A natural blend of light and dark, long and medium cuts of Burley, Virginia and Latakia, plus shredded Virginia.

Notes: This was an Amar Blends Co. mixture. Cornell and Diehl bought the rights of all their old recipes.

Blended ByAmar Blends Co.
Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
2.0
tsd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tsd (5)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I called in to C&D, and spoke to a gent about switching into their English blends from some other light english, and a few lingering aromatics. I ordered a sample pack of 6 blends, and this led the list. Being that what little they've forgotten about blends is probably more than I know, I simply asked the gent to pick out 6 of the "light english / all day" varietyto sample (C&D sent 015, 068, 101, 412A, Bed & Breakfast, and Good Morning)

The order on Monday morning arrived on a Wednesday afternoon via US Priority Mail. The sample packaging was in heavy duty ziplock bags with a Cornell and Diehl label, see uploaded photo.

I gave this tobacco it's first firing in a good sized meerschaum that was well cleaned prior to smoking, to attempt to narrow down the flavor, etc. to this blend alone.

The taste simply wasn't to my liking in this blend, and there was definitely more tongue bite than with other blends. I did find if I went into "slow smoke competition" [lack of] speed, I could alleviate all of the bite, but that is not my preferred pace.

While the aroma was fine, the taste simply wasn't what I personally was looking for. Add to that more bite than I was used to, and I decided to drop this into storage for a bit.

About three weeks later, I gave this a try in a fairly new Peterson System pipe, which I'd only used for similar blends. Again, not what I was looking for.

I believe in the company, and think this blend may well suit others. It simply wasn't to my taste, so I will pass along the remainders to other fellow pipemen, to allow them to try the blend as well.

Once I find some of the blends I do enjoy, their price rates are quite reasonable for bulk orders.

Jason S. Rundle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jason S. Rundle (6)

When I originally spoke w/ Craig about my interest in a mild english blend I had really enjoyed by the owner of what was once Nathan & Son's Tabocconist of Fish Creek, WI (the shop is no longer their as the owner couldn't stand how slow business was in the winter. I heard from a friend at Sobhraims in Fish Creek that he moved his shop to Florida); he commented that C&D probably blended it. So, without hesitation, I ordered a sample. When the package arrived, two days later, I was very excited, to say the least. I had also ordered an 8 oz. tin of Sam's Blend (my new all day smoke with the demise of Black Dawg) and upon looking at the invoice I discovered the 2 oz. sample of #015 Mild English was not listed. I don't know if that was an over-sight, or because I had specifically requested a "very small sample", if the folks at C&D simple gave it to me as a gift. In either case, I patiently waited for the children to go to sleep, so I could savor what I thought was going to be a trip back in time. I was, and still am, a little disapointed. The aroma from the pouch was not the heavier peppery smokiness I remembered. None the less, with a clean a dry pipe I carefully packed a bowl and upon putting match to leaf I instantly tasted young virginias. Clearly not the blend I had hoped for, as I am not a fan of virginias. I found if I puffed slowly I could only very faintly detect a hint of virginia. Of course, puffed mindlessly I started to detect the beginning of tongue bite. Easing back in my computer desk chair and puffing slowly, the bite soon sub-sided, even disappeared. After a quick tamp, and a re-light, I again leaned back in to my chair and really tried to absorb the taste of the blend. Latakia clearly dominates this blend with hints of what I believed was Perique. However, Perique is not mentioned in the description, I still believe I detected it. This does appear to provide a good dose of nicotine. I admit, I haven't eaten dinner yet, and should have waited before sitting down to sample this blend, but I couldn't wait. I sampled this blend in a large bowl, an unknowned briar made w/ nothing more stamped on it then "Made in London, England 206". I enjoyed this blend, but it really isn't what I was looking for, so I'll be talking to Craig again very soon, to discuss an order of samplings of some other of his fine blends.