A coarse cut burley without a bite!

Blended ByMcClelland
Manufactured ByMcClelland
Blend TypeBurley Based
ContentsBurley
Strength
Taste
2.3
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Molasses is the star flavor, though here and there I got a hint of nuttiness. Burns well, though I would not puff it very fast. Leaves a little dottle at the finish. It's okay as a outdoor work smoke that you don't have to think much about, but nothing special. As a mixer, use sparingly or the molasses will over take the other components.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 8

After Taste = 7

Raw Score = 46

Rated Percentage = 77%

Comment = Smooth, Burley Bite is not to bad, good Burley Flavor, this blend is not nearly as good as Lane Limited BLWB

Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A fellow member of my pipe club loves Burley blends and purchased this one thinking it was uncased Burley. Not enjoying the added flavoring, he gifted the bag to our club's tobacco bar one month and I snatched up a bowl. Whew, this is certainly cased and not just mildly so. I sure picked up a maple syrup type of flavoring (similar to McClelland's Townsman Cavendish series), that made the smoke a little "off" for me. I do like Burley and the Burley notes darted in and out, but mostly my palate was overwhelmed by the Maple flavoring.

Certainly a value smoke for aromatic lovers.

Jallen49 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jallen49 (22)

I will try to extract this review from my total history with the tobacco and not simply my most recent encounter with it, for I may have allowed it to dry out slightly too much.

With that said, on with the review...

I gave this 3 stars because it has the potential to be a 3-star tobacco. As with all aros, this has the tenancy to smoke on the hot side, and I think that can be avoided if packed accordingly. I did notice slight gurgle, but I've had worse and it really didn't bother me.

I really enjoy the room note, and it has that wonderful (to be expected with burley) molasses note that I love. My most recent experience was on the hot side, but I hadn't smoked this package in a long time so I forgot how it acts.

I'm certain there are better burley blends out there, but all in all, if smoked and packed accordingly, this will not be an awful experience.

slprl1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
slprl1 (4)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I found Biteless Burley to have a very pleasant and easy light. It stayed lit easily. This is a tobacco that is meant to be used when you're able to really sit back relax, go slow and take your time. When I enjoyed it that way, I found it be very consistent throughout the entire bowl. I experienced a creamy mouth feel that turned buttery as I progressed. I tasted of rich buttery caramel as it slowly and maintained a soothing warm temperature. Others in the same area said it had a pleasing aroma of caramel and/or chocolate.

I would recommend you try an Ounce or two for the relaxing first bowl of the evening.

Pagercat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pagercat (41)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

Appearance: Fluffy coconut-brown leaves of Burley. Pounch Smell: Very sweet, maple syrup notes Feel: Soft, light, wet and sticky Flavor: Very sweet, sugar, maple syrup Burn: Hot, harsh, steamy, biting Notes: This seems to be McClelland's "X-10" (unflavored Burley Ribbon) with a top dressing. The top dressing is so strong that it causes this tobacco to smoke very hot and wet. My mouth was "steam cleaned" while smoking this and my tounge burned throughout the smoke. There is a lot of PG in here and that just adds to the problem.

Being that the name of this is "Biteless Burley" I find it only appropriate to warn anyone wishing to try this that it is by far anything but "biteless". One would be bitten less french kissing an angry alligator than smoking a bowl of this.

grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (45)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Tolerable

It's been years since I've smoked Lane's BLWB, the target this McClelland blend is shooting for. I can remember not being crazy about the Lane's blend, a tad bland I thought.

I'm not crazy about the McClelland version either. Although I do find that as I approach my dotage I have an increased liking for a mild (bland) smoke, this tobacco has the curse of all McClelland blends save their Virginia flakes and most of the oriental mixtures: the most tenacious, boorish humectant used by any tobacco blender.

The worst part is, I keep on falling for it! Every few years they release blends that sound so delicious that I hope that this time things have changed. Oh well.

I give it two stars knowing that although I loathe the stuff there are any number of pipers who are happy with this type of blend. Enjoy.

Someday McClelland will do a Burley blend that will rival their flakes; I just know it!