This full-bodied English mixture is carefully crafted for the experienced pipe smoker. Virginia and Turkish tobaccos harmonize with Syrian Latakia and a touch of Perique to create a taste that is resoundingly rich, spicy and satisfying.

BrandAshton
Manufactured ByKohlhase & Kopp
ContentsLatakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Where to Buy 4noggins.com
Strength
Taste
Full

PipeBot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeBot (7)

My first English blend was Nightcap and since then I've been searching for a tobacco as good as that. Commonwealth Mixture, Lagonda, London Mixture, 965 etc - all fine in their own right by not even close to Nightcap, for me.

The quality of Artisan's Blend is not only on a par with Nightcap, it is a superior smoke. Complex but consistently tasty. The peaty smoke of Latakia is there, of course, but it is occasionally joined by a flavour more akin to smoked meat, in a manner I tend to associate with Kentucky tobacco. This is a savoury tobacco, with just a hint of sweetness.

If you are a fan of Latakia you NEED to get this in your rotation.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the smokiest English I have yet tried. Smokey, sharp, and tangy. The Turkish is nicely balanced with the Latakia. The Virginias and the Perique round things out very nicely. This is a very well thought out blend. I'm impressed. I'm certain that age is only going to make it better. I'm loading my cellar with many tins.

McKNooB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
McKNooB (34)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Full-bodied indeed. Enough flavour to make this one a go-to- full-time-rotation. Nicely balanced Latakia and the perique is just right; not too spicy but spicy enough to warm to sub-cockles of the cockles of my heart.

I really like the aroma of this even smoke. Had some trouble lighting at first, aired out round two, and it burned evenly (though warm, in my Vauen, warmer than Froggy Mortons top two).

Anyone want my aromatics? I aint goin back. I'm just not. My goal was a top three, then five. Thinking...this will be in the former and I'm three for three with the latest order. (FM Cellar, FM Bayou).

You MOB (Men of Briar) who recommended this one to me...you da man. War Department likes this even better than the two Frog Men.

I am an Artisan addict now (after my first tin). Gonna put up against D Man's Nightcap next.

Love you long time Ashtons.

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (51)

Really a well put together blend. The cut is a finer ribbon. Easy to pack and light. I find Syrian Latakia to be more subtle than Cyprian. More of a background smokiness when this starts out with a good Virginia tang. The other elements seem to have a smoothing out effect. The Perique is only periodically discerned as a standout in my experiences.

Does best for me in a wider bowled pipe. This stuff really hits its stride mid bowl, everything kinda melds into a rounded creamy and smoky experience. It stays in that zone til the end if your puffing is careful and consistent.

This blend is very clean and refreshing and balanced. Most Latakia containing blends leave a coating in the mouth. This does not. My Latakia fave has been C&D'S Star of the East flake. It has an earthiness to it, this blend does not. Likewise, Dunhill Nightcap has this smoky charred wood punch, Artisans blend lacks these edges. It is more rich and smooth. I absolutely love the lingering aroma this leaves on the hands, clothes, and nostrils.

The tin states "for the experienced smoker". I disagree and would recommend to anyone looking to try Latakia as it is a very reliable and predictable smoke

gerryliao Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gerryliao (4)

If you hate this smoke, you probably either don't like English at all or you may need to clean your pipe thoroughly. When you smoke a pipe for over 5 times, the pipe would be gunky and cleaning tube is not enough. Using this kind of pipe you probably would hate every smoke. You may want to use facial puff dipping alcohol(no whisky or cognac please, it would be more gunkier and stinkier) to clean your pipe. Then you would realize why the smoke is so spicy and stinky. please do that after 4 or 5 bowls of smoke.

It is hard to find a replacement for the blend. It is in my daily rotation list with Penzence. But dont be misunderstanding, its character is very distinctive with P. P is more matured, but not as multilayered and vivid as Artisan. Penzance is good, but it let me fall asleep when puffing it. After I smoked Penzance, why not a bowl of Artisan? It always comes into my mind. Both Artisan and Penzance are decent smokes. It is thick but not harsh, spicy yet creamy,... full of Lat strength (maybe mid-strengh) but not going to knock you out, somehow bitter but sweet, very subtle but crispy sweet, which reminds me a hint of black java with milk and a little brown sugar not totally melted. Sometimes you even tasted the sweet. Topping? Maybe. But it is too natural to think it is topped, at least not as freaking topped as Mississippi River or Plum Pudding. Artisan is unbeatable!!! A must buy for each English blend lovers!!

BriarPatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarPatch (33)
Medium Mild Mild Tolerable

Preface: I have been smoking Dunhill Standard Mixture Medium for near-on 30 years, believing that it has no equal anywhere on earth. But it is gone now, and so I begin a quest for my Holy Grail: A substitute to replace the standard on which all English tobaccos are based:

Artisan's Blend is a fail. Cavendish & Perique being the culprits. Not being a Perique fan, I am obviously biased. But the Perique is the only thing strong or interesting here, the Cavendish making for a very mild and boring body. Seems to me English is a standard: Virginias, Orientals, & Latakia. You can change on the margins (add Perique = Nightcap)(add Cavendish = 965)(not exactly, but you get the idea...) But if you add Perique AND Cavendish, now we're into un-English territory. Artisans indeed.

Close to Nightcap? Nonsense. Traditional English? No.

Experience required? Hardly. Aromatic smokers inching towards English might wish to experiment here, if you've a taste for Perique.

meanska Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meanska (5)

My favorite English blend, so far, smoked in a pipe dedicated to English blends. Smoky, smoky, smoky aroma in the tin, which is a real attractant to me on this one.

While a fairly strong smoke, it is NOT overpowering. I personally love the room note, but my wife definitely does not (thus the rating).

Pipe Used: Stanwell

haredawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
haredawg (46)

I could have sworn I wrote a review for this. Seven months ago I loaded my Jeep with what I loved best, except my dogs who I left with my soon to be ex who I loved least. Turns out I carried so clothes, some photos, and my humidors and pipes and cellared tobacco. I came back here because I received a gift certificate for my birthday and wanted to see what y'all gave four stars to. I couldn't find my review of Artisans Blend. I dug through my movable cellar. Unopened, in a sharpie my own writing 4-15-2009. Yeah. I cracked it open. No, I don't normally have the patience for four years of cellaring (and god knows how old it was when I got it). If you do, I suggest you do that with artisans blend. I can't tell you what a new tin tastes like, but this one is mellow, sweet, complex, and the further down the bowl the mellower and more complicated it gets. I can't even describe how sweet even gets in the dark musky old whiskey and wood flavor, but it does. If any English or Balkan blend could do this I'd never touch a VA/PER again. If I had cellared twenty tins, I'd be auctioning off my humidors and aged cigars.

I'm going to get a new tin and see how it compares, then I'll either update this review or I won't. Four stars isn't near good enough to rate this, but four stars is as high as you'll let me go.

Reiny Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Reiny (5)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

I also disagree with the blurb on the front of the tin stating "for the experienced pipe smoker." People new to latakia blends shouldn't be afraid to try this one. Smooth, sweet, smoky, ignites easily and smokes cool. Great stuff.

AndreaRoberts Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AndreaRoberts (2)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Good overall blend. Not too strong, not to weak - ideal for a newbie by me.

Have to disagree with the aroma comments on here though. If anything, it left a pleasant smell to the room and one which didn't linger for too long. Picked mine up here: http://www.uktobacco.com/acatalog/Ashtons-Artisans-Blend-Pipe-Tobacco-48.html#.UqGVdfRdXh4

Purchased From: UKTobacco.com

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (96)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Forget the tobacco description on the tin. This mixture has Latakia, Virginia, fire cured Kentucky, Black Cavendish and Perique according to the Kohlhase & Kopp website. Now I really wanted to like this Latakia bomb. I usually like strong, pungent and earthy tobaccos. Maybe the old mixture was all that for the experienced pipe smoker but this new offering is disappointing.

The Latakia itself is very shy in the flavor department and works in spades. It is a bitter smoke for the most part that turns harsh for a few puffs then comes back to bitter with the too infrequent Latakia creamy like taste (a topping maybe). It smokes cool to a white ash and no gurgle.

While in Nightcap all the ingredients could be savored, in Artisan's blend you get a charcoal like flavor that could be interesting if it wasn't for the tendency of this mixture to turn bitter to a point that it becomes unpleasant with harshness.

I tried this tobacco with three different pipes, all Latakia mixture dedicated, believing that it was the pipes that were faulty. To no avail, the smoking experience remained disappointingly the same.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I really enjoyed the old Ashton line. I had smoked Celebrated Sovereign, Black Parrot, and Old Dog, and I remember offering four stars for each blend. The word was, they were manufactured under the McClelland brand.

I was distraught a bit to find that the old line had been eliminated and a new incarnation would be introduced. I cried foul, lamenting that a small user base is not an accurate reflection of quality.

Artisan's Blend is the first of the new I have sampled, and there are differences. The taste profile is different, somehow. I can't elaborate more on that, but it's a feeling I have, growing more with the readings I have incurred of frothy aromatics and sugary product. The blenders are distinctly different from the original inception of Ashton. But, that's not necessarily bad, right?

I have grown increasingly attached to this Syrian Latakia, and I cannot imagine a moment in which the supply may cease, other than an artificial circumstance of marketing. Artisan's Blend delivers the English, with Syrian in full. I understand that many have compared this to Nightcap, and though I do not fully associate this linkage, other than to say...if you want a strong English, with Syrian for Cyprian, this is your bet. It's wonderful, and I shall not back away from this assertion.

I am not a fan of Dunhill English blends and I am always searching for a good "English" from europe. This was it. A very nice alternative to the throat searing Dunhill blends being produced now. It reminded me very nuch of what "Nightcap" used to be. I think that says it all.Nice balance ,even burn, and a good Latakia flavor.Not for the meek! 3 of 4 stars.

ShredderBanks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ShredderBanks (2)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend is a absolute cracker it has so many nooks and crannies of which to explore with every smoke.

The Latakia gives this blend a nice velvety textured and thick smokiness to background which is for the first half of the bowl is the predominant taste. In the foreground the Virginia and Perique take precedence giving the second half of the bowl in particular a slight spiciness almost peppery and a very subtle sweetness from the Virginia's in this blend.

I would highly recommend this to pipe smokers of also ranges of experience as i do not believe in a "beginners" tobacco and i think this is tasty enough for the experienced smoker yet subtle enough for someone starting off and maybe wanting to try their first "English" blend it is similar to Dunhill Night Ca but also has some many differences.

If you get a chance to buy it, Get out your wallet

Adam.

polaris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
polaris (9)
Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

As i am an English mixture fun i find this to be one of the best i tried. Very nicely cut, even better than Dunhill 965, and packs better. When you first open the tin,leave the tabacco portion you will pack for a couple of minutes on your table, and then fill your pipe.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (66)
Medium to Strong None Detected Extra Full Tolerable to Strong

Definitely one of the better blends from Kohlhase & Kopp. Loaded with flavour and some nice texture as well, starts off with a touch of sweetness with some spice and a creamy mouth-feel. Then becomes deeper and fuller, the sweetness drops off completely becoming savoury and richer.

Moisture level from my tin was just right, not too wet. Very easy to pack, light and combusts very well, nice and cool all the way down to a fine powdery ash.

I recommend to combust the entire tin within 4 days or share it all with some friends. Even when transferred to a mason jar and kept in cool dark place it faded rather quickly, more-so than others. Many tins improve with some oxidisation, not this one.

Overall a very rewarding bowl albeit not for everyone, there's a lot going on here and not something to be smoked back-to-back, and I would recommend it as the last bowl of the evening, even after a cigar or two.

Further to that, this blend is closer to the lamented Dunhill Nightcap (Murray's version, not the original Duke Street version) than the current incarnation from Denmark which misses the mark significantly I would hazard, completely. This is not a Nightcap clone nor is it a replacement; however, about halfway down the briar a late-night Latakia fog manifests and it's a rather pleasant ghost . . . until next our next evening my friend.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (121)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a very nice middle of the road blend nicotine wise. Ashton really has put together a very good English blend here. All the components come together very nicely without any one of them really taking too much of a leading role. The moisture level right out of the tin in near perfect. It lights and stays lit well and burns to a nice ash at the bottom of the bowl. Very recommended.

meerschaum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerschaum (3)

Excellent tobacco but quite difficult to smoke right, gets wet fast and bites fast but when it works it works beautifully. Complex and Smokey. Has a firm place in my Rotation. Becomes better after it has been stored in a jar for a few months IMO.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

Similar Blends: Night cap.

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (109)

Rich, spicy and satisfying sums it up well. I would add smooth and creamy. Stays lit well on one light, post char, down the bowl. Definitely a four star blend.

Pipe Used: 35+ year old basket pipe marked "BR".

Age When Smoked: Wish I could crack the code.

Purchased From: CI, a month ago.

atomicbuster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atomicbuster (25)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This tobacco is everything it says it is. The only issue I have is that it is a bit too moist out of the tin. I should have let it dry out for at least 2 days before enjoying it. But I was impatient because it smelled so nice, so full of promise, so I smoked it immediately. The first part of the bowl smoked excellently. It was everything I would want in a tobacco. Great flavor, great smoke and absolutely no bite. It's an excellent tobacco. About 15 minutes in it started to gurgle and die out. I had to relight several times from then on and I ended up with mild tongue bite caused by heat of constantly relighting. I attributed the gurgle to the pipe I used. It has a small bowl and possibly a narrow draw hole. I decided to leave a few pinches of this in my travel pouch overnight and smoke more the following morning in my largest-bowled pipe. For some reason it required even more relighting and left me with more heat tongue bite. I can see why their ad says recommended for experienced smokers (I've only been at it for just under 5 yrs). I recommend you exercise patience and let it dry out, and surely you'll get the best out of it.

Ebo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ebo (1)
Mild to Medium Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I was so impressed with this blend that I just had to write my first review. It's not a technical review just a simple appreciation of a fine tobacco. I am normally an aro man & this was my first proper stab at an English blend & boy did I enjoy it! It took a few pipe fulls to really begin to appreciate all the different and subtle flavours & wow, that spicy kick is just great! A really creamy, smokey, quality pipe smoking experience that is easy to smoke and reminds me just why we all enjoy our pipe smoking so much. If you've never tried this blend then I would recommend that you give it a go.

Andz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Andz (4)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Normally, I tend towards aromatics, so I hope English blend officionados will forgive my lack of knowledge, but have recently been drawn to English blends, (after all we can't eat pudding all day,) and chose this one on the strength of encouraging reviews on this site.

50g arrives in a good quality, round tin, which appears to be fully airtight, with ghastly UK health warning sticker easily and immediately removed.

The tobacco is dark and appealing, in ribbons, not dry nor wet, and is IMHO perfect smoking straight out of the tin. Tin note is rich and intoxicating, spicy, and - though I confess I do not have the most sensitive pallet in the world - gave me licorice and pine nuts and, as with all quality mixtures, the sense that I would have to live with this one to find those scents that lurked beneath the first impression.

I loaded my first bowl into a medium/large Hardcastle Special Deluxe #4 Rhodesian, which seemed right, and I tend to reserve for English blends. The false light gave me plenty of rich smoke and flavour, and I probably could have got away with a single match. However I tamped down fairly hard and re-lit. The tobacco burns readily and evenly, but incredibly coolly. I tend to puff away a little over-excitedly when first trying a new tobacco, and the bowl never heated beyond warm to the hand. Amazing! The tastes were full on, giving me bitter sweet, more licorice, though it is quite subtle, (which I particularly enjoyed,) spices, delicate pinewood and sweet leather, reminding me at times of the smell of a good stout as it is raised to the lips. I tend to inhale through the nose as I go, and smelled pine again. Decent hit of nicotine without detracting from the experience which I find strong tobaccos can. I was expecting cigar tones in the second half, (which I don't like much,) but gladly none came. The flavours and scents remained unusually consistent, never deteriorating, though a more tuned nose than my poor old thing would, I am sure, detect some development. This fact however is a plus for this blend. I quite frequently find myself preferring the first half of a bowl to the second, and regularly finding unburned tobacco in the bottom when I clean my pipes. Without even thinking about it, I reached the bottom of the bowl. I found the blend burned a little wet, but not annoyingly so, and nothing a quick prod with a cleaner couldn't fix.

Two reasons this blend does not get 4 stars - I personally prefer sweeter tobaccos. And, for me (and my family,) the room note is of leather and wood and not much else. 3.5 is about right... If only we had a rating system out of 10. However, I get the feeling I will be fitting this blend into my regular rotation. Perfect any time smoke, as long as it's not at the dinner table! Recommended.

derlict311 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
derlict311 (65)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I gotta admit I wasn't very interested in Artisan Blend for the first half of the tin. I tried several bowls while fishing this spring and just wasn't feeling it so I shoved it in my "open tin" lockbox. Maybe I wasn't giving it the attention it deserves? Months go by and when I finally got back to this blend I was able to appreciate it anew.

The Syrian Lat has that special smell that is unmistakeable. When smoked, it is smooth and stimulating on the senses, but will sure put a hurtin' on the palate if smoked too hard or too often. It has enough Lady N punch to demand respect and gentle sipping. Very satisfying! For those who enjoy rich, complex blends...here you go.

After some reflection I have reconfirmed my position that pipe blends are very much influenced by their environments and quality of the company kept while puffing. Fishing alone on a toasty spring day would NOT be recommended for such a dynamic ditty. Artisan's Blend wants your time to itself without distractions, like a needy girlfriend. It has the potential to be a lifelong acquaintance and is therefore recommended for all serious connoisseurs of pipe tobacco.

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I enjoyed this blend. The inclusion of Syrian Latakia and its availabiity at a close B & M is what drove me to purchase it. It is only my second experience with the Syrian leaf (Frog ATP the other) and I found it more enjoyable than the other.

The cut is crazy long strands of tobacco and it was the most moist of any tinned brand I have yet purchased. The paper insert was soaked. It dried out nice and burned surprisingly dry. It is unique amongst english blends with the inclusion of perique.

With so many blends yet to try, I will likely not jump out and buy more immediately, but with so few options outside the internet being as convenient as this one B & M I will likely buy more at some point in the future. So recommended, but not quite four stars.

jhigh58 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jhigh58 (13)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Smoked a bowl of this after smoking a bowl of Peterson Old Dublin. Thought at the time it was flat, not very interesting. The next day I smoked a bowl of this first thing in the morning. Mild smooth, a rich but not a heavy rich taste to offer with the bright lightness of the latakia. It may be the Va but if it is it is not over powering. This is a nice blend.

steelcicada Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steelcicada (9)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

Fantastic, well rounded 'backy. Dunhill NC is it's name sake to my daily rotation and I must respectfully disagree that Artisan's compares at all. If one must compare, I would be inclined to suggest that it is more akin to Peterson's Ol' Dub. Smokey and leathery like POD but has a little nip of perique which tones down the creamyness that is characteristic of 'Ol Dub My first go at it was in my Pete's 304 System. Again, an ab fab English and a must try !!! Thanks, Merci, Diolch

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Artisan's Blend is a Latakia lover's dream. I like Latakia but tend to shy away from blends where the Latakia dominates, but this blend is so well done it can't be denied. The tobacco is of high quality, the supporting tobacco's round out the blend nicely without grabbing the spotlight. A lot of folks seem to compare this to Nightcap but they really are two very different blends. The perique is more of a player in Nightcap and “Lady N” comes to visit in Artisan's, but doesn't want to “move in” as she does with Nightcap. What they have in common of course is the Latakia. They are also both full bodied English blends. Artisan is slightly sweet and although not an all day smoke for me, it is a great ending to the day. Highly Recommended!

viscfab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
viscfab (81)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Loaded my Peterson system 302 bent with this tobacco from a tin I have just acquired in a busiess trip to Liverpool. out of the tin, smell is prettgood, the traditional campfire latakia is fully there. lots of dark leaf in it... Charring light puts latakia in the full front and this continues steadily adding a stronger spicy characteristic as the bowl runs down. Pretty damn good stuff here. I only thik personally that adding a bit more of Virginias to the mix would give it a bit more sweetness, the latakia predominates here and so it tends to get monotone sometimes... Don't get me wrong here, i love latakia full blends but I guess his would benefit from just two pinches more of VAs...

Updated october 15th 2011

This is an awesome english blend.... It evolved from the last time imreviewed it, maybe due to some oxygenation... Full rich delicious taste of latakia and orientals with virginias.

?pe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
?pe (41)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

Honestly? I don't think I could tell the difference between this and Dunhill's nightcap in a blind taste test.

This is a rich and sophisticated blend that is perfect for a relaxed, unhurried smoke.

DaveA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DaveA (4)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a very well put together English Latakia blend. While there are several tobaccos listed in the blend the Latakia definately is at the front througout the entire smoke. The smokey taste jumps out right from the start and dominates the flavor from the first puff. I am a Latakia so this was not an issue for me. If you are looking for something that evolves in the pipe as you smoke it you may want to look somewhere else. If you love Latakia and the smokey taste that comes with it you found your tobacco. The room note just adds to the experience, everytime I light up it's like sitting around a camp fire in the woods. This one is always in my rotation.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

This is an excellent blend, nicely balanced and complex. The tin aroma says smokie with a topping of some liquor,(Cognac, as it is the same tin note as Esoterica's "Pembroke" ?). The Syrian Latakia is smoky and out front with a sweet after taste from the Virginia. The Turkish tobacco plays a back seat roll and adds body to the smoke, no bite, no heat, no bitterness. I don't find the Perique plays any roll. Don't bother with this blend if you don't like Latakia, but if you do, I'd put this on my must try group. Tobacco mellows after a few days after opening the tin and will provide a great evening smoke. I'm buying more and will keep in my rotation

Updated 11/10/11- Tastes change, I find that the Cognac topping is more than I want to handle. The Latakia is lighter than I like and there IS a bitterness in the background of this smoke. I don't want to be overly negitive as this is still a quality smoke. I have found that I personally find this better as I get to the half way point in the tin where the blend has had time to breath, dry and reduce some of the topping.I find this an easy smoke, it burns easy both inside and out. I do find the first half of the pipe more flavorful then the second half, that becomes muttled. I will keep it in my monthly rotation

Updated 8/16/12 Wow I don't know "what I was smoking" when I made the above reviews ?????? I just opened a a fresh tin that is one year old and I get no topping, just strong Latakia and little else. It's not sweet from the Virginias, it is hard to find the Orientals. It's a smooth Latakia blast with a nice easy burning cut. This tobacco has it's place but I like more interest, some will find this 4 stars but I'm kicking this down to where I won't buy again. Just my own thing.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (83)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

A full-flavored yet immensely refined English blend. This is MY kind of blend. I have not a single thing to post in the negative on Artisan's Blend. When I get an urge for the classic Dunhill 965 I smoke C&D Tuggle Hall or this - different they are but conceived from the same base idea recipe wise, including the perique (drool, I love perique).

Ashton and Kohlhase & Kopp nailed this blend. The Syrian is a delight, the Virginia I suspect are high grade African (which I like), the Oriental formulation, perfection. I would not change or adjust a single thing in it.

Heady stuff. I am posting a short review because describing it here has made me want to load some up right now and head into my "wife-designated smoking area" and enjoy some as a nightcap.

Good show. A solid 4 Stars

tennjd2000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tennjd2000 (6)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

This will do when I don't have Bombay Extra to smoke. It is a similar blend, but heavier on the latakia and lighter on the perique.

M.Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M.Toney (53)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

This was the very first Latakia blend I smoked. After smoking mostly VAs, VA/Pers, VA/Burs, etc., I almost went into shock upon sniffing the tin. I remember that aroma from thirty years ago when I sniffed some from a jar at a local Tinderbox...a dry smoky smell. I just knew I wouldn't like it because the aroma didn't smell as good as the "Cherry Bomb" I purchased.

I've since come to like Latakia in a blend if it is not overwhelmingly apportioned. I thought this blend was a Latakia Bomb. Too much of it for my "delicate" palate. I enjoyed the flavor pretty good and thought this reached its peak when the salty flavor came through but it is very slight & subtle. There is much to like about this blend & I found it similar to Dunhill's Nightcap. A good English but did not make my top twenty. Therefore, IMHO, Artisan's Blend merits three stars. Sampled in a Dunhill 2S Shell Briar.

eamonclever Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eamonclever (45)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Good english mixture, very much of a "Dunhill Mixture". Very similar to 965 but a bit more gentle. Comes very moist out of the tin, but okay for me. I like to smoke in that condition. Good amount of smoke. N-factor is high but no torture. Latakia is fullbodied and nice as well. Easy to smoke - no problems from start to bottom of the bowl. Perfect tobacco to smoke while you work. Recommendation for starters who like to get in touch with Englisch mixtures.

Piper@thegates Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper@thegates (20)
Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant

Glorious ! I'd somehow managed to let my supply of Artisans dwindle during the past months while I was getting carried away trying other blends, usually the more English oriental blends. What a relief to find a tin of this in the post courtesy of a friend in Germany. Theres not much I can add that hasnt already been said except that this blend has to be one of the most under rated English blends out there and deserves far more recognition than it gets.

Some pipers may find the Latakia a little over powering in Artisans which I think can sometimes render the inclusion of the more subtle Perique as a touch unneccessary. having said that, after a few pipes of Artisans I tend to notice that the Perique makes its presence felt a little more with each bowl and the overall impression of this blend is one of a very fine well balanced, strong ( full bodied ) English blend.

This last tin I found to be a little on the dry side in the tin and compared to the likes of Old Dublin for example, a little rough around the edges. But hey, thats the joy of our hobby, Old Dub is more suited as a morning smoke while Artisans I feel, makes for a better late evening smoke. Still, highly rated and highly recommended.

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (53)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a good blend if you are looking for a full Latakia experience, you get hints of the other leafs during the smoke but the smoky flavor is the star of the show here. Very good as the last smoke of the day.

PipesterJim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipesterJim (44)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

Move over Squadron Leader - I have a new favourite English blend!

This is the first time I have had an English with Perique included and I love what the addition of this tobac seems to do in terms of adding extra spice and sourness to the 'treble range' of the blend.

What a shame that some genius decided to exclude Nightcap from the recent 'repatriation' of Dunhill blends to the UK. I never got the chance to smoke it, but if what folks are saying below is true (i.e. that it was in a similar ballpark to Artisan's Blend, yet even more full-bodied), then I think I am going to have to get me a tin from somewhere.

In the meantime, I am more than happy with this delicious weed. A rich, full, complex and satisfying English blend for lovers of the same, with sufficient vitamin N to make it a perfect evening smoke.

Full marks from me. I am ordering more.

Franz Josef the Rabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Franz Josef the Rabbit (6)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My most beloved tobacco. It is as sweet as it should be and as pleasant as it should be, and on top off all - as full as it can be!

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)

I want very much to like this blend more than I do, but I can't muster that fourth star. When it's on it's good, but most of the time it comes across as a bit too harsh, even when sipping. I like it, but there are other English blends available that are smoother, richer and more forgiving.

Merven the Great Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Merven the Great (18)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

In a word, Fantastic! Bought a tin from 4noggins and enjoyed it from start to finish. I agree wholeheartedly with the reviewer 2 below this one. Spot on! nothing more to add except my appreciation for this fine blend.

Requiem Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Requiem (36)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

Almost similar to Dunhill Nightcap and very good on its own, but less interesting.. flavors are just not as intense and deep as in Nightcap. Maybe a little lighter, too.

(dedicate a couple of pipes to Syrian blends and you'll be rewarded with the subtlety of that leaf).

pipesmoker87 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipesmoker87 (14)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

I am quite surprised about this tobacco. I always expected that it would be a really strong blend. When I fetched it from the tobacco shop where I had ordered it, I couldn't await to get home and to light it up. And....what a surprise!! It's not as strong as I expected. Of course, it's a forward blend which is recommended for experienced smokers only. But, it is rather pleasing and smoking it, you don't get a nicotine kick out of a sudden. It's very calmed and very well balanced. In the tin, the scent of good Latakia is very presant, actually it's dominant. An elegant, english scent. My tin had no moisture difficulties, it was smokable right from the tin. Lovely ribbon cut, which I love. I had no problems to light it, and keeping it lit was no problem either. It's taste is very rich and full, elegant and spicy. But it's not a Latakia bomb as one may expect from the tin scent. The Latakia here is dominant, but the Orientals, the Virginias and even the Perique are always presenting themselves aside the Latakia. A very bloomy, unique tase. Smoky, spicy and satisfyingly elegant and complex. Something I had never smoked before. It provides its lovely tase right over the whole bowl, even though the Latakia is coming to the forefront throughout the bowl, maybe somewhere after the middle. It burns very cool and I have no problems with tongue bite while smoking it. A very well balanced english blend in perfect harmony. A secret treasure. I have never seen it in any tobacco shop here yet. That's why I had to order it. And I will do so again. It could become my favourite

Poppy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Poppy (23)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend is a successfull. All pipe smoker have to try it.

The Commoner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Commoner (30)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

If you are an English Blend lover this is simply a must try. Exceptional quality. Nicely blended. It's complex but not scatter brained. sweet, salty, and spicy all in the right balance to my tastes and a very smooth mouth feel.

I also enjoy Lancer's Slices, Westminster, Stokkebye Full English Balkan Sasieni and others. But this is my current #1 "English" blend.

I cant' guarantee this will rock your world. We all differ in tastes and preference. But it is certainly an extremely well done English and you owe it to yourself to give it shot.

Grundie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grundie (26)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This was recommended to me as an alternative to Dunhill 965 and I'm glad I took that advice. This stuff is good.

It's very close to 965, but a little bit better if you ask me. The blend is more balanced with the virginia and latakia complementing each other perfectly.

It's has the right level of strength and flavour, not to munch and not too little. A great all-day smoke that doesn't get boring.

Tee-dub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tee-dub (48)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

On a bit of drying out and a little time, this tobacco develops a flavor and character virtually undetectable from a freshly-opened tin. I was more than a little disappointed at first, but my opinion has changed.

Anyone expecting this to be a substitute for Dunhill's Nightcap will find that it isn't. It's lighter in body and texture, and can be a wonderful tobacco without the baggage of inapt comparison.

Either some drying time or a shifting of my expectations has only increased my enjoyment of this smoke as a little time has passed.

I'll let others with more experience speak to this, but Artisan's Blend may be an illustration of the different character of Syrian Latakia which, at least in this mixture, has a lighter texture and subtler flavor than its Cyprian cousin. The match brings forth something like leather, which balances beautifully with the Turkish and Virginia, with just a dash of pepper.

My regard for this blend only grows. It easily merits 4 stars.

gmconklin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gmconklin (6)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I quite enjoy this blend. I tried it while on a random buying spree @ the local tobacconist and never looked back. I smoke primarily MAGNUM/GIANT pipes and this tobacco really opens up nicely in the huge bowl. I am a BIG fan of Perique, in fact I can still smell this blend now as I write (I am not smoking it presently...LOL). I found this to be a much better smoke if done so quite slowly and not with smoke billowing out of my mouth but allowing the smoke to subtly engulf your entire head, just enjoying the fragrance one puff at a time. This greatly enhances it's flavor (as it should). I definitely found that the strength of this one enhances as you make it past the 1/2 way point, although this may again be because of the size of pipe I smoke it in... Overall a great smoke for me.

Tortuga Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tortuga (17)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I will add a more fleshed-out review another time, but I had to add another 4 star rec for this blend. Very comparable to GL Pease's Blackpoint, but with the increasingly rare syrian latakia instead of cyprian latakia. Highly praised, highly recommended.

Medium None Detected Full Strong

This is one of the best English mixtures I've ever tried, with masterfuly balanced premium components. What makes this tobacco one of the best available, thou, it's the incredible rich Syrian Latakia used by the blender. I haven't tasted such a mellow, spicy, smokey and rich Latakia since a friend of mine had me try Blue Mountain Latakia bought in London many years ago.

Mr. Pease has complained many times of the poor quality leaf that today's market promotes as Syrian Latakia. He should really find out where K&K gets this stuff from. It's the real thing.

Smokey45 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokey45 (16)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Seeing that I live in the southwestern United States, there is NO way I'm about to call this tobacco spicy. However, it is indeed a very good English blend, but I don't find its flavor as full and as rich as G L Pease's Westminster, which to me, was a fuller and much creamier English blend.

This tobacco lights easily, and stays lit, which is always a nice plus for any tobacco. It is a particularly good selection to smoke in a meerschaum pipe, and can be enjoyed anytime of day.

HotSoup Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HotSoup (9)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is a good creamy smoke with a hint of perique.

that complements its creamy taste in a way that makes the flavor into something that you look forward to.

eat a bit before you smoke it its not terribly strong but definitely have some coffee with it. its is a great mid-day cup compliment.

its seems to dry out fast if left in the tin so maybe use a jar or a humidi pac or something.

this stuff and some boswells northwoods are great to switch out in a rotation.

Mike__P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike__P (87)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

UPDATE 3/29/12 I've opened another tin of Artisan's Blend and I'm changing my initial review. At first, I thought its abundance of Syrian Latakia eclipsed all other flavors and delivered a flat, monodimensional smoke. But after revisiting it, I've changed my mind. This is my favorite of the KK&C blends -- a deeper, more "serious" version of Black Mallory. There's Cavendish in the recipe, which mutes and mellows the whole affair, and the Perique is applied sparingly. The blend is dark, and the Syrian Latakia provides a smooth and rich flavor that is less acrid than other blends containing an abundance of the Cyprian variety.

The Turkish is less pronounced than it is in other similar mixtures by Pease and Fred Hanna (see Wilderness), and as such it lacks complexity, but AB still holds its own as a very approachable, satisfying Balkan. It burns beautifully, delivers an abundance of smoke, and is very well behaved even with an aggressive cadence. There's a bit of that usual KK&C sweet topping that purists may rebuff, but to me it adds a pleasant background note, especially during the bottom third of the the bowl.

Worth a try.

Javierchu_cai Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Javierchu_cai (6)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

Awesome.

High qualities tobaccos blended in a complex mixture. I love the perique of this blend.

chuckt808 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chuckt808 (7)

A great English. Very creamy, just the right amount of Perique. I've never had Nightcap but if Nightcap was anything like this I can see why it was raved about.

madamadam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
madamadam (7)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

A phenomenal blend. Full and hearty, this is a classic example of a Balkan style blend.

Lars Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lars (2)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

Can't stay without this tobacco for long. Tried several other Latakia blends, but no one so far can compare to this one. It doesn't always taste good, when I'm not up for it it's to bitter and tary in the mouth. I usually smoke it one bowl out of four, but when I really feel for smoking it's wonderful. Very full bodied, let's out big, thick clouds of smoke. Burns quite quick so sometimes I need to smoke two pipes to be satisfied. The taste is something like: smoke leather bitter pepper sweet wood earth tar. Maybe doesn't sound to good, but that's how i like to describe it.

mr.335 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mr.335 (20)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

if you like latakia you would love this tobacco otherwise dont try it.im a fan of english blends so i loved it.its a very good mix of latakia with turkish orientals and very little virginia so you wont trace the sweetness that much,more spicy than sweet. lovely mix.

Bigdadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bigdadz (27)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

If this tobacco is trying to be a sort of equivalent to Nightcap, then it has failed miserably. This is like a stronger version of those cross-over english blends like frog morton, trying to be several things at the same time.The tobacco lacks balance and is simply a mess. I would have to say that as far as Ashton tobaccos go, Consummate Gentleman is a better offering.

cheapsk8 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cheapsk8 (5)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

My goodness. "The Macallen" of Tobacco.

This is my top shelf tobacco. It is my "today is a special day, I'm going to smoke something truly amazing" baccy. It is smooth, creamy and well balanced. Never boring. Definately not to be smoked next to my wife. I found that after a cpl of months after I first opened it, it seems to get better everytime I dip into it. And it is so good I hold it in reverence and refuse to smoke it every day least I get bored of it. The other time I will whip this out is if I have been smoking english blends all day and want another pipe but need something to top everything else that day.

If you have not tried this, and you are an english/lat fan...you have too. Even if it doesn't do it for you, it is a benchmark point of reference you should have experianced at least once.

Pipe Used: Pete 303, Stanwell 103&199

Purchased From: 4Noggins

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

Dunhill Nightcaps rival my arse...

Didn't get any of NC's powerful blasts of nicotine. All I got was warm coal-like sooty air passing into my mouth.

Latakia dominant to a degree, no perique present that I could detect. I gave up on trying to detect the other ingredients.

Still it's a nice posh tin, and alludes to us marketing suckers to part with more cash for yet another unnecessary purchase to add to the 35lbs we already have stashed away in the attic or celler.

Artisan is not my bag really, Nightcap is a nicotine bomb, and is a far richer blend if you ask me. Still each to their own, give this Ashton's mixture stuff a go, it may just be right up your lungs this blend.

Which = 2.5 stars

Similar Blends: Poor mans Nightcap..

CaptainEnormous Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptainEnormous (17)
Mild Mild Full Tolerable

This is certainly a Latakia forward blend. For people who love Lat-bombs, this is a must try. My problem here is that the high proportion of Latakia overpowers the other flavors. I think this has been said before, so I won't dwell. If you're looking for a medium English, look elsewhere. If you love a strong, smoky English, this is a quality blend and could become a favorite.

prophets Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
prophets (3)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

I wanted to try something different other than my usual Dunhill Early Morning/Nightcap, so I picked up a tin of this on my way to Goettingen. I am fond of Latakia and Perique in English blends, but I found maybe this product has a bit too much of both to be really enjoyable. The initial aroma on tin opening was spicy, so my first thoughts were of strong Latakia, but the flavor on the first pull to the bowl bottom were not what I would consider well-blended; it kept shifting. If this is your sort of thing, then I recommend it, but I enjoy a consistent flavor throughout a smoke...

Additionally, I found this product to burn much hotter than my Dunhill typicals. If you are so inclined to pick this up, easy does it, unless you like tongue bite. It gives a nice hefty dark grey ash and packs nicely into the bowl. As I stated, my only complaint was the variety of flavor throughout the smoke.....

pipealicious Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipealicious (19)
Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

A very spicy latakia/oriental blend.

Opening the tin, you get a very strong smokey aroma, like a good campfire or a very smokey single malt whiskey. The ribbon cut is very dark and quite moisty. There were some dryer harder stems of tobacco which I removed from the tin.

The taste is rich and very spicy. The spicyness can be sometimes too much for me. It is also creamy and leaves a creamy coating in one's mouth. The room note is strong and is not always appreciated. It lingers long in the room after a smoke.

Smokes always dry and leaves no dottle. Produces lots of smoke.

Typical a late evening smoke. Wouldn't smoke more than 1 bowl a day of this.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Medium None Detected Very Full Tolerable

I am sorry for just 2 stars! Let me explain why I didn't like this English.

I think the Latakia proportion of this blend is too high. It simply overhelms. Unfortunately with that much Latakia it was very hard me to detect the sweet Virginia, nor the exotic Oriental. I also am not sure if the Latakia in this blend is a high quality Syrian Latakia, which generally leaves a nice flavor by sticking on the palat and tongue after finishing the bowl, and remains there by inviting you for the next bowl. This one leaves almost nothing like that.

The Perique also dissapears under the Latakia taste invasion. Its lovely spicy and bitter addition to the blends is just a dream with this one.

The Latakia lovers would apreciate this blend, and that's why I've added the second star. Next time I will get some Dunhill for my gentle, strengthful, and elegant English needs. When I'll need some cool and tasty Latakia I'll choose some Balkan flake.

Mike Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Toney (44)

I've mainly been smoking VA/Per & straight VA blends & I have now tried several Latakia blends. They all start off OK, but bite like hades during the second half. I'm giving up on English blends, but will still pursue the Balkans. Will probably start mixing my own. Moisture content seemed just right out of the tin & had a good burn rate. Strange how Latakia seems tasteless but you know it's there because of the smell and bitey/numbing mouth feel. It smoked very mild (inhaled) and had a fairly good nicotine content. This is a pretty good English that smokes well initially, but must be finessed during the second half. It's just not exceptional IMHO & therefore, I will rate Artisan's Blend two **s only because of tongue & palate discomfort which requires days to recover. Can only be smoked occasionally & couldn't possibly be an all day smoke for me!

sounds7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sounds7 (16)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Strong

The Tin Aroma made this a very promising blend due to the wonderful Syrian Latakia content and orientals. At first light it was somewhat like Sobrane only a bit stronger but thats where the comparison ends because as I made my way down the bowl the perique overwhelmed the smoky taste and became too spicy for my liking. I am really not a big fan of Perique tobacco in English blends and I think Perique should be reserved for Virginia and Burley blends and not Latakia blends, anyway I was a bit disappointed with the end result because of this. If they had left the Perique out It might have been one of my favorite blends. I will revisit the tin when it has some age on it and see if my opinion changes.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

If this is similar to Nightcap, then I truly missed something wonderful, however, in Artisans Blend, I have found something very special, for an end of day Latakia, this is constantly competeing for my attention along with Commonwealth Mixture.

Both are smooth, creamy, relaxing and I seem to be aquiring tins of both. Now, although Commonwealth more often than not, wins the battle for my attention, this is most likely due to the fact it is easier for me to obtain, but I always make sure that two or three tins of Artisans Blend are within easy reach of my grubby little hand.

UsaRet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UsaRet (17)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

This blend has been well covered so I will just add that I think Artisan's is destined to become a classic. (IMHO)

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This is one of the best blend I have ever smoked. It is really full, harmonised and easy to smoke at every time of day. Whatever Dunhill once was, this tobacco now is. The quality is superb.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

another strength full bodied blend knock on the head,,i reached half of my big bowl and startedto loose hearing,,this is a strong blend with lot of going on in the tobacco as u go further,,the only ingredient i missed out is the perique which i think its revoked by the latakia and the orientals,,but truly enjoyable tobacco burns perfectly and have changing taste and increasing strength, a kind of tobacco u devote a time to digest,,not an all day smoke but a friend of good times of relaxation,,no moist wt so ever and no bite in its dictionary,,my rotation have a place now for this good tin

smokinitnatural Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokinitnatural (7)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

I will start by saying that I am primarily a VA smoker. However I really like this blend. It just has something I was missing from my virginias. There is absoultly no bite, it burns well and smokes cool and dry. It has a wonderfull smokey aroma that reminds you of being outdoors over a campfire. While smoking you get a different flavor with every puff. I like to smoke it in my Peterson XL11, the large bowl seems to allow for full range of development that you might miss out on with a smaller bowl. The virginia and latakia are the front runners and the perique is just enough to let you know its there without overpowering everything else. I will always have a tin on hand. Very nicley done.

varg winter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
varg winter (11)
Medium None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

At the moment I write this review I smoke my last pipe for 2008, Artisan's Blend. This blend is very complete. During the smoke you taste for one moment to the other every single tobacco component used in this blend. Easy to pack and light it delivers full satisfaction.

Together with Consumate Gentleman the best blend in the new Ashton serie of pipe tobacco blends.

If you loved Murray's-made Dunhill Nightcap, this is the best replacement.

HumanBoeing Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HumanBoeing (12)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant

God, this stuff is delicious! I can't help but contrast this for myself with Peterson's Irish Oak which - and I stress that this is to my mind - just woefully overdoes the Perique. Here the Perique is certainly discernible but only so far as it is one - as it were - note in a gloriously rich and complex collection of aromatic chords. It's a bit like the difference between chewing a handful of cloves or in having just two or three subtly and delightfully permeating, elevating and exciting the flavour of a whole apple pie!

It has a belt to it as well, so you don't merely go 'hmm, tasty, but I still need a smoke!' - it's not a great stonking, steel-toecap-boot of a nicotine fix; it's subtly powerful: two pipes head-to-head is a robust double pleasure rather than a cause for a trip to the ER.

It's not easy to get hold of in the UK and it's pricey when you do: 50g cost me £9.50 in Selfridges this afternoon, and that's an 'ouch' to be sure - but it is a treat. So treat yourselves!

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a fine, full, English blend with moderate nicotine presence. No problems with quality at any point. It is a true premium product. I also really like the fact that Ashton switched to the flat, larger tins from the McClelland-type previously housing Ashton?s tinned blends. The tin I am reviewing has almost two years of aging.

In this medium to dark hued, mixed-cut blend, the Latakia is most noticeable from the tin, side stream and taste. It does have the fruity, herbaceous qualities of Syrian, but I think there is Cyprian Latakia, too. If you like Latakia in the forefront without total dominance, I recommend this.

For something so straightforward, there is subtle complexity, as the smidge of Perique shows itself, then the Turkish flourishes, all on a bed of darker Virginia flavors. I did get a slight, menthol aroma from the just-opened tin, but no other typical casing flavors or aromas.

I sense no toppings. There are no obvious humectants, either. It is actually a tiny bit on the drier side of proper moisture when I popped the tin. A pleasant surprise. A cool, happy-mouth blend.

This reminds me a bit of Nightcap, but far more refined, complex and behaved. Maybe a bit like Westminster, but somehow not like Old Ironsides, as AB is more complex, cooler and more interesting. I admit that I like this more than King Charles and Margate, two fuller-flavored English standby blends.

Good in a large pipe, but I like the concentration of flavor in a group 3 or 4. This suits me fine, since I like strong, Latakia blends in smaller, quicker doses.

I wrote my review before reading what my associates had to say. I find the Nightcap thread interestingly consistent among reviewers. I will enjoy AB this coming Winter.

BriarBurner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarBurner (29)
Medium to Strong Mild Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Here is a rich full-bodied English that does not hesitate in delivering a cool flavorful smoke.Since I am not a fan of perique so that spiceiness is its only drawback IMHO.

pipe_organist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe_organist (14)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

My local tobacconist had just received tins of this blend (it was new to him) the day I walked into the shop, on the hunt for a suitable replacement for the Sasieni Balkan that I'd nearly finished off.

I know that there are sources for some truly fine Balkan blends on the Internet, but with the economy the way it is, I think it's imperative to support the local "brick and mortar" store if they've got something worth buying. This is certainly it!

Although this is an English blend by definition, and lacks the requisite Orientals to make it a true Balkan, it is nonetheless a full-bodied, lusty smoke. In the tin it smells strongly of licorice. It is a nice thin ribbon cut, comes out of the tin with decent moisture content. It will probably work well dried out a bit, as it did fight staying lit about half way through the bowl. It had all of the typical tokens of a good, stout English blend with the tastes of smoky, spicy sweetness and hints of licorice. It did bite a bit at the end, but probably more because I was relighting and am a fast puffer.

As the description on the lid states, it is crafted for the experienced smoker. I will certainly continue snapping tins of this up as my standard English blend.

robo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
robo (6)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Tolerable

This is a winner. I am now just about to open my 3rd tin. The longer you hold the smoke the flavor just seems to expand.

The Latakia comes thru strongly so it is a must that you enjoy it which I do. Burns steady with few if any relights into a white ash. If you wish to try an English you will pleasantly suprised.

PuppetHead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PuppetHead (5)
Medium None Detected Full Strong

This stuff is really growing on me. It's very dry in the tin, but the cut is on the chunky side, so it burns well and smokes cool. I don't think this tobacco hits a bunch of different notes, but it's full bodied and tasty. To me, the flavor is predominantly Latakia, with the Perique occasionally coming through. I think I can taste the Turkish a bit, but I don't taste the Virginia or Cavendish (if there is any) at all. Lovers of Nightcap will probably find this to be a pleasant smoke.

goextremenator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
goextremenator (1)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Not being an experienced smoker ( smoked my first pipe 13 yrs ago )I have to say Artisan's is a winner. Tipically English in flavour, still tolerable by non-smoking friends. Its burning is slow and not too hot.I pack a bowl and it takes 2-3 hours till I empty the bowl, /no relighting/ meanwhile smoking having a chat with my wife or other people they usually find the room note pleasant - even my daughters. I pack my pipe with it in those evenings when I have the time for sitting outside the terrace and thinking about the pleasures of Life, or sharing thoughts with those whom I love. One of those pleasures I mentioned is Ashton Artisan's Blend....

Wolfpaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wolfpaw (37)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Ashton has a winner in their Artisan's Blend. This is a very well-balanced and flavorful full English mixture, with just enough nicotine so you know it's there-- but you don't end up falling on the floor in a nicotine-induced stupor. The Latakia is assertive enough so you'll always notice it, while the Perique is only a delicate counterpoint to the stronger flavors of the Virginias and the Latakia. A.B. isn't quite as "heavy" as Dunhill Nightcap, but is ultimately just as satisfying. I recommend Artisan's Blend to any fellow English Mixture fanatics-- give it a try and you'll probably like it as much as I do.

Sniper3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sniper3 (26)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This is a full bodied English. Really can't add much to the other fine reviews. I let mine dry a little - really doesn't need it though. A wonderful full flavor from the first match. You don't have to search for the taste - up front and stays till the end. Hate for the bowl to finish. To me its a well balanced blend no leaf fighting too hard. Yet the latikia is not far away. If I had to compare it to another avaliable tobacco, I would say HH Vintage Syrian would be close. However, Artisan's Blend has a fuller feel and flavor. Also, this is the driest tobacco I've ever smoked. A pipe cleaner used at 1/2 bowl hardly felt damp! Unreal. I'm using it right now to break in a couple of Dunhill Amber Roots - a tough job - but someone has to do it!

Kerdy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerdy (43)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a very nice English blend! I agree with so many of the positive reviews here and dont see any reason to repeat them. This and Squadron Leader are my two favorite English smokes with Arcadia a close third.

The only down side to this blend is it leaves me with a dry mouth, but thats certainly an acceptable problem and easy to accomidate.

Even if you dont like English blends, you should give this a try just so you know how you feel about it.

mrmiloboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mrmiloboy (5)

A nice Enlish blend. The aroma from the tin is stronger than the smoke but it still has a fuller flavor without being over powering. Probably my favorite of the three Ashton blends I have tried. No tongue bite which is a big plus for me. Being a cigar smoker, I find pipe tobacco to be a great change of pace.

Plex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plex (39)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

===Sept 10, 2009 === Revisited

So, this full, round, rich blend has been put aside while I tried others. Funny thing, those others that found their way into my favorites list were Va, Latakia, Oriental with Latakia. Funny, they all came to remind me of Artisan's Blend with little, minor or subtle differences. THose around have complemented and praised the room note, so I've upgraded that. But we don't smoke for others, do we???

This has so occupied my "special list" that since I first reviewed it I've acquired over 25 tins of it. This can be smoked all day, all week, and on and on ... This isn't for quick, light inattentive puff or three. It takes on differing presentations in large pipes and small. Each variant enjoyable and entertaining. Ignore the pretense and flowery, but affected, language of those that would demean this fine mixture. It is truly a classic and worth your attention. Artisan Blend requires your time and commitment as well as your attention to its flavor subtleties and nuances. They didn't name it "Mundane Blend" for a reason. See for yourself why!

======ORIGINAL ======== 2/21/2009

Room note? Who cares? To others this could smell like a swear pipe and I'd still love it, it is that enjoyable a smoke!

This is a tobacco that has a trait I love; it changes and intensifies as you progress down the bowl. I finish a bowl and immediately want another.

I like it. I like it a whole lot. I like it so much I've over a dozen tins in storage.

Did I mention I really like this blend??

Do yourself a favor, mooch, beg, or buy yourself some. You deserve a tobacco this great, at least once.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (135)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This is a full English rightly supporting the name of Ashton. Folks told me it was somewhere between Dunhill Nightcap and Standard Mixture Medium. That's right, but its more akin to Nightcap in my book.

Cool with plenty of natural body and flavor.

Roverboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Roverboy (5)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I found this very wet when I first opened the tin which made the first bowl dreadful, however after drying it by leaving the tin open for a while it greatly improved. This is a very pleasent tobacco with a nice spicy taste which won't be to everyone's liking, but I find myself reaching for this tin quite often.

Xious Sonenberg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Xious Sonenberg (9)
Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

It seems to me that over the years, I have attuned my taste buds towards rather strong English and Balkan blends. When reading my review, take into account that my favorite tobaccos tend to be on the strong to very strong side of the road, with taste preferences leaning to Latakia prominent blends.

In this department Ashton's "Artisan's Blend" delivers exceptionally!

When I first noticed this blend some time ago, I initially passed it over, thinking it to be some wispy aromatic. Somehow, I attributed its name to mean that it was a lighthearted blend, but I can surely see this as a tobacco that the old masters would enjoy. Leonardo da Vinci with a pipe comes to mind, although I tend to see this as more of a "Writer's Blend" myself, musing over an English Gentleman's club with old, wizened men playing chess before I'd picture Monet sitting down to a pipefull of this marvelous weed.

I hate to bring up old hat, but since the alterations to the Dunhill line, I have been seeking a replacement for my old friend and companion, Nightcap. Yes, I must discuss how Artisan's fills that void in my life, for while the flavor is nowhere near identical; it is reminiscent of days gone by, never again to return.

Upon opening my first tin, I instantly revisited the days of oaky and musty aromas of Nightcap's exceptional Latakia. This blend is done by Kohlhase & Kopp, the same folks that provide the latakia for Robert McConnell's "Pure Latakia" and "Syrian Latakia" blends, only in Artisan's, the leaf is far smokier and less sweet on the palate.

The scent of this unmistakable component literally assails you as it wafts up, firing up your olfactory senses for the treat you have in store.

Masterfully blended, the Orientals, Virginias and Perique bring a richness and well- rounded quality to the mélange that will leave any veteran English smoker screaming for more. Never a dull moment, the flavors are immediately rich and complex, right out of a fresh, green tin, but never one sided. The dimension of this smoke is remarkable, and it progressively offers you increasing depth as you happily churn away.

Upon initially lighting, the taste is woody, smoky and slightly sweet, almost cedary in its own magical way. If you smoke it gently, this quality never diminishes, after which a chorus of leathery arises with woody and peppery flavors that sway to and fro, never overly dominating the blend. Chimney puffing alters the pace to quickly bring spicy and peppery tones to the foreground, overshadowing the sweet notes entirely. Oh, how many memories that brings to mind!

You will derive the greatest satisfaction if you elect to smoke Artisan's in a medium- large to large bowled briar: Too small a bowl doesn?t leave enough room for it to develop and blossom. Personally, I've found that it is at its uttermost peak performance in my Peterson B5 bulldog fishtail, but your preferences and experiences will ultimately vary depending on your preferred size and shape of pipe.

When using the "Frank" filling method, I find that Artisan's requires minimal attention, with only occasional tamping and a few relights towards the very bottom of the bowl. It smokes perfectly evenly, cool and with no bite whatsoever and doesn't even leave a trace of itself behind when you finish, burning down to a fine, silky dark grey ash.

Like Nightcap, this has a strong room note, so if heavy blends offend those around you, you may wish to consider opening a few windows. As I am a lifelong bachelor, I have never bothered over such troublesome concerns, but if you have a wife or are surrounded by those easily offended by peppery scents, take this as a warning to observe caution before settling down with a pipe and a book for the night.

Concerning the previous review, nobody to whom I have spoken had said anything about Ashton terminating this blend, and it is still widely available in local tobacconist shops and on the Internet at very reasonable prices. You won't have to shell out $30-$50 for this as you would for a tin of Murray's Nightcap.

Unlike Nightcap however, the Nicotine level in Artisan's is only a moderate amount, residing in the green area between "a fair bit" and "just enough". It doesn't pack the wallop that Nightcap had, never punching you or giving you those wonderfully dizzying spells that were just perfect for retiring for the evening.

I can only attribute this to a lesser amount of Perique?while detectible in this blend ?which is never more than a background element. Rather, the blenders included it for a bit of body and in order to smooth things over and maintain a bite-free smoke. Perique (in small amounts) does wonders to accomplish such a task, and K&K chose the perfect dosage of it for Artisan's.

Certainly, if you are seeking an escape from the Cyprian heavy blends such as Odyssey, Pirate Kake, or Lancers and want a full, latakia dominant, but yet subtle and well rounded smoke, Artisan?s paints the perfect picture.

##30##

Seems like everyone is comparing this blend to the old Dunhill Nightcap..... And, I can only sing along with the choir to an extent. This one may be a little heavier on the Latakia and lighter on the Perique and is certainly lacking the depth of Nightcap. Both blends are heavy on the taste buds and stink up a room in a hurry (pleasantly so, according to my nose).

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

I have to admit that this is similar to nightcap and it does have more perique and therefore it is stronger in taste and nicotine!

Great quality tobacco but very strong!

A nice choice after a good BBQ meal!!! :-)

Doc Jake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Doc Jake (23)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This is an excellent comparison to Nightcap seeing as how it is not Murray's blend anymore. This is definately a mainstay in my collection now, just a good well blended English that can be enjoyed on its own. Anyone wanting to try an authentic English full bodied blend should invest in this. It is worth every penny.

thedstinguishdgntlmn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thedstinguishdgntlmn (8)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This is one of my all time favorite tabacs. A very heady English mixture with a slightly sour taste. You guessed it -THE PERIQUE! A very unusual Nightcap tasting mixture. The AMAZING thing about this blend is the metamorphisis it undergoes when you add 1 tablespoon of IRC THREE STAR EBONY to the tin. Oh, MY GOD! You will create the most amazing Full English crossover blend on the Planet. Ready to Smoke 1 minute after mixing. 3 stars by itself, 4 STARS after MIXING!

Latakia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakia (67)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Love this blend especially when I can smoke it alone without those who are opposed to latakia. Dried it a bit before smoking it in a large, maxima bulldog and it was exquisite. The perique adds the right spice to a full latakia smoke.

Burned very nicely and only took two or three matches to get through a big bowl. left a very nice soft grey ash. Many in t his review are comparing it to Nightcap so will try that at a few dollars cheaper by the tin. Not a smoke for a beginner or someone who likes a mild smoke.

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (68)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

The tin smell is reminiscent of Nightcap with that cheesy smell, probably the combination of Latakia and Perique that both posess. It is a very dark tobacco with some bright leaves but I do wonder whether all that blackness comes from Latakia, or whether there is some double fermented non Latakia leaf in there as well?! Also, the Latakia is of the Syrian variety and as such leaves little aftertaste, much like MB Syrian. Still it is a voluptuous, sumptuous smoke, rich with smokiness and a little sweet as well and I do think this is some sugary casing added! I would not say the nicotine level is very high, certainly not in Nightcap territory which for me is just as well. And while I am at it, please have a look at my review http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=C&TID=2603 Another great tobacco that no one seems to notice!

LostInDaJungle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LostInDaJungle (13)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I recently picked up a new "purple label" tin of this. A wonderful smoke. The tobacco was slightly moist upon opening the tin, with a mossy aroma. After fluffing the strands were nice and uniform with few clumps making for an easy pack.

First light leaves sugar sweet saliva in your mouth with a peaty flavor in your throat. Just a slight hint of spice on the tongue at this point, but the spice joins with a woody bark as you move down the bowl. The peat flavor got a little sour here, but the sweetness still lingered. The bottom of the bowl had all the subtlety beaten out of it, as the peat ad sweet disappeared leaving a nice woody, spicy smoke common with English blends.

The room note is of slightly heavy cigarettes, which can be good or bad. I like to think of this as my "break room" tobacco, as it burns cool in a small bowl, and the cigarette-like nose will be palatable to the other smokers in the break room. The wife could pass.

Since we all love comparisons... It reminded me most of Peterson's "Old Dublin" and a side by side tasting showed this to be a less sour peat taste, with an added sweetness that Old Dublin is missing. Slower smoking makes it sweeter, fast smoking makes it spicier... Getting it just right yields a very pleasant English. A great everyday tobacco.

theworldover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
theworldover (4)

I was recently in a quandry. It was a Wednesday evening, and upon arriving at work, and producing my pipe, I opened my drawer and found a complete silence from my current rotation of pipe tobaccos. I needed to smoke something to pass the 4 hour shift, but none of my tobaccos were speaking to me. I have a pretty diverse selection in my drawer, so this rarely occurs. Mac Baren Club Blend? No, I wasn't in the mood to deal with the spun cut. CAO's Patriot Flake? No, it's light sweetness and spice didn't fit the bleak, cold weather. Dunhill's Durbar? No, too strong. I had a long shift, and was not premitted to sit. None of the other tobaccos in my stock appealed to me for just these same reasons.

So finding nothing in my drawer, I turned my attention to the shop's stock of tobacco. After careful study, I finally decided on Ashton's Artisan's Blend. I thought about Connsumate Gentleman, but wanted something more full. Originally I was skpetical, because Ashton's aromatics tend to be slightly bland. This English was anything but. To proportion so many tobaccos in the way they were was masterful. No single one dominated this blend, and each contributed to the complex, richness of the smoke. It was woodsy, zesty, and had a very long finish. Throw in a cool burn all the way down, and you have a winning blend. Why only 3 stars? It had an odd tendancy to burn my tounge while I lit it. I've noticed this over a few bowls, so it wasn't a poor pack job; and I've never experienced it like this in other tobaccos I smoke, even aromatics. Very strange. However, don't let this detail prevent you from trying this superb English blend.

Helmsman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Helmsman (18)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

This is an outstanding blend! A friend of mine at work gave me a can of this wonderful smoke. Full of flavor. The syrian is perfectly mixed.

peakbagger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
peakbagger (41)

I find this to be an excellent blend. The tin aroma is earthy and smoky; the Latakia is fragrant and Syrian. The strands are string cut, perhaps a little heavier then I normally like, and are comprised of mostly dark leaf. I air out some of the moist tobacco and then gently pack my pipe. Two matches and we're on our way. The Syrian Latakia, the VAs and Oriental leaf are all there and full of flavor; I do notice the Perique but it is not overwhelming but gently adds to the taste in a fashion similar to Nightcap. This is a high class blend, one I will return to again and again. 9 out of 10 stars.

Adguru Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Adguru (20)

As Benson would have said, God rest his soul, "Artisan's Blend, I have enjoyed Old Dog for many years, you're no Old Dog." To a fanatical Old Dog devotee as myself, there is no replacement for that stealar blend. But, and this is an important but, Artisan's Blend is a very fine choice solely on it's old merrits. I am an English boy to my marrow and I love this blend. Not as it comes in the tin, but rather bone dry and crispy as Bambam's Fruity Pebbles. This is my new go-to tobacco and I'm going to promptly order 6 more tins.

preppypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
preppypipe (57)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

Others before me have done a super job in describing this blend so I'll keep my review of it brief.

This is an absolutely fantastic full bodied blend reminicent of the truly great Dunhill tobaccos of old.It has a slightly spicy taste which I greatly appreciate but know some others would'nt.I'm relatively sure the deer tongue present helps contribute to this.I would also imagine that it has excellent cellaring potential and I've already put several tins away for this very purpose.When I hear folks "wax nostalgic" about all the great blends that are gone I'm reminded of just how many even better blends are still around and being produced today.Instead of buying that $150.00 tin of aged Nightcap on e-bay,buy a bunch of this and stash it away.You'll be glad you did!

Highest Possible reccomendation preppy

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (74)

As a predominantly Matured Virginia Plug and Flake pipe smoker I rarely go outside this spectrum to try many tobaccos. However, I do from time-to-time re-visit some of the past pleasures in my 53 years of pipe smoking. Such is the case with this blend...

Back in the mid 60's I did smoke many of the full English and Oriental blends and enjoyed them very much. I had been thinking about picking-up a tin of English and decided to do so. I was prepared to shelf the tin for a few years but on a whim decided to give it a try.

Since I don't smoke these English blends often I was open to simply experiencing what this blend had to offer. After smoking this tin and enjoying what I would have normally considered a side journey for me, I was truly pleased at what this blend offered. Not a complex blend... fairly straight forward, good burn quality, white/grey ash, moisture content very nice, aroma wonderful, and taste that changed subtly throughout the smoke. I tend to taste each tobacco type particularly being a straight Virginia smoker and kept getting pleasantly surprised at this blends varying taste it afforded throughout the entire bowl.

With a maturing palate over the years and even the vague rememberances of the many years ago I smoked English mixtures/blends, I came away from this experience saying... I should like to do this again. Perhaps sooner than later. I have no intention of changing my usual diet of Virginia Plugs as my first and most enjoyed smoke but I do think this blend is worthy of those who wish to experiment with a reasonable English blend.

I do think that a few years of aging would make this blend even better and have decided to put five or six tins up for 8-10 years. The majority of this tin was smoked in a 1954 dunhill G4 tanshell OX bulldog.

UPDATE: 1/28/14 This blend I continue to enjoy...as well as other mixtures, especially those with a high content of Turkish/Oriental leaf. In fact, I enjoy straight Turkish 7-8 times a week.

Amos Iron Wolf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Amos Iron Wolf (7)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Having started with a bridge blend then moving on to Early Morning Pipe and 965, I went in to my local shop for a tin of Nightcap. On the counter was an Ashton display with tins for sampling. A small pipefull of Artisan's caused a tin to follow me home. As of this writing I am now metering out the last of the tin until I can get back to the shop in about four days. This is the main reason any of my other tobaccos are getting smoked. A long winded way of saying, "Yeah, I like this one a lot!" I will end up buying it via the net since my local shop sells it for about $4 more a tin. Except for that fix I'm going to need in a few days. I'll have to pay full for that one. Still worth it though.

For me, Artisan smokes cool, full flavored, and burns well, down to a nice grey ash. After a start of smokey Latakia, a pleasant sweetness comes in. I've found the flavors kind of dance back and forth throughout the bowl, spiced up a little here and there by the Perique. With 965 I always seem to hit a flat spot flavor-wise somewhere mid-bowl that I have to smoke through, then the flavor picks back up again. With Artisan's Blend the dance keeps going from first note to last.

Going back to a partial bowl is no problem; the taste is just fine and takes up where you left off. I would however, not do DGT with this, unless you just really want kicked.

On that note, the first few bowls of Artisan proved to have some kick. At least for me they did. Your mileage may vary. Actually it was more of a dreamy, finding my happy place kind of experience that just flowed across me. The effect has reduced some as more bowls have been consumed, but it is still a dreamy, smiling smoke. Just go easy at first if you are coming from milder tobacs.

I just wish the tin of Ashton's Gold Rush I picked up at the same time would have been as pleasant. I find it more a fool's gold, or me the fool for buying it.

Tastes keep a changin', but for me Artisan's Blend is my current go to smoke. When everything else is being cranky, tasting off, or just being an unpleasant smoke, I can count on Artisan to remind me that smoking a pipe is supposed to be a pleasure and a sanctuary. Over the next week or so I will be trying Nightcap and may post an update after I've seen how they compare for me. For now I'll have to go sniff the last little bit of Artisan in the tin with tear in eye as I ration it out until I can get some more. It smells nice in the tin too, btw.

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Minor update: A fellow pipester was smoking this while we were driving and I had a "revelation", LOL! This is Brebbia's #8 or #80 depending on how it is marketed. I opened a tin of #8 and lo! and behold! Same cut, same tin aroma, same packaging. Am I 100% certain? No, but I let you all consider it. Also, I know why I kept getting heartburn, the anise topping is what kept giving me heartburn. Another interesting thing I noticed is that the room note is remeniscent to the room note of the herb: "Deer Tongue". I feel so cheated.....LOL!

This is a excellent improvement over "Old Dog" or "Celebrated Sovereign", but still left this piper flat.

Appearance and Tin Aroma: Mostly dark leaf, some mohogany, and an occaisional lighter leaf. Smells earthy, musty. The Syrian leaf is not the same leaf that was used recenly by Pease, C&D, or McClelland. It smells almost like Cyprian (probably is IMO).

Packing and Lighting: This comes a little moist in the tin, you should leave it open for a little while (20 mins was enough for me). The medium-width ribbons packed easily. 3-4 lights max.

Initial Flavor: Earthy, dark, rich. This is definitely a latakia dominated blend.

Mid-Bowl: The richness is still there. The latakia still dominates. The other leaves are muted, too much IMO.

Bottom of Bowl: A decent amount of strength build up, can leave pipe a little moist, PG is noticable in the the shank of your pipe too.

Overall: I was really curious to find what Bill Taylor was going to get as a replacement for his now discontinued MC blended tobacs. While this blend is better overall, I found it too bland to make it a go to blend. I love latakia laden blends, but in this blend, I found nothing particularly special to keep me coming back. There was no tendency to tongue-bite due to the richness of flavor available, though. There was a chocolate, earthy, molasses flavor from the natural tobacs in this that I found a little cloying (similar to Mississippi Mud). The Perique is low enough that it does not give me allergies (thank you!). Unfortunately, something in this blend provoked heartburn in me everytime I smoked it (PG?).It tastes "almost" like Margate, it tastes "almost" like Preludio, it tastes "almost" like Nightcap. All in all an "almost" English style blend. Not good enough for this piper. I finished my 50g. tin, but do not plan on buying anymore.

Giant Killer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Giant Killer (2)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Hello All-

Here goes with my first review. Please pardon my neopphyte-isms.

Aston's Artisan's Blend is a heavy latakia based English. Straight out of the tin, the moisture content is a bit too moist for my liking. I left the lid off of the tin for about a week before this review. It still isn't changing my life. It's pretty one dimensional overall. I love full English blends at night and smoke mostly straight Virginas through the day. I'll occaionally dabble in VA/ Perique blends for daytime smoking as well. This just isn't my cup of tea. For my money, I'll take Penzance, Odyssey, Nightcap, 965, Rattray's Red, or even Balkin Saseni over this one any day. I cannot honestly reccommend this effort at over $12.00 USD for a 50g tin. It's a pass for me. I won't buy this one again.