Mild black cavendish and nutty burley are refined with aromatic vanilla. This mixture is pressed under high pressure and cut into flakes. A softly and aromatically smoking pleasure with marvelous fragrance, unmistakable.

BrandPlanta
ContentsBurley, Black Cavendish
FlavoringVanilla
Strength
Taste

3.2
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Having re-activated my Falcons after a few years, and being a filter smoker normally, I was looking for suitably mild and light fare to feed the Falcons with. Black Cavendish-dominated blends having been shunned by me for a long time, I had already started trying a few, again, to find that in the meantime I seem to have acquired the required skills to manage BC in the pipe, so something Black Cavendish-y would do. I chose this blend to take over where Rattray's Black Virginia had left off and was pleasantly surprised.

Opening the tin and peeling back the wax paper, the slices are a very dark brown, small and crumbly: no glue applied, it seems; fold-and-sink is out of the question. The tin note is very much vanilla, with an undercurrent of fruit and some chocolate: the Burley extends its greetings and cordially invites the smoker to stuff and light up.

Doing that, the slices rub out very easily; moisture level is perfect straight from the tin, and the relatively thin cut of the slices makes lighting easy for a BC-based blend. Maintenance is also not much of a chore; Black Vanilla Flake burns coolly, slowly, drily and uncomplicatedly down to a surprisingly bright ash with practically no dottle.

The taste is sweet, as can be expected, but not sickeningly so. The vanilla is not very noticeable in the taste, though the Burley certainly is, in a good way. The room note is where this blend really shines: highly crowd compatible

This is not my typical fare by any means, but I do enjoy the occasional pipeful as a bit of a candy replacement. Behaves excellently in smaller bowls (Falcon bowls tend to be pretty tiny) and unlike many other BC-based blends, does not produce much condensation. So, three stars.

Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

A very fine and firmly "tobacco" tasting aromatic with a light scent and taste of Vanilla. If you are used to the Vanilla Extract "drugstore" type of Vanilla blends and still hunting for one that'll give you great Vanilla taste while at the same time handing you a true tobacco taste, then give this palate pleaser a try.

Of all the Vanilla blends I've tried this one is hands down the best!

No goop, smokes cool and dry and tastes like tobacco!

Peterschaume Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peterschaume (4)
Mild Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

This tobacco is probably one who has the most vanilla flavouring. Bourbon vanilla is probably used.

Sometimes, I smoke it pure, but I would rather reserve it for my own aromatic blends.

This tobacco flake needs to be rehydrated. All tins I bought were properly closed, but the content was too much dry.

It's not really a problem if used for a home aromatic blend, because you must wet the tobaccos to mix the aromas. But it crumbles too much for a usual flake use (not rubbed) and it doesn't produce enough of "steam" in the way to be able to extract the full aroma and to "transport" it to your palate, if you don't do this.

This tobacco have a full and generous vanilla taste (the most flavoured that I've tried), if correctly rehydrated, when you smoke it pure. And also a pretty good tobacco for your aromatic blends, because it fully flavours the blend with only a pinch of it.

If the other vanilla mixtures have always seemed too bland for your taste, try this one.

At last, IMO, this flake version is quite better than the ready rubbed one. But the closure is better with the round tin (ready rubbed), due that you can screw it. So, I use the round box to preserve the humidity of the flakes. It also have the advantage to present a rest for your pipe on the lid.

Mild to Medium Strong Full Very Pleasant

Planta Danish Black Vanilla flake . The unlit aroma is fabulous , being one of the most indomitable Vanilla smelling Tobaccos I have had as of yet ! The flakes are of a fantastic thickness and moisture level to rub and fill with , actually the easiest flake to prepare (for me) . Now lighting ... an absolutely easy task , taking to the flame on the first attempt .The flavour of the smoke is sublime , you get a brilliant and clear Vanilla taste with the Black Cavendish lending an auspicious sweet touch to it . Not a bit of Tongue Bite , even if you draw hard on it and Nicotine level is very satisfying , with the smoke being easily inhaled if chosen to . The room note has a slightly sweet/Vanilla touch to it and is not very heavy , so a good one for non smokers in the room . When I first opened this I was worried that it was just going to be meretricious but once lit I realised it was the finest Vanilla flake out there ! The only negative point is that it does tend to burn a little quickly !

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: Smoke King

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)

First of all this comes in a nice, usefully small tin with a bling-bling gold wrapper around the neat stack of uniform flakes. I found the tobacco inside to be of almost perfect humidity for my liking, negating the need for the long drying periods I am forced to suffer with most other tobaccos.

The tin aroma is like egg nog - vanilla, light spice, general creamy yummines etc.

In smoking this tobacco doesn't come across like any other aromatic I've ever tried; it never gets hot or sour, it doesn't plaster your palette with sugar or flavourings, and it's not sticky or sickly and it leaves no gunk in the pipe. The mild, natural vanilla scent is present in the taste (but not the dominant flavour by any means) and it complements the natural taste of the tobacco beautifully. Combined with the fact that the strength is on the 'medium' side of 'mild to medium' this all makes me think of it more of a natural/aromatic crossover. It's just a good burley blend flake that happens to have a slight vanilla smell. Behaves brilliantly in all ways from opening the tin to tapping out the ash.

I don't smoke this every day because there's other tobaccos I like too much, but every time I go back to it I wonder why it took me so long. As far as vanilla aromatics go this is the best I know and the most like a natural tobacco. I would think every pipe smoker could find something for them here.

A real nice smoke.

Peterpiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peterpiper (4)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Delightful. I stumbled across this tin in a local store, checked it on the reviews, and decided to give it a try as an alternative to Mac Baren Vanilla Creme. I found it easy to pack and light (no rubbing out required) and extremely well behaved, producing nice plumes of white smoke. The only netgative for me was that it didn't seem to rest very well, and I was unaqble to recapture the delicious taste after allowing the bowl to rest for 30 minutes. Otherwise, highly agreeable, for those who like a vanilla aromatic.

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This is the best example of how cut can make or break a tobacco. While the ready rubbed version is a strongly flavored, biting and totally unremarkable aromatic, the flake counterpart is a fine tobacco with milder vanilla and prune flavoring and no tongue bite whatsoever, where cavendish and burley are given room to show their qualities.

Maybe not the best aromatic ever, but it certainly deserves a place in the Aromatics Hall of Fame.

Room Note Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Room Note Professor (39)

Terrible. To begin with, I pushed open my tin with my thumb - no coin required. The tobacco was bone dry and it smoked hot. The taste was of vanilla but there was also a biting metallic note present. The room note was pleasant but not spectacular: vanilla with hints of metallic cherry. No thank you.

onepuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
onepuff (6)

This is perhaps one of the most pleasant tobaccos I have smoked. If you like the (mild to medium) vanilla flavouring then I would recommend it wholeheartedly. Its mildly sweet casing and vanilla topping does not detract at all from the flavour of the obviously high quality tobacco but instead enhance it. I smoke this tobacco in the Mac Baren fashion (not rubbed out) and find it a very cool smoke with absolutely no tongue bite. It comes as a dryish flake which also leaves behind a fine ash in th bowl with no wet dottle.

Superb and highly recommended. Only the highish price lets it down but it is well worth paying for for such an enjoyable tobacco.

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (57)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

If you are looking for:

1) An aromatic vanilla that tastes, smokes and has a roomnote like actual vanilla?

2) An aromatic that has tobacco taste? (This is not a weak tobacco)

3) Something that pleases the smoker with the same fragrance as passers-by will detect?

4) A compact tin, 3.25"x2.5"x7/8", that will have lots of tobacco inside that is readily portable and unobtrusive in the smallest of shirt pockets?

5) Flake tobacco that you can rub out on the spot and not wait for it to dry?

6) That slow, cool burning mix that doesn't bite even with agressive puffing - and I mean slow burning!!?

7) A wonderful tin nose that reminds you of when you first wanted to smoke a pipe and why?

If you answered yes to any of these questions... Buy some Planta "Original Black Vanilla Flake". This is the best aromatic tobacco I have tried to date. It is not stickey or wet, in fact it is very dry and easily rubs out. It smokes cooler and dryer than many English/Balkans I've sampled.

Well done Planta, please don't stop making this one.

No, I don't work for Planta or take a percentage of any tobacco sales in any way :)

Simply put,, This is pipe smoking!!!

Thanks to all who post here with their excellent insight and to the guru's who developed and maintain this site. I cannot thank you all enough.

Just so you know,,,, we pipe smokers are the coolest!!@@@##

PS: I just purchased a "Senior Pipe Reamer" This tool is simply the best. I highly recommend picking one up.

Alden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alden (7)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Tobacco and vanilla balanced very well. Needs a roomy pipe bowl. Great for smoking whilst in company and drinking Yorkshire bitter outside a pub. However, it isn't an all-day smoke for me.

FunnyPipe727 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FunnyPipe727 (20)
Mild Mild to Medium Overwhelming Tolerable

This tobacco was one of my first, and I smoked it out of a cheaper pipe. Perhaps that's why i didn't much care for it then, and I don't now. I wish I could like it, but there's a few reasons I still shy away from the stuff. It does smell like a good Vanilla aromatic from just the tin note alone, but it doesn't taste like it. This flake smells deceivingly sweet because of the Burley and Black Cavendish, but tastes very sour due to the heavy vanilla casing. Even the flakes are sticky to the touch. Definitely let it dry out before smoking. I found that this tobacco, even after drying it, smoked wetter than anything I've puffed before. Lots of gurgle and goop in the pipe, and the smoke itself is almost like hot and sour vanilla steam. It's not very appetizing, and the flavor sticks in your pipe for a long time. The only reason I bothered giving this two stars is because it is available in ready rub. Maybe that's better. I've found ready rubs are easier to work with than flakes. I've also found they tend to smoke drier, but hey that's just me. Give it a whirl I guess. If you can make it work, I'm sure it's a satisfying smoke. Just not for me.

PersianBaccy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PersianBaccy (13)

This is a fine vanilla burley,but not the best burley by any means.

The tobacco taste is there but it is pure burley and there is no natural sweetness .You may like this tobacco if you are a burley lover, but in that case you may love many other better burley blends.

For a vanilla aromatic, I haven't seen anything even close to the quality of MacBaren Vanilla Flake.

Gigilos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gigilos (24)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

As far as aromatics go, this is their highest point. A blend which allows both the casing (vanillesque accompanied by something alcoholic) and most importantly the nutty tobacco to "speak".

Develops quite interestingly throughout the bowl and never becomes overtly sweet or overwhelming. Be careful nevertheless as it leaves significant aromatic traces in the pipe which may dissatisfy the non aromatic purists who set to try it. Importantly it is not as weak in strenght as most aromatics (without it being especially potent either) and hence delivers more of a tobacco feeling that just hot scented air.

* UPDATE, I am downgrading this one star. Perhaps a sign of my own moving away from aromatics. It recently provided me with a disagreeable sweetenign numb of the tongue plus an odour of burnt tobacco which is not at all desirable. may have been the specific flake I burned as this has happened only once.

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)

As a change of pace, I like this. It is an attractive dark flake (I didn't find it dry like others have) that rubs easily into the pipe. The burley is nice and nutty, and the topping is not overdone. It produces a pleasing room aroma. The initial vanilla flavor quickly takes a backseat to the tobacco. No bite, no palate coating. This burns cool and clean. Very well done.

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (72)

This was a revelation blend for me. It made me see something that was right in front of me but I never realized. I really don't care to much for Burley. I don't hate it, I just don't prefer it. That being said, my opinion is this,

This is a top notch Vanilla blend for Burley lovers. For people who prefer a Virginia base Vanilla blend (like me) go to MacBaren for the Vanilla cream Flake or Loose cut.

Drlawgr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Drlawgr (6)

IMO this is a good black vanilla tobacco. Smells nice, smokes nice and even, and room smells good. About 30% of the times I smoke it by itself (rolled flake), and 70% of the times I mix it with the Aphora Full Aroma (red), using a 50-50 mix, which gives a really nice smell. Overall I would say a good tobacco. Grade:B

rhapsodyofmetal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rhapsodyofmetal (42)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Amazing! The smell was a bit intoxicating at first but when I tasted the first bowl I knew this was it. Beats Mac Baren! This is a savory blend that mixes Vanilla-nutmeg-and maybe cherries into a fantastic bland.

Pipers Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipers (19)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Their are better aromatics to go for. Petersons Sherlock and Macbarens Mixture come to mind. If you love aromatics give this a try but i did'nt find this to be anywhere near these other 2 offerings and it left me with an acute case of dogs breath after smoking.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Black Cavendish with Burley perfumed with Vanilla Madagascar. It has nothing to do with the ready rubbed tobacco. It has a sweet flavor without being very perfumed, in my opinion it is a heavy tobacco, which you cannot easily smoke in the morning and definitely it is not an all day tobacco.

It exceeds as a mix in the perfume which gives to the room, which is really amazing. I will not try to buy it again unless.

I want to use the very beautiful and convenient box.

imago Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
imago (63)

Update: 12/08/2007

Since my initial review a few days ago, I have had ample opportunity to smoke more of this wonderful tobacco. This is not only perhaps the best aromatic I've ever tried; I would also rank it among the best tobaccos of any type. I find myself smoking more and more of it with each passing day. The only disadvantage that I've found with this tobacco is that it is not inexpensive. Fine for an occasional smoke, but too pricey for me to smoke all the time.

Original review: 12/05/2007

I mostly smoke Virginias, VaPers, and latakia mixtures, but I occasionally enjoy a mild aromatic. This is a dark (but not black) flake tobacco which has a rather noticeable vanilla tin aroma. The flakes pack well (and rub out rather well, too, although I usually just stuff them into the bowl as-is), and the initial light is relatively easy. I have noticed a few good things about this tobacco: it's relatively gentle on the mouth, does not taste so much as smell of vanilla, and has the flavour of real tobacco flavour lying beneath the slightest hint of real vanilla. It burns well with few relights, does not burn hot, and leaves behind a light (but noticeable), sweet, pleasant aroma. I never noticed any moisture in the bowl, and the tobacco burned down to a fine salt-and-pepper ash. Recommended for the lover of aromatics or for those who enjoy something different from time to time.

By the way, this is NOTHING like the ready-rubbed stuff that comes in the round tin.

QuietMoments Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
QuietMoments (7)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

I like aromatics, and I particularly like vanilla, and this tobacco suites me to a tee. The flavour is mild, but the sweetness of the vanilla comes through. It lights with a satisfyingly rich blue plume, and burns well throughout. Don't be put off by the flake - it takes only a moment to rub it out to a nice smoking consistency. This is currently my favourite - replacing Stanwell Vanilla. Note that it is quite different to the non-flake version with the same name. The ready-to-smoke version does not have the same flavour.

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I have not tried the ribbon version of this blend as of yet. I see that it gets panned by most reviewers. It appears that the contents are not identical according to the blend description.

I love the flake though. I smoke it in a Stanwell HCA and it is quite the unique vanilla taste -- supposedly Madagascar vanilla bean is used for the flavor.

I prefer straight Virginias and Vapers as a rule (with a latakia blend in the evenings), but I do like an aromatic once in a while. As far as vanilla-based aromatics go, this is probably my favorite. I prefer it over Stokebye's BVC, Dunhill's A21000 ( a close second) and Dan's Sweet Vanilla Honeydew.

I can't say that it is a tremendous value: The tin is small and the flakes dry out quickly if precautions are not taken to retain the moisture.