Wessex Burley Broadcut is an old fashioned classic recipe combining plug cut Burley with mild black aromatic Cavendish processed Virginias. 1.5 oz pouch.

BrandWessex
3.1
TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

Wessex Burly Broadcut… Came in a coffee-can type tin.. and at only about fifteen bucks for 7 ounces of a Wessex tobacco, I could not resist at least giving this stuff a try. As it turned out, this blend is mfg. here in the U.S. after all. By the way this is not a complaint, but it did surprise me some.

The tin aroma is of sweet tobacco, which has been coarsely chopped from thicker flakes into random shapes. For my taste I found further rubbing-out of these pieces unnecessary, not to mention these larger pieces did give a nice cool and long lasting burn.

Your basic mild American style, faintly aromatic mixture, that I found provides adequate nicotine, no bite or goop and only a very slight VA tongue tingle. For my taste, I would have preferred the use of a unflavored VA. Cavendish in this blend, but that is only me knit-picking, because overall I have been enjoying it, especially when a low demand yet satisfying smoke is called for. This profile is not what I expected from Wessex, more like a Lane product, but like I said, IMHO a decent smoke.

PS.. I did allow some airing time, as I do with most freshly opened tins.

cof_3pc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cof_3pc (2)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I had this one recommended to me by my local tobacconist after a couple months straight of spicy, smokey English blends, and bold flakes, such as Irish flake. I wanted a change of pace, so he recommended this one and I was pleasantly surprised.

The flavor of this tobacco, to me, is a very earthy, organic nutty flavor, with a sweet undertone. While being both tasty and full it manages to smoke smooth and cool as well with no harshness. The lovely scent you get when you first pop open the can seems familiar and sweet, and that sensation is very much translated into the smoke. It tends to taste like it smells, and I like that in a tobacco.

I think this tobacco is a little less readily available, as made obvious by the very few number of reviews it has received, but if you're online making a purchase, I know pipesandcigars.com carries it, so I highly recommend giving it a try.

It may need a little drying, it's rather moist out of the can. I pull the big broad cut pieces apart and let it dry for an hour or so. It burns cool and slow, so prepare for a long pleasant smoke!

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Its amazing how many burly blends there are out there. What is even more amazing is how they all can have the same basic composition, but all taste so very different. This one has a very basic composition of burly/black Cavendish/Virgina, with in my opinion a disproportionate amount of Cavendish. The burly really gets to little attention. I can taste the burly, but only faintly, it has a fairly cool taste but none of the nuttiness that I crave when I want a good burly mixture. I also think that the Virgina tobaccos could be toned down a bit. With that being said this is a very tasty blend, it has fair deal of vanilla and sweetness that play well to the slight earthiness of the burly. It has a fairly tolerable room note and does not gum up your pipe. I will say that my pouch came a bit wetter that I like, but dried out nicely. The tin note was of sweet vanilla, and also had some other typical burly sells too.

So why not 4 stars, I feel that there are a few better burly blends out there, some are better like Boswells burly, and many are worse.

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (66)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Feb 19 2009 - I am going to give this another try, especially since Edgeworth Ready Rub is now gone. I have sought an alternative, and this one comes close (IMHO). I know nothing will make a perfect match, especially given the different cutting styles, addition of Virginia leaf, and casing in this blend (I'm guessing molasses). I happen to like Wessex's presentation better than Ready Rub (there is less dust size particles of tobacco).

Since my first review, I pulled this baccy out again and have found the combination of time and drying improved it. In a sentance, the bite was gone and it seemed scaled up on nutty/ sweetness. I plan on buying more of this and laying it down. Lord knows how long it too will last given the soft tyranny of government taxes. I am up grading this to four stars.

Old Review:

The taste and flavor of this blend remind me of Edgeworth.

At the beginning, this blend gives a little bite down the sides of the tongue, but settles down to a nice nutty taste. Even given its rough texture there was a tendency to burn hot, at least in the Barling pot I was smoking it in - one has to draw thoughtfully to advoid this. This tobacco stayed lit and all-in-all was a good favorful (nutty) smoke. I've downgraded it a little because of the heat and initial bite, all products of the sugar which has been added to the Burley I am sure. To be fair I should try this tobacco in some other size pipes, especially a Canadian, and rub it out even more. This tobacco reminds me of fall, hunting and the crisp temperatures before winter. A great fireside friend and one I will buy more of.

Mild Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I'm not usually an aromatic smoker, but this was sent to be by a kind friend so I wanted to give it a shot. It smelled great in the pouch, as most aromatics do, but failed me on the palate. This was a basic burley blend in which the VAs were lost and the smoke was overpowered by the strong cherry/vanilla-ish topping. Good volume of smoke and a little bit of tongue bite. This was just too candy-like for me to enjoy regularly...but I will break it out if I want something sweet.

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)

Not a great burley blend by any means. The Cavendish is the most predominant flavor with the Virginia adding a mild bite now and then. Vanilla flavoring is apparent bur applied sparingly. It's an ok smoke but nothing that makes me want to buy it again.

Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I have noted that several reviewers here are comparing this blend to Edgeworth, particularly the Ready Rubbed version. Well, I will never agree that Edgeworth Ready Rubbed was anything other than a cube cut and certainly provided a much different smoking presentation & flavor than Edgeworth Sliced - which does contain a bit of Virginia leaf while the Ready Rubbed version does not. Having said that, Wessex Burley Broadcut is nowhere close to being as tasty (IMO, of course) as either Edgeworth version.

Burley does not vary much in flavor over the course of a smoke, except the cheaper stuff does get bitter near the bottom. This one did not, and provided a pleasant enough experience but not one that warrants another purchase. Perhaps all the additional cavendish & Virginia dummied down the natural Burley nuttiness.

If an unobtrusive mild smoke is your preference, then Wessex Burley Broadcut may be worth a try.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I've tried a number of Wessex blends in pouches an I'm usually anything but impressed. This one surprised me. One reviewer compared it to Edgeworth Ready Rubbed, but I don't see the comparison at all. While Edgeworth is cube cut, this is not. This blend also packs far less of a bite than Edgeworth while delivering more flavor and a smoother smoke. Burley smokers owe it to themselves to try it.

grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (45)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I haven't yet had the Wessex Burley Flake, that's coming up. By all accounts it recreates the Edgeworth Slices of old. This piqued my curiosity: is Burley Broadcut an attempt at simulating Edgeworth Ready Rubbed?

Upon opening the pouch I would have described the aroma as sweetly boozy, not at all like "E.R.R." But, then again, I can't recall ever opening a fresh pouch of Edgeworth! The cut is different for the Wessex, as well. Some bits of leaf, some ribbon, and some huge chunks of pressed tobacco that looked for all the world like pet kibble.

Lighting brought forth a moderately familiar taste: House of Windsor burley. You may think I'm reaching too far but the label on the pouch indicates that this product is made in the U.S....I'll leave it to others to confirm or deny. As well as the straight burley flavour there came in waves the delectable taste of, yes, Edgeworth. I found the added flavour would come and go, and over all, the smoke didn't seem to possess quite the earthy quality of our old friend.

If you like Edgeworth, you'll like this. If you don't like Edgeworth, this won't appeal. I recommend it as a good smoking, good quality blend for burley lovers, or those looking to try a burley tobacco.