bit of tartness from the virginias. The Perique quickly makes itself known but, surprisingly, this is not the Perique I am used to. This Perique amps up the plum sweetness and while the spice is there, the pepper is almost nonexistent. I thought this blend, as I prepared it for jarring, would be goopy -- far from it. It burns dry and completely to a fine ash.

Anni Kake, while not very complex, does deliver some interesting and unusual flavors. It's hard not to love this stuff. I am very interested to see what a couple years of aging will do.

Anni Kake is yet another unique, true masterpiece from Russ Ouelette. Recommended for everyone, not just Va/Per lovers. Even die hard aromatic smokers should try it.

The chemical balance that makes up our personal taste is a funny thing. I liked this blend but not nearly as much as the AJ's Vaper. Yet I think this one might be Russ Oullette's biggest triumph. This stuff seems flawless but lacks the quirky personality of AJ's that I find so intriguing.

Enough has already been said by others about this blend. I think every Vaper lover should try it, and I think most people will prefer it to AJ's. It's smoother and seems more refined. It just doesn't excite my tastebuds as much.

Russ Oullette is very quietly making a claim to the Vaper crown. This blend is quite a statement.

Houndstooth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Houndstooth (17)

A perfectly adequate smoke but nothing noteworthy. OK, the Vaper church isn't quite where I worship to begin with, but I'm sure there are better Vapers out there- and they also cost more. That's what this blend is not.

But what it is; I'm barely aware of the perique or the toppings. Doesn't get bitey either or deliver anything tangy which could get unpleasant. Performs well and smokes slowly like other good VA-centric blends. Maybe I'm more partial to flakes, but what I like about this is that it's good to go.

Yeah, that's blasphemy to those into the ritual. Me- there are times I never get to smoking those flakes because they're not ready when I need them, and if I rub them out I might not get around to smoking them soon enough. This is a reality for those who live in relatively dry climates.

This is for VA fans who are looking for something that doesn't break the bank. There's much to be said for that. I'd smoke more flakes if it wasn't for the expense and preparation. Two stars.

Pipe Used: cobs/small bowls

Age When Smoked: arrived a couple months ago

Purchased From: Hearth & Home

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

After reading others reviews of this blend I feel a little guilty about writing this review. While reading my review please remember that all tastes are different and one mans trash is anthers treasure.

People absolutely rant about this blend, and many very experienced pipe smokers list this in their top Virginias. I first purchased this many years ago after hearing the soaring praises, and have tried many times over many years to get to the bottom of this enigma, but alas I have finally thrown my hands up in defeat. I just dont get this blend. It does nothing for me.

I am a Vaper lover, and I have enjoyed some other of Mr. Ouillettes fabulous concoctions, but I cant for the life of me get this blend to perform.

The tin note here is really nice. Raisin and fig. The one thing I did notice in the tin was this was very moist for a Vaper. This had an almost aromatic stickiness to it. I suspect that this is due to some sort of humicant. I must admit, I get very little flavor off of this blend but I think I do detect some sort of humicant taste.

For some reason this one does not strike a chord with me, but others just love it. Give it a shot and decide for yourself.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Trevi 320

Age When Smoked: Purchased in 2008

M42 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M42 (11)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I had read so much about this tobacco and was anxious to try it. I'm a big fan of Hearth and Home tobaccos and when I placed my last order I got an ounce sample. In the bag the tobacco has a wonderful spicy aroma. But upon lighting it none of that spice came through. I found the tobacco to be very bland and it burned hot. You really have to smoke this one gently to the point of letting the pipe go out or you'll get a bad case of tongue bite. Although the tobacco packed well, stayed lit and smelled wonderful in the bag I found it to be a big disappointment lacking in flavor and burning much too hot for my taste.

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (54)

First blend of Mr. O I've tried-smell is figgish but with an overtone of cheap liquor. Dark tobacco, no kake to crumble, lights fair despite appearing correct in moisture contact. Taste is flat....only sense any flavor toward back of throat, but it's but bland, possibly poor quality tobacco? I don't know, all I do know is the entire tin is on its way to our local landfill, where it joins Irish Whiskey and Sutliffe's Westminster as being the only baccys achieving the title of crappy enough for the trash can... Not at all recommendable, sorry :(

piedpipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
piedpipester (19)

Tin aroma is rich with fruit/fig notes, upon the first few openings it almost has a liquor casing scent, but after several weeks, that has cleared up. The taste carries on as the aroma, rich, with the fig taste persent. This is a different kind of vaper, one i've never experienced before. The burn is good, it's tangy which can lead to a little bite if smoked too fast.

I have added it to my rotation, it is not an all day blend for me, but I usually find myself smoking a bowl in the evenings when I have time to take it slow. When you factor in the price, it's a great deal, and well worth keeping a tin of around.

Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This Vaper is arguably Russ Oullette's finest masterpiece. It's no surprise that his name comes up more and more often as one of America's best blenders. This tobacco comes with a wonderful tin aroma of figs, raisins and plums. It is moist and needs a bit of drying time. Being a vaper, it should be puffed with care as to avoid tongue bite. The flavor is on the sweet and tangy side of things. I enjoy this most in a Nording Bamboo. I have been told that the demand for this fine weed sometimes is so great that it leaves the warehouse very shortly after its made. I have cellared a good amount and watching AK's color deepen over the past several months is making it tough to wait things out! Highly recommended!

DrBoB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrBoB (7)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I have nothing new to add except that Russ told me he makes Ani Kake 9 pounds at a time and he has sold huge quantities of it. I save Ani Kake for when I can sit quietly and really appreciate the flavors as they evolve down the bowl. This, and Rolando's Own are my favorite tobaccos lately. They both are lovely blends...but Ani Kake is worth my full attention as I smoke a bowl lest I miss a wiff of spiciness or the evolution of the french-toast-like caramelization of the sugars in the Virginias....do yourself a favor and just get some and try it.

Mild None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

I had to get some of this tobacco after reading all of the positive reviews. I can't give it four stars due to the lack of strength, but can certainly agree that it is a very fine combination of Virginia and Perique. I was a little concerned as I neared the bottom of the bowl because the sweetness left and the Perique got a little too strong for me. Subsequent bowls were smoked to just past the halfway point and then dumped. Some may say that's a waste of tobacco, but, its the way I best enjoyed this blend, thank you very much.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

What a VaPer! This is an amazing smoke, I never get tired of it. Mellow Virginias with a very mild cocoa taste and a good dose of Perique which can be quite strong by the end of the bowl (just the way I like it, but if you're not a Perique fan it could get a bit overwhelming).

Definitely one of the top Virginia/Perique mixtures.

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (73)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a blend that needs drying out. From the tin, the tobacco is "sticky and clumpy" and I suspect that the chocolate is to blame.

When you spread this tobacco out to dry and smell it, the chocolate is there in a good amount. That's not a bad thing, just understand that chocolate is what you're smelling and not the virginia nor the perique. It's not V/P figgy smelling, it's Hershey®.

If you are or were ever a cigarette smoker (I raise my hand as a former cigarette smoker) then you'll understand when I call this the Marlboro® of pipe tobaccos. That's a compliment coming from me, not a negative remark.

Some won't know that chocolate is one of the biggest components of cigarette blends. I always smoked Camels and Marlboro Reds; The Camel gave a little turkish "bang" to the smoke and the Marlboros were full and smooth with that chocolate flavor. In fact, I'd say that Marlboros are probably the most chocolatey cigarettes as I remember them.

Anniversary Kake is still moist even after the drying and is more difficult than most to get lit properly. I wanted to be careful and not "over-heat" the tobacco and get into a harsh beginning. The cut is excellent for packing the pipe.

Patience is rewarded. Once settled, the blend hits a good full note and smokes consistently down the whole bowl. The Chocolate mutes the sweetness/woodiness of the virginia but keeps the perique from becoming a "pepper bomb" on the tongue. Solid, round and satisfying.

I found myself attempting to light the ashes once the bowl was done. The last quarter of the bowl was hearty and full. If you're not careful, you'll find yourself inhaling this tobacco (cigarette smokers/ex-smokers).

Anniversary Kake - I'll buy more. It's different enough to warrent a place in my tobacco rotation. If you like Gawith and Hoggarth "Louisiana Flake" then this is similar, maybe a bit fuller and definitely a cool smoking V/P with a heavy chocolate bass note.

Good stuff.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Tolerable

The trick to making a good Virginia/Perique blend is balance; balance between the red and lemon Virginias tempered by just the right kiss of Perique. Therein lies one of the secrets to this blend's success; Russ has nailed that perfect amount of the peppery Louisiana leaf.

One other thing I also love about this tobacco is its' cake form. I really enjoy rubbing out the correct amount to the texture I want. AK does come a little moist and some have reported success with drying it a bit before smoking it.

The taste is nothing short of exquisite. Tangy notes from the lemon Virginias mingling with the sweetness of the reds with the peppery Perique tones adding spice to the mix. Complexity is this blend's middle name. Towards the bottom of the bowl, the Perique moves more towards center stage to finish off the smoke.

Packing, lighting, and relights are all above average, particularly for a cake tobacco. Being a cake, it is also easier to store, since it takes up less room than a bulk tobacco.

Scores; Taste- 19 of 20; Packing and lighting- 8 of 10; Value- 9 of 10. That comes out to 36 points, the highest score I have totalled to date. Anniversary Kake gets ** big time!

beercritic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beercritic (15)

OK, I've been through all the H&H VaPers, this one, despite being a bit weaker on N, is the winner. I didn't like Escudo, but I will cellar some Peterson's Irish Oak, for an occasional treat. I'm usually craving an N or Lat Bomb, but I will repeatedly return to this wonderful stuff.

Pipe Used: churchwarden

Purchased From: P&C

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (74)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I've had these blocks in the cellar for 8 years now and, by George, it is still too wet to smoke! After drying out for a few minutes I'm a bit underwhelmed at first light.

Citrusy-sour Virginias are well-accordant with perique and I could swear I detect a hint of Cavendish. Halfway through the bowl a toastiness gradually rises and flavor intensifies - slightly.

The Perique comes into its own during the final phase of the bowl and I am a bit more encouraged.

Images evoked: Three blind mice constructing a miniature bidet with lemur-femur Lincoln Logs and tinker-toys made of rat skulls.

Pipe Used: Straight Briar

hiplainsdrifter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hiplainsdrifter (8)

My review is pretty much an echo of KinnScience's- Anniversary Kake is fine, nothing to complain about really. However, it certainly does not wow me at all. Solid Virginia flavor without too much sweetness, with varying degrees of Perique spice as the bowl progresses. This varying amount of spice is the only thing that saves this blend from one-note mediocrity. Using Gawith St. James Flake as a yard stick, this blend comes in somewhere just shy of 1 ft. Worth smoking in of itself, but it pales dramatically when compared to some of the other great VaPers out there.

Pipe Used: Ruthenberg 1/2 bent brandy

Age When Smoked: Unknown

SmokeDawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeDawg (55)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

Holy smokes this is a good one. In my opinion this one lives up to the hype, if it didnt I would say so. It was what I was hoping it was and a bit more. For the VaPer lover it should greatly please. The Virginias were really sweet, and probably the sweetest I've experienced to date and were up front and dominated the first half of bowl. That is something I was looking for as my other vapers are not so sweet and this gives this blend a distinct difference from other vapers. The perique kicked in towards the middle to end and got my nose running with the right amount of spice. I greatly appreciate the easy packing texture of this cake. It also allowed for an easy burn and good smoke. Im giving it 4 stars and I highly recommend this blend. I will buy more in bulk next time. Impressed.

Pipe Used: Peterson silver edition 69

TnRooster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TnRooster (15)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Wow is this good! Sweet and creamy, with a citrus tang from the Virginia's and a great tingle on the tongue from the Perique. My tin arrived ready to smoke but some have said it may need some drying time. Russ knows his tobaccos! Gonna have to give more of his blends a try.

Purchased From: PipesAndCigars.com

Darby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darby (15)

Hearth & Home - Anniversary Kake (Signature Series)

After seeing so many positive reviews, I bought a small evaluation sample from PipesandCigars, which came ready rubbed rather than in the cake form I was expecting. The tobacco did not disappoint.

First, the visual and tactile: I found the color and feel of the ready rubbed version to be reminiscent of a freshly crumbled bran muffin ... essentially a pile of soft, mildly sweet smelling semi-moist short broken ribbons of a nearly uniform med-dark brown color (with a few darker flecks present). As someone else mentioned, there seems to be a small amount of humecant present, giving the tobacco a soft and slightly spongy feel.

The tobacco packed and lit easily, and midway though the first third of the pipe, the flavors slowly began to steady and come into focus as the remainder kilned off its moisture. Given my experience with VaPrs to date, and the hefty dose of perique mentioned in the description, I was expecting a somewhat austere and mildly sweet smoke with a long peppery finish, and I was surprised instead by a mellow, buttery, and semi-sweet flavor that (for me) prominently evoked Scottish Shortbread, accompanied by subtle hints of bran muffin and fig. I’ve never experienced a butter-cookie note in a non-aromatic VaPr before, and yet there it was, and it carried all the way though the middle third as well. As I reached the bottom third, the smooth gentle salty/pepperiness of the perique finally emerged from behind the short bread, and lingered pleasantly long after the pipe was done.

This is a very pleasing smoke, and an entertaining left-of-center choice for VaPr fans looking for something a little different. Recommended. I give it a solid three stars (of 4). I'd like to give it 3 1/2, but the rating system here doesn't allow halfsies.

Pipe Used: Grabow Freehand (Group 4) & Royalton (Group 3)

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

halpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
halpuff (9)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Not being completely new to Va/Per's I found A/K to be somewhat of a disappointment. The tin note is extremely sweet and has a strong nose resemblence to Prince Albert in my opinion. The brown and tan pieces of crumble cake are very light and airy and one would need to use a magnifying glass to see any of the black perique within the mix. It's claimed to contain 15% Perique like Escudo but when smoking one would be hard pressed to sense any Perique at all. I suspect that the extreme sweetness of the virginias somewhat mask the perique. This loads and lights nicely with the tin moisture level being just right. There are many Va/Per's that are far better than A/K IMO and comes no where near the level of Escudo and others. The smoking experience is somewhat like smoking warm air. This is so light in strength and taste that I found it to be quite boring. This is just my opnion though. I tend to lean toward blends with a little more kick. Since this is all subjective, you may find it to be quite good.

I'm humbly revising my earlier review of this blend after revisiting Annie Kake for another try. I don't know what to attribute my change of heart to, but I decided to give Annie Kake another opportunity to impress me and for some reason it did just that. I found the experience to be much different than my first encounter with this blend. It just goes to show that one should never judge a blend without giving it an honest attempt. The lack of a presence of Perique was still the case but somehow it was not missed. I did notice a nice sweet taste on the back of my toungue and the snork aroma was heavenly.

Pipe Used: Briar

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (73)

In spite of the fact that I have smoked two pounds of this stuff I have never reviewed it. With over 100 already posted I suppose one more doesn't matter, mostly though it's because I am at a loss to understand why I like it. Let's start first with the fact that I did not ry this blend until right after H&H switched it's manufacturing to Sutliff so many of the descriptions I have read about large dark and dense cakes are not what I have got. In fact not a single tin I've opened has ever had cakes in it, it is instead a fluffy rough cut. It is rich brown in color with no visible sign of perique. It smells in the can of a hint of rum and must. The must is enough for me to say why do I like this but I do, inspite of my disappointment in the lack of cakes to break up I filled that first bowl with low expectations. A subtle sweetness flowed from the first light and the perique wafted in and out throughout the smoke. It has an almost buttery quality and I was soon finding myself craving it and it became a daily smoke for awhile.

I don't smoke as much of it these days but I still have another two pounds (in 8oz. cans) and will buy some more in the future. It is a bit moist, as some have pointed out, but not problematic.

Anyhoo I like it, maybe after a few more pounds I will be able to express more eloquently why. But I doubt it...

I'm giving it four stars but you should probably not use my review as a reference.

Pipe Used: varies

Age When Smoked: varies

Mudguts Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mudguts (12)

Best to smoke this tobacco in a small cob to get the flavor, body and improve burning characteristics. Virginias blend well, and together with the somewhat sweetish-mellow perique and chocolate undertones (and sweet, tinny highlights), finds the introductory pulls on this VAPER scoring high for this smoker. Really a fantastic first impression. After the first 2/3 of your bowl, things go a bit downhill. Last 1/3 of bowl can be bitter and just really full of wet unburned tobacco. Not sure why this blend of Russ’s stays so wet. Anyway, give it some time to dry, smoke it slow, take in the thick smoke and mild nicotine, and keep it in a small cob for best results. Small cob does not require much drying time at all, but if you plan on smoking in a medium to large briar, plan on lengthy drying sessions before you put it to the flame. Rating is as smoked in small cob.

Pipe Used: small MM corn cob

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: pipesandcigars

Mr.MeerBill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr.MeerBill (35)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

smells great out of the tin doesn't pack or burn well underwhelming in the taste department but give it a shot if you can try it for free like I did

WilboZ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WilboZ (3)
Medium None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I've been an Aro-Smoker for over 35 years. This year I found out that you can actually TASTE your pipe tobacco and not just Smell it! Latakia and other Orientals have been on the menu in several variation,s and I really like the subtleties in flavor and taste. However, I saw some very positive reviews on a group of blends of tobaccos called VaPers (well, it was new to me anyway!). This was my introduction to H&H Anniversary Kake. So, I ordered four ounces to see if it could actually be "that good." IT REALLY WAS! I love this stuff!!! Tasty Sweet Virginias (whatever Russ found to mix in) and the Perique...Oh, the Perique. Sweet Cinnamon Bun Spicy Goodness! And, when I came back to re-order, it appeared that everyone else had discovered it too! THEN CAME THE FAMINE HIT: Backordered!!!

So, for the past three weeks I've been on an ordering rampage !my wife DEFINATELY thinks so! I've been trying desperately to find a Virginia/Perique blend to fill the void in my life since the H&H AnniKake famine began; From PS Luxury Navy Flake to Luxury Bullseye Flake. McClellands 2015, Escudo Navy Deluxe and even Dunhill's Deluxe Navy Rolls. (They seem SO similar!) Please don't misunderstand me. I can honestly say, these tobaccos I've sampled over the past couple of weeks are very good. Some of them are Extremely Good...BUT, none of them Ring my Bell like the Anniversary Kake! Please tell me that Russ has this stuff ready to ship. I'm having AnniKake withdrawals.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a great VAPer. It has the sweet and the spicy, but they don't overpower. This is not a daily smoke for me, but it it tasty, and I have a couple of pipes with large bowls that seem especially well suited to this blend. There is a certain complexity to the smoke and I find I savor it in an occasional bowl.

I recommend this a little higher than Rolando's Own (also a H&H). If you think you might like to try a VaPer, I would start with this one. I suspect I will always have some of this on hand.

Mild Medium Mild Tolerable

The tobacco is wet, breaks too easily for a Krumble kake. and the chemical has something vaguely chemical.

I let it dried for a long period but it still felt too wet under my finger.

It smoked hot and was not pleasant.

Dragonslayer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dragonslayer (4)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

AK is a rough mix and the flavors revolve around and a constant surprise. To me this has "age it" written all over it. I can't wait to try the jars I have at one year and five, and hopefully have some left by ten years. This is one that I'll be stocking beside my BBF and FVF for the future years of enjoyment. The difference being I know what to expect in my planks, but this crumble is going to have some surprises.

Kokinhenik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kokinhenik (39)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Bulk Blend Smack Down: This is a fantastic bulk buy! What stands out about this is that the Price point is a steal! Really loved this one! Nice smoke. Virginias are very light and leave lots of room for that Perique. Very well balanced. Great morning smoke with nutty toasty overtones. A real Joy to smoke.

Briarfire007 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarfire007 (10)

This is a wonderful blend. The crumbled presentation is very easy to pack. My tin is very moist. I have found that allowing it to air out for at least an hour makes it much easier to smoke. Even then, it still has a moist texture, but behaves much better.

My advice is to pack it tightly and draw very gently. You will be rewarded with a slightly sweet smoke. The first light is heavenly. I get a faint graham cracker taste. Absolutely fantastic. Higly recommend. I have been smoking it in a large bowled Ser Jacopo picta magritte and loving every bowl. Allow it to dry a bit or you may have difficulty keeping it lit. Pack it a little tighter than you think you should. I can't recommend it enough. Russ has given us a very tasty blend here!

Merven the Great Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Merven the Great (18)

Hard to beat! I have been cellaring this for two years, after a small taste when I received it of course. It was great then and now it is awesome. Nice hint of chocolate and nice aftertaste. Room note is not offensive at all I've been told. Recommend with a heavy red or port/muscat. cheers

JuanOrez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JuanOrez (7)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

This is my favorite VA/PER blend. Russ really did an excellent job with this one. The best part about this blend is how well it ages. If you add a couple years of age the smoke just really sings. I can't give this one high enough praise. It's naturally sweet and a little tiny bit spicy from the perique. The longer this one ages, the better it gets. Sweeter, more refined and more amazing every year. Thanks Russ!

unixhelp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
unixhelp (7)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

Chocolate and Raisins, nice room note, burns well in most of my pipes

Taerin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taerin (20)

This is my first VAPER so keep this in mind. I recieved a sample of this blend after it was stored for 6 months and dried out to the correct moisture level by a differint person. It had very low bite, smoked with a lot of flavor. I got the VA sweetness and the perique was definatley not overpowering, as many reviewers have stated after about 6 months or so, that it goes into the background. I definatley want to order more of this before it runs out and to celler it for a while.

brogreggblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brogreggblues (45)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

When I bought this blend in October 2010, I liked it. My notes at the time were "Big, gorgeous VaPer. Like smoking a charbroiled steak, with a little Bloody Mary mix added". After a year and a half of focusing almost exclusively on English blends, I dipped into the jar of AK that has been quietly aging, all of this time.

Pouch aroma still good, baccy a bit dry but still serviceable. Packed into my medium bowl Mario Grandi, a quick light, and WOW. All the sharp edges I remember with this blend have been removed, the Bloody Mary mix has been replaced with cocoa powder. Mellow, mellow, mellow. For a non-latakia blend, this is very rich and satisfying. Reminds me a bit of Sam Gawith's Commonwealth Blend.

Stays lit, no bite, copious clouds of thick smoke. Not much Nick to be found, which is fine by me.

The only other VaPer I really like is Bayou Morning, by Cornell and Diehl. That blend is very sharp, and bitey unless sipped slowly. This aged AK is neither sharp nor bitey, and I've been pulling on it pretty hard.

My rating for Anniversary Kake: Upon arrival, 2 1/2 stars. Aged since October 2010: 10 stars out of 4. Really outstanding.

Brekken Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brekken (11)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I really wanted to love this, got it as a part of a sampler from p&c and all the other baccys in the sampler was excellent. This one ive tried in meers and briars and cobs but it still doesn't work for me. It burns cool enough and does not bite easily, love the crumble cake form. However the taste does not tickle my tastebuds the right way, not for me but would recommend trying it. Gonna stock up a macon-jar and let it age some years, the review will be subject to change after that.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Chocolate covered figs served on graham crackers with a glass of port best describes the tin note and initial lighing. Crumble kake does just that, crumbles when you pick it up. Easy to prepare and light, a few months of resting in a jar delivers perfect moisture. I do not get any bite from this whatsoever, and I have a very VA sensitive tongue.

I cannot see myself smoking this all day, but it is a great evening smoke that paired very well with a VSOP Cognac.

After a year of aging, I upgrade to 4 stars. And I can see myself smoking this all day long!

Wellpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wellpipe (48)

Rubbed out and left to air a while this blend has good burning qualities. Some sweetness of the VA comes through countered by the peppery spice of Perique but I have to say the flavors seemed a bit muted. I smoked this very gently because I could tell from the start that it was trying to bite. ESCUDO is my benchmark for a 4-star VAPer and this one did not reach that height. 3 stars for a good effort and a decent blend. If I were stuck on a desert island with nothing but Anniversary Kake I would probably be content for a while, but eventually would build a raft in hopes of finding ESCUDO or Stonehaven on a neighboring island.

Mystic Rune Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mystic Rune (35)

As far as Vaper's go, for my enjoyment, First came 2015, then Fillmore. Now...after smoking two 8 ounce tins, Anniversary Kake is my number one Vaper. Upon opening the tins, the tobacco in both was in medium sized broken chunks. A little rubbing out and a few hours of drying time and this is a great smoke. Smooth, creamy, sweet and a tad musty. Perfect with a cup of coffee on the porch swing in the late evening. Great natural notes of cocoa in both the aroma and flavor. Burns clean, dry and to the bottom of the bowl. Has been very consistent and a 4 star blend for me.

rhogg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rhogg (10)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

To me this is just a good tasty tobacco. It does not have any especially amazing qualities; however it burns well, packs well, lights well, smells good, tastes good, doesn't bite, and has a nice little dose of vitamin N.

I do pick up the chocolate figgy notes, but for me I get that in the taste. The flavor really comes out on a slow drawl, and a wide open exhale. I don't really associate this with a topping. It is just a natural tobacco taste.

Best in a medium sized bowl of your choice. I would buy more, but currently have a lot of new blends to work through.

I am saving 4 stars for tobaccos that blow me away, but I do recommend trying this blend, and I will likely buy more if it is available.

Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I love the Krumble kake cut, but my initial try with this blend I fought some bite all the way. I cellared the remainder for about 6months and tried again after letting the tobacco dry for about an hour. The smell in the jar has a distinct whiskey or rum topping. The retry was OK, but not something I would get excited about. The tobacco still smoked hot for the first 1/3 of the bowl, even at a sip. It seemed to smooth out after that, and gave a nice sweet flavor with a hint of whiskey, I don't get the chocolate, or Perique fig . It failed the wife test , but then again, they all do. I think this needs to go back in the cellar for about a year. I can't see why I would buy this again with all the better Virginias/Vapers available. I'm surprized by all the 4 star reviews below, what am I doing wrong?

Updated 1/20/12- Ah, there it is, after almost 12 months of cellaring, this has mellowed. Has a nice sweetness, no bite, yes still some spice but just enough to make it interesting. Not my favorite Vaper but very good. 3 stars

Updated 2/10/12- I've been smoking the hell out of my one year old "stash" of AK and it is wonderful . It now reminds me of a McClelland type Vinegar Virginia , say 5100 Red Cake, then kick it up with some Perique and you really have this winner. I just purchased another 4 ozs. to start the ageing process again , but I found the new sample to taste almost as good as the aged. For those that like" McVV", you can't beat this as a VaPer. Well let me clarify that, sweet and sour, a little diffrent than Escudo.My only problem is it is very spicy and you can't smoke this all day, so I have to keep this at 3 stars.

Updated 12/26/12- NOPE ! Just don't feel this is for me . Even after a year of cellar time ,this is still hot and spicy. Less sweet and more sour, dries and puckers the mouth. Flavor reminds me of "Prince Albert". I know , different tobaccos, but still a similar experience.

BradS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BradS (22)

I was gifted a mason jar crammed full of Anni Kake recently. It smelled like the description says, of figs with a hint of chocolate. The tobacco was purchased February 2010, but it was still moist. Looks like a good quality crumble cake type.

I rubbed out a good quantity and thought I would try it without any dry time. I loaded a Wiley freehand with a large bowl. Anni Kake lit fairly easily and was smooth and sweet from the start. My Wiley has an easy draw, so it was easy to smoke it slow, but still get a nice volume of smoke.

The flavor remained to the bottom of the bowl, which lasted nearly an hour. About 2/3 down, I had to set the pipe down for 20 minutes and come back to it. This tobacco DGT's well too. After a quick relight, the flavor was right back without any ashy taste.

I'm glad I received a good 6-7 ounces of this blend because I really like it. I wouldn't mind putting away a pound in the cellar to make sure it's around when I want it.

roscoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
roscoe (11)

This tobacco, while not high quality, was wonderfully chocolate covered cherry flavored, and burned well, when I first tried it two years ago? based on others' reviews. Unfortunately the taste has gone downhill since.

CornCobBob61 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCobBob61 (10)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Tolerable

I wanted to like this one I really did.I like both english and aros and after reading all the good reviews I ordered this one right away.I was expecting a nice sweet smoke .It was like smoking air.There was nothing there nothing at all.No tobacco taste no sweet taste nothing at all.Il;l finshing the pouch but wont reorder.

Mr. Brizzi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Brizzi (15)
Extremely Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

Not what I had expected nor anticipated, though certainly not a bad smoke, either.

To set the Record straight, I had previously been smoking a full bodied Turkish blend, strong enough to cause headaches and make my 18" fez tassle spin like a propeller on a beanie-copter. Having finished the Turkish blend, I decided to smoke this blend. It was like listening to a Germanic operetta sung by a tenor barritone and suddenly going to the alto soprano of Tiny Tim, singing "Tiptoe Through the Tulips".

The strength is very mild with the typical Virginia-noted tongue bite characteristics of unaged tobacco. Sipped, relatively no bite remained, to cause alarm. The Room Note, is nice. The flavor, bizarre. Maybe my tastebuds are finally shot after 45 years of smoking a pipe, because what I taste is, sweetened brewed tea (no milk), and toasted bread. Not bad, but definitely not what I expect in a pipe tobacco blend. This is a softer blend which I will venture a guess, that has been aimed towards a younger/newer pipe smoking audience, and there is nothing wrong with doing just that. I rate this blend at 2-stars.

Bear in mind, I love full bodied, robust blends. Latakia, I am immensely fond of. All lovers of lighter blends, or if you simply desire a lighter blend in your rotation, sipping this one is important, to avoid the Virginia tongue bite issue. I would think that aging/cellaring this blend for about three years minimum, will render a thigh-soft smoking experience. As for me, I will continue the Southwestern Orient blends, and Balkan blends, in particular.

RangePool Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RangePool (6)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Arrived in slightly broken-up 2X4 cakes. They were a little moist and could have used some aging. The pouch aroma, as described by the blender, is a very unique figs/prunes/chocolate that I like a great deal. The smoking flavor is consistent with the pouch aroma. It burns well with a little drying and easily stays lit with a slow pace. One of my current favorites and deserving of 4 stars.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (84)

First, I was disappointed this blend didn't blow me away after reading all the four star reviews. The blend did smell nice, a bit lemony in the bag and it had a nice tang to it whether it was from the lemon virginias or perique I'm not sure. It burnt smooth but I found it to be otherwise bland. I smoked it intermittantly in rotation over 2 months while keeping it in a flip seal mason jar.

I think I gave it a fair trial, smoking through the bag and going back time and again. But it didn't knock me out and I can't say I ever really got to looking forward to smoking it. Perhaps I got a substandard batch and there's a quality control issue?

Generally, I favor english/oriental blends over english/virginia/vaper blends but I like to have a straight virginia in the non-aromatic rotation to have a change of pace. Importantly, I should note, some of the best blends I've smoked have been predominantly English virginias and I recently rated a virginia flake at 4 stars. So, I am not entirely adverse to predominantly virginia blends.

This blend has no detectable casings or flavorings. Anyone who thinks it's an aromatic has been smoking wacky weed.

Worth a try especially for the virginia fans.

criptonite Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
criptonite (1)

When i first bought this and smoked i fell in love with it. Gots a great smell and a great chocolate cake taste to it. This has became one of my favorite tobacco.

Hiram Briar 23 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hiram Briar 23 (12)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Excellent tobacco blend.

arrived in nice little bricks/ kakes with a little shake from shipping. smells amazing right out the bag, very fruity almost like a prune/ fig/ bakers chocolate aroma. very sweet smelling. a little damp but lights very easily. i broke it up in my palm a tad and it packs very well. not fluffy at all so i gave it a light tamp. flavoring is not apparent at first but the smoke is abundant light and fluffy. flavor reminds me of a light brew of good coffee, all the way through. towards the end of the bowl the flavor became very sweet and i could definitely taste the fig casing. no bite at all and very mild and relaxing. i Highly Highly recommend this blend. when i heard virginia perique i was concerned it may be a little peppery but its not at all. room note is very nice and dissipates shortly after a good smoke and doesn't linger.

I would give it five stars if i could.

edit: after smoking this for a while ive learned a few things: keep your pipe clean. Anniv Kake will leave a dusty old resin aftertaste in the stem thats not very pleasant and ruins the experience of this tobacco, cleaning with spiced rum brings out the flavor of this blend: It also combines well with many other tobacco blends, so if youre a mixer like me youll have fun blending this one around. also: i am pretty sure there were several batches made during the single run of this, some turned out better than others, the more compact solid block cakes turned out very nice whereas the light crumbly cakes are lackluster. and: leave it in block form until youre ready to smoke it

cranziron Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cranziron (9)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

To me, this is the epitome of a fine VaPer tobacco. Interesting complex flavor components, wonderful tin aroma, cool smoking and bite free. I like to smoke this in a big bent Meer to pull the most out of this smoke. The taste is creamy, rich and sweet with undertones of dates and raisins. Highly recommended!

cwnet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cwnet (3)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

It's my first v+p bland.It smell nice.I think the blander has mix some red wine in it.The taste is very sweet.I have to say the Anniversary Kake is a wonderfel bland.

Pike Mopers III Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pike Mopers III (6)

Very smooth and pleasant Virginia blend. Tasty and easy on the tongue. It's relatively inexpensive and keeps fresh for a long time in its cake form. Love opening the jar of this and taking a big whiff! Will certainly be ordering more of this next time I order from pipesandcigars!

Kashmir Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kashmir (19)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I just recently purchased 16oz. of Russ Oullette's Anniversary Kake. It arrived as a slightly broken dark "kake", with some of the original bars, measuring 2 x 4 inches, still intact. However, the bulk of it was pretty well broken up due to the packaging.

I found the contents slightly moist to my taste and, after storing the bulk in labeled Mason jars, I broke up a few oz. and placed them on a plate for 2 days in the garage, at which point, the material had dried somewhat and was entirely smokable using only one post-charing light.

Jar scent: Fig-like, sweet with chocolate overtones. Pipe: Dunhill #4112 shell briar billiard. Packing using Frank's method. Beverage: Diet Coke.

The first half of the bowl smokes very smoothly, producing a rich creamy smoke, where the sweet virginias really come through. The Perique component could be higher in my opinion, but its there and only intensifies as one progresses down the bowl. I like to smoke Va/Per blends in tall bowls, such as billiards and chimneys, because it intensifies the smoke in the second half of the bowl, allowing less air, as compared to pots and open apples etc. which allow more air during the burn. Anniversary Kake needed only an occasional tamping to cool down the smoke.

I really like Escudo, HH Acadian Perique, Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake and McClellan's 2015 and Anniversary Kake from Russ Oullette really fits the bill. Be aware however that the stock is limited, so make sure you have enough on hand for cellaring. All in all, highly recommended and with a price ($27/16oz.) that can't be beat.

Nice going Russ on a great blend!

Cadence Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cadence (3)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I agree with Modelman; I think I got a bad batch. Judging from all the wonderful reviews I was anticipating a sublime smoke from this tobacco. Unfortunately, I did not receive one. I enjoyed cutting and rubbing out the kake, but the taste was just bland. Nothing at all like the reviews on this page.

I must have gotten a bad batch but I'm reticent to purchase more to find out if I did or not. Giving it two stars for merit alone.

Good luck.

Hetch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hetch (1)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I loved the taste of this blend. However, it appeared to be missing something? I blended 2 ounces of Kake with 2 ounces of Tinderbox Burley Light and for me, that was the trick! I know that may be blasphemy to some on this board, but I love the way this blend now stays lit. I've been hitting this as an all day smoke for a few weekends now.

Uncle Arthur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uncle Arthur (15)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Russ has proved himself a genius in my book with this superb blend. For me it was just right out of the pouch for moisture content. The flavor is fantastic!

Tallman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tallman (35)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I like this one well enough that, after ordering a 4 oz sample, I ordered 2 lbs. That should say it all! Great smoke! I can't say enough about it. It's better if you let it dry for a half hour or so, but it's really good straight out of the bag (or jar, or whatever).

modelmanmodels Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
modelmanmodels (11)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I guess I am missing something here. When I received the 2 ounces that I ordered I was excited at first. Interesting, rich smell and very dark. It was from a bulk supply and partially rubbed. I wasn't sure if it was chewing tobacco or smoking tobacco...VERY moist. Too moist. I smoked 2 pipe fulls today and I really can't get a sense of the flavor or the room note. I realize that Perique is supposed to be a big part of this but not with this batch. Very bland and dissapointing. I'm honestly wondering if I got a bad batch. I rely heavily on our reviews to obtain new frontiers. I also live in New York and have to pay the usary tax that is so ridiculus. So, when I saw the popularity of this blend I had to try it. Maybe it will improve with some drying out. I for one would like to experience what eveyone else seems to. I'm drying out the balance of the batch for a day or two and we'll see. If you live in NY, it's not worth the taxation levy...

ivycap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ivycap (63)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Extra mild with a slight spicy/sweet perique essence. I was a bit disapointed with the mildness of the blend. However, someone who likes perique blends, but finds most of them a bit too strong, may like this blend.

wandererfromtx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wandererfromtx (2)

Just like to add to the number of reviews, this is a fantastic smoke

pipeslayer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeslayer (16)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

WOW. I love this tobacco. This is elegant, intellectual stuff for the sophisticated palate. The aroma of this kake is rich, sweet, and luscious, with lots of earthy overtones, dates, and raisins. It looks and smells so good I almost ate it. The flavor and aroma convey all of these elements nicely in the smoke, along with a delicious, mildly spicy truffle element from the perique. The VA flavor is smooth and rich, and this stuff is beautifully balanced. I cannot recommend this highly enough. It burns beautifully, has no bite, and smokes great in any pipe I've tried it in (including clay tavern pipes, cobs, and briars). This is my favorite weed right now, no question. If you are looking for something strong and aggressive, this is not the best choice, but if you want a refined, beautifully orchestrated, contemplative smoke, this is it.

sagesmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sagesmoke (14)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

My first "cake". Yum. A bit peppery when blown out the nose.

str8blastpot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
str8blastpot (6)

first review guys. this is far and away one of the finest tobaccos i've smoked in 30 plus years. i've always sought a non aromatic smoke that gave flavor and rich layers. this one is spot on for me. lights beautifully and keeps it's character through the entire bowl. it is not a bowl you over smoke. Mc 2015 does that nicely and StJames flake is over the top for me. if Marie Antoinette had offered the masses this 'kake' she'd have kept her head. morning, noon and night a lovely smoke.

Boomer-Z Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Boomer-Z (22)

So many others have stated the samething I am going to say. This is nice tobacco. Medium in flavor with good smoke volume. I am a puffer and I have found just a little bite. I consider when I do get "bitten" by any tobacco it is my fault because of that.

I recommend reading the reviews below and take a chance. For the price it is hard to beat. AK is in my regular rotation and I lookf forward to each bowl I smoke.

Benton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Benton (13)

Good news: Unlike other reviewers, I got a sample which came as a genuine cake: a 2 oz. block of fine red ribbon pressed into a solid mass. The smell is wonderful in the pouch. The flavor is great; very sweet with lots of perique raisin/fig/prune flavor.

Bad news: This stuff bit me very baddly over and over. Drying, less rub out, and smoking slowly all help, but in the end I had to cut it 50/50 with a very heavy Balkan. Surprizingly, the AK ended up as the dominant flavor in the mix, which I enjoyed very much.

Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

With the four star reviews of this blend, I thought I was in for a treat as I have been liking H and H blends of late. Wrong! This is just smoke in my book. Flat, cigarette like. It is a gorgeous tobacco, in the pouch it is a velvety thickly cut broken flakes with a dark oily appearance, simply looks great and inviting. Very moist so must be dried out overnight. It is fairly dark in color and a mixed brown in color. It smells terrific, the fig like aroma in the pouch of the perique and the tangy aroma of a good Va. After drying, it rubs out to large loose flakes and it packs in the pipe very easily. It lights quite well and with one light after char. It stays lit and burns clean down to a fine dark gray ash. But it never develops into anything. It does not have the sweetness that I like in a Va and the Perique is way in the background and never comes out. I really wanted this tobacco to sing for me as it's well priced and is just a fun tobacco to work with, but flat all the way through is what I get. I don't understand all the 4 star reviews it gets. So, I cannot recommend this one, it's just smoke.

gazpacho Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gazpacho (18)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Not much to add to these glowing review except the volume of my voice. This is an absolute premium blend at a bargain basement price. I buy it bulk and celler most of it, as this is one of those blends we are going to cry over when it is gone.

For new smokers, this is an easy tobacco to appreciate, and as you become more experienced, it's complexity will unfold for you.

Buy it. Smoke it. Enjoy it.

Meisterlowin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meisterlowin (16)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Anything that I could write about AK would be largely redundant. That said, I'll give it three stars for being a very nice and satisfying smoke.

Cancerman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cancerman (13)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

Update: I'm finding the more I smoke a pipe that the more I find that it takes many many bowls of a particular tobacco to get a real 'feel' for it. It's like eating food, at times you will have the best bowl of ice cream that you ever had in your life, then the next day you'll have a bowl of the same ice cream and it's just OK. That's one of the reasons I like to rotate my toaccos, it just seems at times I have the perfect blend at the perfect time and life is good!

That said, I'm finding that after many bowls of this blend the first light seems to be pretty harsh indeed, but about mid bowl I can't put it down, and I often find myself with that feeling of 'the best tobacco in my life', but the next day it's just OK and another blend rises above this one.

Original Review: I was a bit disappointed when I first got this tobacco becuase it's the first pressed tobacco that I've ever bought. It's amazing how it can be compressed into a small block, and I've always wondered how they come up with the weights, do they weigh it real wet, or is it based on dry weight, do you get more tobacco when buying a dry bulk blend, do the aromatics cost less because of the weight of the propylene glycol? And what is the effect of smoking propylene glycol with your tobacco? Well we don't have to worry about that with this tobacco because it is all natural with no 'casings' added.

After smoking some low nicotine aromatics, no tobacco taste strong nicotine aromatics, and smokey latakia blends, I have to say that this is a welcome change and will have a permanent place in my rotation. This truely is 'spicey' as they say, and has significant nicotine as well. I am an infrequent smoker, having about a bowl a day, and I have to say that this blend really satisfies. Highly recommended. Not sure about the room note as I always smoke alone outside, and I don't think a smoker can really tell what the room note is unless another person is in the room, but I listed it as 'pleasant'.

Update: After trying several other blends I came back to this one. Usually after half a bowl I dump it and move on to other activites but upon smoking this one a second time I found that I just couldn't bring myself to dump the bowl, it was that good. It's surely one of my favorites.

Sailorjack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sailorjack (57)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My God I love this stuff! I'm not really big on Perique but it is so well balanced by the sweet Virginias in this blend. Sweet and spicy, complex, smooth and so satisfying. I have had my most sublime smoking moments with Anniversary Kake. This is definitely my desert island smoke. LOVE IT!! LOVE IT!! LOVE IT!!

THANKS RUSS!!!!

Capt Bruce Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt Bruce (1)
Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I started smoking a pipe (2nd time round) in April. I ordered 10 different types of tobacco. After several months all are gone, or close to it. I don't think I am experienced enough to give an in-depth analysis, but I can say, Ann. Kake is on the top of my list of 3(out of the original 10) that I will re-order. It was good enough to get my girlfriend to start smoking a pipe (this is her preferred tobacco as well). Definitely worth anyone's time and money to try once.

Pipe Den Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Den (2)

The first couple of bowls of this I thought this is going to be a regular smoke. But it quickly lost its flavour and became somewhat boring. The Perique taste at the end of the bowl was tolerable but nothing I liked and without the sweetnes coming through more it was just OK. With all the hype I was diappointed. Not much tongue bite and fairly easy to smoke. 2.5 stars

JLong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JLong (35)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I got a generous ounce of this stuff from Pipes and Cigars two months ago and it just seemed bland at first. It wasn't bad though. After half a dozen bowls or so, I lost any desire for it, stashed it in a Mason jar, and forgot about it.

I cracked the jar this evening, loaded a bowl, and holy moly is this sheat ever delicious. Smooth, full bodied, sweet, and chocolaty. I'm on my second bowl as I write this. One just wasn't enough.

It does seem on the moisty side and after 30 minutes of air drying, it smokes effortlessly.

Tyro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tyro (10)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

A good, strong, VaPer... but... the taste is a bit harsh at times. I prefer C&D Night Train which to my ignorant palate is just as flavorful and nic laden but smoother and more consistently well behaved.

pipewhisperer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipewhisperer (6)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

I am a die-hard McClelland Virginia fan; no apologies. Now, after smoking AK for a month, I would pick this tobacco as the one I would want to be stranded on an island with. At times, I cannot tell the Perique presence at all. Others, it sneaks out at the end of the bowl, but doesn't slap my taste buds silly. The most notable aspect of this smoke is that, as soon as I finish a bowl, I want to fire another one up. I can't get it to bite and the palate aftertaste is nil. I have a few pounds cellared and may well add to that before the summer is over. Kudos to Russ on a grand slam.

jshrader13 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jshrader13 (16)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

What can I say that the other's haven't already said? This was my first non-aromatic. It's flat out a great smoke! Smells great, tastes great, highly recommended! I'll definitely be cellaring some of this!

Circus Bear Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Circus Bear (3)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I have just finished the very generous sample of Anniversary Kake that P&C sent with my last order, and I'm hooked! This has become my first smoke of the day. Easy to crumble and load-up, easy to light, sweet, with just enough perique to spice it up. I'm ordering a pound, no, two pounds incase they run out of this stuff! If you like VAPERs, do yourself a favor and try this one out.

Saluki Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Saluki (11)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

My sample of Anniversary Kake arrived with a perfect moisture level and was easy to prepare for smoking. After switching back and forth between this blend and Hal O' the Wynd (another blend I like), I can't decide which one I prefer. AK smokes cooler for me, but HOTW better satisfies my nicotine craving. I plan to buy a pound of Anniversary Kake for aging.

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

This is based on a relatively small sample from a buddy of mine that arrived fully rubbed out. Probably five bowls or so, perhaps a bit more. I found this blend to be a bit on the sweet side and a little bit goopy as well. It had a nice rich flavor without being overpowering and no noticeable amount of nicotine.

This blend strikes me as a VA/Per crossover blend as it has a lot of aromatic characteristics.

Did I like it? Yes. Did I love it? No. For me personally I'd prefer McClelland 2015... that's just more up my alley.

Pipe Shanties Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Shanties (3)

I am certainly pleased with this blend. puff after puff i was rewarded with a smooth sweet n' peppery taste that lingers. the perique is noticable which gives the blend an extra kick.

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (66)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

The last review noted that there are blends that "ring your bell" and this one certainly does that for me, too. There is little to be added to the excellent reviews below. This is an interesting flake, not made with long strands, but with chopped tobacco. The finished "Kake" looks like particle board and I have mostly rubbed it out, although you could break or cut it into chunks and smoke it that way, which I will have to try. It burns nicely, does not heat up the pipe no matter how hard you puff. Anniversary Kake performs well in a range of pipe sizes and shapes. AK smokes smooth, never bites, and delivers a sweet spiciness that is a delight. This will easily be my "go to" baccy. Russ Oullette has a home run with this one.

DaveS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DaveS (11)

Almost a mystical tobacco. Taste is wonderfully addictive. I am mainly a smoker of strong english blends, but, for some unknown reason, this one is a go to every day. A must try for all pipe smokers.

Quick_nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Quick_nick (27)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

Anni Kake is a very nice bulk blend. It's cheap and it is a great smoke. The aroma in the bag is fruity with a hint of chocolate. It also appears to be like 5100 hundred if 5100 was in cake form. It is very satisfying but needs a long time to dry out to smoking level, very wet. My biggest complaint is the moisture and I wish there was a bit more perique in this blend. Overall it's good stuff.

rx2010 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rx2010 (3)

The prelite note is chocolate cakiness, the room note (although I was smoking outside, so the backyard note) was pleasant, typical VA scent to me.

the first half of the bowl was sweet, chocolate/figgy-raisin, etc. really good. I enjoyed it. The second half of the bowl was more typical of perique to me, I got some pepper in addition to the va flavor. It was still somewhat muted though, and not offensive to the palate. Great Tobak, definitely my dessert island smoke

Country Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Country Piper (12)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I am usually found smoking a good English/Balkan but wanted a little change of pace. I ordered 8 oz of Anniversary Kake. When it arrived I loaded up my 35 year old Larsen ( Ole made some beautiful pipes )and had a most enjoyable smoke. This tobacco arrived with a perfect moisture content and was easy to light. What a wonderful blend of va/per! The room note has brought no complaints from those around me. This stuff can be smoked all day long without worries. I kept out two oz for smoking and set up the rest for long term storage. Cant wait to try this in about five years! I will be ordering more. You cant go wrong.

smokinj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokinj (19)

very easy to smoke! I have some of this stuff that i aged now for 3 years and it just gets better with time

As a new reviewer I first want to say how thoroughly I enjoy tobaccoreviews.com. It is a fantastic database of information that provides for many hours of pleasurable reading - and it goes without saying - helpful insights for all fellow pipe aficionados. I visit the site several times a day and always come away with a new perspective concerning pipe tobaccos. A big thank you to all of my fellow reviewers and for the hosting of this site.

After reading all of the reviews for ANNIVERSARY KAKE (a Hearth & Home bulk tobacco blend that can be obtained through pipeandcigars.com), it was a blend I just had to try. My 1 pound order arrived yesterday in a zip-lock bag. It was a combination of solid kakes and the rest of the kakes crumbled (shakes). The aroma upon opening the bag was sweet and spicy with a mustiness present as well. I didn't detect any chocolate aroma from the bag per-se. I don't know if there really is any in the mix: the word "chocolate" being used more as a descriptive item along with "fig-like" to describe the pouch aroma by the blenders. I believe the "chocolate" description to be attributed to the Perique. In spite of this, there was a chocolate-like quality to the smoke that I found very appealing, and in no way cloying.

It was moist in the bag, but not overly so. I scooped out some crumbled, partly broken bits, and set it on a napkin while crumbling it some more. I didn't feel the need to dry it out and proceeded to load it into a 7 inch sandblast ALPHA Canadian that hasn't been smoked very much over the years (I have over 100 pipes) and was set aside just for this blend after placing my order.

I've been a pipe smoker for nearly 35 years and have tried virtually all different types of blends ranging from the smokiest of Latakia to the goopiest of aromatics. With ANNIVERSARY KAKE, the Virginia was very subdued as far as Virginias go - not a typical VA tasting blend in my opinion, and only mildly sweet. It was never hay-like or grassy. The Perique did present with its characteristic pepper-like taste. I am not a huge fan of Perique, but it was just right for me. It burned nicely; a fine, medium-gray ash was all that was left at the end.

I found that taking your time with this one was needed to bring out any of the Virginia flavor. This also brings out the chocolate note which is way better tasting than if chocolate had been added to the tobacco by the blenders (according to the blenders, no chocolate is added). A very skillfully blended tobacco that definitely gets better with aging, and very tasty in a narrow guage bowl.

forestfires123 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
forestfires123 (4)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This kake rolls out very nice. Perfect balance between moisture and loft- it packs very easily. The smell upon breaking it or while in the bag is of raisins, plum, fig and a bit of vanilla with a definite promise of a clean tobacco taste. The charring light brought a wonderful sweet cherry and charcoal aroma to my nose and I became very excited about this blend. This blend reminds me of some the house blends of my local tobaccanist offers- the aroma is almost aromatic but the taste is where this blend excels. The perique shows it self as a smooth, cool and sweet addition- not very spicy through the nose. I miss that aspect a bit. The lemons come and go adding a bit of citrus to the blend. It burns well enough and overall is a wonderful blend.

There is too much chocolate/cocoa syrup casing in there, the Virginia has absolutely no flavor and the perique is completely imbalanced, the second half bowl is unsmokable because is the perique overdose.

This is an Aromatic with Virginia, Perique and CHOCOLATE, the Virginia is there but without any true flavor or personality. The taste is sweet, chocolaty, creamy and extremely spicy.

There is so many high grade, true Va/per with true Virginia flavor, to try before this one, Flake Medallions, Escudo, Solani 633 etc.

As long as I can buy the above mentioned Va/Per blends, I really don?t see why I should smoke this "Anniversary Kake".

For me, this is typically a nonsense blend, in fact, this is not really a VAPER, and not really an aromatic; this is just an experimental "Kitchen made" house blend surrounded with an unbelievable hype.

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)

An interesting tobacco that comes in a sticky pressed block. A bit difficult to light unless dried out, but tasty nonetheless. Overall a very good creation by Russ. A word of caution, smoke slow it it will bite you. If I had any complaints about this tobacco, that would be the only one.

Plex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plex (39)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Ahhh! What can I say about this -- smooth, smooth and then even smoother!

"Mouth-watering" is very correct with richness and enjoyment blended in to the core.

Buy some to smoke now and some to put up for aging, but buy plenty as you will go through it quickly.

drmeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
drmeer (20)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Great price, great flavor, just great! Almost a cross between an aromatic and an english.

But... don't even try it until you dry it!!

NONSUMDIGNUS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NONSUMDIGNUS (11)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Firing this baby up was tasteless for the first several puffs... but then again it could've been the freezing temperatures outside when I smoked it. After warming up this blend became a symphony of rich flavors and experiences. The balance of va/per tends towards the perique side but the va's provide great accompaniment. Somewhere in there is a chocolate undertone to all this that only adds to the experience.

The caked tobacco looks and smells good enough to eat in the pouch and crumbles into the most easily ignited tobacco I've encountered; fears of constant relights are nil.

haredawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
haredawg (46)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I know, AK needs another review like George W needs another term, like Don King needs a weave or like Dr, Graybow needs an economy minded pipe. Still, it?s almost 2009 and it?s either add to the large pile of reviews or not do any at all, and I?m a nervous reviewer, can?t help, sometimes I?m in a crowded elevator and I start reviewing the String quartet version of Muskrat love ?The violas lend a masculine quality ?? Worse yet I?m giving AK four stars, so it?s not like a controversial review either.

I?ve ordered a lot of things from pipesandcigars dot com, pipes, accessories, the narcissistic but informative Alfred Dunhill Pipe book, tins of Germains Special Latakia flake, esoteric blends in bulk (ok, just stonehaven and Penzance) yet I had never ordered a Hearth and Home blend until last week. I bought this beautiful Peder Jeppesen egg with a sort of curved Candadianish shank and still had a buck or two burning a hole in my pocket, so I opened a second window and checked Tobacco Review dot com for four star blends. What the hell, I what the helled, Anniversary Kake it is.

A few years back as a novice pipe smoker I tried every aromatic that sounded like pastry, moved, thankfully to Virginians, found Hal O the Wynd, fell in love, and then moved to Balkans and English blends where I firmly sat with a smug and superior cast to my mug. I?ve really wanted to like a VAPER, and I do keep some Virginians around for when I need a change of pace or when wimmenfolk start asking why I?m burning Old Sweat Socks in my pipe.

I was ready to blame all of y?all in Anniversary Kake disappointed me the way so many other VAPERS have. It?s like the perique is heavier than the VA?s and sinks to the bottom of the bowl in most VAPERS and you go from this friendly, mildly complex blend of gregarious smoke into the fiery bowl of black pepper. Anniversary Kake isn?t much different in that regard, except the Virginians are more than a little complex, friendly to the point of buying the next round and the perique is so well blended that nothing creeps up on you and shrieks boo in mid bowl.

I went in with all the skepticism of an atheist at the Vatican and Anniversary Kake has made a believer out of me, I might even dedicate this excellent new pipe to AK exclusively. I?m ready to order a pound for cellaring and one for smoking, even though I can?t imagine that age could make this much better than it already is. The first bowl I just rubbed out a chunk, let it dry for maybe fifteen minutes (which felt too much like foreplay and I got impatient). It took maybe two more matches than usual to make it to the bottom of the bowl of clean white ash with very little dottle and nothing wet.

I had ordered a mere four ounces, silly dawg, it came in a single cake, figs and raisin scent in the pouch, sticky and sweet, rubs out nice and easy. I think it was Mark Twain who said I didn?t have time for a short note so I wrote a long letter. Apologies all around. I desperately need to get Larry?s Blend now too. I am very impressed by the folks at pipesandcigars and their hearth and home blends.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (76)

This is perhaps my favorite va/per to date. I don't find the perique overwhelming and the melange of flavors provided by the various virginias is superb. It's uncommon, in my experience, to find a blend this mild and user-friendly, with such good taste. Unoffensive in room note, mild in temperament, easy to smoke.....a real winner.

krumpelman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krumpelman (10)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Pepper on everything including my tobacco! If you love perique... This blend is for you. I thought I liked perique, but after this blend it was confirmed that I love the stuff. While I still feel this blend is evenly balanced, and perique is not overloaded, some others think so. Spicy, Sweet, and Smooth is what you can expect from this blend. Highly recommended.

1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
1 (8)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This Kake is superb in every way. Very pleasurable to smoke and was also very easy to light. The strength of the tobacco was just how I liked it very mellow and not at all overwhelming. The flavoring was very light, chocolaty and was suited well for this blend. I found the smoke thoroughly enjoyable and would highly recommend to anyone. Thank you Mr. Oullette for what I consider one of the best tobacco blends I have ever smoked.

Vrbas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Vrbas (7)

For some reason it isn't letting me review this w/o complaining about some HTML formatting junk... so i have to cut my review short.

Basically all you need to know is that there's no defining characteristic that makes this an outstanding tobacco... it's just darn good stuff and i can't tell you why. I ask myself the same thing every time i smoke it, "What do i like so much about this?" I'll never know, but I love this blend regardless. A reviewer before me said something to this extent and i'm backing him up. Oh and just try to get this blend to bite... literally try it. You'll probably pass out from a buzz before it bites your tongue.

There are times when i was sipping on it that I actually tasted chocolate cake. I dunno if that's just because i associate it's name "kake" w/ the actual food subconsciously... or that it actually tastes like it. Either way, look for it. It was quite pleasing once i found it.

Hemlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hemlock (57)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Tried the bulk and it is tasty. Dried it out for a half our or so. Smoked mostly rubbed out, and enjoy a toasty virginia flavour. Room note does not offend. It smokes well through the whole smoke and offers a lovely virginia flavour. Can't say that there is much of a distict perique flavour, as it is well worked into the overall flavour due to pressing. This is comparable to Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake or Best Brown Flake, in my opinion. Try it and you'll like it. If you favour a more distinct Perique seasoning, it may not do the trick. --

update 09-2008 Hmm.. last smokes were disappointing. a bit flat and seems to have some PEG in the bulk batch I'm smoking (can't dry it completely). This would be better as a flake, since this seems to only be a pressed ribbon cut, which doesn't have the rich building flavour of flake tobacco. I've come to realize flakes to be the best format for VA or VAPer blends.

2010-03 Over a year and a half later, same block getting close to the end. This is a good blend after all. Best dried for a little bit and smoked in a dedicated VaPer pipe.

Old Puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Puffer (42)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Unnoticeable

Another great product from Mr. Oullette. This stuff constantly surprises me with orneriness. It looks like a normal, ordinary, everyday shagged Va. It tastes like an ordinary well cared for Va. It has no distinctive room note or aroma. But, somehow, I can't leave it alone. Every time I finish a bowl, I think, "what was so great about this baccy?", and then can't seem to wait for the next filling.

After a day of drying on a cookie sheet, it packed very well, lit up normally, stayed lit extremely well, produced ample smoke and rich taste, smoked cool with no hint of a bite, smoked all the way to the bottom without a whimper, and left me feeling extremely satisfied. I even noticed after blowing out the bottom of the bowl, there was no sign of evil tobacco odor.

I wish that I could point out some extraordinary trait of this baccy, but I can't. It's just darn good stuff. I have seen complaints about an overabundance of Perique but I can't agree and feel that some folks are just over sensitive to it. In puffing, I only noticed a hint of Per, but it really did let me know it was there when blowing smoke through the nose.

Although I can't put AK above my beloved Count Pulaski, it certainly stands beside it at the top of my list. A solid 4 stars please.

Thanks again, Russ!

Fumatore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fumatore (48)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I really prefer English tobacco but like an occasional Virginia or other blend. I find this weed to be very good and if you puff slowly you will think you actually taste cake. Russ did a nice job on this one.

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (79)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

One of my most anticpated blends. I recently ordered some tobacco from my new supplier 4Noggons and am very happy with their service. Included in my package were a few samples which i really appreciate, one of which was a most generous amount of Anniversary Cake.

I rushed to prepare this for smoking even before unpacking the box by laying it out on a baking sheet for the rest of the day. The next morning i had my first bowl. Before i go into detail i absolutely need to bore you guys with my opinions of Virginia and Perique.

Virginia and Perique is a combination that is earth shattering when done right, but disastrous when not. It is possibly the most dangerous thing to try and mix because the wrong quantities of Perique really ruins a good bowl of Virginia. Virgina in its own right is something i smoke all the time, Perique in my opinion is only there as a spice to enhance, not to overpower. It is for that reason we call them VaPers not PerVaps. The most perfect example of this marriage shall remain Reiner LGF IMHO. I have a tin of Escudo that is aging as we speak, but until i have smoked it, LGF shall remain the benchmark.

This blend starts off wonderfully, delicious Virginia burst of creaminess with a delightful Perique tang that i find fantastic. This flavourful smoke continues until the last third of the bowl comes along and just sours the whole thing very quickly. I have smoked many bowls and have finished my sample but i noticed that i always find myself staring down the bowl during the last third to see if an insect has somehow managed to fly into the bowl and i am smoking it, the answer is a naughty little insect called Perique.

I really wish it could maintain its composure until the bowls end but alas.

This blend only deserves 2 stars, it is low on nicotine, the Perique/Virginia mixture needs to be adjusted and it really stunk up my pipes. That horrible last third of the bowl really left a ghost in my pipes and whatever i smoked after still tasted like it for at least one smoke.

I guess lots of Perique will suit many pipers, just not me.

Mo, South Africa

Elkabong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elkabong (11)
Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried this after talking to Mr. O at a pipe show, and was very pleased, initially. "Yum, yum, eatem up," I believe is how the saying runs? My third purchase was the problem -- all I can taste is bite. A bit of the peppery perique, but it burns hot and has little to know taste. Must be running out of the stuff. I would cellar, but my experience with doing so is iffy. I have smoked twenty year old virginia that everyone was raving about, but I believe the emperor was in his altogether.

Sorry, Pipesandcigar.com dudes, but I'll stick with the 965 and the 2010 with my own perique blended in.

Packer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Packer (56)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

While on my trip down the VAPER hiway I tried AK. I liked it enough from the first bowl to turn around and order a pound to cellar. Each time that I revisit this blend I find that I like it even more. From rub-out, pack, light, sip, to the end of the bowl, one word comes to mind...........pleasureable. It could certainly become a "go to" smoke. 'nuff said I give it

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

This blend is made for pipesandcigars.com by master blender Russ Ouellette. I had never had any of his blends before this one but everyone raves about his skill. After tasting this blend I believe them. I ordered 4 ounces of this about a month ago. I spoke with someone there before I got my order and he stated that when they make this, they make it in a 3 lb cake and then split it out from there. He also stated that they run the machinery that makes this blend pretty much 24 hours a day to keep up with demand. My sample was about an inch thick and looked like it had been ripped off of the larger block. It was extremely dark brown and smelled wonderful. The only way to get this blend smokable is to rip off a hunk, rub it out and then rip off another hunk. By the time that I got done my hands were a bit stained but I didn?t mind because it was fun rubbing it out. This is a hard blend to describe when you rub this out. It just kind of falls apart and packs into the pipe extremely easy. I went to do my false light and soon realized that this was all I needed to get this blend going. From there this blend never stopped surprising me. This bulk blend was better than a lot of tinned blends that I have tried so far. The description on their website states that there are many different Virginias in this blend, from Brown to Lemon and it has a healthy dose of Perique added in. Although I?m not experienced enough to know that difference in taste between a Brown or a Lemon Virginia, I can say that this blend is delicious. The flavors change throughout the smoke and the Perique really kicks in towards the end of the bowl. I thoroughly recommend this blend not only as a good, cheap bulk blend but possibly as an everyday smoke. I plan on grabbing a couple of pounds of this, separating it into smaller samples and cellaring it. I want to see how this blend changes over time.

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)
Mild Mild Medium Tolerable

First of all, my tobacco was not delivered as a Kake, it was totally broken up and closer to a ribbon. We are talking an 8 Oz. shipment here.

At this point I find this blend overrated. I have certainly had worse, but this is not what I expected or what was advertised. It is just mediocre at this point. I did cellar some for future use and will update if it gets better.

There are much better vapers to be had.

Indian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Indian (13)

Well I have to go against the grain again........Don't get me wrong I loved the blend and may at some time in the future get some more. The first time I bought this it came VERY compact and was a little stronger. This last time it was pretty loosley compacted and a little weaker (QA????) With that being said it was a great mix that didn't bite at all and was a little sweet and VERY smooth. The only reason I didn't give it 4 stars was due to the fact that it didn't have the tobaccy flavor that I like. It was too weak, but still an excellent tobacco.

Big Blue Jazzman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Blue Jazzman (32)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I've always been a fan of Sam Gawith's FFL and didn't think anyone could come up with a better Virginia. Russ O has done it with Anniversary Kake. A masterful blend with no equal. What can I say that hasn't already been said in the previous testimonials? Everyone loves this blend. If Virginia's are your pleasure, give this one a try, it's TOP NOTCH!

F. Prefect Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
F. Prefect (24)

Although I've only been smoking this blend for 7 or 8 months, I've noticed recently that I reach for it more and more often when I feel like having a Virginia/Perique blend. It's slowly worked it's way past several old standbys all the way to the top of the pyramid.

With it's slighty sweet chocolate flavor that is first noticed upon lighting, to the spicy overtones of Perique that become stronger as I reach mid-bowl, this is genuinely one of the very best VaPers to be had anywhere at any price.

Although you may find it to appear a bit moist when breaking up the cake, I tried a bowl without any drying and surprisingly it burned almost to the bottom of the bowl without a re-lite, and is not at all particular about packing, so in to the Mason Jars it went. I later dried a little but found I preferred the taste of the blend with the moisture content it had when I received it.

Anyone who enjoys the sweet spicy taste of a good Virginia/Perque needs to give this one a try. Chances are, you won't regret it. Four **

F. Prefect

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)

This one starts out as a very nice Virginia, producing creamy clouds of smoke with some chocolate-like notes. The Perique is barely there at first, slowing begining to show itself. By half-bowl, the Perique makes itself known in no uncertain terms.

If you are not a fan of Perique, stay away from AK. This is one spicy meatball.

A joy to look at, work with and smoke, this is a masterpiece from Russ Oullette. A must try for Va/Per lovers.

Flintlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flintlock (14)

I saw two reviewers describe this tabak as "Wow", well, I am adding a third WOW! This is a really fantastic smoke. In fact, the only thing I do not like about it is that it costs $10 more per pound than Butternut Burly, my favorite all day smoke. This is now my second choice for an all day smoke.

When received, it was very moist and needed drying out before smoking. When I fired it up, I wittnessed a pure joy in the flavor department. Maybe it is the perique or perhaps it it just that Russ uses high quality Virginia's or a combination of both. Then again, it could be the pressing into a cake that marries the Virginia's to the Perique that presses my button.

It is smooth enough to be inhaled which I do occasionally being an ex-cigarette smoker. I get no tongue-bite from it at all and it smokes dry all the way to the bottom of the bowl and does not become bitter. It also leaves a very nice ash.

This tabak should age very well and I am going to order a pound to put away for an extended period of time to see what happens.

I am continuing the tradition with a four star rating and would give it five if it were avaible.

painter66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
painter66 (2)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have smoked many bowls of this and find it a little inconsistent. Some bowls are sweeter than others. I must say this is one of the most satisfying blends I have experienced. It has an upfront tobacco taste with a complex sweetness hinting of chocolate and raisins. All of the sweetness is subdued and tame which keeps it from being too overpowering or considered an aromatic. If you're looking for a complex and sophisticated treat with rich tobacco taste, give this a try.

bigdummy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigdummy (6)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

A completely unique tobacco in my experience. The sweet stickiness of the Virginia base compliments the rather subdued Perique in this blend perfectly. I can't decide if this is topped/cased or not, although the flavor is unique enough that a flavoring of some kind would be indicated - I get none of the telltales of such while smoking - no excess heat or steam, no slop in the bowl at the end. Gorgeous clouds of thick, chewy white smoke - consistent taste to the end, where it becomes very strong indeed without turning ashy. Nice chunky little cakes that are a joy to work with and smell kinda like little brownies. This is truly the work of a master blender - Russ, you da man!

HoopleHead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HoopleHead (11)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

This is indeed a favorite... another of my 'order a pound at a time' dessert tobaccos. I smoke probably 10 bowls of tobacco a day in various pipes and easily 4 are AK. I like it just the way it arrives, without aging or drying or baking. It's got that wonderful cayanne peppery nip without a tongue bite, but has multiple layers of scent and taste. Great smoked very slowly so that the smoke just seeps into my mouth for a time, then leaks out to be inhaled through my nose. I know that many don't like the distinct tongue prickle of perique, but I do... much as I enjoy good cajun cuisine. This loads easily into my pipe and settles with a few thumps, then packs nicely in three standard steps. It's easy to crumble the cake or rub it to the right consistency. A treat well worth the price. I place this second choice after Solani 633, but smoke it much more often simply because of price.

I tend to enjoy it most when loaded into my various Bjarne pipes simply because they are so easy to draw and I don't have to worry about huffing and puffing to keep it lit.

From Utopia TX...havagoodun!

dtcb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dtcb (13)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant

just cracked my first tin of AK yesterday. I was a little concern intially with the overall stickiness of the tobacco and thought "Here we go...Barbary Coast all over again."

But, it actually did light well. Initial burn, tamped down, re-lit and off I went down to the bowl with only a relight when I set it down for a spell (I inhale so, I have to stop here and there).

I truly enjoyed AK intially and will update after I finish the tin.

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

My bulk came as a nicely pressed block of mostly brown VAs with some lemon and a few black pieces. It was sticky and moister than I normally prefer but packing and lighting were surpisingly easy and no relights were needed once the packing technique was mastered. Smoked cool without a hint a bite and minimum condensation. Initially, I thought there was a bit too much of a Perique and chocolate influence but in subsequent bowls it became more enjoyable. That's just a matter of personal taste. If you like VA/Periques, give this one a try.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I think OSR?s review sums up my opinions and thoughts about this blend very nicely. This is, indeed, a VAPER of a different sort. The chocolate is there and upfront but I did not find it overwhelming. It was gentle. The figginess was in the background for me. The flavor tempers the perique and tones down the overall flavor of what you ordinarily might expect and taste in a typical VAPER blend. In short, this is an anomalous VAPER ? very different and yet very good. Anniversary Kake, like Dorisco Mixture, is one of those blends you actually have to try for yourself to see what it?s all about.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this blend 9.6 out of 10.

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (51)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I was inspired to purchase this stuff based on other reviews, but it definitely needs more time to age, IMHO. Found it to be similar to McClelland bulk 5120 Va Ribbon. Too wet and too fruity. Into a Mason Jar it goes for a few mos. if not years. I like my Va's a little woodsier.

BEN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BEN (58)

WOW!! Russ Oullette has really outdone himself with this one! I recently acquired 2 very nice unsmoked clay "Tavern Pipes" from the Estate of the late Tom Dunn (Founder/Editor of The Pipe Smokers Ephemeris) and was trying to figure out what tobacco to smoke in them. Well, this is it!! The tobacco rubs out exremely well and I must say, smells wonderful right out of the tin! I confess I tried this in a briar and got little to no flavor, but in a clay, WOW!! The tobacco's just sing..all the way down the bowl, the wonderful marriage of the high quality Virginias with the Perique is fantastic! Not overpowering, and a completely relaxing smoke. I am definitely going to order more of this and put it away to age. Highly Recommended! I wish there was a five star rating, this would get it!!

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)

This is yet another one of Russ Oullette's masterpiece blends from the Hearth & Home series. The cake is packaged in in 1 ounce pressed blocks about 4 inches long and 3/4 inches wide. The appearence is a brown, yellow and black mixture that is rather sticky to the touch. Upon opening the bag, a sweet yet grassy aroma comes forth.

This blend would probably light a bit easier if dried out. However, once it is lit it generally burns slow but consistant. This blend provides a creamier smoke than most VA/PER blends I've tried in the past. The flavor is nothing short of wonderful. A sweet, creamy treat with just the right amount of perique that should not be missed. A wonderful smoke. Four stars and then some.

huffnpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
huffnpuff (44)

Wow,this is some nice tobacco. My sample came moist burned nice and cool ,breaking was good and loose leaving this sticky tomato paste smell on my fingers I thought I was smoking tomato soup or something like that .But it is very good and will smoke more for sure. I smoked this in my homemade claypipe .

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

A delicious concoction of virginias and perique, Anniversay Kake bears a family resemblance to Esoterica's Dunbar in the taste and flavour profile. Dunbar is a little more sweet, AK a little more tart, but both have comparable quality of basic and condimental tobacco.

The usual caveats on smoking with care apply. Greedily smoking bowl after bowl I managed to sear my tongue.

An excellent smoke and highly recommended without any reservations.

OPCguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OPCguy (46)

Anniversary Kake from Russ Oullette is yummy stuff. Mine came in a 1oz sticky yummy brick that was fun to rub out, stained my fingers nicely =). This is a perfect balance in the Vaper genre. The Virginia and the Perique marry so lovely in this delicious kake. It goes without saying I thoroughly enjoyed this smoke. I will gobble some more of this sticky kake up for sure. Everything I have put in a bowl from Russ has been top notch.

This blender definitely loves what he does and we reap the benefits thereof...thanks Russ! 3.5 stars...almost 4.

Meerschaum Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaum Man (85)

Russ has another great blend to his credit here. The darker colors of the tobaccos used announce what sweet pleasure is to be found when smoked slowly. Earthy high and low notes associated with Virginia leaf moderated by Perique are present from start to finish. My sample was well hydrated and presented only a minimum of trash commonly associated with use of the whole leaf. A perfect counterpoint to a good cup of hot beverage it makes a good all day smoke to those so inclined. Smooth and rich, it burns to a fine grey ash leaving a desire for more as an only regret. I must get some more of this for ageing, which it should do nicely. Don't let this one get away without trying some.

Meerschaum Man Smoking a circa ' 83 Ural Meerschaum