Mild black cavendish and nutty burley are refined with aromatic vanilla. This mixture is pressed under high pressure and cut into flakes. A softly and aromatically smoking pleasure with marvelous fragrance, unmistakable.

BrandPlanta
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley
FlavoringVanilla
Strength
Taste

Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

A very fine and firmly "tobacco" tasting aromatic with a light scent and taste of Vanilla. If you are used to the Vanilla Extract "drugstore" type of Vanilla blends and still hunting for one that'll give you great Vanilla taste while at the same time handing you a true tobacco taste, then give this palate pleaser a try.

Of all the Vanilla blends I've tried this one is hands down the best!

No goop, smokes cool and dry and tastes like tobacco!

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (80)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

If you are looking for:

1) An aromatic vanilla that tastes, smokes and has a roomnote like actual vanilla?

2) An aromatic that has tobacco taste? (This is not a weak tobacco)

3) Something that pleases the smoker with the same fragrance as passers-by will detect?

4) A compact tin, 3.25"x2.5"x7/8", that will have lots of tobacco inside that is readily portable and unobtrusive in the smallest of shirt pockets?

5) Flake tobacco that you can rub out on the spot and not wait for it to dry?

6) That slow, cool burning mix that doesn't bite even with agressive puffing - and I mean slow burning!!?

7) A wonderful tin nose that reminds you of when you first wanted to smoke a pipe and why?

If you answered yes to any of these questions... Buy some Planta "Original Black Vanilla Flake". This is the best aromatic tobacco I have tried to date. It is not stickey or wet, in fact it is very dry and easily rubs out. It smokes cooler and dryer than many English/Balkans I've sampled.

Well done Planta, please don't stop making this one.

No, I don't work for Planta or take a percentage of any tobacco sales in any way :)

Simply put,, This is pipe smoking!!!

Thanks to all who post here with their excellent insight and to the guru's who developed and maintain this site. I cannot thank you all enough.

Just so you know,,,, we pipe smokers are the coolest!!@@@##

PS: I just purchased a "Senior Pipe Reamer" This tool is simply the best. I highly recommend picking one up.

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Planta Danish Black Vanilla Flake.

The unlit aroma is fabulous, being one of the most indomitable vanilla smelling tobaccos I have had as of yet! The flakes are of a fantastic thickness and moisture level to rub and fill with, actually the easiest flake to prepare (for me).

Now lighting ... an absolutely easy task, taking to the flame on the first attempt. The flavour's sublime, lots of vanilla! Not one bit of tongue bite, even if I draw hard on it, and the nicotine's quite mild. The room note has a slightly sweet/vanilla touch to it and is not very heavy, so it's a good one for non smokers in the room. When I first opened this I was worried that it was just going to be meretricious but once lit I realised it was one of the finest vanilla flakes out there!

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: Smoke King

Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Having re-activated my Falcons after a few years, and being a filter smoker normally, I was looking for suitably mild and light fare to feed the Falcons with. Black Cavendish-dominated blends having been shunned by me for a long time, I had already started trying a few, again, to find that in the meantime I seem to have acquired the required skills to manage BC in the pipe, so something Black Cavendish-y would do. I chose this blend to take over where Rattray's Black Virginia had left off and was pleasantly surprised.

Opening the tin and peeling back the wax paper, the slices are a very dark brown, small and crumbly: no glue applied, it seems; fold-and-sink is out of the question. The tin note is very much vanilla, with an undercurrent of fruit and some chocolate: the Burley extends its greetings and cordially invites the smoker to stuff and light up.

Doing that, the slices rub out very easily; moisture level is perfect straight from the tin, and the relatively thin cut of the slices makes lighting easy for a BC-based blend. Maintenance is also not much of a chore; Black Vanilla Flake burns coolly, slowly, drily and uncomplicatedly down to a surprisingly bright ash with practically no dottle.

The taste is sweet, as can be expected, but not sickeningly so. The vanilla is not very noticeable in the taste, though the Burley certainly is, in a good way. The room note is where this blend really shines: highly crowd compatible

This is not my typical fare by any means, but I do enjoy the occasional pipeful as a bit of a candy replacement. Behaves excellently in smaller bowls (Falcon bowls tend to be pretty tiny) and unlike many other BC-based blends, does not produce much condensation. So, three stars.

Peterpiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peterpiper (4)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Delightful. I stumbled across this tin in a local store, checked it on the reviews, and decided to give it a try as an alternative to Mac Baren Vanilla Creme. I found it easy to pack and light (no rubbing out required) and extremely well behaved, producing nice plumes of white smoke. The only netgative for me was that it didn't seem to rest very well, and I was unaqble to recapture the delicious taste after allowing the bowl to rest for 30 minutes. Otherwise, highly agreeable, for those who like a vanilla aromatic.

Leeboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Leeboy (20)

I've only had a sample of this flake but I am very impressed. The flake I had was really dry and packed and smoked nicely down to the bottom of the bowl. I've smoked Mac Baren vanilla cream but I feel this has the edge with the added burley giving it more depth of flavor. There was no bite which was great as Mac Baren bites big time if you are a bit eager.I will definitely be ordering a tin to see how that compares. Good job Planta.

Pipe Used: Dr Grabow

Age When Smoked: unknown

Purchased From: smoke king

Similar Blends: Mac Baren - Vanilla Cream Flake.

kumo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kumo (4)

Black Vanilla Flake. The flavoring is decent. What I mean here is that it is probably excellent by aromatics standards, but I just cannot believe that this is pure unadulterated vanilla, especially since it is a Planta blend. It always tastes a tiny bit chemical to me. Why 4 stars then?

Short answer: it is a damn fine tobacco.

Long answer: I believe that I have been drawn to pipe smoking many moons ago by the room note of caramel/vanilla/toffee kind of aromatics. Yet, I have found none that pleased me. Saddened by that fact, I made my way into the world of pipe tobacco, sampling and enjoying latakia blends, understanding the nuances of VA, of Orientals, of Perique. My journey was built upon three stupid facts. Burley is crap. Black Cavendish is goop. Aromatics are for sissies. Blah, blah, blah, pipe snobbism. My truth is, I have never been able to fully enjoy English, VA and the like. Some are really fine, far better than any drugstore aromatic for sure. Those, I still smoke them with pleasure, even though they are not completely satisfying to me. So, to educate myself, I bought tins that I would have never considered before. Amongst them, a tin of Mac Baren Old Dark Fired and a tin of Rattray's Black Virginia. Epiphany. First of all, I like burley. Second, proper English-type Black Cav' is something wonderful. Dramatically bland by itself, but lending blends a sweetness I had been looking for all those years. Oh, did you notice that Black Vanilla Flake is made entirely of Burley and Black Cavendish? Well, I did. All in all, I still have a hard time admitting that I like aromatics. Maybe the flake form factor and the tiny tuckable tin sold me to this one. Anyway. If you are into tobacco that has the creaminess and the tobacco-ness (is that a word?) of Old Dark Fired, the added sweetness of proper Black Cavendish and the crowd-pleasing qualities of aromatics, Danish Black Vanilla Flake might be the best thing you could ever buy. It is a non-evolutive, solid, dry, reliable, simple and frank tobacco. Vanilla-flavored, yes, but still. I wouldn't blush if I was caught smoking that holding to a halyard on the deck of a tall ship by gale-force winds. A manly aromatic?

Pipe Used: Courrieu, Jesse Jones, Blueroom Briars, RC Sands

Purchased From: Local store in Japan

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)

First of all this comes in a nice, usefully small tin with a bling-bling gold wrapper around the neat stack of uniform flakes. I found the tobacco inside to be of almost perfect humidity for my liking, negating the need for the long drying periods I am forced to suffer with most other tobaccos.

The tin aroma is like egg nog - vanilla, light spice, general creamy yummines etc.

In smoking this tobacco doesn't come across like any other aromatic I've ever tried; it never gets hot or sour, it doesn't plaster your palette with sugar or flavourings, and it's not sticky or sickly and it leaves no gunk in the pipe. The mild, natural vanilla scent is present in the taste (but not the dominant flavour by any means) and it complements the natural taste of the tobacco beautifully. Combined with the fact that the strength is on the 'medium' side of 'mild to medium' this all makes me think of it more of a natural/aromatic crossover. It's just a good burley blend flake that happens to have a slight vanilla smell. Behaves brilliantly in all ways from opening the tin to tapping out the ash.

I don't smoke this every day because there's other tobaccos I like too much, but every time I go back to it I wonder why it took me so long. As far as vanilla aromatics go this is the best I know and the most like a natural tobacco. I would think every pipe smoker could find something for them here.

A real nice smoke.

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This is the best example of how cut can make or break a tobacco. While the ready rubbed version is a strongly flavored, biting and totally unremarkable aromatic, the flake counterpart is a fine tobacco with milder vanilla and prune flavoring and no tongue bite whatsoever, where cavendish and burley are given room to show their qualities.

Maybe not the best aromatic ever, but it certainly deserves a place in the Aromatics Hall of Fame.

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I have not tried the ribbon version of this blend as of yet. I see that it gets panned by most reviewers. It appears that the contents are not identical according to the blend description.

I love the flake though. I smoke it in a Stanwell HCA and it is quite the unique vanilla taste -- supposedly Madagascar vanilla bean is used for the flavor.

I prefer straight Virginias and Vapers as a rule (with a latakia blend in the evenings), but I do like an aromatic once in a while. As far as vanilla-based aromatics go, this is probably my favorite. I prefer it over Stokebye's BVC, Dunhill's A21000 ( a close second) and Dan's Sweet Vanilla Honeydew.

I can't say that it is a tremendous value: The tin is small and the flakes dry out quickly if precautions are not taken to retain the moisture.

Sanel418 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sanel418 (3)

I'm not aromatic lover. I prefer more Va/Pe or Latakia blends. I buy it because I wanted something when I want to change the taste. And this Black Vanilla became my favourite aromatic. Next time I will order a few tins more. You easy rub it, moisture is perfect and in my case you need only first light. After that, you can enjoy in great tobacco with vanilla flavour in the background. Good job Planta. From my side you have 4 stars.

Purchased From: Cigarworld - Germany

Room Note Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Room Note Professor (44)

Terrible. To begin with, I pushed open my tin with my thumb - no coin required. The tobacco was bone dry and it smoked hot. The taste was of vanilla but there was also a biting metallic note present. The room note was pleasant but not spectacular: vanilla with hints of metallic cherry. No thank you.

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)

As a change of pace, I like this. It is an attractive dark flake (I didn't find it dry like others have) that rubs easily into the pipe. The burley is nice and nutty, and the topping is not overdone. It produces a pleasing room aroma. The initial vanilla flavor quickly takes a backseat to the tobacco. No bite, no palate coating. This burns cool and clean. Very well done.

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (74)

This was a revelation blend for me. It made me see something that was right in front of me but I never realized. I really don't care to much for Burley. I don't hate it, I just don't prefer it. That being said, my opinion is this,

This is a top notch Vanilla blend for Burley lovers. For people who prefer a Virginia base Vanilla blend (like me) go to MacBaren for the Vanilla cream Flake or Loose cut.