In the early 1800's. the British Royal Navy opened tobacco trade routes to the New World. The British Admirals were ordered to ship the finest tobacco harvested in the New World to the Royal Family. Because only the best tobacco leaves were allowed to make the voyage back home, they became known as the "Admiral's Choice".

Notes: Dream Castle/Admiral's Choice pipe tobaccos are manufactured by Sutliff Tobacco Company.

BrandDream Castle Tobacco Company
Very Mild, Mild to Medium
Taste
unixhelp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
unixhelp (7)

Wife picked it up for me on the way to the Canadian border for me to smoke on the drive back home, it's a nice tobacco for what it is. No tongue bite, a little wet but overall has a nice taste and room note....at $12 for 12 ounces I'll give it another try .

Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

The last time I tried this, it was pretty bad. It seems the top dressing has changed...for the worse!

Pkloop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pkloop (41)
Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

This is also sold as Consolidated's "Gold Burley" My sample is from the 8oz bag..

Upon opening the bag I find an all brown ribbon cut burley..the cut isn't a perfect ribbon though..some of the leaves just look like they were torn up. Smells ok & I detect some kind of topping. Whatever the topping is it is lightly applied.

Packing: Packs easy. It arrives somewhat moist, but by no means wet, and this seems to facilitate the packing.

Lighting & Smoking: Takes to flame easily. Quick tamp & relight and thats it. As for the smoking, this blend just leaves me flat. It doesn't taste bad, it's just very plain. Again, whatever its topped with doesn't seem noticable in the smoke. I suppose every once in a while I get a nutty burley taste..I think. Smokes cool & dry anyway.

Finish: Burns down with little remaining dottle..slightly ashy tasting finish. Room note seems unoffensive.

Pros: Its cheap..at 5 & 1/2 bucks a throw..may have use as a blender? Tone down a bitey VA? Cons: It has no taste!

I doubt I will ever buy this again..Hell..I doubt I'll ever finish the 8oz's I've got.. 2 of 4..just too plain

PipeNeophyte Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeNeophyte (10)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the least-cased of the Admiral's Choice blends. Like I said about the other two, it's good stuff for a beginner or for your day-in, day-out/party smokes. This stuff is pretty versatile... good for fishing and hiking and I even pack some of my nicer pipes with it.