Latakia, Latakia, Latakia... This blend reeks of a campfire on a very cold night. This is a very heavy blend.

Brandpipesandcigars.com
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable

3.2
oldredbeard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldredbeard (3)

My new favorite English. It has enough Virginia to give it just a touch of sweet, with enough Perique to add a little spice, and enough Latakia to satisfy, without being overpowering. I ordered a 4 oz sample, then 4 lbs. I like it for an all day smoke, with no bite.

Pipe Used: Clay, Meershaum, Briar and even Brylon.

Age When Smoked: Fresh from online vender

Burn = 1

After Taste = 1

Raw Score = 6

Rated Percentage = 10%

Comment = I am not a Latakia Fan so I defer to others for an objective rating of this blend. I got this blend in a sampler package with Scott'y Old Red, Milk and Honey and Butternut Burley which were all 4 Star blends.

thomasanswered Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thomasanswered (11)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Very Pleasant

For the tongue that wishes the boldness of a tobacco to be unbroken throughout, the flavors vying yet never receding fully, the latakia salting up the smoldering mossiness, highlighted with plumminess.

nater3525 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nater3525 (3)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I smoked this tonight and was very pleased! I am new to smoking only been smoking for about 2 months and I liked it. I was a little nervous at first but was pleased. It was smooth and did have a strong latakia note to it! My package was also moist and I dried some before I smoked for about an hour but still needs more. I will update this review once i smoke it again and have dried it out more.

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I like this blend but it could be better. It is very similar to Mclelland 5110. Rich and full but smooth at the same time.

If you want more of a kick, try Larry's blend.

Sort of like the 5110 in taste but not quite the burn characteristic and a little less complex in taste. A little wet towards the bottom third of the bowl but not the worst I've seen.

I would rate it higher if it stayed lit and was as forgiving as the 5110. Otherwise a good solid smoke if you don't mind relighting more often. It is one of those that makes you puff more often in an attempt to keep it going only to end up with a wet bowl. I will try drying it out a little. Things may improve.

Only bites if you try to smoke till nothing is left. I just cant get a dry finish off this stuff. Not too bad for newer english smokers or if money is tight. For me the 5110 is worth the extra few bucks.

Update: this and the mcclelland I mentioned seem inferior now after smoking G.L. pease blackpoint.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Either my bag of English Stout was wrongly labelled or my tastebuds have not reacted well to this blend. The appearance is of largely very dark tobaccos cut into chunks that are somewhat moist. The aroma in the bag is that of latakia. But this is no Pirate Kake or Old Ironsides - it is nearer a mild all-day English. It smokes cool down to a fine grey ash and is a fine blend on the whole, but not quite the latakia bomb I was expecting. Larry`s Blend is much fuller.

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (74)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

I have so many tobaccos in mason jars that sometimes blends are lost for a month or two. This is one such blend that I pulled out of the back cabinet and smoked today - what a surprise!

It is like a mellow pirate kake, minus the blocked form. This is mellow on the nicotine and strength level - very smooth. THe Latakia tastes excellent. The smoke is volumous and soft.

Images and feelings evoked from this blend are remniscent of a month-long vegetarian resorting to his prior carnivourous ways as a wild hyena is roasting on a spit over a campfire. The anticipation of consuming flesh and the remarkable sating of such an appetite brings mirth and good cheer to the diner.

bushi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bushi (12)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

This truly delivers on the Latakia. An absolute treat if you are a fan of such types of tobacco. If you are looking for complex try something else. If you need a huge Latakia fix this is your ticket.

Bowser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bowser (13)
Medium None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Normally I won't review a tobacco without smoking it at least twice. Here we find an exception. In fact, I'd made up my mind about this blend before I dumped half a bowl. And the dumping was not by choice.

The description provided by the blender is quite accurate. This is most definitely not a beginner's blend. If you don't like Latakia, run away. Run far and very fast. I, on the other hand, like Latakia. And I do mean I really like the stuff.

I received this blend in the mail, and I promptly pulled it out of the box to give it a whiff. It has quite a strong smell, so much so that it can be smelled through the bag. There are a few lighter bits of tobacco thrown in, but the vast majority is dark.

After packing up a bowl and lighting it, I was rewarded with a very full and smoky flavor. The flavor held true throughout the bowl, and bit the tongue only when smoked extremely quickly. It smokes cleanly and leaves no junk in the bottom of the bowl.

Unless you're a die-hard Latakia freak, this is probably not the best choice for an all-day smoke. But as long as I have some on hand, I'll smoke it at least once a day.

Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Professor (67)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Blended by Scott Bendett, owner of Habana Premium Cigar Shoppe (PipesandCigars.com), English Stout is a solid smoke that I have been enjoying for several months. If Larry's Blend is an 'amped-up' Ten to Midnight, English Stout is an 'amped-up' Old Lodge (all blends that I have reviewed and that are created by the fine people at PipesandCigars.com). English Stout, true to its description, certainly is Latakia-heavy. It lacks some finer nuances, but for the lover of English blends it is a feast and is undoubtedly, like its name, strong of character (notwithstanding finer detail). I do not note any casing in smoking, but the weed does stay curiously aromatic-like moist hence the rating. Still, if one likes Latakia, this is certainly a blend smoke. Indeed, I have great respect for Scotty--because of what he has achieved as a tobacconist--and I am gladly the first to officially recommend this blend by way of this review.