A smooth and sweet blend of bright and red Virginias, Macedonian and other Orientals, smoky latakia and a touch of unflavored toasted black cavendish. A traditional Scottish-type mixture, a great alternative for the Dunhill 965 smoker who is looking for the same kind of medium bodied, slightly sweet latakia blend, but would like something a bit different.

BrandHearth & Home
Strength
Taste
Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (127)

I have smoked a half dozen of Russ Ouellette's blends. All of them are very good, but of those I have sampled Sunjammer is, in my opinion, a world class blend. It puts me in mind of Fox's Campanile and Provost Mixture. The Virginia base is smooth and rich. The latakia is there to taste, but is not overdone. The main event consists of the oriental tobaccos, and I think the star of the show is the Macedonian which I peg as very close to, if not, Yenidje. If you like your Balkan mixtures without rough edges and with that oriental spiciness clear, distinct and not overpowered by latakia, you should enjoy this blend. This so smooth, biteless, flavorful and spicey, it could be an all day blend for those who must have a steady diet of Balkan. I would go a bit further and recommend this blend to any pipe smoker. When folks are raving about this blend years from now, you will know what they are talking about. I hope it ages well, because I intend to stock up. It is the type of English/Balkan that can consistently pull me away from Va. and Vapers. Pipe smoking just keeps on getting better. Highest recommendation. Paddy.

The very smoky, woody sweet Cyprian latakia also sports a light mustiness. Competing for the lead with the latakia is the dry, woody, buttery sweet, slightly salty, and rather spicy Orientals. There are times one is a little more obvious than the other. The red Virginia provides some tangy dark fruit and earth, while the bright Virginia has a little citrus and grass, though you’ll notice the red a little more. They are mostly background players. The toasted black cavendish chips in with a little smoothness. The nic-hit is a step closer to mild than it is to medium. No chance of bite, and has no dull or harsh moments. Burns cool and clean at a reasonable pace with a little inconsistency in its rich, deep flavor. Leaves a small amount of dampness in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Has a pleasant, slightly lingering after taste. Can be a all day smoke for the veteran smoker, and if it isn’t for the less experienced, it’s certainly repeatable. Three and a half stars.

Houndstooth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Houndstooth (34)

This is called a "Scottish" blend (whatever that is) but to me it's a light Balkan, and part of a continuum created by Russ Oulette in the Heart & Home series- the half pound cans of which I can't leave alone since I discovered the brand.

Just to sidetrack a bit, I'd like to say that this is the first summer I've ever spent smoking Latakia throughout. Some months (maybe a year) ago, someone wrote an article about how Latakia is smokeable in the summer if one opened his mind. And while I did retire Mt. Marcy in the spring, I did keep up with Daybreak, and that led me to American Heritage, and eventually Sunjammer. It's been quite nice! This all came from my abandonment of total Lat bombs to begin with, and since then I've not looked back.

I've not had Dunhill's 965, so I cannot offer a comparison on that account. However, I do find this to be a sister to H&H Daybreak. But where Daybreak is grassier, lighter and burns quicker, Sunjammer is more substantial, with more deep notes to it. Much more suitable while I'm reading at night, Sunjammer burns longer, perhaps due to the Cavendish or more Virginia in the mix. The orientals are there, but maybe not quite as much as in Daybreak.

Perfect balance and no tongue bite either, this could be an all-day smoke for those so inclined. Four stars.

8/15- Let me try to clear something up; those reporting sourness on this blend are not sourpusses or poor sports. It's happened to to me as well, and my theory is that it happens to bowls near the end which have been relit and/or tamped. I have a faithful basket dublin that the blend went sour in the other night. I'm sticking to narrow bowls with this for a while- after all, there's Virginia in it. My Peterson Rocky Donegal Lovat 53 showed off this blend very nicely. Don't let the sour stories scare you off; this tobacco is good most of the time, but it might have its quirks.

Pipe Used: Cobs, Comoy, Peterson

Age When Smoked: new as per July 2014

Purchased From: Hearth & Home

Similar Blends: Daybreak, to a degree.

I know that this one was made to emulate Dunhill's famous 965, but I think this blend really is stronger and more full bodied, too. I got the nutty, rich Latakia taste that I expected, but was pleasantly surprised at the strength of the blend and the lack of harshness, despite the fact that the tin I smoked was so fresh. I picked up several more tins to cellar and will certainly go back to Sunjammer in a couple of years. Great stuff!

Pipestud

puddlepirate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puddlepirate (11)

I bought 4oz. in bulk. This is a great summer time blend, which was just what I was looking for.

cobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cobacco (52)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am not the only person to find a sour taste with Sunjammer. Since I had some Dunhill 965 on hand, I did a comparison and honestly, 965 blows Sunjammer right out of the water. 965 is nicely made and can be quickly and easily packed in the pipe. Sunjammer has to be picked over for clumps, stems, and woody chunks. The poor physical quality of this tobacco makes me wish that I had an herb grinder to run it through. About the only thing similar is the tin note. But smoking Sunjammer is not at all fulfilling for me because it has a sour taste, burns hot, and is very weak.

Pipe Used: cob

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

My review is from a generous 2 ounce tin sample with a recent order that was sent to me. A mix of browns and blacks without being overly moist. Tin aroma was very pleasant. It is interesting that I enjoy the smell of Latakia from the tin, but never have been a big fan when it comes to smoking it in a mixture. This one, however, was tolerable for me. I found it true to a more traditional blending tradition without the use of any flavoring agents, but relying solely on the various leaf mixtures. Loading and lighting was without problem and it smoked clean and dry in the heel. It had a subtle sweetness throughout which really made it a winner for me. What I did not experience was the excessive dryness in mouth feel that I usually experience with blends containing Latakia. That was a plus. For me, very similar to other blends in the genre. The pungent taste of the Oriental leaf (not the Latakia) made itself known from time to time - never taking center stage. Overall a tasty, but generic, tribute to Scottish blending. Recommended, and although not the normal fare in my line up, a very nice change of pace from time to time - similar to Balkan Sasieni for me, but sweeter and more enjoyable.

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Sunjammer is a solid, somewhat rich English blend. I think there may be some McClelland tobaccos used in part of this blend. The moisture content is perfect and it burns cleanly. I would disagree that there is any simalarity to mm965. I actually find it closer to Magnum Opus also by the same blender. Those that like MO or McClelland English blends should give this one a try. Another well done tobacco by Russ Ouellette. Recommended.

Kerdy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerdy (43)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

My sample has a few months on it and has become a little on the dry side, but this has not damaged the review. Packed well and took to the flame like a pro. Being a little on the dry side actually helps it not to go out without regular puffing. Very nice tobacco, and to be honest I did not expect it to be at all.

In contrast to others who have stated this reminds them of 965, to me there is little similar between the two. Then again, I came to 965 after the switch, so it may be like the older blending.

Overall, a nice smoke and would happily take a bowl if offered. Recommend this to those who enjoy a middle of the road English with just the right amount of Latakia!

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (180)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

I find this blend does remind me of Dunhill's MM965. It seems to be just right on the moisture level. It smells great in the bag and lights quite easily and stays lit. It produces a nice amount of smoke for me. The wife didn't throw anything my way when I smoked this, so it gets the pleasant rating on room note. It smokes down to a nice ash in the bottom of the bowl. It smokes dry for me without a gurgle even coming close. Definitely recommended.

SecretAgentMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SecretAgentMan (27)

I don't know why, but for me this tobacco had a very small no-bite envelope and produced mostly sour and tongue-rasping smoke. When it wasn't misbehaving, it was a pleasant blend, like a favorite sweater. Tastes were Ritz crackers, peanuts, molasses, burning fall leaves, wheat beer. But mostly I tasted sour and bitey smoke, degenerating to a metallic 3-in-1 oil taste at the bottom of the bowl. Your mileage may vary, and I can tell that it could be a really nice tobacco. Hence 2 stars, because I can tell the flavor's there, but it's just not there for me.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

If you are a fan of Dunhill's 965, this is the blend you should turn to now that it might be diappearing here in the U.S. Others might disagree, but I think Oulette has managed to capture the elusive overall feel of that mixture. Unfortunately (for me) I dislike most of Dunhill's offerings, including 965, and probably won't be buying more of this. But I also recognize that the quality of the leaf and the blender's skill here are top-notch. I rate this a two-star blend based on my personal tastes, but it's probably at least three stars for anyone who's a fan of Dunhill.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

This is the second blend from pipesandcigars that I have tried and I am impressed. It arrived dry, and straight out of the vaccum packed bag there was a bit of an edge to the smoke. Allowed time to breathe Sunjammer proved to be a delightfully satisfying smoke. It is full without being rich or opulent. I have smoked it all day in briars, meerschaums and cobs, and it has delivered consistently. Where I live temperatures have gone past the 40 degree Celsius mark and it is usually time to move to lighter blends, but Sunjammer remains enjoyable, and is the perfect hot weather Balkan.

It can hold its own against blends priced twice as much. It does require care in smoking, giving its best at low burning temperatures. Three and a half stars.

point9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
point9 (114)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

This blend did not impress me at first. A restrained English blend with medium flavor. Therefore I put it in the back row of my cabinet and just forgot about it. About 1-2 months I revisited it, I was amazed! It became smooth and rich, without harshness or any bite. I can relate to that some reviews compared it with MM965. As a mild to medium, sweet English blend, this will be my No. 1 choice!

Age When Smoked: 1-2 months

Geronimo Von Klaus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geronimo Von Klaus (76)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

A sweet English, and one of the best of its kind.

Never had the original 965 that this is a match for, this is 5 times as good as the 965 reincarnate though.

Its a medium/heavy English with good doses of strong components, but a solid Black Cavendish tingles this into that composite of sweet and heavy. The VA's and the BC offset a strong Lat presence, and all in all, it makes for a nice Autumn English smoke.

Could be an all day English, I like it as a wander through the park in Autumn one though.

Not much could be improved, very nice.

Mild None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Excellent Balkan full of Latakia, with Orientals and Virginias on the background. Tasty, slightly sweet, extremely pleasant. Don't expect a nicotine kick, as this is pretty mild among its kind. I generally prefer Larry's Blend from this company, but this is also top quality.

Irishlefty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Irishlefty (19)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend didn't bowl me over, smoking it the first time didn't create a sensual experience akin to good sex but.....after several bowls I do think that it is mild enough to smoke all day yet tasty, flavorful enough to be enjoyed while smoking it all day.

A bit milder then most of my 'regular' tobacco's which tend to be heavy in latakia and/or Perique, and which also require me to spend longer between bowls this is a keeper which I will add to my supply of everyday smokes.

The latakia is there but not dominent. There is a touch of sweetness but not the sickly sweet, just pleasant. The aroma didn't chase any of my friends away which some of my favorites do so I'm guessing it isn't bad (I can't smell what I'm smoking like I could if someone else was smoking it).

Fumatore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fumatore (48)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am giving this mixture 3 stars since it is a very cool, dry and sweet smoke. It is close to the old Dunhill 965 before that blend was ruined. It does not have that horrible stringent taste of cheap tobacco that is so prevalent in the new 965, but it does lack just a bit of heft (too light on the Latikia) amd I think Russ is using black cavendish rather than brown. If you are like me and found 965 was the perfect all day smoke, give this blend a try. I think some age will improve it.

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (56)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco is really flawless in all regards. The Latakia is just right. The Oriental and VA provide just the right amount of sweetness. It burns cool all the way down. The cut of the tobacco lends to easy packing and lighting. I think this is one of 'pipes and cigars' best.

It is flavorful without being overpowering. In fact, it is downright refreshing in the hot weather. It has become my mainstay while fishing, and tastes even better in the salt air. Smokes great in both small and large bowls. 4 stars.