Dark stoved Virginia and fiery red Virginia mixed together in one of our most popular blends.

Brandpipesandcigars.com
Blended ByScott Bendett
Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)

This USED to be my main daytime smoke. Sweet and a little twangy once you get it going. Tastes good during the day. A little weak for my pallate by dinner time though. Thats the time for english blends. Still if money is tight or you simply smoke way too much to consider tins this is an excellent value. In my case I am simply aging mine in mason jars since I found something else I like.

Update 9/15/08: I am not smoking this anymore or the mclelland 5100 that this apparently is. I say this because there is some kind of humectant in this that prevents this from drying really. I do not like this much moisture in my tobacco and I do not like the fact it takes 4 days for it to dry somewhat where a real unchemmy tobacco will dry from a few hours to overnight- Even Mc 2000 which is lightly flavored- (not cased) dries overnight. I do not like something such as humectant added to my smoke it concerns me as to what it is. It behaves like a cased aromatic in the respect to drying.

It is smokable. I would reccomend other Mcclelland tobac such as 2000, 2010, 2020, 2035, #27, #24, #22, Christmas cheer, They are a real enjoyable VA experience all the way. This is a steamboat ride that won't end after mid-bowl. I can not get a dry smoke off this and I can off all the ones I just mentioned with ease. I refuse to have to stick cleaners in my stem while smoking or feel the burn of steam. I am seasoned and know how to get a good moisture/smokabilty balance. This falls way short.

This might be ok for a newbie, not for me. The initial taste is decieving. I have smoked pounds of this. I know what I speak of.

str8blastpot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
str8blastpot (6)
Mild None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

this is one extraordinary tobacco. not over sweet. not over pungent. voluminous, spectator fricndly aroma. nice burning qualities and better than fair price for the quality. one of three i have difficulty choosing from. i'm grateful that each is different enough from the others to allow an easy choice. if i'd bumped into this tobacco 30 years back, i'd still be smoking it. i find an all bright Virginia or an all stoved Virginia a bit much at times and this one puts me comfortably in the zone every time i reach for it. remarkable spicey caramel feel with a creamy texture. perhaps i'm too easy to please, but i don't think so. if people could consistently be of this high caliber, i might be inclined to enjoy them more.

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (109)

Lights easily, all the way on one light, post char. Pleasant all-Virginia room note and flavor. Pepperiness on the retrohale. Don't pick up any casing, just good pure VA with a touch of natural sweetness. 4*.

Pipe Used: Grabow Freehand

Age When Smoked: unknown; at least one month

Purchased From: P&C

Similar Blends: Rattray's Red Rapparee without the latakia..

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Are you looking for a mild Virginia, no bite, subtle sweetness and you can smoke all day , than this is it. I really think this, it is just McC 5100 Red Cake without the vinegar. I happen to like McVinegar, I feel it brings a nice "Twang", that is missing in this one. I can get both in bulk , so McVinegar wins, but this is still nice.

updated 1/30/14 - after smoking this over the past month , I've noticed a very mild Lakeland Floral taste in this blend. It is very well done and just a hint. I normally hate LF, but I can get by with this, but this blend will never make it to 4 stars for me.

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: new bulk

Similar Blends: McC 5100 Red Cake ( with LF), McC bulk 5115 Old world classic cake.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 9

After Taste = 9

Raw Score = 57

Rated Percentage = 95%

Comment = Very Smooth, Very Mild, Mellow with a great Flavor, this tobacco is yummy

I was disappointed by this blend. It burns wet and even after drying it before smoking, doesn't give me the rich red Virginia taste that it ought to. It's not very complex, and rather ordinary for a tobacco of this kind. I'm sure aging would improve it, but there's so many other types of this kind around, so why bother? Possibly the only predominately red Virginia blend that's ever really let me down. You could spice it up perique, but Louisiana Red is already made by this company, and is of much higher quality. For straight red Virginia, buy Red Cake. It's much better.

brogreggblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brogreggblues (45)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

What a nice surprise! Old Red is not a blend I would ever have ordered for myself, but I'm glad I did. I bought a 2 oz bag for a friend, back in January 2012. He didn't want it, so this baccy has been aging since then. Out of curiosity, I tried some today. What a sweet, smooth, pleasure! Rich and flavorful, yet mild enough for all day, Old Red is rich and complex. Very pleasant, and unique. Four big stars.

I just finished 2 oz. of this great blend after 3 years of ageing in a mason jar, and beyond any doubt it's one of the best Virginias I've ever smoked. To make it short: this is Blackwoods Flake minus the vinegar taste. And Blackwoods Flake is one of my all-time favorites.

nater3525 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nater3525 (3)

I had a pipe of this today I really enjoyed it! good smoke for a great price. for me the blend was very moist i tried some that i dried and compared it to the non-dried. The dried was much better.

HokieGeek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HokieGeek (23)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

7/26/2011: I might have not been ready for this tobacco yet. It wasn't bad, but I found it extremely one-dimensional and a little bit bland at that. I'll give this guy some time, of course and try it out a few more times before giving a final verdict, but that's where I currently stand.

8/24/2012: I've smoked 3 bowls of this now and have gone completely 180 on it. This is a delicious and interesting and have been enjoying it much, much more. A definite keeper!

Coltrane Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coltrane (26)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a nice virginia blend that reminds me of McClellands Blsckwoods Flake, only difference is the tobacco is fully rubbed out and the reds are more dominant in this mix. The flavor is very smooth and creamy for a virginia and has a nice aroma as well. Me being an English fan this one can be a little one demensional but will provide a decent change of pace for rotation.

I would highly recommend this blend for seasoned smokers; new smokers may not like it so much.

ferncourt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ferncourt (11)

Very good, natural tobacco taste at a very good price.

I have been trying a lot of VA's lately, after many years I have developed a taste for them and have tried many really good ones. I ordered this blend as I have read good things about it and as it's readily available for a good price and became an everyday blend, then that would be nice. It looks in the pouch to be a mix of fermented red ribbon and a rubbed out partially dark Va with a very tart, peaty aroma. It is pretty moist and even with an overnight drying period it retained it. It packed easily into my pipe and was a little hard to get lit. After several attempts, I sat back with it and a cup of good Irish tea. It is a nice mild blend with no tongue bite and it had a very natural flavor but not sweet. I like my VA's to taste sweet and in this area this blend disappointed me. It was very mellow while smoking, required a couple of relights and smoked down to the ver y bottom of the pipe to a dark grey ash and no dottle. It did not leave any moisture in my pipe and it produced a great amount of smoke. It never smoked hot even when pushed. I have to say that it was very pleasant smoke but nothing notable at all. I have had much better blends of it's type of late. I am going to mason jar it to age and see if that improves it which I suspect it will.

BoJackson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BoJackson (4)

I am normally a Virginia Flake smoker. Upon receiving my first order of Old Red I packed my pipe lightly and fired it up. I found the back of my throat tickle with each puff and began to cough. I made it thru the first pipe full and decided to try packing the Old Red very tight. Low and behold I experienced a very different pipe of tobacco. It was very smooth and sweet. This is a great Virginia for all day smoking. I will be ordering more in the future.

Packer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Packer (56)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Finally.....A great Va. bulk blend at an affordable price. Scotty has a winner. As stated in the description this is pure Va.(red, and stoved) fully rubbed out and ready for the match. My pouch came just a little moist for my taste. The aroma has a rich fermenting scent. The pack, light, and burn is very good. The taste is smooth, sweet, and spicey. I have found a few (very few) blends that have IMHO a better flavor. For the difference in price I will give this fine house blend four stars, and will be ordering more for the cellar.

Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

It's pretty easy to see why this is one of Scotty Bendett's more popular blends. It's mild, mellow and very tasty, with all the hints of woodsmoke and caramelized brown sugar you get with a Virginia blend.

I can picture this stuff in a forest green tin, with an Irish Setter on it! A good reliable companion.

If you factor in how affordable this stuff is...quite a bargain.

So, I can see this being a regular blend for me, as I have been looking for a bite free Virginia, without the sticker shock of some of the imported blends. This may be made with McClelland tobacco, but has been mellowed enough to remove most of the vinegar tang they have.

If you like your tobacco on the natural side, by all means try some. I think you will be pleased.

Sailorjack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sailorjack (57)

I recently took up pipe smoking after a 5yr affair with cigars.I got tired of cigars and returned to the more civil and enjoyable ritual we know as pipe smoking. I used to smoke primarily Heavy English and Oriental blends so I went back to them again on my return but oddly enough although they were still enjoyable I knew I was looking for something else. I have starting exploring the world of American Burley type blends. I enjoy a good straight Burley but I knew once again I was looking for more. Then I tried Half and Half blends and I like those even better. I had so much straight Burley on hand that I thought I would buy some good inexpensive Virginias to make my own homemade Half&Half blend. That's where Old Red comes in.

I know there are a lot of straight Virginias smokers here but I did not enjoy the couple I tried years ago and got discouraged. I ordered a pound of Old Red on the reviews I read here. Of course you have to try a tobacco straight by itself before you use in in blending. Lo and Behold , Wow I really like this stuff. The in the pouch aroma is a little strange, something akin to Balsamic vinegar. Upon lighting it is a whole different world.Great natural quality tobacco flavor with a touch of sweetness and man I love the aroma of the smoke. I just love French inhaling this stuff. It's on the mild side but never boring , and no tongue bite. There is probably not enough nicotine for you nic-junkies but it suits me just fine. I can puff Old Red mindlessly or lay back in a more comtemplative mood with it just as well.

This could be a all day smoke for many but I am incapable of smoking the same thing day in and out but if forced to choose just one this would definitely be a strong candidate.

Simple,Sweet,Tasty Virginia with a great aroma and at less than $25 for 1lb. delivered this is my choice for the best tobacco value that I have ever encountered.

ollievon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ollievon (8)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I put this at the top of my list for "camping" tobaccos! Old Red has an incredible mellow taste and the room note is fantastic. Upon the first smell of the tobacco I thought "Wow, what a great pipe smoke for a walk in the Adirondacks!".

A winner every time in my book!

huffnpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
huffnpuff (44)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

To begin with the aroma smells like hay-grass on the sweet side.My pouch came a little moist and was pretty easy to light. I think it would be better if it had some perique but then it would be louisana red but its still good . My session ended with a nice grey ash. The tobac has a little bit of a nicotine kick but not to strong.

try some you might like it.