Wessex Burley Broadcut is an old fashioned classic recipe combining plug cut burley with mild black aromatic cavendish processed Virginias.

BrandWessex
Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
Packaging 50 grams pouch, 7 ounce tin
Strength
Mild, Medium
Taste

littlefield Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
littlefield (16)

This was my first burley and also one of my first pipe tobaccos. I had no inclination about rubbing or airing out tobaccos. So the first time I dumped this blend in my pipe and the backy wouldn't take a light, thought it would be easier to light a campfire in the rain. After a quick online search and rubbing and airing out the Wessex BB it smoked fine and tastes wonderful. This is a satisfying smoke, don't really crave another smoke after a bowl of this. It's sweet, has mouthfeel, something substantial and filling like desert after dinner. It's the burley, it's the Cavendish, it's the molasses or brown sugar casing, it's sweet satisfaction, and it's a blend that definitely stays on hand and in the "rotation" even though my rotation by no means can be remotely considered a smoking regimen that follows the moon's cycles or weekly routines.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

Wessex Burly Broadcut… Came in a coffee-can type tin.. and at only about fifteen bucks for 7 ounces of a Wessex tobacco, I could not resist at least giving this stuff a try. As it turned out, this blend is mfg. here in the U.S. after all. By the way this is not a complaint, but it did surprise me some.

The tin aroma is of sweet tobacco, which has been coarsely chopped from thicker flakes into random shapes. For my taste I found further rubbing-out of these pieces unnecessary, not to mention these larger pieces did give a nice cool and long lasting burn.

Your basic mild American style, faintly aromatic mixture, that I found provides adequate nicotine, no bite or goop and only a very slight VA tongue tingle. For my taste, I would have preferred the use of a unflavored VA. Cavendish in this blend, but that is only me knit-picking, because overall I have been enjoying it, especially when a low demand yet satisfying smoke is called for. This profile is not what I expected from Wessex, more like a Lane product, but like I said, IMHO a decent smoke.

PS.. I did allow some airing time, as I do with most freshly opened tins.

Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I have noted that several reviewers here are comparing this blend to Edgeworth, particularly the Ready Rubbed version. Well, I will never agree that Edgeworth Ready Rubbed was anything other than a cube cut and certainly provided a much different smoking presentation & flavor than Edgeworth Sliced - which does contain a bit of Virginia leaf while the Ready Rubbed version does not. Having said that, Wessex Burley Broadcut is nowhere close to being as tasty (IMO, of course) as either Edgeworth version.

Burley does not vary much in flavor over the course of a smoke, except the cheaper stuff does get bitter near the bottom. This one did not, and provided a pleasant enough experience but not one that warrants another purchase. Perhaps all the additional cavendish & Virginia dummied down the natural Burley nuttiness.

If an unobtrusive mild smoke is your preference, then Wessex Burley Broadcut may be worth a try.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

An odd name for a blend considering there's more than the nutty, molasses sweet, burley here. The Virginia is grassy with a few earth notes in the background. The black cavendish is vanilla sweet in a support role. The nic-hit is just past the mild level. Burns a little warm, and fast puffing can potentially cause a little bite. Burns a little slow and wet, and the thickness of broken flake forces a fair number of relights. Leaves a bit of moisture in the bowl. Has a consistent flavor as well as a pleasant after taste and room note. Can be an all day smoke.

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (76)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Feb 19 2009 - I am going to give this another try, especially since Edgeworth Ready Rub is now gone. I have sought an alternative, and this one comes close (IMHO). I know nothing will make a perfect match, especially given the different cutting styles, addition of Virginia leaf, and casing in this blend (I'm guessing molasses). I happen to like Wessex's presentation better than Ready Rub (there is less dust size particles of tobacco).

Since my first review, I pulled this baccy out again and have found the combination of time and drying improved it. In a sentance, the bite was gone and it seemed scaled up on nutty/ sweetness. I plan on buying more of this and laying it down. Lord knows how long it too will last given the soft tyranny of government taxes. I am up grading this to four stars.

Old Review:

The taste and flavor of this blend remind me of Edgeworth.

At the beginning, this blend gives a little bite down the sides of the tongue, but settles down to a nice nutty taste. Even given its rough texture there was a tendency to burn hot, at least in the Barling pot I was smoking it in - one has to draw thoughtfully to advoid this. This tobacco stayed lit and all-in-all was a good favorful (nutty) smoke. I've downgraded it a little because of the heat and initial bite, all products of the sugar which has been added to the Burley I am sure. To be fair I should try this tobacco in some other size pipes, especially a Canadian, and rub it out even more. This tobacco reminds me of fall, hunting and the crisp temperatures before winter. A great fireside friend and one I will buy more of.

grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (84)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I haven't yet had the Wessex Burley Flake, that's coming up. By all accounts it recreates the Edgeworth Slices of old. This piqued my curiosity: is Burley Broadcut an attempt at simulating Edgeworth Ready Rubbed?

Upon opening the pouch I would have described the aroma as sweetly boozy, not at all like "E.R.R." But, then again, I can't recall ever opening a fresh pouch of Edgeworth! The cut is different for the Wessex, as well. Some bits of leaf, some ribbon, and some huge chunks of pressed tobacco that looked for all the world like pet kibble.

Lighting brought forth a moderately familiar taste: House of Windsor burley. You may think I'm reaching too far but the label on the pouch indicates that this product is made in the U.S....I'll leave it to others to confirm or deny. As well as the straight burley flavour there came in waves the delectable taste of, yes, Edgeworth. I found the added flavour would come and go, and over all, the smoke didn't seem to possess quite the earthy quality of our old friend.

If you like Edgeworth, you'll like this. If you don't like Edgeworth, this won't appeal. I recommend it as a good smoking, good quality blend for burley lovers, or those looking to try a burley tobacco.

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (97)

Here is a perfectly pleasant, old fashioned, mild aromatic. Wessex Burley Broadcut in very much in the Three Star Blue or Heine's Blend tradition of a light colored, plug and ribbon cut, predominately burley aromatic.

Mild is the word for it, so far as I am concerned. Not gutless or insipid, though; just cool, very lightly sweet, easy going smoking pleasure. I usually will go for something with a few more teeth, if you will, but, if you desire an aromatic with actual tobacco complexity and not just a liberal dousing of goopy, synthetic flavor sauce, Wessex Burley Broadcut will fit the bill.

People will love the aroma, too. I received continuous comments and compliments on account of smoking this. It's a nice, old fashioned aromatic composition of anise and vanilla and various other light, almost powdery components. When it came in the mail, the wife couldn't help but say how delightful the smell was even before I opened the package.

The Virginias and different kinds of burley used did add just a bit more complexity than what's common. Sometimes you will get a note of bracing bitterness. Not really all that off-putting, as nothing about Wessex Burley Broadcut could really be off-putting. Just another interesting note.

Pipe Used: Various briars, meerschaums, and cobs.