A burley based blend of Latakia, Turkish & a little Virginia. Pleases the palate while repelling the mosquitoes.

Blend TypeBurley Based
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable

2.9
BurleyLegal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BurleyLegal (9)

I love this stuff. The tin note is very smoky, both from the latakia and what I suspect is a nice helping of dark fired burley. The latakia makes it's presence known at the first light and then settles down firmly into the background. The latakia sets a great backdrop for the two main players: burley and turkish. These two seem to weave back and forth, taking turns at the forefront. It burns down a bit fast, but smokes smooth and biteless. Evening Rise is a bit of a sleeper in the C&D pantheon, but is most definitely worth a try.

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (109)

Somewhat muddled flavor-wise in the beginning, but cool and smooth. Latakia gets the lead on the palate, burley at the exhale, with a nice spicy note on the retrohale. Complete tasting experience for the first half. Second half, the flavor and (especially) strength ramp up. Never harsh or biting, but strength predominates. Burley comes through at this point, when carefully sipped. Re-light on the home stretch brings out more of the burley. I'll probably stick to good cigars when fishing to repel the bugs, as I'd have to concentrate on not overdoing the draws with a full pipe of ER. 3 stars.

Pipe Used: Nording Freehand

Age When Smoked: Tin date 18-APR-2013

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Good and full flavour. This blend is easy to smoke and hence is good for beginners too.

My rate: 3.8

AbeCox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AbeCox (17)

An interesting blend. I'm of the I mainly smoke aromatics, and while I don't know if it qualifies as an english, I liked it. The tin aroma is like that of a nice woodfire, whith little bits of spices and other pleasantries added in. The first half of the bowl was delicious, with the little bits of other non Virginias would catch and add to the already deliciousness. The only reason that I'm giving it three stars is because during the last quarter of the bowl it started to really get angry and bit me rather unpleasantly. However, given that the majority was fine I'm sure this'll work its way into my rotation.

wintermute Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wintermute (35)
Strong Mild Full Strong

Evening Rise is very strong and very flavorful. I smoke a lot of Prince Albert and I love burley very much. When you open the tin there is a smell of earth and rich tobacco. There is no topping or casing that I could detect. What you smell is what you get. If you are not careful, the first light can sit you down hard. I have coughed more than once lighting this stuff. Again, there is the smell of earth! With all this going on, one would think that the flavor would be searing, but it isn't. It is as smooth as they come. The taste of earth and the rich burley stay the same throughout the bowl. The smoke is creamy and white and the aroma is that of oak burning. There is a little hint of cigar here also. This is not a cigar in a pipe, but there is definitely the taste and smell of a pretty good leaf. Let me say that if you were smoking some good burley and a buddy was smoking a cigar down the way, you would get the same aroma. By the way, this stuff also repels flies... Don't ask. The nicotine level seems to be the same as Royal Yacht, very strong and can give you a buzz. If you cannot handle the nicotine in the Prince, stay away. The ash burns down to a clean white powder that can actually be accidentally drawn through your pipe if you're not careful. This may be because the flavor remains the same down to the last puff and you might not know that you're finished until it's over. One knock and your pipe is ready for another round. Get it. Try it. Learn to love it.

Even though I love Burley, this one was not a bell ringer for this piper.

Appearance and Tin Aroma: Lots o' Burley, mohogany, and dark leaf aplenty too.

Packing and Lighting: It's a typical C&D quality product.

Initial Flavor: Starts tart and spicy. A little harsh on the throat as well.

Mid Bowl: Still harsh on the throat, a little bitter as well.

Bottom of Bowl: Ends with an astringent harshness that I can't get over.

Overall: Not only did it repel mosquitos, it repelled me too! It has quality components, but it just never got into the zone for me. After 3 bowls, gave the rest away, sorry...

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

This doesn't offend me as much as it did our distinguished gentleman below. In fact, like Ewell Gibbons, it reminds me a bit of wild hickory nuts. The burley's basic nuttiness brings Sir Walter Raleigh to mind, though I like that blend more for its honesty & unpretentiousness. It's a less hotter version of Wilke's fragrant Nut Brown Burley & a toastier, more subtle, less cubed version of C & D Canal Boat. I kind of like this, and I'm already revising this review as I'm about 3/4 of the way down the bowl. Actually, it's a light, pleasant indoor first pipe of the day blend for an autumn morning. Though I don't accuse C & D of marketing gimmickry, I think they need to give some of this blending experimentation a rest. After all, they make over 200 blends, many of them the finest creations in all tobacciana. Stick with what's good & with what works best instead of splitting hairs, trying to satisfy each & every miniscule taste combination. I'm from the school of thought that except for adding flavors or extracts, there are only so many things you can do with burley, virginia, turkish & latakia. It's kind of like Mexican food. You can wrap it sideways, lay it out flat, stuff it the size of a football, give or take the cheese. But when you get right down to it, it's a taco served 50 different ways for heaven's sake! Ah, what the hell, keep experimenting, C & D.

Three of five stars

This was a much anticipated arrival in the mail for me, that to be quite frank, fell a little short. The tin boasts a burley based tobacco with Latakia and Turkish. I was expecting something on the order of Balkan Sasieni,instead what I got was a rework (albeit a better one) of Canal Boat.This is perhaps one of the mildest tobaccos on the market today.If the old drugstore blends had used quality tobacco this is what they would have tasted like. The burley definitely has a light casing and the Turkish and Latakia are almost non existent. This really falls into the category af a natural aromatic. The room note is very pleasant.The burning qualities are superb and the taste is actually quite PLEASANT if you like Canal Boat or a very high quality of Barking Dog.The tin states "will please the palate and repel the Mosquitoes" I can almost say they have that backwards. The flavor is good but flat and the aroma is pleasing,yet not sweet.If you like the Serad Serenity series this would be an excellent choice for you. Luckily I also purchased the new "REVERIE" int the Serad line and that is actually quite wonderful. I am such a fan of C&D blends but this one you could skip. I am actually getting a little annoyed writing this review. This reminds of when DANN TOBACCO discontinued Sam Malloy's extra stout and relabeled it "LIBERTY" without telling any one.I am almost tempted to say "Shame on C&D"I have well over 100 reviews on this site and I feel I have always been fair. This time I feel cheated. This tabac is nothing like anything else in their line. It should go the way of their other "Constipated Cockroach blend" and just fall by the wayside. I am sorry to say this is the 1st time C&D pulled a marketing ploy and got caught. Skip this blend! I'll still give it two stars on its own merits.Like I said- just buy Canal Boat.

morleysson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
morleysson (23)

I have had an opportunity to smoke a new offering from Cornell and Diehl - Evening RIse. I received an advanced tin before the Richmond Show and have been savoring the smoke. It's one of the few crossovers between the American burley-based/ latakia blends with a slight sense of turkish and virginia and cavendish. Very tasty w/o a cloying quality that virginias and cavendishes can impart. Actually, a few bowls into the tin, which is now empty, and there is a subtle natural overall sweetness. The bitter latakia offsets the blend nicely. Evening rise worked best for me in a larger pipe, which allowed the burley (rough-cut?) to set a base on which the other tobaccos build. Very reminiscient for those familiar with the old Philadelphia-favorite Burlington Arcade but more flavorful with the turkish. Highly recommended.