Scotty’s English Stout is a dark and robust English blend consisting of a substantial amount of smoky Cyprian Latakia combined with fine quality sun cured Orientals and ebony colored stoved Virginia; an excellent late evening smoke. Latakia, Latakia, Latakia... This blend reeks of a campfire on a very cold night. This is a very heavy blend.

Brandpipesandcigars.com
Blended ByScott Bendett
Strength
Taste

2.7
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I find this one boring, a one trick pony. The Latakia used here is a nice one, but the Perique and Virginias are way, way, in the background. Too much so. Not enough sweetness either, making it a touch bland. As is, I give it 2 stars.

This is much more to my liking after adding some sweetened Black Cav to it. Bumps it up to 3.

Medium in body and flavor. No burn issues.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, MM Mark Twain

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

thomasanswered Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thomasanswered (11)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Very Pleasant

For the tongue that wishes the boldness of a tobacco to be unbroken throughout, the flavors vying yet never receding fully, the latakia salting up the smoldering mossiness, highlighted with plumminess.

Briar Viking Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briar Viking (1)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Not nearly enough latakia. Very disappointed with this blend as the latakia is not what I was expecting. I will be jarring and aging to see if that helps and will let you all know how that goes.

Pipe Used: Stanwell brushed black

brashboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brashboy (84)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Extra Strong

Scotty’s English Stout is a definite lat bomb, a bit one-dimensional compared to similar blends. But, having said that, I’m not sure there are any comparable blends. Did I mention this is really, Latakia-heavy? This blend is for guys who smoke lat bombs and still complain they’re lacking in Latakia. Not that strong in the nicotine department, but the taste is very full-bodied, good tobacco flavor. I find it very rich and it gives off rich, heavy clouds of tasty, tobaccoey smoke… what more elegant reviewers would call a great mouth feel. As reviewer Professor put it well, this blend is a feast for its target audience. It’s not something I’d want every day, but it delivers the goods for an English-style blend, never doubt it. In a strange way, it reminds me of Semois – not the flavor but the straight-ahead intensity of the featured leaf (Burley cultivar vs. Latakia). Go easy, or it bites. Had to let mine dry out for a half hour. I’d smoke it. I’d buy it. The price is right.

Pipe Used: Certified Purex pot

Age When Smoked: few months

Similar Blends: H&H - Larry's Blend.

oldredbeard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldredbeard (4)

My new favorite English. It has enough Virginia to give it just a touch of sweet, with enough Perique to add a little spice, and enough Latakia to satisfy, without being overpowering. I ordered a 4 oz sample, then 4 lbs. I like it for an all day smoke, with no bite.

Pipe Used: Clay, Meershaum, Briar and even Brylon.

Age When Smoked: Fresh from online vender

Burn = 1

After Taste = 1

Raw Score = 6

Rated Percentage = 10%

Comment = I am not a Latakia Fan so I defer to others for an objective rating of this blend. I got this blend in a sampler package with Scott'y Old Red, Milk and Honey and Butternut Burley which were all 4 Star blends.

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I like this blend but it could be better. It is very similar to Mclelland 5110. Rich and full but smooth at the same time.

If you want more of a kick, try Larry's blend.

Sort of like the 5110 in taste but not quite the burn characteristic and a little less complex in taste. A little wet towards the bottom third of the bowl but not the worst I've seen.

I would rate it higher if it stayed lit and was as forgiving as the 5110. Otherwise a good solid smoke if you don't mind relighting more often. It is one of those that makes you puff more often in an attempt to keep it going only to end up with a wet bowl. I will try drying it out a little. Things may improve.

Only bites if you try to smoke till nothing is left. I just cant get a dry finish off this stuff. Not too bad for newer english smokers or if money is tight. For me the 5110 is worth the extra few bucks.

Update: this and the mcclelland I mentioned seem inferior now after smoking G.L. pease blackpoint.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Either my bag of English Stout was wrongly labelled or my tastebuds have not reacted well to this blend. The appearance is of largely very dark tobaccos cut into chunks that are somewhat moist. The aroma in the bag is that of latakia. But this is no Pirate Kake or Old Ironsides - it is nearer a mild all-day English. It smokes cool down to a fine grey ash and is a fine blend on the whole, but not quite the latakia bomb I was expecting. Larry`s Blend is much fuller.

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (75)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

I have so many tobaccos in mason jars that sometimes blends are lost for a month or two. This is one such blend that I pulled out of the back cabinet and smoked today - what a surprise!

It is like a mellow pirate kake, minus the blocked form. This is mellow on the nicotine and strength level - very smooth. THe Latakia tastes excellent. The smoke is volumous and soft.

Images and feelings evoked from this blend are remniscent of a month-long vegetarian resorting to his prior carnivourous ways as a wild hyena is roasting on a spit over a campfire. The anticipation of consuming flesh and the remarkable sating of such an appetite brings mirth and good cheer to the diner.