A mild, rough cut Burley which provides a mild smoke.

Notes: This was an Amar Blends Co. mixture. Cornell and Diehl bought the rights of all their old recipes.

Blended ByAmar Blends Co.
Blend TypeBurley Based
ContentsBurley
PackagingBulk, 8oz Tin, 16oz Tin
Strength
Very Strong
Taste
Full
Strong
2.4
Very Strong None Detected Full Strong

Fun With C&D Samples, Vol II, #5

Final chapter in Vol II - Vol III forthcoming, probably around the first of 2011.

Are you looking for a tobacco that fits the description above of a mild smoke? This isn't it! How C&D can characterize this as mild is a mystery. But are you looking for the perfect blending tobacco - something to add to an aromatic to make it taste more like tobacco, perhaps? This is it! I found this to be a cross between a slower burning Five Brothers and C&D's Big-N-Burley without the latakia.

I smoked 4 bowls of this straight and found it full flavored and tasty but a little strong for me. But added to things like Lane's 1Q, McClellands Best of Show, and other aromatics revealed the shortcomings of those blends... the lack of true honest tobacco flavor. Yes, they are soft and sweet but adding 10-20% of Kelly's Coin transformed them into very good blends while not detracting too much from the "aromatic experience". I also mixed this with other, lighter burleys with excellent results. A little dab into a light latakia fare elevated both blends! And adding a healthy dose of non-descript Turkish tobacco was a fun smoke.

I've never found a better blending tobacco that wasn't named perique. I use this like perique - as a spice... and it certainly does spice things up! I have no idea why this tobacco is so strong as opposed to other burleys I've smoked, but as an amateur blender (read: I ain't no Tarler or Runowski by a long shot!), this is fun and enjoyable stuff. No blending table is complete without a lot of Kelly's Coin!

k9zm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
k9zm (7)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

I have been doing a fair sampling of burley recently. Kelly's Coin had a single, unflattering, but interesting review. While I had the good folks at C&D on the phone placing an order, I asked for a sample of Kelly's Coin and what they could tell me about it.

It is apparently intended to be used in blending. Oh, it's quite smokable. But as the other reviewer said, it's strong. I have a 7/8 inch bowl fired up and it's telling me that yes, it's quite strong. But I wanted the maximum effect. Nice flavor. Good solid tobacco taste. A bit of sweetness from the leaf. Plain, yet a hint of a fire cured flavor. Not unlike that of the strong ropes. With just a nice bit of moisture, it smokes very cool and leaves a fine gray, powdery ash.

My sample came, as a few other recent blends, just a bit moist. They have been working on that. Something to do with humidity in winter. An hour on a sheet of paper brought it to a very suitable moisture level.

This was just perfect for my needs. Something I have been looking for. I now have a perfect blending tobacco to "kick it up a notch"! Those milder blends that I have trouble smoking because they are simply too light in strength and flavor can now be made wonderful with the simple addition of a small amount of Kelly's Coin. No worries that it will take the blend over with an odd taste. Just good tobacco flavor.

Yes, I will be getting a lot more of Kelly's Coin.

Enjoy!

Carlos

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (73)
Strong None Detected Full Overwhelming

'Provides a mild smoke?' There is nothing at all mild about Kelly's Coin. There are many cheap cigars in this world and Cornell & Diehl's No.005 tastes like they took a bunch of them, ground them up, and called it pipe tobacco. This dry, chunky Burley is harsh, hot, bland, and smells very, very bad. Not bad in that Latakia or Perique way which, as we all know, is actually good, but bad in the burning carpet or cat kind of way. This is the only tobacco that my long suffering wife has ever ordered me out of the house for smoking. She was right to do so.

How it is that Cornell & Diehl could have so many very fine Burley blends and still feel justified in selling this stuff is beyond me.

Hacking and wheezing pseudo-regards,

A. Morley Jaques

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Very Strong None Detected Medium Strong

Bulk: Wide, short ribbon. Very dry, due to being in a plastic bag for a while.

Nicotine: strong

Overall: unpleasant, burned and stung my mouth. Not worth it.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Very Strong None Detected Full Very Strong

With all due respect to the Tarlers and the other nice folks at C&D, I agree with the esteemed reviewers below me in that KC is not as advertised. I should like to ?coin? a new tin description: ?A strong, rough cut Burley which provides a harsh and bitter smoke.? And I will let this serve as my succinct review of this blend. The only other C&D blend that I found as overwhelmingly strong was Gray Ghost.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this blend 6.0 out of 10.