All black cavendish tobacco, extra mild.

Blended ByCarl McAllister
ContentsBlack Cavendish
Packaging1.5 ounce pouch
Strength
Extremely Mild
Mild to Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste
Extremely Mild (Flat)
2.0
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Whether one likes or dislikes a tobacco, I think a fair review includes some information, at least.

So, here goes:

1. This might be the most tasteless tobacco I've ever smoked.

2. It has had the bite totally removed by some serious stewing.

3. It is easy to pack but is quite moist and will not dry out.

4. If you are alergic to nicotine, then this is your manna from heaven.

5. If you require nicotine, Midnight Smoke will cause severe withdrawl symptoms.

wintermute Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wintermute (59)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I first tried this about 8 or 9 years ago in a 6 pack sampler. I never found it again until recently. Back then it was just called Midnight. Anyway, the tobacco smells like your typical Black Cavendish, but with something a little different. It is a little on the moist side, but a little drying takes care of that. The smoke aroma reminds me of an old book shop or a forgotten library. My wife had said the same thing back then and came up with the exact remark again this time. I remained silent to hear her take to see if it had changed and the remarks from both of us were the same all these years later. There is an earthiness and depth that is not found in your typical Cavendish. It is sweet in a natural sort of way and not covered in vanilla or cherry or something like that. The nicotine is a little low, but you will enjoy being inside rather than outside to have a smoke. Towards the bottom of the bowl, the taste does tend to get a bit stout, as does the aroma. However, it is still pretty good and the wife only took note and did object entirely. If you have been turned off by over cased Black Cavendish tobaccos that bite like anything and goop up your pipe, you really need to try this one. Plus, the room aroma will please you and those around you.

Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Sutliff Tobacco Co. - Tobacco Galleria - Midnight Smoke.

I've just returned from a holiday and this was one of the blends I took along with me.

In keeping with the name the colour's jet black. The smell is artificial and it's way too moist. So, it needs a decent airing.

The smoke? There's nothing serious here! We have a very sweet, smooth, cool burning, vanilla aromatic. The tobacco flavour's the typically clumsy black Cav' one and it manufactures big plumes of smoke. There's hardly any nicotine to be had from it and although it fills the room with smoke it smells nice!

This is one of those blends which brings out the kid in me. Like a bowl of jelly: although I'm all grown up, sometimes the 'fun' of something's appealing! That said, though, I don't think it warrants any higher than two stars:

Somewhat recommended.

Pipe Used: Various

Purchased From: Smokingpipes.com (bulk)

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (180)

Black short ribbon cut tobacco. Comes a little moist, tho I suspect that is mostly PG rather than water.

Bag note is a vanilla/caramel/maple generic sort of aroma. There is something else in there I think, perhaps anisette. Additionally the smoke itself has some citrus notes, which might be from the tobacco itself.

Despite the apparent moisture this is a one match tobacco. It is mild and sweet with the pouch notes staying true for most of the bowl, until the last third when some bitterness comes to the front.

A very subdued tobacco suitable as a change of pace or something to please the missus, or at least less likely to draw complaints. I can't rate in higher than 2 because of the bitterness however.

Edit. This baccy actually fogged up when jarred. Not a little bit, but like a teenager's Holden HR at the drive-in. This was a new one to me.

Pipe Used: Lepeltier

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (88)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Pleasant

There is something to be said about this style of tobacco. It really is very plain. Some companies would give this type of blend a ridiculous name, put it in an elegantly gilded tin, and charge three times the price of this blend. Even in this configuration people would buy it and smoke it.

In the pouch this tobacco is dark as the pits of hell. Much like Lanes BCA, it is very goopy, has a slight chemical smell, and will leave a ghost in anything that burns it. It had very little flavor, and I had a heck of a time keeping it lit, even though I attempted (in vain) to dry it out.

It is certainly not all bad. To my surprise this blend had no tongue bite at all, which is rare for this type of ameliorate steeped tobacco. Also, the room note was very nice.

ho dirty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ho dirty (10)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

good news, no bite. bad news no taste at all. it burns well and cool. liking other altadis blends, i gave it a try, but after three or four bowls of tasteless smoke, it was promptly thrown away.

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (60)
Mild to Medium Extra Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

A good way to use this stuff is to put it in a tall jar & let some good cigars soak up the tasty rum essence. Otherwise, it's unsmokeable sweepings off the tobacco barn floor...

Kissphantom05 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kissphantom05 (20)
Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

I can smoke this aromatic with little problems, but it tends to bite a little. The finish is not that great, and the moisture content is pretty high. If you smoke this make sure you let it dry out. If I am in a fix and in the mood for an aromatic, I will smoke this, but the chances of me buying more are not too high. Not a really terrible blend when smokes slowly, but nothing too special either.

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (86)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I just got my sampler pack last night, and I've only smoked 1 bowl of this stuff. My question is, is it tobacco? Very mild smoke. Not much of any kind of flavor, but when I opened the bag, it was very noticeable, though not once I lit the bowl. Room note is just OK. I probably wouldn't buy this again, but I would definitely recommend this one to someone just starting out. Very very mild, with no detectable bite...

Update, Saturday 5:01am. Well I finished a bowl of this, and I still wonder where the tobacco went? I noted that when I cleaned out the last bit of dottle, it was rather wet looking, so I would imagine that I will have to clean out my pipe after every single smoke of this stuff. Still overall, for a free sample it wasn't that bad. I have smoked worse. Borkum Riff Jamaican Rum comes to mind.

Sunday 7:06am. I decided to try another bowl of this stuff. I can't make up my mind about this tobacco. I think one must either like it or hate it. I happen to like many cavendish blends, so I'm gonna give this one a few more trys, and then I'll come back and give it my final verdict.

Saturday 12/29/07 I have discovered a good use for this Midnight Smoke. Use it as a mix for tobacco's with a bad bite, or a bad taste. I had some older Borkum Riff which had been laying around for quite some time, so I decided to mix up two parts of Borkum Riff to one part Midnight Smoke. Turned some rather unsmokable crapola into something not too bad.

Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

I can see where this might be good as a blender. It lacks the character to be able to stand alone. Mild, sweet, sticky, and biteless, it is yet another in a crowded field of cased black Cavendish blends.

rsvp2rip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rsvp2rip (27)
Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Bought this under the Tinderbox brand Midnight. VERY moist and sticky out of the bag. I made the mistake of buying 8oz. The only saving grace for this blend I found was to mix 50/50 with J.F. Germain 1820 Mixture and found it to be an exceptional morning type smoke. Added just the right sweetness to that english. Had a great room note that smelled exactly like waffles. Wouldn't by it for that alone though, but I do find I smoke this blend of blends quite often. 4 out of 10