Golden Virginia and Mellow White Burley topped with New England and Jamaican Rums.

FlavoringRum
Packagingpouch

Visit company website

Strength
Taste
2.1
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

A very pleasant mix of gold Virginia and white burley topped with two different types of rum. I taste the Jamaican more. The Virginia is slightly noticeable, the burley a little more so. Smoked at a moderate rate, it does well. Only fast puffers will experience a hot smoke. If it has any drawbacks, it's the lack of strength, though I enjoy the smooth flavor, and the lack of harshness. Nice burn rate, too. Those who like very mild aromatics may rate this higher than I did, though I wouldn't mind smoking more of it.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

Pretty blah, but not bad as an aromatic.

As a precautionary note, this tobacco was about 5 years aged when I smoked it for this review. I have found that Virginias improve with age, and aromatics seem to become less bitey and goopey.

This blend is pretty on par with most bulk Altadis blends. Smells good in the pouch and air but does not not taste like much on your palette.

Having a wild imagination I looked at the name and though for sure I was smelling and tasting coconut. On some research in the blend I discovered that was totally contrived in my head and the coconut does not exist. Not the best aromatic I have smoked but certainly not the worst.

Pipe Used: Designer Berlin Sandblastes

Age When Smoked: Received in 2008

Purchased From: Free sample from online tobacconist

bob323 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bob323 (44)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Strange tobacco...If I just sit and smoke, this has a tendency to bite like a snake...If I'm smoking this while doing something else, it becomes smoother and there is no bite...Still, nothing to write home about...Flat tasting...Nothing special here...Will not buy again.

Pipe Used: various during testing

Age When Smoked: newly bought

Purchased From: Smoking.pipes.com

mackaydjames Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mackaydjames (10)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The first time I tried this blend, which I purchased on a whim, my palette must not have been on straight or... perhaps I needed to simply ween my psyche off all my existing favorite blends because I couldn't enjoy anything more than just... hot smoke. But the second... I was burst to life. It has always been funny to me how that thing goes. This blend does burn hot, it packs fairly easy (nice cut) and is very much mild but maturely flavored. It's not a BIG deal but... a blend I'd most likely indulge in once a week.

jshrader13 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jshrader13 (16)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

Some people hate Altadis blends, but I like aromatics so anytime I'm in my local tobacco shop, I pick up a different pouch. I like Rum flavored blends, like their Jamestown Tradition Rum Mixture, so Montego Bay was another Rum flavored aromatic I wanted to try. I was actually pretty disappointed with this one. It has a very subtle pouch aroma, almost weak and hard to detect. Smoking tends to be bland and rather lacking in any sort of complexity. The smoke is light, not very thick or overpowering, and I find it's difficult to keep lit, probably because of how wet it is. All in all, I'd say this is a very mild smoke, not overpowering, probably good for beginners, but those looking for a more flavorful aromatic won't be satisfied and will want to try something else.

feedsasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
feedsasquatch (19)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the second Altadis blend which I have tried, the first being Blue Note, which was awful. The tobacco was dry out of the pouch, and didn't have the chemical smell or taste that Blue Note wreaked of. One nice thing about it being dry out of the pouch is that it left zero residue in my pipe, just ashes.

I found this blend to be mild to a fault. My wife, who doesn't smoke, tried a whiff and said that it had no flavor.Interestingly enough, the nutty burley really breaks through later as an aftertaste, once you're done smoking.

It is definitely burley based, with a hint of rum, but I had to imagine the Virginia was there which it claims is present. I've been smoking it in a corn cob, packed very lightly. It needs to be smoked slowly, otherwise the little flavor which is present disappears with the heat and your tongue will get burned.

It isn't a bad blend, but I would only recommend it to those pipe smokers who like extremely mild (or flat) tobaccos. I'm new to pipe tobacco, and thought that I proffered it mild, but this blend proved me wrong...

=Edit= I decided to take away a star because I originally gave it two stars due to comparing it to Blue Note, which was Aweful. Honestly, I can't stand to smoke this stuff compared to other "Rum soaked" blends I've tried. It's bland, it's hot, and I'm tired of filling my pipe with it...

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (68)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Hi Gang, I received my free Altadis samples of different tobaccos, and I've been posting my reviews of the different brands. I really had my hopes up for this one. With the promises of Virginia and Mellow White Burley Tobaccos, and the added flavors of New England and Jamaican Rums, I was hoping for something great. On opening the packet, the smells were great, the tobacco wasn't dry, and seemed to burn well after 1 prelight. The flavor however wasn't even close to being rum flavored. It has a bit of tongue bite, if you puff too hard. It's quite moist upon coming directly from the bag, and I wonder if letting it sit out for a few hours before smoking it might help? At this moment I would give this 2 stars, and that's being generous.

6:01am. I had let a bowl of this go out, for about an hour. Came back and relit my Milano Briar. I still had about half a bowl to go. It's not exactly down right awful, but the bite gets a lot stronger towards the end of the bowl, and I wish the flavors and aromas coming from the bag, had matched the flavors upon lighting up...

BriarFire~ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarFire~ (24)
Extremely Mild Very Strong Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

Like a lot of folks,I recieved this in a free sample kit from Altadis a while back and forgot I had it untill recently.Smells good in the bag but is terrible in the briar,either I just cant stand aromatic weed anymore or this is is just bad tobac.0 stars

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Our pipe club received a few pouches of this stuff a month or so ago. I am not one to pass up free tobacco regardless of its composition. I was pleasantly surprised by this one, it was not as awful as I thought it might be. I am not a rub drinker but I can tell you that the rum taste is true to the drink, and as long as you smoke it slowly the burley stays mellow and kinda taste. I would never buy this on my own but if I got another free packet I would smoke it in my aromatic pipe, or a cob.

Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Like many of those before me, this review comes after smoking the freebie pouch included in a sampler pack by Altadis.

Ok, so the first thing anyone notices about a new tobacco is the aroma fresh out of the pouch. This one's a winner. One can definitely pick out the rum/vanilla/coconut(rum) toppings immediately. Letting the tobacco fall roll through my (clean) hands and fingers, it didn't seem to moist, and there wasn't much "residue" on my hands, so I was glad to see the great aromas weren't borne of overtopping.

As one goes from smelling and observing the pouched tobacco to actually packing it, things continue to look promising. The ribbon cut tobacco packed well enough...a bit like packing a less sticky Lane 1Q or other basic cavendish blend. It lit well.

Now...the actually smoking of this blend is where things can get a bit hairy. This sucker likes to burn hot and fast. If you're not an experienced aromatic smoker who knows how to REALLY pace yourself (even to the point of letting the pipe die out a cool periodically before a complete relight) and control the rate and temperature of the burn, your tongue WILL GET BIT! I had been smoking at a moderate pace for only 5-10 minutes when I cupped the bowl in my hand and noticed it was rocket-hot.

As with most topped tobaccos, once it starts burning that hot, the flavor disappears and leaves with something between acrid and flavorless.

Now, if one keeps the smoke cool and slow, there is certainly reward to be reaped here. In a thin, cool, smoke the flavor of the rum/coconut rum/vanilla toppings really come through to the palate. The flavor really is fairly unique and pleasant...sweet but not too sweet, not too simple, not overly complex. The only downside to the flavor is that near the end of the bowl, things go awry. Most of the flavor is gone, and one is left with a very bland, almost unpleasant taste.

Last, the room note is excellent. I've received many, many complements and not a single complaint. The room-note smells exactly like the pouch aroma...very "tropical" (in the non-fruity sense). Definitely a crowd-pleaser.

Overall, I'll give this blend 3 stars, but not unconditionally: If you can keep it cool and slow, probably use a smaller sized bowl with plenty of cake, you'll have an "almost-great" experience. Keep in mind that if you're a fast smoker or can't control the burn, the rating drops to a one (or worse).

headsouth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
headsouth (5)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This came in my free sampler of Altadis tobacco. It's very pleasant to smell, and the flavor is pretty good too. The pouch aroma is very nice; very fruity. I didn't taste any rum really, more of a fruity/nutty taste. It tastes like it smells.

Pretty good stuff for it to be a freebie!

ToboldHornblower Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ToboldHornblower (15)

I found this free sample I received to be a pleasant enough aromatic. I would recommend it for beginners looking for a change from the usual vanilla fare. It is OK but nothing special. I personally do not like rum cased tobaccos so I can't rate it higher but I think those that do would really enjoy it.

zionhead1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zionhead1 (26)

Coming from a natural smoking reviewer, I really like this. At first I was like, no way it is another one of the "57 ways to make Capt Black", but it is smooth, sweet, and family loves the smell (always a bonus) not real bad after taste and relaxing. does not leave you feeling you need some more.

Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

A nice and simple Cavendish blend. Nothing exciting, just mild, a little sweet, and a nice rum aroma.

Tom Bruce Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bruce (19)

I found a few things to like about this tobacco, but several not to like. On the plus side, it has a mild tobacco flavor, but I could taste nothing of the rums promised although the odor in the pouch indicated they were included. It burns steadily leaving a nice white ash, but no matter how gently I puffed, it always bit. And I did get a number of compliments on the aroma. But the turnoff came at the end of the bowl when the flavor changed to that of smoking wax candles. I smoked the entire pouch and that waxy taste appeared in at least half the pipefuls. No more for me, please.

bent-1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bent-1 (32)

I just finished a bowl of Altadis, Tobacco Galleria, Montego Bay, in a #17 Kaywoodie. Opening the pouch, the waft is warm & a bit intoxicating, no doubt inpart to the Jamaican & New England Rums ;). A nutty sweet scent. The cut is mostly ribbon, and the color of a red VA, though it's descried as a Golden VA & Mellow White Burley topped with Rum, which I don't have reason to doubt. Be careful to not over pack or over tamp as I have tendency to do with ribbon & shag cuts, causing the smoke to turn bitter & hot.

The initial light was good, exhibiting an even char with a tasty sweet, nutty burley taste. Mid way through I started to get a tongue nip, but careful tamping, a relight, & slowing the pace solved the issue. Throughout the entire bowl, the soft sweetness & nutty burley tastes would jockey for position, though neither overpowering the other. It was a cool, consistent smoke. At the end, I was expecting to see a 1/4" plug of wet goop, but surprised to find just a couple moist strips.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)

Montego Bay is a finely-cut brown ribbon that smells strongly of rum when first opened. It comes reasonably dry and isn't sticky to the touch, like many mass-market aromatics. In the pipe, it burns quite well, well enough in fact that it will bite except at a restrained puffing speed. It doesn't bite any worse than many Virginias I've smoked, though, so I bet you can smoke this without steaming your tongue. Just go slow. This is a very mild tobacco, both in terms of body and strength, so experienced pipers may be frustrated with it. It is lightly sweet and, by mid-bowl or so, also develops a slight bitterness. You will be able to smoke many bowls of this blend one after another without destroying your mouth, and it may be a good choice for the value-conscious all-day smoker. I find it pleasant, at least occasionally, and not terribly special as a smoke. There are many blends like this one, but Montego Bay at least gives you a good shot at a smoke that doesn't end with a sore tongue and a nasty lump of wet dottle in the pipe.

TikiPirate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TikiPirate (7)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

Very nice simple blend, the rum taste comes through, but is not overbearing. Very smooth, well worth a try.

Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

Those who enjoy light, rum flavored aromatics with bunches of Burley and a smattering of Virginia leaf may find this Altadis offering to be attractive. It starts out a lot sweeter than it ends. (Guess the Burley isn't top shelf because this one does get bitter.)

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

The pouch aroma is promising, the rum and tobacco scents blend nicely.

The tobacco packs and lights well. Smoke it slowly, or the Burley will get harsh in a hurry. The topping isn't as strong as you might think it would be from the pouch sniff test.

It isn't something that I am likely to want out-of-the-blue, but I wouldn't hesitate to smoke it again some day.