I can't be impartial here: This mixture was my favorite in this category and for years. It is the least sweet in this family of tobaccos, though the pouch aroma is still evidently sweet and very pleasant. This will show later in the aroma of the burned tobacco. Upon lighting, there is a slightly bitter taste, combined with a bit of sourness and sweetness. You know that you're in for an enjoyable ride! The percentage of Latakia has apparently been determined with great care and expertise; it enriches the taste of the other tobaccos, adding its woodiness and smokiness to them, without the slightest attempt at assuming more importance than that the blender envisioned while creating the mixture. This is simply a "delicious" smoke and a sign of a great blending talent. The room aroma is highly pleasant. Ideally any time of the day, particularly to be smoked in the company of non-smokers.

Notes: A modern English blend.

BrandSchürch
Blended ByHans Scurch
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Latakia, Virginia
CountryCH
Strength
Taste

Hans Schurch has been blending tobacco since the 1960’s and he has created some of my favorite English blends. He also has a line of blends that he calls “Modern English” style blends. Azurite is one of the Modern English blends of his I have been smoking on and off for about a year. At the end of the day I would define all of the ones I have smoked thus far as English Aromatics. The description of this blend is pretty accurate. It is definitely a mixture of sweet, sour and bitter. It needs to be dried some before smoking and I do find this to be a little less aromatic than Marcassite and Unakit. There is a slight berry taste that is found in greater proportion in Lapis. Like all of the Schurch blends, this is a high quality tobacco that I think would be great without any added flavoring. I get the bitter and sour in the beginning and more sweet through the rest of the smoke. I needed to smoke Azurite slower than a typical English blend as any pushing caused the flavor to really suffer. As with the other Modern English blends, I can’t smoke this on a daily basis. While Azurite is an aromatic English, I would not lump it together with other aromatics. Actually, I wouldn’t lump Schurch aromatic blends with other aromatics either, as Schurch seems to be in his own dimension. As a point of reference, Sillim’s Black, another popular aromatic English, has far more casing than this blend. This won’t ghost a pipe like Sillim’s, but I would be hesitant to smoke it in a favorite briar reserved for your favorite English blends. As a group, I find Lapis more favorable, but that is just a matter of taste. All in all, Azurite is a nice change of pace and a nice bridge for aromatic smokers that are looking to step into the English realm.

Purchased From: Synjeco