All black cavendish tobacco, extra mild.

ContentsBlack Cavendish
Packagingpouch

Visit company website

Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste
Extremely Mild (Flat), Very Mild, Mild
1.8
BriarFire~ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarFire~ (24)
Extremely Mild Extra Strong Very Mild Unnoticeable

Another tobacco in the free sample pack from Altadis I recieved a while back,I dont know what I was thinking at the time but I put this in a briar and fired 'er up.Smelled bland in the pouch and I didnt notice any real flavor while smoking,but after smoking a bowl of this crapendish I noticed a terrible smell in the briar.After 3 salt/alcohol treatments the 'flavor' which was absent during the initial smoke now wants to chime in on anything else smoked. A most horrible vanilla scent.Oh- well,live and learn,(if you live)

Wriggles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wriggles (44)
Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

Just finally got around to smoking this selection from the Sampler. Very, very mild. No tobacco flavor of any sort, just vanilla. No need to even light up. Just draw the sweet air from the unlit pipe.

Not recommended at all.

headsouth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
headsouth (5)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

The only thing good I can really say about this blend is that people love the smell. I couldn't really taste much of anything, really. You can puff as hard and fast as you can and you still won't get tongue bite.

If you want a crowd pleaser, this is a good one to fire up, but otherwise, I'd steer clear of it.

wintermute Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wintermute (35)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I first tried this about 8 or 9 years ago in a 6 pack sampler. I never found it again until recently. Back then it was just called Midnight. Anyway, the tobacco smells like your typical Black Cavendish, but with something a little different. It is a little on the moist side, but a little drying takes care of that. The smoke aroma reminds me of an old book shop or a forgotten library. My wife had said the same thing back then and came up with the exact remark again this time. I remained silent to hear her take to see if it had changed and the remarks from both of us were the same all these years later. There is an earthiness and depth that is not found in your typical Cavendish. It is sweet in a natural sort of way and not covered in vanilla or cherry or something like that. The nicotine is a little low, but you will enjoy being inside rather than outside to have a smoke. Towards the bottom of the bowl, the taste does tend to get a bit stout, as does the aroma. However, it is still pretty good and the wife only took note and did object entirely. If you have been turned off by over cased Black Cavendish tobaccos that bite like anything and goop up your pipe, you really need to try this one. Plus, the room aroma will please you and those around you.

JakeJones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JakeJones (4)
Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

First time pipe smoker, this was a recommendation from my local cigar shop. I wanted to determine if I liked Cavendish vs Latakia and such.

The smell is deep and sweet, molasses like. It smells pretty good, but it was quite moist as well. I was Surprised how mild it was after how deep it smelled. it was like smoking nothing at all, what's the point?

I love dark, deep, smooth cigars, but I could hardly notice any real flavor at all. Just enough to know that I would like to find a Cavendish of much higher quality, in that i guess it served it's purpose. This tobacco needs to be dried out, as it took a lot of matches to keep it lit, which takes the relaxation out of it constantly relighting and just trying to keep it going.

I may blend this with the Altadis Fox and Hound I got from the local store as well, just to see how that goes.

ho dirty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ho dirty (10)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

good news, no bite. bad news no taste at all. it burns well and cool. liking other altadis blends, i gave it a try, but after three or four bowls of tasteless smoke, it was promptly thrown away.

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (59)
Mild to Medium Extra Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

A good way to use this stuff is to put it in a tall jar & let some good cigars soak up the tasty rum essence. Otherwise, it's unsmokeable sweepings off the tobacco barn floor...

smoke dog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoke dog (10)

I got this stuff as a sample with my solani silver flake, which I loved.. and my Dunhill early morning pipe.. which sucked horribly. The midnight smelled like maple syrup and vanilla, which was awesome. It was a bit moist, so letting it sit out is recommended. Its very mild to start. The smoke is very pleasant and smells wonderful. Not a touch of tongue bite, which is surprising being how fragrant and moist this stuff is. I like it very much and smoke it every morning with my coffee.. give it a try..

SmoothSmokin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmoothSmokin (7)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

Its not bad; its not great either. At first i thought this blend was definitely worth adding in as something to always have on hand. As i smoked more bowls i realized there was nothing too special about it. The flavoring was quite bland. There was no trace of topping but very little flavor from the leaf as well; i found myself wondering what the point of even smoking it was.

This blend was simply too bland and simple for me. I'm not a black Cavendish fanatic but i definitely thought this blend was lacking in character. It's worth a shot but i wouldn't recommend it over casual conversation.

Tinkerman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tinkerman (1)

As a big fan of black cavendish, I had sought out a reasonably priced sample. At just under $9, this seemed worth a try. The smell when I first opened the pouch was pleasant. Holding it closer, I could smell the richness of the fremented leaf. I gave it the moisture test, and found that it stuck to itself far too much when I made a small ball of it in my fist. Lighting a bowl full at this point would be difficult. I spread some out on a papertowel to dry. (Since I live in Arizona and our average humidity is about 8%, it wouldn't take long.) I came back to check after about an hour and found that it was almost perfect. I chose one of my meerschaums, and filled the bowl in 3 pinches.

It still took a whole match to light. As I puffed away getting it going, there was no taste at all. I inhaled a puff just to see if there was any taste there, but there wasn't. I could tell I had inhaled smoke (sacrelidge to some, a norm for others) but upon blowing it out, there was an almost imperceptible flavor of nuttiness. On occasion I had to remove the stem of the pipe and blow out the condensation. Perhaps I could have let the tobacco dry a bit more. I hate a gurgling pipe, and blow out my stems quite often while smoking. Since I do most of my smoking outdoors, it's not an issue.

I noticed almost no tongue bite once the bowl was burning well (no surprise there). I smoked slowly and deliberately, enjoying the mellow taste and aroma. Halfway through, I stopped for a full 5 minutes, letting the bowl cool down and waiting for the fire to go out. As an outdoorsman, I frequently get engaged in some side activity and have to put down my pipe for a minute or two. I find that some tobaccos get worse when they sit, and some do not.

After tamping, the bowl lit right up with about half a match to spare. The taste had not changed. I smoked for a while longer, and then did the inhalation test again.

I was pleasantly surprised. The nuttiness had grown stronger and sweeter. The flavor was excellent. It seemed that the closer I got to the bottom of the bowl, the richer the flavor. If they could steep this brand in it's own juices for just a bit longer during the fermentation, I believe it could be the best single cavendish around.

The taste will be dissapointing to some connoissuers, but for beginners, it will be a pleasant surprise.

Nurse_Maduro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nurse_Maduro (27)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

Ok, so after having mixed luck with 3 different Altadis pouches sent to me as a sampler, I happily happened upon a local B&M (I didn't know it was even there!) that, unfortunately, carries only Borkum Riff and a whole row of Altadis (and for only $4 a pouch - in NY!! What is this stuf in PA, 50 cents??). I really liked Blue Note, so at that price, it's easy to grab a couple of new pouches to sample.

Being a black cavendish fan, Midnight Smoke is an easy pick (the fact that the pouch looks very similar to Blue Note probably influenced my decision as well). Once in the car, I can't resist opening it and taking a whiff (I didn't have a pipe with me), and the smell coming from the bag is IN-CRED-I-BLE...like a black cherry and vanilla brandy. I think I actually may have started salivating a bit.

Once home, I go to fill a bowl, and notice this stuff is so moist, it's amost wet...and even a bit sticky. I leave some out to dry for an hour or so, then fill my pipe with it and attempt to light. And attempt again. And again.

This tobacco doesn't want to start, and maybe I should have let it guide me because, once it's stoked, a horrible perfume flavor begins coating my tongue. I'm not talking about the normal propylene glycol chemical flavor, I mean full-on perfume...like I just licked a sample card from a women's magazine. Nasty. And then, there's the gurgle. Now, I'm fairly new to pipes, having only smoked about 100-120 bowls of some 40-ish different blends, but I've never experienced gurgle like this. Not only that, but nothing will abate it..not packing, not changing my draw, nothing. I even smoked the same bowl three times over a 24 hour period (figuring the heat would let the tobacco dry out a bit) and it still gurgled just as badly the third time as it did the first.

And I don't think I even need to go into the residue, do I?

So sad. Why do all the great smelling aromatics smoke the worst? I'll let this dry out until next winter, and then I'll give it another go, first on its own, and then mixed with some burley. I really want to like it, but fresh out of the pouch it's completely unsmokable.

Kissphantom05 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kissphantom05 (20)
Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

I can smoke this aromatic with little problems, but it tends to bite a little. The finish is not that great, and the moisture content is pretty high. If you smoke this make sure you let it dry out. If I am in a fix and in the mood for an aromatic, I will smoke this, but the chances of me buying more are not too high. Not a really terrible blend when smokes slowly, but nothing too special either.

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (68)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I just got my sampler pack last night, and I've only smoked 1 bowl of this stuff. My question is, is it tobacco? Very mild smoke. Not much of any kind of flavor, but when I opened the bag, it was very noticeable, though not once I lit the bowl. Room note is just OK. I probably wouldn't buy this again, but I would definitely recommend this one to someone just starting out. Very very mild, with no detectable bite...

Update, Saturday 5:01am. Well I finished a bowl of this, and I still wonder where the tobacco went? I noted that when I cleaned out the last bit of dottle, it was rather wet looking, so I would imagine that I will have to clean out my pipe after every single smoke of this stuff. Still overall, for a free sample it wasn't that bad. I have smoked worse. Borkum Riff Jamaican Rum comes to mind.

Sunday 7:06am. I decided to try another bowl of this stuff. I can't make up my mind about this tobacco. I think one must either like it or hate it. I happen to like many cavendish blends, so I'm gonna give this one a few more trys, and then I'll come back and give it my final verdict.

Saturday 12/29/07 I have discovered a good use for this Midnight Smoke. Use it as a mix for tobacco's with a bad bite, or a bad taste. I had some older Borkum Riff which had been laying around for quite some time, so I decided to mix up two parts of Borkum Riff to one part Midnight Smoke. Turned some rather unsmokable crapola into something not too bad.

Extremely Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

Very simply...there's nothing too terribly wrong with this smoke to make it 'bad,' per se, but then, there's not much right with it to make it 'good' either.

On the plus side, it has a decent room not, non-offensive (though not as attractive as other vanilla aromatics). Also, you could puff on this like there's no tomorrow without fear of tongue bite.

On the down side, there is NO complexity to this very mild smoke. I find the early bowl, mid bowl, late bowl, and all the little steps in between to taste exactly the same.

Perhaps the name is fitting...if you're not looking for a strong smoke to put you bed (ala night cap) and are more interested in a very light, mild, "background" taste to ease off to bed (or perhaps into a slow-paced weekend afternoon) this couldn't be too bad.

Personally, there are many better choices out there to fit my tastes. Still, its "not bad" enough to be worth a small sample.

ToboldHornblower Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ToboldHornblower (15)
Extremely Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

A bland smoke. On the plus side, I don't think it would bite you if you put your tongue in the bowl. After 3 bowls I used the remainder as a blend to cut the edge of some tobaccos I have that are tasty too bitey. It worked well for that purpose.

bgone66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bgone66 (1)
Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I am very new to pipe smoking and I took it up initially to help get over my cigarette addiction. This was the first tobacco I bought and needless to say I continued to smoke cigs because this had no nicotine to help me. After I found this site, I realized I needed something stronger and it was Nightcap that did the trick. But...This tobacco fortunately did not discourage me from continuing to smoke a pipe even though it could have. I found the flavor to be mild and satisfying at the time but I was waking up the next day with a very sore throat and this was almost the deal breaker for me as a pipe smoker. Fortunately, I went on to try other tobaccos and they did not have the same effect on me and I quickly realized there are many more enjoyable tobacs on the market. Even though it might have just been an allergic reaction to the casing on this stuff, I cannot give it a very good review because of the number of better blends that I have found since. But also because it was my first blend and obviously didn't keep me from pursuing this wonderful past time, I don't want to be too hard on it either.

Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

I can see where this might be good as a blender. It lacks the character to be able to stand alone. Mild, sweet, sticky, and biteless, it is yet another in a crowded field of cased black Cavendish blends.

rsvp2rip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rsvp2rip (27)
Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Bought this under the Tinderbox brand Midnight. VERY moist and sticky out of the bag. I made the mistake of buying 8oz. The only saving grace for this blend I found was to mix 50/50 with J.F. Germain 1820 Mixture and found it to be an exceptional morning type smoke. Added just the right sweetness to that english. Had a great room note that smelled exactly like waffles. Wouldn't by it for that alone though, but I do find I smoke this blend of blends quite often. 4 out of 10

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Extremely Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

Basically, Midnight Smoke by Altadis is vanilla black cavendish much like Lane's BCA except much milder. This tobacco strikes me as being something to smoke when your only concern is room note. There is no tobacco flavor to be found in this blend. It's mildly sweet without a bite. If you're looking for a crowd pleaser, pick up a pouch of this. However, it's not likely going to do much for you after the party is over.

Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Whether one likes or dislikes a tobacco, I think a fair review includes some information, at least.

So, here goes:

1. This might be the most tasteless tobacco I've ever smoked.

2. It has had the bite totally removed by some serious stewing.

3. It is easy to pack but is quite moist and will not dry out.

4. If you are alergic to nicotine, then this is your manna from heaven.

5. If you require nicotine, Midnight Smoke will cause severe withdrawl symptoms.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

They say this is extra mild.... That's a bit of an ubderstatement. This black cav would benefit from a bit of topping. Doesn't even matter what the topping is, just give it something. (And I'm not an aromatic fan.)

It smokes very cool, and won't bite.